• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Zing

Banned
Is there anything to do with your money in the game? I did find a shop, but the items all seemed worthless, especially since I was skating through the game with ease already.

Also, are the familiars ever useful or interesting? Again, the game was so easy without using them that I didn't really bother. Are they ever required?

Yuterald

Got Tenchu Stealth Assassins today. What's the consensus on it?

A classic, imo. Worth playing by all means. One of the best, if not best action stealth games from that era (aside from MGS). Although technically not as good as Tenchu 2 (mechanically/stage design-wise), the OST makes up for any shortcomings the game has compared to the rest of the franchise. Like, seriously, the game is worth playing to hear the music alone. Punish that evil merchant!

ascii42

Is there anything to do with your money in the game? I did find a shop, but the items all seemed worthless, especially since I was skating through the game with ease already.

Also, are the familiars ever useful or interesting? Again, the game was so easy without using them that I didn't really bother. Are they ever required?

Been a good 10 years since I've played the game, but I remember liking having them around. If I remember correctly, the demon familiar could push buttons that you couldn't reach. You could also eventually equip the sword familiar. Other than that, they were just for support I believe. I particularly liked the Bat one, since another bat would appear when you transformed into a bat, and they could shoot fireballs.

televator

I would like to make ir clear, I did not say SotN was a shit game. Its just kicking my ass and the save room entrances could be more distinguished IMO. It would save me a lot of time and disappointment if save rooms were clearly marked or set more along an effortless path.

Also I love how for every game someone is having trouble in there is alway several posts of how childishly easy the game is and how people are such badasses who can beat said game blind folded while multitasking sex, business calls, and open heart surgery. Lol

Not really and not really.

I sure hope so.

He was sarcastically saying the opening of the game where you play as Richter was the entire game and complaining about how short it was. He was attempting to bust Zing's balls for saying the game was short when it actually seems like he only finished half the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The imp familiar unlocks a secret area in the
underground caverns
(or maybe it's the
Abandoned Mines
, I forget where exactly). I don't remember if other familiars will unlock it.

HMMM! A SWITCH! WHY DON'T I PRESS IT AND SEE!

The bat was awesome because it would fall in love with your bat form.

dat bish look transfers to bat mode

The neatest thing think is how they would multiply your shots in bat form. I assume it was to pay homage to options in Gradius.

---

I think SotN was really easy and it could have been at least partially remedied by doing away with the experience points system. Let all your upgrades be through equipment ala Metroid.

Velinos

And the sequel finally drops. $60 on Amazon. My RPG collection is nearing completion.
rItgVVil.jpg

And the sequel finally drops. $60 on Amazon. My RPG collection is nearing completion.
rItgVVil.jpg

Awesome buy! Definitely a nice price compared to what it's typically going for nowadays.

I'm playing through Legend of Legaia for the first time right now, but I'm actually considering playing through ToD for the first time next. Either that or Tactics Ogre.

putermcgee

I've recently been going through a nostalgia trip, and thinking about 90s wrestling games. I was way more into the THQ WCW/nWo series on N64, and I never had a chance to play anything on PSX.

Are there any really good PSX wrestling games? I really disliked the Acclaim wrestling titles on N64, so I'd probably avoid those on PSX as well. Also, I'm not against a more 2D/pixel-style like classic NES/SNES games.

I've recently been going through a nostalgia trip, and thinking about 90s wrestling games. I was way more into the THQ WCW/nWo series on N64, and I never had a chance to play anything on PSX.

Are there any really good PSX wrestling games? I really disliked the Acclaim wrestling titles on N64, so I'd probably avoid those on PSX as well. Also, I'm not against a more 2D/pixel-style like classic NES/SNES games.

It's either WWF Smackdown 1 and 2 or one of the import Fire Pro Wrestlings. Fire Pro Wresting G has great reviews from what I've seen. WCW vs the World is an earlier THQ take done on the PSX.

Tonight is the night. It is time to finish Wild Arms.

EDIT:

Liked it. Didn't love it. Had it's moments.

Gets better as it goes. The dungeons that require you to jump between the characters constantly to get through are awesome. Needed more of that. Liked the bonus bosses at the end. Game is pretty easy, especially once you get the second level of spells, so some challenge was appreciated.

Again, I liked it. But, hope Part Two is better.

yGray

Banned
Has there been any Breath of Fire IV love in this 50+ page thread. It's the only old school Rpg I was ever invested in.

Dove right into Mega Man Legends. This game seems pretty awesome. I played a bit of it as a kid but don't remember shit. Cut scene graphics are pretty damn impressive:

All the voice work is crazy too. Is the game pretty short or do they stop having so much voice work after the intro? Seems like they'd fill up a disc pretty quick if it was a full 10 hour + game with as much VO as the beginning has. Pretty good voice acting for a game of the era as well.

All the voice work is crazy too. Is the game pretty short or do they stop having so much voice work after the intro? Seems like they'd fill up a disc pretty quick if it was a full 10 hour + game with as much VO as the beginning has. Pretty good voice acting for a game of the era as well.

You can rush though it pretty fast with a guide, since it is an adventure game part of the game is finding out where you are suppose to go and talking to everyone. There continues to be a ton of voice work. A lot of secrets to find and hidden events. When I first played the game I didn't realize just how interactive things were and just assumed things like the artist lamenting over something being missing from her picture actually was just normal npc chat, not starts of side quests. Something really cool is how most npcs change what they say or even what they are doing after like every major and some minor events in the game.

The second game is much better control wise, but loses some of the adventure stuff with it being bunches of little areas instead of one big interconnected one. It is why I prefer the first game.

Renpatsu

There's a lot of pretty great, genre appropriate voice work throughout the entire game. Exploring those vast cavernous ruins and mapping out how they interconnect are one of my favourite things about the Mega Man Legends games.
theSlacker said:
The second game is much better control wise, but loses some of the adventure stuff with it being bunches of little areas instead of one big interconnected one. It is why I prefer the first game.
And I echo these sentiments. 2 brings you a more diverse sets of ruins to explore over various continents, but there is a light-heartedness to 1 that is lost in favour of a more dramatic game.

Timu

Offhand does anyone know any PS1 games that don't play nice on PS2?I know Gradius Gaiden is one of them.
Here's a list I found:

Tomba!
Arcade Party Pak
Arcade's Greatest Hits/Atari 2
Fighter Maker
Monkey Hero

Newer slims can't play several PS1 games from what I read.

Creepy ass Wily likes 'em young, and Mega Man seems in to it.

I'm really surprised I'm liking this game so much. I've always been super apathetic towards the Legends series. Maybe it's the fact the last few games I've played have been super serious RPGs so the lighter tone is doing it for me.

I'm still really impressed by all the voice work. Wonder what PSX game has the most voice acting.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Tomb Raider 2 (UK PAL) does not work on UK PS2 consoles.
Is it really? Because I tested it on my UK PS2 console and it was fine? The game is UK PAL too.
Adding to the post, Galerians doesn't work well on my PS2 Slim, as in it plays random sounds when walking. I think it depends on the model though.

hipgnosis

Dove right into Mega Man Legends. This game seems pretty awesome.

The game is fucking great and I think the graphics hold up well. They seem like some proto-cellshading. Music is awesome and exploration is great. The sequel is great as well. Love the snowy area right from the beginning.

Spyro 2 is definitely the best in the series.

Over the past ten years of me having a significant PSone game collection, I have had several periods where I came very close to selling the collection for various reasons. This was avoided many times by the thought of replaying the Spyro series and the great memories of my toddler daughter sitting on the couch watching me play.

Spyro 2 is still my favourite in the series though they were all great games and i still have spyro 2 and 3 on disc somewhere

Done. Was awesome. Controls are pretty janky, but you get used to it. And it's like Metal Gear Solid where they make the game pretty damn easy to compensate for shitty controls. Also like Metal Gear though is that it seems like your health drops fast if you start fucking up. Pretty much the goal is to never be hit, which is pretty easy.

Enjoyable little story and characters. Fairly short so it doesn't overstay its welcome. Will definitely check out Part Two.

Wonder if Part Two says the same thing after the credits...

Wonder if Part Two says the same thing after the credits...

Prepare to feel the pain that all the other Legend's fans have for years.

Also, how did you do on the side quests? Fill the museum second floor? Help the boys build their fort and then get them the comic and bugs? Help the little girl in the hospital? How about finding the pregnant lady? There is so many other little things around as well.

Lucky. I could never find that game anywhere locally, and the online prices for complete copies are ridiculous...so I just got the Wii version instead. Still hoping to get the original one day, even if the Wii remake is pretty much identical besides the graphics and voice acting.

Yeah, I ended up just buying it online for just a little bit under what it's going for. I'm at the point with PS1 collecting that the big games I don't have are ones I haven't seen locally or in-person for the past 6 years or so. Just need Team Buddies!

I started playing Klonoa last night and I LOVE how this game looks. I played a bit of the Wii one but this one just pops. The 2.5D stuff is great. It may have been where I was really tired last night, but I was already having some difficulty with the second vision. I'm honestly really bad at platformers so it might just be that showing. Definitely super excited to continue with it though.

My ps3 is dead, so I can't transfer my ps1 saves to my psp. I did back up a couple on a USB drive, but they're in .psv format and I'm not sure what to do in order to use them on my psp after transferring from a computer.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom