• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Stereoscopic 3D |OT| - The 50's called they want their silly glasses back

TTP said:

No I wish samsung isnt that nice I got

2 pairs of these

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SSG-3100GB/ZA

and 2 pairs of these

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/SSG-3300GR/ZA

the rechargable ones are way more comfortable

samsung also sent me a bad ass qwerty keyboard/remote which works wonders in there smarthub which has a bunch of apps

Lesson Learned

3D shuttered glasses battery strength needs to be at least 70 to 90 percent. I had the original battery operated glasses and they are very good when the battery is strong and you're happy. But as the battery start to decrease and you're manipulating the TV settings to get that original awe feeling, you get more cross talk and ghosting you're like WTF is going on. The battery eventually dies and you go pick up another and you're back to ground zero of changing your settings to get that 3D depth you're looking for.

Now I have the rechargeable 3D glasses sony put out(a couple of months back). Now the 3D world is all good on the financial front.

Revisited NBA 2k 11 with my new 2nd generation Sony re-chargeable 3d glasses. I set the depth to 80 and intensity to 85 and it is eye popping. Judging distance is a lot easier and the overall games looks pretty damn good. I don't know why 2k didn't default to the max 3d, anyways, I take back my blah rating of NBA 2k 11 3D, it's pretty stellar and adds to gameplay in the right setting.

longdi

Banned
I was impressed with LG passive 3D. very bright and smooth, glasses were nearly weightless. Sony outdo by the koreans again...

Smokey said:
Any impressions of Socom 4 in 3D?

Also what 3DTV are you guys using?

The most impressive 3D game I've played so far. It looks and plays pretty awesome.

I've got a Vizio E3D470VX. Passive set.

Bump!

Bought a LG 47LW450 set (passive 3D). It works fine for 2D and the input lag isn't bad. At least I can play SF3 and do parries without any problems.

However, I can't make sense of the 3D settings. When I start 3D, I get five choices of 3D. 2D->3D, vertical split, horizontal split, chequered board and one final (displaced?). However, the PS3 doesn't seem to recognize the 3D. Super Stardust has no settings for it that I can see. Dynasty Warriors 7 has a setting but when I enter it, it just says no 3D detected and reverts to off.

Is it a problem with the HDMI cables? I have three fairly old ones, so they're probably not high speed. One set clearly says 1.3 if that helps.

Using 2D->3D works a bit though, so I can see the effect. Surprisingly well for 2D fighters...

Ocaso

You probably have to enable the 3D option in the PS3's display settings. Try going to the menu and re-adjusting the settings automatically. The PS3 should detect that you now have a 3DTV and ask you to enable it. Chances are it's not the cable.

Once that is done, 3D games will work one of 2 ways: either they'll ask you to enable 3D when you start them up or you'll have to do so from one of the game menus. Wipeout HD does the former, but Mortal Kombat, for example, requires that you enable the feature in the options menu. You shouldn't have to fiddle with your TV's 3D options (the side-by-side, vertical split, etc. settings) for modern stereo 3D games.

Shiggy

You know which game would be amazing in 3D?
ninokuni62410.jpg

Haint

SiegfriedFM said:
Bump!

Bought a LG 47LW450 set (passive 3D). It works fine for 2D and the input lag isn't bad. At least I can play SF3 and do parries without any problems.

However, I can't make sense of the 3D settings. When I start 3D, I get five choices of 3D. 2D->3D, vertical split, horizontal split, chequered board and one final (displaced?). However, the PS3 doesn't seem to recognize the 3D. Super Stardust has no settings for it that I can see. Dynasty Warriors 7 has a setting but when I enter it, it just says no 3D detected and reverts to off.

Is it a problem with the HDMI cables? I have three fairly old ones, so they're probably not high speed. One set clearly says 1.3 if that helps.

Using 2D->3D works a bit though, so I can see the effect. Surprisingly well for 2D fighters...

Go to your PS3's display options and let it automatically set your HDMI settings. It should determine your TV is 3D and ask you what size it is. This should now allow some games to auto prompt "Do you want to play in 3D" on start up. I think SSD:HD does this. Other games have a manual toggle in their menu. The format options you're seeing in your TV menu is the real time fake 2D>3D conversion (which is generally pretty shitty), top and bottom, side by side (this is what Xbox 360 3D uses, til the FW update), checkerboard, and I'm assuming the last one is frame packed/sequential (which is what Blurays and PS3 games use).

Ah, that simple. I set it to 1080p manually once I got the set running, so I never thought to try automatic.

Starting up Super Stardust... whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooah...

Ocaso

Super Stardust is definitely one of the more impressive stereo 3D games. You want another "Woah!" moment? Download the Mostorstorm 3D Rift demo and prepare to be blown away.

I think that R3 is the best 3D so far, and I have bought almost every 3D game now that I have a 3DTV. I am not sure if the demo is 3D or not though.

longdi said:
I was impressed with LG passive 3D. very bright and smooth, glasses were nearly weightless. Sony outdo by the koreans again...
Try out Panasonic's latest (3rd gen) active glasses. I bet they weigh nearly the same, and they have insane battery life. Panasonic is killing it with their 3D tvs, and they're perfect for gaming because of their low input lag.

Recently completed Resistance 3 in 3d (optoma 67n projector). The resolution drop took a while to come to terms with, but in the end I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did - absolutely incredible experience. The game has so many different environments and setpieces that show off a different aspect of the 3d (cramped tunnels, huge vistas, flashlight sections, long grass, forrests, rain, snow!

Having only tried motorstorm apocalypse, gt5 and super stardust in 3d I was experiencing buyer's remorse. But after R3 and now God of War Origins (also seriously impressive), I'm fully conveted and see a great future for this tech.

Top Bottom