• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Teknoman

Was Umjammer not popular back in the day? You can get a new copy on Amazon for like 7 bucks but Parappa is 20 something used alone.

leroidys

Picked these up for $2.99 each a little while ago at my local goodwill, all complete and in very good condition, all the little teeth that hold the disc in intact and the manuals are pristine.

nWHowpc.jpg

Especially happy about Rival Schools! Funny enough, this is the second complete copy of Legend of Dragoon I found at that same goodwill.

Teknoman

I dont think i've ever seen the standard release Dragoon before. I always run into greatest hits. Grats on that Rival Schools too, especially in excellent condition.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, RS is insanely rare. Or at least valuable.

Really? Huh. That's one of those games I traded into EBGames back in my stupid days.

Though, I also had (actually, still have) the upgraded Japanese sorta-sequel that has two more characters (Ran and Nagare), new stages, and a couple new mini games. That was the first game I ever imported.

Anyway, I played through Lammy. I forgot how good this game is. I loved it. I thought for a while that Gitaroo Man might be my favorite music game ever, but honestly... I think Lammy just has more charm. This has taken back the crown for me. Only problem I had was that I played the game on a laggy-ass LCD. Took me 7 tries to beat the first stage... but then I breezed through everything after that, once I'd figured out the timing.

As far as the Japanese version goes... yeah. Kind of amusing to see the references to Hell and the devil that were omitted from the US version. The only thing I prefer about the US version is the song that plays in the credits. The US version has a vocal song with some pretty humorous lyrics, but the JP version has an instrumental, brass band version of the song.

Teknoman

Just grabbed Lammy. After hearing the first two songs, I had to have it lol. Gitaroo Man is one of the best games in the known universe though.

Picked these up for $2.99 each a little while ago at my local goodwill, all complete and in very good condition, all the little teeth that hold the disc in intact and the manuals are pristine.

nWHowpc.jpg

Especially happy about Rival Schools! Funny enough, this is the second complete copy of Legend of Dragoon I found at that same goodwill.

DAYUM nice haul

Shingro

Fans of board games might find some goodness in an old game called Top Shop. It's like monopoly but far more dynamic and crazy. Even today I still bring it out when there's enough people around

nWHowpc.jpg

I need to start going to my local goodwill. The condition of those...

alf717

So, is Parasite Eve 2 worth bothering with? I know it's basically a RE-style game, but is it actually... y'know, good?

Personally I didn't like the changes they made to the game. Wish it would have played more like the first game then try to be RE with a twist. I only got as far as the desert and never bothered playing it since.

Fans of board games might find some goodness in an old game called Top Shop. It's like monopoly but far more dynamic and crazy. Even today I still bring it out when there's enough people around

I bought a copy of this but the disc I got was damaged :\

Need to buy another copy some day.

Danny Dudekisser

I've given up. In my town all they have is clothing. It's depressing as hell going in to those places and all they have is hand-me-down clothing. It's gross.

Don't feel bad, bro. I went to Disc Replay yesterday, just to scope it out (the same place Hero of the Day is finding all that sweet shit), and these were the highlights:

mEqYlyl.jpg

They had like 10 other games, but they were all busted up copies of Tony Hawk, along with Syphon Filter 3. Good thing I hadn't gone there with any sort of expectation!

Point is, I'd rather have someone's hand-me-down JNCO jeans than play Syphon Filter.

Danny Dudekisser

Looking it up, the Bandai version is actually pretty rare. Maybe I should buy it just to hawk to some fool.

... probably too lazy, though.

Don't feel bad, bro. I went to Disc Replay yesterday, just to scope it out (the same place Hero of the Day is finding all that sweet shit), and these were the highlights:

They had like 10 other games, but they were all busted up copies of Tony Hawk, along with Syphon Filter 3. Good thing I hadn't gone there with any sort of expectation!

Point is, I'd rather have someone's hand-me-down JNCO jeans than play Syphon Filter.

Which Disc Replay did you go to?

nWHowpc.jpg

The salt in my veins of envy is percolating.

Amazing finds.

televator

Will I ever find such a paradise?

*Notices avatar...starts singing ~Stray~*

DARCIA!

Lol!

Darcia voice: Paradise is mine!

Honestly though, Ive gone out of my way visiting several goodwills around my state. Eventually you figure out whichones tend to have treasure. A goodwill near the university tends to have a lot of 16 bit games on ocasion.

kick51

Banned
Bolingbrook one. I'll probably check out the Naperville store tomorrow. I'm not actually looking to buy anything from one of them, I'm just kinda curious what's out there.

The one in hoffman estates is pretty loaded with games. A lot of the prices are fucked though, same as the Skokie one.

They both put their more valuable stuff online, so no real awesome finds to be had. I'm pretty done with game hunting in the North/NW burbs though, since everyone puts everything online these days. I check People Play Games first, since they'll usually be around the same or a little bit less than online prices and I can walk right over there without the shipping hassle. otherwise, the used game outlook for chicagoland is bleak!

leroidys

If it makes you guys feel better, I had Suikoden II as a kid and never would have sold it, but a friend lost it, so I'm still in the red as far as my PS1 collection goes.

And then another friend bought Mega Man Legends for 99 cents, played it for 3 minutes, and literally threw it in the gargbage because "it was the worst game [he] had ever played".

Yeah I don't let my friends around PS1 stuff anymore.

Lol!

Darcia voice: Paradise is mine!

Honestly though, Ive gone out of my way visiting several goodwills around my state. Eventually you figure out whichones tend to have treasure. A goodwill near the university tends to have a lot of 16 bit games on ocasion.
Lol if only I had Steve Blum's godly vocals.

Hmm i am attending a university so maybe I'll look closer rather than in the city, but SF just doesn't seem to be a good place to go game hunting really on the whole.

They both put their more valuable stuff online, so no real awesome finds to be had. I'm pretty done with game hunting in the North/NW burbs though, since everyone puts everything online these days. I check People Play Games first, since they'll usually be around the same or a little bit less than online prices and I can walk right over there without the shipping hassle. otherwise, the used game outlook for chicagoland is bleak!

Wow, that's shitty that they put their good stuff online.

hipgnosis

fF0Tnkz.jpg

A couple of additions to the collection. That Gran Turismo is a French exclusive edition with three discs.

I believe War of The Worlds is a PAL exclusive also.

Danny Dudekisser

Can someone point me to a guide that can teach me how to make my US PS1 play Japanese imported games?

What model PS1, and are you comfortable soldering in a mod chip?

In basically every case, I'd recommend throwing in a mod chip, because it's completely hassle-free once it's installed.

The other method of playing PS1 games would be to use a swap disc, which is the biggest pain in the ass in the world. The way the swap disc method works is you have a Game Enhancer cart plugged into the back of your Playstation, you turn the system on with a US PS1 game inside, and then you remove the disc and swap in the import game you want to play.

I did the swap trick method for years, and I hated it.

In basically every case, I'd recommend throwing in a mod chip, because it's completely hassle-free once it's installed.

The other method of playing PS1 games would be to use a swap disc, which is the biggest pain in the ass in the world. The way the swap disc method works is you have a Game Enhancer cart plugged into the back of your Playstation, you turn the system on with a US PS1 game inside, and then you remove the disc and swap in the import game you want to play.

I am comfortable soldering a modchip...I'm not sure of my model number, I'll have to take a look when I get home from work today.

Todays pickup:

I wasn't sure about the price, but looking online it looks like I did pretty decent. Has the instructions and is all in great shape.

Need to find the first game now. Never played them. I keep finding the sequels to games, but not the first.

North American "Tales of Destiny II" is actually Tales of Eternia. There's no connection to Tales of Destiny.

OmahaG8

Can anyone else with a PSOne LCD chime in?

It's not a big deal - at all, but just wondering. I just bought a new old-stock official LCD screen off eBay CIB. Looks great, not even a scratch. Manual/power cable still in bags, unopened, etc.

Screen looks great, sound is great (way louder than expected!). The image itself appears to be off-center to the right about 2-3 mm. As in - the slim black border on the edges of the screen is larger on the left than on the right. Again - not a big deal, but is this just "to be expected"? I have no problem with that.

Thanks

Zing

Banned
Can anyone else with a PSOne LCD chime in?

It's not a big deal - at all, but just wondering. I just bought a new old-stock official LCD screen off eBay CIB. Looks great, not even a scratch. Manual/power cable still in bags, unopened, etc.

Screen looks great, sound is great (way louder than expected!). The image itself appears to be off-center to the right about 2-3 mm. As in - the slim black border on the edges of the screen is larger on the left than on the right. Again - not a big deal, but is this just "to be expected"? I have no problem with that.

Thanks
The LCD panel is likely fine. It's just the game. I find that most PSone games are shifted in one direction or another. I think it wasn't given concern by developers because it was still in the "safe area". The LCD panel will just show the full display area, so there should be a lot of gaps along the sides.

Weird. Hope it's good. That's the most I've paid for a PSX game.
I'd expect to pay $80-100 for either ToD game. I paid $200 for both a few years ago, and that was the high going rate. I actually sold my ToD II on eBay earlier this year for $120, but the buyer never paid. I decided to just keep the game. I really enjoy the first but haven't completed it yet.

That magazine photo makes me want to read old magazines. I went back and re-read all Nintendo Power and Super Play. I never did find a good source for PSX magazine scans. Retromags doesn't have them.

I'd expect to pay $80-100 for either ToD game. I paid $200 for both a few years ago, and that was the high going rate. I actually sold my ToD II on eBay earlier this year for $120, but the buyer never paid. I decided to just keep the game. I really enjoy the first but haven't completed it yet.

Yeah, looks like it gets down to about $90 on auctions, and up to $120 with buy it now. Cheapest buy it now right now is $122 after shipping, cheapest on Amazon right now is $113.

I was afraid buying it since I really didn't know. Their prices are usually good, but every once in a while you'll see something higher than it should be.

My Model No. is SCPH-9001

it says March 2000 on the bottom too. What else helps to identify?

Mr.Fox

One of the reasons why I liked the DS last gen was that it kinda had the PS1 vibe to it. The limited hardware forced a lot of devs to be creative when using 2D and 3D elements in their games.

I wonder if we will ever see a new change in the industry that causes a boom of creativity in the development scene, like it happened in the beginning of the 3D era. Unfortunately the last attempts of big change we saw, like motion controls or VR, did not really help expand anything, they are limiting factors actually, since they only work properly for a niche of genres.

I remember being very resistant to 3D in the beginning, the games just looked too ugly for me in comparison to the 2D games we had at the time. Capcom was certainly my favorite publisher because they were still releasing a lot of great 2D games, like Megaman X series and the X-men vs Street Fighter series. But today, the majority of games I remember I loved on the PS1 are actually 3D, pretty much the entire Crash Bandicoot library for the console (specially Crash 3 and CTR), same thing for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (3 was my favourite), Tekken 3, Rival Schools, Dino Crisis 2, Syphon Filter, Bomberman Fantasy Racing, Soul Edge, Fighting Force, Bloody Roar 2, Toy Story 2, Vigilant 8, etc etc etc.

Dear god... I'm having a reality shock here, I remember way too many games. How did I even had time to play all of it? Most of them I even finished multiple times.

Top Bottom