• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Stereoscopic 3D |OT| - The 50's called they want their silly glasses back

Fox1304

I have a VT20 42".
But with those settings I still see a LOT of crosstalk, and it's ... tiring, not as smooth as wipeout or SSHD. I have to focus hard, and that's not natural.
See what I mean ?

quetz67

Banned
Kulock said:
Couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but there's a special section on the PSN store just for 3D-enabled demos. I do remember Wipeout, MLB, Motorstorm, Swords and Soldiers (pretty weak), I think some PSN puzzle title I'm forgetting, and probably a few more past that.
hmmmm...only in the US store, which is much better organized than EU. But it was only 5 demos and I checked those already.

filopilo

Fox1304 said:
I have a VT20 42".
But with those settings I still see a LOT of crosstalk, and it's ... tiring, not as smooth as wipeout or SSHD. I have to focus hard, and that's not natural.
See what I mean ?

Yes.
Some tracks are more friendly than others contrast wise.You might have to try reducing contrast on the tv.
On the other way , your difficulties for focusing (it's convergence difficulties in fact ) tells me you aren't ready for wide paralaxes yet ( it's only a matter of practicing ,you''l be able to handle more and more ,up to your own interaxial parallelism that is , the space between your eyes, about 6,3 cm )

So the best is to reduce paralaxe from there until it's no more tiring.
The only way to reduce crosstalk from there is reducing contrast and/or parallax.

cakefoo

Fox1304 said:
I have a VT20 42".
See what I mean ?
Try roof cam. I even prefer it over cockpit,. To me, it communicates the physics much more naturally. Something about GT5's cockpit physics feels synthetic.

imperium

Playing Dead Space 2 last night, I couldnt help but wonder how the game would be in 3D. With its float in the air HUD and tight quarter combat I think 3D would really enhance the experience. I even think it could be a potential 3D killer app.

Also there's a 3D trailer on the US PSN store for Motorstorm Apcolypse. Looks like the 3D will be very good.

quetz67

Banned
imperium said:
Playing Dead Space 2 last night, I couldnt help but wonder how the game would be in 3D. With its float in the air HUD and tight quarter combat I think 3D would really enhance the experience. I even think it could be a potential 3D killer app.

Also there's a 3D trailer on the US PSN store for Motorstorm Apcolypse. Looks like the 3D will be very good.
I think about shuffling my play shedule. I really hope for Dead Space to get a 3D treatment and will for now start replaying Enslaved and try Avatar in 3D.

Apocalypse will be beyond awesome.

Fox1304

filopilo said:
On the other way , your difficulties for focusing (it's convergence difficulties in fact ) tells me you aren't ready for wide paralaxes yet ( it's only a matter of practicing ,you''l be able to handle more and more ,up to your own interaxial parallelism that is , the space between your eyes, about 6,3 cm )
Yeah I'll ... "practice" much more for the next days !!

cakefoo said:
Try roof cam. I even prefer it over cockpit,. To me, it communicates the physics much more naturally. Something about GT5's cockpit physics feels synthetic.

I prefer roof cam for the 3D, but I love cockpit view so much, it's so immersive ... I'd really like to make it work in 3D !

Jtrizzy

Yeah the Apocalypse video looks like a huge improvement over 3D Rift. I don't see the blurry, low res look in the background at all...IQ is way better.

Barrett2

My impressions playing 3D games on my 46' Panasonic Viera plasma.

- Wipeout HD is absolutely fantastic. Incredible 3D effects. Only drawback is I have to sit far away from TV to reduce crosstalk, whereas i am normally like a sugar-addled toddler when playing games, i like sitting right in front of the screen.

- Super Stardust is solid, cool particle effects, and not overwhelming or over-done.

- Sly Collection has very subtle 3D effects, which IMO work well, since platformers are the type of game I need to be able to comfortably play for a few hours and not have eye fatigue. Turn the effect all the way up, though, or you will barely notice it.

Overall I am quite happy with the experience. It adds a definite *wow* factor to each game, and i will definitely pick up some games this year i otherwise wouldn't, because the 3D is just enough to push me over the edge. Namely; Motorstorm, Crysis, etc. It also has me drooling at the prospect of playing games i was already excited about, like KZ3, Uncharted 3, MLB11...

Whether 3D is here to stay, who knows. I think glassless 3D will be a big help, since it will remove the comfort / hassle barriers that currently exist. But at least from my experience, I am quite satisfied with current 3D gaming, and see no reason why I would stop enjoying at least some games and movies in 3D going forward.

Jtrizzy said:
Yeah the Apocalypse video looks like a huge improvement over 3D Rift. I don't see the blurry, low res look in the background at all...IQ is way better.

Just downloaded it and you're right, it is a vast improvement and earlier reports of it being the standard bearer is not exaggeration.

Linconan

cakefoo said:

Meh...
Thats just Anaglyph 3D (cardboard cutouts)
Not the new 3D style that companies are pushing.
Someones probably just put the pics through a filter.

But Uncharted 2 in 'Converted 3D' is really cool (3D through the Tvs capabilities).
Cant wait till Uncharted 3 comes out with 'Native 3D'.
oh...my...
*faints*

1-D_FTW

http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-27-acer-hn274h-3d-vision-ready-lcd-monitor/

Acer has started sending out units of their new 27 inch model.

1 dual link DVI and 3 HDMI inputs.

Has the Nvision receiver built in and includes a set of Nvidia glasses. On PC, using D-DVI, 1080P @ 120 fps is possible. The cool thing is, you can hook anything up to the HDMI and still use the included Nvidia glasses for the 3D. Obviously, because it's HDMI, you're limited to 1080P @48hz or 720P @ 120hz.

Expected price is probably around 600. Seems a little steep since the Panasonic 42 inch GT was significantly cheaper than that at amazon at one point. Have to think by mid summer the 2011 Panasonic ST plasmas won't be much more. I don't mind the high prices of these monitors at launch, but they never drop in price. And they're not really worth the price.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm convinced something must be either wrong with our TV or the way I'm setting it up. People are raving about the 3d on PS3 but I tried it on a new Sony Bravia 46" LCD and the flickering was eye-destroying. I tried Bolt Blu Ray and some games, and as soon as the glasses turn on there is a noticeable strobing/flickering (especially on bright light sources as well as stuff off-screen) and it was causing headaches after only a few minutes. I'm fine with 3d in the cinema, which doesn't seem to have any of those strobing problems. The glasses etc are brand new.

Am i doing it wrong? Or is this just a thing with Sony TV's? Seems strange they are pushing it so hard if that's the quality. I tried turning the "MotionFlow" feature on and off, with no effect.

Linconan

julls said:
I'm convinced something must be either wrong with our TV or the way I'm setting it up. People are raving about the 3d on PS3 but I tried it on a new Sony Bravia 46" LCD and the flickering was eye-destroying. I tried Bolt Blu Ray and some games, and as soon as the glasses turn on there is a noticeable strobing/flickering (especially on bright light sources as well as stuff off-screen) and it was causing headaches after only a few minutes. I'm fine with 3d in the cinema, which doesn't seem to have any of those strobing problems. The glasses etc are brand new.

Am i doing it wrong? Or is this just a thing with Sony TV's? Seems strange they are pushing it so hard if that's the quality. I tried turning the "MotionFlow" feature on and off, with no effect.

Hey dude,
Is it like a bloom flicker?
You said on bright sources. So it's probably your room lighting and to much brightness in the room.
When i tried my Tv at the shop, i had bloom flicking because it was way to bright but once at my place and had dark shades/curtains, alls well ;)
It might also be your lighting, any fluros around?

All i can suggest is turn your room into the Batcave.

cakefoo

Linconan said:
Meh...
Thats just Anaglyph 3D (cardboard cutouts)
Not the new 3D style that companies are pushing.
Someones probably just put the pics through a filter.
The Youtube player is filtering it to anaglyph by default. You can opt for side-by-side, checkerboard, etc.

There's nothing questionable at all about the stereoscopic authenticity of anaglyph 3D. It actually is delivering two separate images, one through each lens to each eye. It isn't full color, but it is true stereo.

On Youtube you do need to watch out for fake 3D all over, but I can assure you all the Uncharted 2 slideshow videos are true 3D- because I took them, and used the cha-cha method, like veteran stereographers do when they only have one camera.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Linconan said:
Hey dude,
Is it like a bloom flicker?
You said on bright sources. So it's probably your room lighting and to much brightness in the room.
When i tried my Tv at the shop, i had bloom flicking because it was way to bright but once at my place and had dark shades/curtains, alls well ;)
It might also be your lighting, any fluros around?

All i can suggest is turn your room into the Batcave.
Thanks - yeah I'll try that. Problem is, it happens on on-screen bright areas too. Just seems like the flickering isn't normal and that it should be faster or something.

Will report ;)

quetz67

Banned
lawblob said:
Anyone ever play the Avatar game? Worth getting if i can find it cheap?
I ordered it a week ago for 15€. Didnt arrive yet :( will post my impressisons of course.

btw. is Batman Asylum real 3D on PS3 or only Trioviz?

Piggus

Wow, MS: Apocalypse looks fantastic in 3D judging from the PSN video. I'll definitely be picking that up.

Barrett2

Random question, how do I rent 3D BluRays? We finally got our second pair of 3D glasses today, and we would like to rent a few 3D BluRays, but it looks like Bolt is the only 3D rental on PSN right now.

How do you dudes get 3D movies? Do I just have to buy them?

http://www.gamingtrend.com/Articles/articles.php?artID=622

When it comes to gaming technology, 3-D is a big deal for Sonyand an even bigger deal for the SOCOM 4 development team. I only got to try it for about twenty minutes, but it seems to work just fine. Even better, it works even over my regular glasses and without some of the crazy problems that plague 3-D glasses in theaters. Although 3-D is supported by other PS3 titles, the SOCOM 4 developers were especially proud of their efforts to squeeze extra performance out of the system, allowing for high-resolution, full-framerate gameplay. From what I could tell, they’ve succeeded so far. Comparing the 2-D and 3-D options, I didn’t notice any decrease in performance with the 3-D turned on. Some of the effects were a bit over-the-top, although the depth is adjustable in-game so that players can find a setting they like. I do want to point out one particular 3-D enhancement that I really liked was the use of 3-D directional markers. SOCOM uses a 3rd person perspective, and with the standard 2-D interface, the markers were in the lower part of the screen to indicate that they were pointing at something behind the player. With the 3-D mode enabled, the markers were literally behind the player. This seems like a really subtle thing, but it’s an example of how the 3-D capability is used to enhance the interface instead of just making things look pretty.
3-D is only one of the technologies that Sony is promoting with SOCOM 4. As a big-name title, Sony is keen to get more exposure for its Move motion-control system by supporting it with SOCOM 4. Move integration was definitely improved from the build I saw last year. Certainly I had a much easier time aiming with the Move controller than with the standard one. Talking with the Zipper testers, they told me that some people prefer the Move while others prefer the standard controller. It helped that the lag issues were greatly reduced from the build I saw last year, although there was still a noticeable delay. Fortunately, this didn’t seem to impact the gameplay much, and was still easier for me to fine tune my aim with the Move than with the standard controller. It seems like neither control system is quite perfect, and they both have advantages (and disadvantages) for hardcore players.

feel

Motorstorm apocalypse 3D video is stunning, I kept pausing the video to actually appreciate it though, the quick cuts weren't letting me do so.

Will be trying Killzone3 in 3D in a bit

edit- the visual quality takes a major hit and there's crosstalk here and there, meh

quetz67

Banned
So I got Avatar...set 3D to side by side and boldly set the depth to maximum.

Wow, really impressive depth, corridors and landscape (beautiful) reach into the TV for "miles".

Wow, mega ghosting, something I havent really noticed in other games at all (Plasma). It is really bad in the buildings, but better outdoors - still noticable (I really wonder if this is because of the games colors, the extreme setting I used or because this isnt natively using the PS3 3D).

And often objects/persons are in front of you fucking up the whole view. So after less than an hour I got really sick.

This is really immersive but only for the 3D hardcore crowd, or for the sissies who use an average depth setting.

Barrett2

quetz67 said:
So I got Avatar...set 3D to side by side and boldly set the depth to maximum.

Wow, really impressive depth, corridors and landscape (beautiful) reach into the TV for "miles".

Wow, mega ghosting, something I havent really noticed in other games at all (Plasma). It is really bad in the buildings, but better outdoors - still noticable (I really wonder if this is because of the games colors, the extreme setting I used or because this isnt natively using the PS3 3D).

And often objects/persons are in front of you fucking up the whole view. So after less than an hour I got really sick.

This is really immersive but only for the 3D hardcore crowd, or for the sissies who use an average depth setting.
Is the game fun? Worth checking out?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I thinking about ordering another set of 3D glasses, something third party. The ones my Samsung came with are a bit dark, and worse still kinda off yellow. They also frequently lose synch during movies. I’m hoping theres some decent third party glasses out there.

Letters said:
Motorstorm apocalypse 3D video is stunning, I kept pausing the video to actually appreciate it though, the quick cuts weren't letting me do so.

Will be trying Killzone3 in 3D in a bit

edit- the visual quality takes a major hit and there's crosstalk here and there, meh

Completely different experience playing in 3D this game is pretty damn good and their isn't a big drop off in resolution and on my bravia nx810 it looks very good with the depth set at 100. Also playing with the move is a thing of beauty.

Smokey

Almost took advantage of the deal at Best Buy tonight. $1799 gets you a 50'' 3D VT20 with a Panasonic Blu ray player and 5.1 surround sound (probably shit).

killzone 3 on my Samsung UN55C8000 is pretty impressive! No crosstalk and no ghosting and I have it set to 100%. I didn't think I would really be into the whole 3D gaming thing but I am quickly changing my mind.

Jtrizzy

Guys, Killzone 3 is fucking awesome in 3d and with move support. Major props to Sony, again this is not like what you saw in BLOPS or 3d Motorstorm rift. None of that crappy low res background etc. There is an offline compnent to the beta for those of you who don't care for mp fps or the Killzone universe and just want to check out the 3d. Can't wait to play the campaign with the sharpshooter peripheral and on my VT25.

Again, major props to Sony for pulling this off. I was pretty doubtful that they could do this in AAA titles without huge sacrifices in resolution or frame rate after trying Pacific Rift and BLOPS.

My only problem is that I only got to play it for about 30 minutes, and I'm out of town till Monday!

thuway

Smokey said:
Almost took advantage of the deal at Best Buy tonight. $1799 gets you a 50'' 3D VT20 with a Panasonic Blu ray player and 5.1 surround sound (probably shit).
Ugh, if this deal was only 800 dollars cheaper :-/

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
After my love for the KZ3 MP mode, I really want to experience this in 3D... That Optoma 3D converter for my 3D-ready projector can't come soon enough. It was supposed to be out in December or January and now it's February :(.

twdnewh_k

Got a 50' plasma about a week back. Very very impressed with the 3d effect, cant wait to try it on the kz3 demo soon.

Also picked up the motorstorm 3d game on sale for $5. Highly recommended.

Bradach said:
is there room on this bandwagon for me?? i'll be getting a 3DTV in the summer!! can't wait :)
No.

Because you're making the poor kid mad.

Unless I can come over, eat your food, play your games, watch your TV, and sleep with your girlfriend/boyfriend.

Gravijah

Thunder Monkey said:
No.

Unless I can come over, eat your food, play your games, watch your TV, and sleep with your girlfriend/boyfriend.

Hahaha, poor kid!

...Yet here I am, rocking my SDTV still. :'(

Bradach

Thunder Monkey said:
No.

lol
ok, you can come over and sleep with my wife etc, but there's no way you're eating my food

Top Bottom