• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Got Mega Man Legends 1 today. So, it is done:

eoBGIyH.jpg

Not a huge accomplishment or anything, but I fucking love Mega Man so I'm happy. Just need two more of the GameBoy games and I'll have all the Mega Man games I care to own.

Never finished Legends or touched Part Two as a kid so as soon as I finish Wild Arms I think Legends is next on my list.

Teknoman

They hold up incredibly well. Graphics are clear and awesome for the era. I was blown away how good the Crash games look even today.

I think I need to give Spyro a shot then. I like Insomniac, but never had the chance to get into Spyro.

Got Mega Man Legends 1 today. So, it is done:

Not a huge accomplishment or anything, but I fucking love Mega Man so I'm happy. Just need two more of the GameBoy games and I'll have all the Mega Man games I care to own.

Never finished Legends or touched Part Two as a kid so as soon as I finish Wild Arms I think Legends is next on my list.

Just reminded me I still need to get that MML2 buffed.

Leynos

I think I need to give Spyro a shot then. I like Insomniac, but never had the chance to get into Spyro.

I don't know if it's the framerate, or what, but every time that I try to play Spyro, I end up with bad motion sickness, a migraine, and have to vomit. It looks fun, but I can't play it.

I just found a copy of Team Buddies at a local store for $8. I had to do a double take on the price.

ugh, I hate you! haha, been so close to pulling the trigger on this one lately.

went back to my undergrad stomping grounds for the past few days and one of my old buddies gave me a copy of einhander that doesn't work--has a pretty gnarly scratch. gonna try to repair it tomorrow at work...if I can somehow fix it, I'll be so thankful that I didn't win the auctions I was going for last week!

Just recently moved into a new house. I hooked up my PS1 in my office to test my SDTV to make sure it didn't break in the move. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. If I could find a memory card I would have booted up Symphony of the Night.

But then I wouldn't finish unpacking. Probably for the best.

Credo

I was thinking about importing some Japanese games, but I can't read Japanese at all, so I only want to consider games that can be enjoyed without knowing the language. Do any of you have some recommendations? No genres are restricted.

There was a thread in my subscriptions that reviewed a lot of Japanese PS1 games on PSN and told if they were playable by non-Japanese speakers, but all the image links are dead. This is the thread I'm talking about: Japanese PSN Game Archives Reviews

I was thinking about importing some Japanese games, but I can't read Japanese at all, so I only want to consider games that can be enjoyed without knowing the language. Do any of you have some recommendations? No genres are restricted.

There was a thread in my subscriptions that reviewed a lot of Japanese PS1 games on PSN and told if they were playable by non-Japanese speakers, but all the image links are dead. This is the thread I'm talking about: Japanese PSN Game Archives Reviews

Gradius Gaiden is a great import game without a language barrier.
Raiden Project isn't an import exclusive, but I say get the Japanese version because it has tate mode.
Dodonpachi, Salamander Deluxe Pack...

Basically any good shooter is a safe bet.

Some recent pickups.

Turns out that the busted Einhander that my friend gave me works perfectly after a run through the resurfacer! Super happy that I didn't cave on some BINs last week. Juggernaut and Thunder Force 5 were 25 cents each at a yard sale. Herc's Adventures and Hogs of War were from members on NA and Torneko was a splurge on eBay since it was the last game I needed to finish my complete NTSC PS1 RPG set.

r01Mu6rl.jpg

Teknoman

Finally found a place that might have a resurfacer. Its at a place called Movie Exchange (which I think might have been recommended before?).

Thunder Force V for 25 cents is just crazy. Best deal ever status.

Leynos

I'm so glad that Einhander works for you! One of my favorite games. And Herc's Adventures is a complete blast, I hope that you like it. It was made by the same team that did Zombies Ate My Neighbors!! I have the Saturn version , but no Saturn to play it on. :( I had to sell it a couple of years ago along with my Japanese games (the buyer did not want my American games) as I needed cash.

TnK

Is Herc's Adventure hard? I remember constantly playing the game from the start because I never saved for some odd reason. That, and some of the puzzles were hard for the young me.

Rich!

Anyone here heard of PSIO?

It's a flashcard being developed for the PS1 that uses the serial port and loads via SD, like an everdrive. Can patch games on the fly too, which is awesome for imports with translations available.

Anyone here heard of PSIO?

It's a flashcard being developed for the PS1 that uses the serial port and loads via SD, like an everdrive. Can patch games on the fly too, which is awesome for imports with translations available.

Parallel port, not serial. Not a big difference since there was only one ps1 revision that had the serial but not the Parallel, but there is still a difference between the two. If it wasn't only the last revision and the psone that didn't have the parallel port then I would expect the price of the units with it to rise a little because of this, but wouldn't bet on that.

Mzo

Put some time into Tecmo's Deception today. This really isn't like anything else I've played before.

I can't wait to finish it and go through the rest of the series. I'm excited to get to Deception IV.

Thanks guys! I was pretty stoked when I saw the price for TFV too. I had a copy a few years ago but sold it off a while back. Funnily enough, I also bid on a few auctions for it last week but got sniped at the end--guess it all works out for the best!

I popped in Herc's Adventures for about an hour or so the other night and I had a lot of fun with it. The presentation was top notch.

With both TFV and Herc's, I really wish I had gotten into Saturn collecting at the right time cause I'd like to try out the Saturn versions of a lot of PSX games. Doubt I'll ever get to now considering how pricey everything is.

Zing

Banned
I've always considered Herc's Adventures, but I didn't look into it much. Since it is using the Zombies Ate My Neighbors engine, I just assumed it had the same critical flaws which ruined that game for me. Pressing buttons to scroll through the dozen different weapons was unbearable.

televator

Finally got around to giving a serious go at Symphony of the Night. I'm trying to love this game and it just won't let me.

I played a half hour without finding a save room (I looked) and died. I ain't got time for that shit. Time down the tubes.

Leynos

I've always considered Herc's Adventures, but I didn't look into it much. Since it is using the Zombies Ate My Neighbors engine, I just assumed it had the same critical flaws which ruined that game for me. Pressing buttons to scroll through the dozen different weapons was unbearable.

There aren't nearly the number of weapons in Herc's Adventures as there is in ZAMN.

Finally got around to giving a serious go at Symphony of the Night. I'm trying to love this game and it just won't let me.

I played a half hour without finding a save room (I looked) and died. I ain't got time for that shit. Time down the tubes.

There's about zero chance you weren't right next to one and just missed it.

televator

There's about zero chance you weren't right next to one and just missed it.

I know! That's what burns the most. I made it to a new area after lots of exploring. I was super low on health and I started looking for a save room but just could find it in time.

I love Metroid, I loved Aria of Sorrow, but this game is breaking my heart.

It's been a good while since I last played it, but if I remember correctly there is a save outside of the room where you fight your first boss. You come to this tall room and it's like:

o= save point
x= first boss battle (Slogra and Gaibon)

There are other rooms too that branch off of there obviously, but those two are all that matter at the moment. I think you enter from the right towards the middle and drop down to get to the save room. Again, it's been a while so I may be a little fuzzy there.

Zing

Banned
I made it all the way through SOTN in one sitting. I felt totally disappointed. The game was insanely easy. I may think differently of it now if I tried again, but at the time (five years ago) I couldn't unload it fast enough. No, I didn't 100% the game, but I had zero interest in even trying. At the time I felt people had just been blinded by the graphics and music and weren't seeing the game for what it really was.

I made it all the way through SOTN in one sitting. I felt totally disappointed. The game was insanely easy. I may think differently of it now if I tried again, but at the time (five years ago) I couldn't unload it fast enough. No, I didn't 100% the game, but I had zero interest in even trying. At the time I felt people had just been blinded by the graphics and music and weren't seeing the game for what it really was.
Did you really beat it?

It's definitely an easy game. But, it's also definitely fucking awesome.

Decently long game to finish in a single sitting, especially your first time through unless you used a guide
(or didn't finish the second castle).

Zing

Banned
I dug up my comments from back then.

"I literally got to play it 3 times, then it was over. I have never read any FAQs or even a single hint about this game. I didn't even know what the gameplay was like. I beat the game without even trying."

Like I said, I didn't 100% the game. I saw the credits. The game was over. I hardly used any items. I died a single time and it was likely by accident.

Not trying to start a war over someone's beloved game. Just sharing my experience. It was actually nine years ago. Like I mentioned, I may actually love the game if I tried it now. For what it's worth, I did originally write that I had fun. It was just ultra short, and I didn't even use any familiars, so that was disappointing. Also, money seemed to be pointless. It just felt like a game that could have been awesome with all this detail and features, but never bothered to give a reason to use any of it.

tbh the second castle is a chore and poorly designed

i don't see how it would change anyone's mind

Not saying it'd change anyones mind, just saying I find it hard to believe that someone playing it for the first time finished both castles in a single sitting. Maybe he did, I've certainly had my insane gaming moments when I was younger. But, it's pretty hard to imagine and doesn't sound very fun even to someone who loves the game.

Like I said, I didn't 100% the game. I saw the credits. The game was over.

So, did you fight Dracula? You're really making it sound like you didn't here. Not that you should if you didn't like what you'd played already. Just curious.

Yo ppl talking smack about SOTN in here? Nah ah, wont stand for that.

Also SOTN is pretty easy compared to Classicvania's let alone arguably Aria (debatable though)

So, did you fight Dracula? You're really making it sound like you didn't here. Not that you should if you didn't like what you'd played already. Just curious.

How could he not? He is the only thing you can even fight in the game after going up one stairway and down one hallway. A bunch of text them starts about the castle or some nonsense that I assume is the end so I turn it off. Shortest and most overrated game ever.

How could he not? He is the only thing you can even fight in the game after going up one stairway and down one hallway. A bunch of text them starts about the castle or some nonsense that I assume is the end so I turn it off. Shortest and most overrated game ever.

Length =/= Quality

Retread of Rondo even down to reused assets.

Kappa

Top Bottom