• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 becomes the first console to be selected as “Future Technology Heritage” in Japan

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
20240904-36484.jpg

Via Automaton West

Japan’s National Museum of Nature and Science announced on September 3 that a total of 18 items, including Sony’s PlayStation 2, have been added to the “Future Technology Heritage” registry (as reported by GameSpark). This is a list of scientific and technological achievements deemed to have had an important influence on life and culture and should be passed on to future generations.

The following reasons were given for the PS2’s inclusion:

The world’s first home video game console with DVD playback capability.

It had the most advanced basic specifications of game consoles at the time, and its beautiful graphics made it possible to create realistic expressions that added value to games.

It was released at a lower price than the typical DVD players of the time, contributing to the popularization of DVDs.

Its importance as a product that actualized the practical use of multimedia.

Furthermore, the PS2 fulfilled the selection criteria, such as “demonstrating important stages of the development of science and technology” and “playing an outstanding role in the betterment of people’s lives and the creation of new lifestyles.”

I wonder if ps3 will make it there eventually didn't sell much compared to ps2 but had outstanding games and was the cheapest and probably one of the best blu-ray players at that time

//DEVIL//

Well deserved. Ken was the master of all . Not like the creep who put an nvme on board with pc parts and call it innovation .

Fucking dude look like he is going to touch you from behind with his creepy smile

I wonder if ps3 will make it there eventually didn't sell much compared to ps2 but had outstanding games and was the cheapest and probably one of the best blu-ray players at that time

Still the 5th best selling home console of all time beating everything by Microsoft, Sega or Atari.

Calverz

Still the 5th best selling home console of all time beating everything by Microsoft, Sega or Atari.
True but the 360 was a bigger success imo. Look at the size of the ps2 install base the gen before. Microsoft gained massive market share and importantly mind share. Of course they fucked in with Xbox one though lol

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
if only they could have continued with custom graphics hardware. I know those dirty PC people ( pc people rarely showered back then ) wanted their precious "standardization" but now we have nothing as cool as the ps1/ps2 hardware back then. stupid dirty pc people.:messenger_pouting:

Last edited:

ManaByte

Hyper was literally everywhere and in paces you didn’t expect.

I remember the Daily Mail weekend magazine having a several page spread on it.

The Ministry of Sound Annual 2000 even covered it
NYC9rBr.jpeg

Well back then Sony was really courting mainstream media with the thing. So much so that gaming websites like IGN and Gamespot were not sent PS2s to review the launch titles at launch, because Sony instead sent review machines to Time Magazine, Rolling Stone, USA Today, etc who didn't review jack shit and I'm pretty sure the people who got one at those outlets either sold it or handed it off to a family member as a gift. So it required the gaming websites to camp out 18 hours in the rain to try to buy a PS2 on launch day just to be able to post reviews.

True but the 360 was a bigger success imo. Look at the size of the ps2 install base the gen before. Microsoft gained massive market share and importantly mind share. Of course they fucked in with Xbox one though lol

360 sold close to PS3, but considering RROD how many people actually owned one?

Worth remembering the Wii phenomenon affected sales too.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Well deserved. Ken was the master of all . Not like the creep who put an nvme on board with pc parts and call it innovation .

Fucking dude look like he is going to touch you from behind with his creepy smile
That creep has outsmarted MS best engineers TWO GENERATIONS in a row with a fraction of the budget 🤣

Lambogenie

I would seriously trade any PS5 Pro release for a new PS2 Slim that has all Slim features + digital store with SD card integration. As an official product. A PS2.2 or PS2d or Super PS2.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Home to many great games. A real classic.

Can also produce beautiful visuals, too. Check Hitman: Blood Money (Yes, the PS2 port is the lowest common denominator for that game), it looks absolutely amazing. It was released in March 2006 and was for the OG Xbox a next-gen now experience,despite it releasing on X360 at the same time.

//DEVIL//

That creep has outsmarted MS best engineers TWO GENERATIONS in a row with a fraction of the budget 🤣
I don’t see the Xbox series X inferior to ps5 . But that’s not the point . This is between Ken mark .

Ken’s ps3 is super processor computer . Ps2 emotion engine can shoot rockets and missiles.

Wtf a ps4 and 5 can do ? Weak ass sauce machines.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
If only they cared enough to give us real backwards compatibility with the greatest console ever.
That’s why PLAYSTATION 3 will forever be the best, it offers three generations of libraries containing some of the best games ever. It wins by default.

makaveli60

It’s crazy that it was a cheap dvd player as well. I guess it was worth it because they got back the money on games and anyone who wanted a dvd player would have been crazy to miss this deal, even if it being a games console was just an extra for that person.

Soltype

It’s crazy that it was a cheap dvd player as well. I guess it was worth it because they got back the money on games and anyone who wanted a dvd player would have been crazy to miss this deal, even if it being a games console was just an extra for that person.
That's what sold the system, it was a cheap DVD player and it played games. The best selling software in at launch was the matrix on DVD, it was simply genius. The system would not have sold nearly as much if it did not play DVDs.

Top Bottom