• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Mzo

Yes! My local place got a very nice copy of Tecmo's Deception. Been waiting to try this out for a long time.

Yuterald

So yesterday i was playing some Rayxanber III on the PC Engine and decided to look up the developer Data West (not do be confused with Data East) on MobyGames. Turns out they released only one game on the PS1 and it's called Brave Prove. It was only released in Japan. From what i can tell it's an ARPG in the same vein as Terranigma and Alundra with dungeons, traps and puzzles. It looks great and i'm gonna hunt this one down fo sure!

ss3.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss6.jpg

ss17.jpg

omg wtf is this!? I neeeeeeed this!!!

Zing

Banned
I've been neglecting my PSone for a couple weeks. Yesterday, I decided that I didn't like all my games being in an under-bed drawer, so I bought a pair of shelves from ikea. Now all my games are out on display right next to the gaming TV. It inspired me to boot up Jumping Flash. I ended up playing it for two hours. I loaded up my world-4 save and made it all the way to extra-5.

Only beef with this game is that it is very easy. If I were to start from the beginning, I'd have 20 lives by the time I got to where I am now. I very rarely die, and when I do, it's just impatience causing me to fall off.

CrovaxPSO

So I've been playing some of my imports using a PS-X-Change 2 boot disc, but Tokimeki Memorial 2 brings up that anti-mod chip screen. There's a card with the boot disc that says there are codes to bypass the screen, but unsurprisingly the URL no longer works. I found a Gameshark code but that doesn't work. Is there just no way to play a game with this boot disc if nobody on the internet noted down the codes?

Todays pickups:

Pretty good. I was disappointed though. They had posted a Mega Man Legends on their facebook for $20, but it was already gone by the time I got their. Just grabbed Time Crisis since I got a boxed gun a few weeks back, but didn't have any games to play with it.

A friend who was with picked up Digimon World 2. They had it priced at $40, which is a pretty good price. When they wrung it up they told him the price had actually lowered and it was only $25. Ridiculously good price.

Pretty good day all around other than I bought Shenmue for Dreamcast and got home and realized it's missing a disc, so gonna have to return it.

Hey guys, what's the verdict on the Resident Evil Director's Cut on PSN?

I played (and thoroughly loved) both RE2&3 on my Vita, and now I want to play the one that started it all.

But....from what I've heard, the music in this version is terribad. The music in RE2 and 3 were pretty integral to the atmosphere, and I'm not sure I can stomach a whole game of fart music.

Is it worth playing this version at all? Or should I hold out/find some other way of playing the game?

Todays pickups:

Pretty good. I was disappointed though. They had posted a Mega Man Legends on their facebook for $20, but it was already gone by the time I got their. Just grabbed Time Crisis since I got a boxed gun a few weeks back, but didn't have any games to play with it.

A friend who was with picked up Digimon World 2. They had it priced at $40, which is a pretty good price. When they wrung it up they told him the price had actually lowered and it was only $25. Ridiculously good price.

Pretty good day all around other than I bought Shenmue for Dreamcast and got home and realized it's missing a disc, so gonna have to return it.

Time crisis is cool. Not nearly as good looking as the arcade original, but a blast to play, and the bonus campaign isn't bad either.

Velinos

Todays pickups:

Grats on the pickups. Star Ocean, Chrono Cross, and Breath of Fire 3 are awesome games. Megaman X4 was pretty good, though not as good as the SNES games. I never played Time Crisis.

Grats on the pickups. Star Ocean, Chrono Cross, and Breath of Fire 3 are awesome games. Megaman X4 was pretty good, though not as good as the SNES games. I never played Time Crisis.

I haven't played the X games since I was a kid. I only really liked 1 & 2 back then. Now I have all the SNES and PSX ones, so it's time to go through them in order. I'm not sure I've ever even played 5 and 6. They don't look familiar. We'll see.

Mega Man X5 annoys me with its messages that you're forced to read in the middle of levels. "Hey, there's a gap there! You better jump that!"...stuff resembling that just keeps popping up all over the place throughout levels and it's incredibly annoying and really takes you out of the moment and slows things down unnecessarily. I think it gets toned down later on in the game, though.

Mega Man X6 still has them, but they're optional. You get some little "Press Select" thing if you want to read them, but the game doesn't stop moving anymore for them. However, the game has ridiculous level design, from what I can remember. I think I only played it once or twice, though, but I do definitely remember the level design getting a lot of hate.

The only PlayStation one I really like is Mega Man X4, which is pretty great...though, I still prefer to play any one of the SNES games over it, but that's just me. There's nothing really wrong with X4, I just prefer the first three games. X1 is easily the best in the series.

Edit: I'm currently playing Blaze Heatnix's stage in Mega Man X6. Whoever designed this is a fucking asshole. Do we really need to fight this annoying and un-fun mini-boss over and over and over again? Ugh.

Zing

Banned
I thought X4 was incredible. The only SNES one that was better was X imo
Agree strongly. I played x through x5 all consecutively over the span of a couple months. X is the best, just barely beating X4. X2 is the next best, but even it trails X4 by a significant margin.

Timu

X1-X5 were all great games, then after that the series gets worse but at least X8 is better than X7 and I think X6 even.

Zing

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I've been searching for a good deal on sealed crimson red and slate grey Sony memory card for years. The red is fairly common, but the grey is virtually non existent in sealed retail package. Last night I stumbled across a good eBay deal on the red card and bought it. The seller has the motherload of sealed stuff: controllers in all colours and memory cards. I check the sellers history, and mere hours before, he had a sealed slate grey memory card.

I am so tempted to make an offer for the full set of controllers. I wouldn't use them, just for collection.

oldmario

SO have they fixed the Tomba 2 Japanese thing on PSN yet? I remember playing Tomba 2 demos and i downloaded the game only to find out it was the Japanese verison. Anyway, Spyro 2 is a great game. Spyro 3 focused too much on unfun playable characters to me to be anything more than a decent game.

if you're on about the US store, it's supposed to be in japanese

Here's the weird thing, they said it's the Japanese version because they couldn't get the American working, yet Tomba 2 on the EU store is the SCEA version

Here's the weird thing, they said it's the Japanese version because they couldn't get the American working, yet Tomba 2 on the EU store is the SCEA version

Tomba! 2 on the EU store (I'm in the UK store right now) is the SCEE version (which is the PAL version). Sony often said that sometimes the PAL version of a game works on the PS3, while the US version doesn't.

Leynos

Well, I've been on a PSX kick lately, and finished Colony Wars 1 and 2. It really surprised me how much of the dialogue, and cinematics I remembered despite not playing either game in about ten years. Both games are quite fun, but I prefer the first as I loved all of the extra background they put into the game: every fighter, ship, space station, planetary system, sun, planet, and moon has a history with accompanying voice-over. No wonder that the first game was released in two disks. I do, however, like that you have a choice of customizable ships in Vengeance.

I really want to pick up G-Police 1 and 2, and Star Trek: Isolation to tide over my space fighter itch. I just wish that I could play X-Wing, and Tie Fighter easily as I've never tried them.

Right now I'm playing Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, and am loving it. Sure, the game is a bit janky, and has ridiculous load times, but it sure is atmospheric, and that story/voice over is still top-notch.

Timu

My brother bought Tekken 3 so I decided to play it for the 1st time and this is my 4th Tekken game after 6, Revolution and Tag Tournament 2. I am so new to Tekken still, lol. What impressed me is how the game actually worked with my Avermedia capture card as it hates anything under 480i, but my Dazzle was able to do 240p and 480i with it along with my Avermedia doing 480i for the game.

I wonder if playing this game at 480p on PS3 would help. Anyways, screenies as Nina:
ihOyRe0Imncfv.PNG
ielzBmB6udExv.PNG
ibwGbx7UWbxWNA.PNG

With heavy interlacing it's best to do screens while fighters are standing still not moving much at all.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Eddy Gordo's theme is one of the most memorable things for me in gaming, ever. I dunno why. Tekken 3 was my first PS1 game I got, back when I was in 5th grade, and I was just completely fucking transfixed by it. But Eddy's stage always just stood out to me. I dunno.

I was a weird kid.

Zing

Banned
Tekken 3 bothered me due to it being 480i instead of the solid 240p of the previous games. The interlacing was very distracting.

nyprimus2

I'm looking into buying a Sony PVM for retro gaming. The system I'm initially most interested in playing is the PS1. There is a PVM on craigslist near me that has composite, s-video, and RGB inputs. If my research is correct, all PS1's support RGB output. I get easily confused by trying to figure out the differences between RGB, Scart, Component, Red Green Blue when sifting through the vast amount of information on the subject because different people have different levels of expertise. Also I am a US gamer.

What cable do I need to get RGB from a PS1 to the PVM?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So it's been one year since I made this thread. I've been buying up a LOT of video games within the past year or so. The scope of this has been bigger than I originally intended it to, but I think I'm at least 90%-95% of where I want to be with my retro video game collection.

PS1 is still a bit of a work in progress. I was actually somewhat ignorant about the PS1 as a system as I skipped that generation growing up and only played the N64 at a friend's house. Still kind of building it out but I'm mostly done, I think. I am proud of the fact that EVERYTHING is black label.

Click here for the full album.

oldmario

Tomba! 2 on the EU store (I'm in the UK store right now) is the SCEE version (which is the PAL version). Sony often said that sometimes the PAL version of a game works on the PS3, while the US version doesn't.

just looked at my copy, says Sony Computer Entertainment America when you launch it and it runs at 60hz also mentioning it only runs in 60hz in the xmb background image

and also sony said the PAL versions don't always work this is why some of the games on psn are the american versions such as spyro 1-3 and i think the last 2 RE games

Ramune

A SCART RGB cable like this:
http://www.play-asia.com/rgb-cable-with-audio-and-guncon-output-paOS-13-49-en-70-7f.html

+

A SCART to BNC adapter like this:
http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html

I can verify that Play-Asia cable is European SCART RGB, not JP21. Those RCA breakouts are there for Guncon support if you don't have an original model PS1.

Actually, stay far away from that Play-Asia cable. You get what you pay for especially in this case. I was fooled by the cheap price tag and got this:

DSC_0037.PNG

Terrible picture and also obvious signal noise. These things just aren't shielded properly I'm thinking.

Instead I recently acquired a cable from retro_console_accessories, and couldn't be happier with this:

2014-06-15%2020.52.09.png

Clear picture and colors, and NO noise. Yeah it's $19, but it's well worth it. But what about the Guncom you may be asking (I have one too). Then Sony(and some 3rd parties) have your back as they released AV adapters that will do the job! Can be found pretty cheaply and you just plug the SCART's Multiout plug into the bottom of this thing!

scph-10130u_large.jpg

And, I know, this is from a PS2 and this is on a thread all about PS1 and it's games. Well this thing will work with PSs 1-3, so your well covered regardless how you get your PS1 on!

And if you want pics from a PS1 or it's games let me know, and I'll post some more!

Hmm, maybe you got a defective one. Mine's great.

they also made one of those breakout cables for PS1. I still have mine from owning Time Crisis back in the day (model number SCPH 1160).

9047677-9047677-0.jpg

pikablu

Anyone else after the final sports titles for the system?

Fifa 2005
Madden 2005

I've literally never seen them in the wild.

Zing

Banned
My local shop had both earlier this year when I was shopping for sports games. I passed on both after reading reviews. I'm stopping by there tomorrow, so I'll check if they still have them.

Zing

Banned
I'd be interested in knowing the prices.
I stopped by today instead. They had neither game. I remember FIFA being $9.99 as I almost bought it. At the time I had RTWC98 which seemed to be the better game, so I passed.

Of course, I acquired ISS Pro Evolution a couple months later and never touched FIFA again. What a major difference!

Zing

Banned

I bought these today from a local shop. I don't recall exactly where I heard that Pitfall 3D was a decent game, but after watching a couple videos of it, I was sold.

I noticed the strike games at the shop also. I actually walked out without buying them, but quickly youtubed to see what they were like. I have also seen the SNES games mentioned repeatedly in Super Play magazine as being good, so I walked back in and bought both. I paid $25 for all three games, so I figured there was nothing to lose.

I'm going to finish up Jumping Flash (I'm still on extra-5) and then start up Pitfall. The World Cup is consuming all my free time, however.

…

Speaking of the strike games, I read that a final game in the series called Future Strike was planned. Instead, it turned out as Future Cop LAPD. Any opinions on this game?

Leynos

Future Cop LAPD is genuinely a fantastic game. It's fun, the FMVs are rather silly, and the multi-player is damn fun. And this coming from someone who generally hates multi-player.

Speaking of the strike games, I read that a final game in the series called Future Strike was planned. Instead, it turned out as Future Cop LAPD. Any opinions on this game?

Future Cop LAPD is genuinely a fantastic game. It's fun, the FMVs are rather silly, and the multi-player is damn fun. And this coming from someone who generally hates multi-player.

Gonna agree on this one Future Cop LAPD is good, and it's very different from the strike games imo. I played both FC LAPD and Soviet Strike back in the day, I did not like Soviet Strike, but really enjoyed FC LAPD. Played it again recently on a PSP, still holds up nicely.

Zing

Banned
Spyro_2_talisman.jpg

another awesome series. I've been playing these on my vita (a great way to play ps1 games btw)
Spyro 2 is definitely the best in the series.

Over the past ten years of me having a significant PSone game collection, I have had several periods where I came very close to selling the collection for various reasons. This was avoided many times by the thought of replaying the Spyro series and the great memories of my toddler daughter sitting on the couch watching me play.

ascii42

I bought these today from a local shop. I don't recall exactly where I heard that Pitfall 3D was a decent game, but after watching a couple videos of it, I was sold.

I noticed the strike games at the shop also. I actually walked out without buying them, but quickly youtubed to see what they were like. I have also seen the SNES games mentioned repeatedly in Super Play magazine as being good, so I walked back in and bought both. I paid $25 for all three games, so I figured there was nothing to lose.

I'm going to finish up Jumping Flash (I'm still on extra-5) and then start up Pitfall. The World Cup is consuming all my free time, however.

…

Best part of Pitfall 3D is Bruce Campbell doing the voice of Pitfall Harry. Game otherwise was pretty solid, from what I remember.

Top Bottom