• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

satori

Update on my brother's PS4. After failing the update via internet. I was able to get the system in safe mode and just manually update it via USB stick.

Maybe it is a good idea to do it via usb regardless....

Edit: ^^ style fox it sounds like you are having the same issue we were having bro. Did it happen after you tried to update to 1.5? and was it via the internet?

So how is the launch actually going? Is PSN down? More people reported about defective units? Everyone happy? I'm missing the impressions threads.
PSN is up, MP working beautifully. Graphics on pretty much every launch game are significantly better than previous gen games (I've got BF4, COD, AC4, Killzone, NFS). Native 1080p is bliss. The PS4 UI is amazing and so damn fast, multitasking is also great. You can access the console settings while playing your games and it's all so seamless.

ekim

PSN is up, MP working beautifully. Graphics are pretty much every launch game are significantly better than previous gen games. Native 1080p is bliss. The PS4 UI is amazing and so damn fast, multitasking is also great. You can access the console settings while playing your games and it's all so seamless.

Sounds good. :)
Happy that the launch seems to be mostly going smooth.

diggler41

Finally! I'm able to post a quick update here.

Launch at Best Buy went without a hitch. They had plenty of units in stock for people with out pre orders.

Got home and quickly came to the realization I was already fearing. The HDMI cable was not going to be long enough to easily set up the PS4 vertical on my entertainment center. I knew what had to be done and it wasn't going to be fun. I had to take apart like half of my entertainment setup in order to fit the HDMI cable through a space closer to where it needed to be. After about an hour, and testing everything to make sure nothing had been messed up, everything was in place, all that was left was the PS4 itself. I plugged it and I was pretty nervous after seeing the stories of faulty HDMI, after all that work it would've killed me to get no signal. Hit the button, and was welcomed by the soft blue glow and soothing music. Success! Here's a few pictures of the setup, the PS4 is definitely a looker.

This is not how I expected that go. Lol

Edit: Oh and I am glad you are enjoying it. Can't wait for mine.

Just played Killzone, very impressed especially with the multiplayer so much fun. As for the console, UI is nice and works great, multitasking was easy to accomplish. Had my PS4 on for about 4 hours and just put it in standby to download Resogun and Contrast. Overall I love the system.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So far I'm really digging the games, but I'm really tired. Glad to see I got some sort of crowd, thanks if you were watching!

My only main gripe here is the main menu UI is kind of finnicky, it likes to go to the default "What's new" everytime the system tells me the servers are on maintenance (EVEN IF YOU ARE IN THE SETTINGS MENU), and it just happens very randomly, frustrating. I will give it the benefit of the doubt since it is launch night.

JP

Came on here and just realised that people in the US have got them today!!! AAargghhh, too much info to take in. o_O

Sounds good. :)
Happy that the launch seems to be mostly going smooth.
Oh, and Vita game streaming works flawlessly. This has been such an incredible launch in comparison to previous generations. I have so many games to play and they all look incredile. Especially Battlefield 4.

Suirrad

Been playing a few hours and everything is all good. Downloaded the update super quick. Raided the store of freebies. Then fired up Killzone. Now I'm about to try Resogun.

bLaiSe

Someone who also has a PS3 please answer this:
If you sign in with both PS3 and PS4 will the PSN kick you out from one of them?
I asked Shu on twitter too but he couldn't give me a 100% sure answer.

Yoday

These download speeds are blowing my mind. I was expecting an improvement over the PS3, but not this. I am pretty sure that the PS4 is maxing out my ~60Mb/s connection. I also really love how it downloads and installs multiple things at once just like Steam. At the rate things are going all of my digital games should be done downloading within a four or five hours, and I am downloading ACIV, BF4, Killzone, Knack, NFS, Warframe, Contrast, Resogun, DCUO, Flower, and Blacklight.

I had a feeling the network would be a little iffy for an hour or so right at launch, and I was right about that, but I was also right in thinking that the servers weren't going to be nearly as bogged down as everyone thought.

Also, thank god they added in the Library. It keeps all of your digital games in there whether they are downloaded and installed or not. The only gripe is that they need to add some sorting options. As it stands it is listing things in the order they were first downloaded, but I haven't played anything yet, so it may order things based on last played. Either way, they need some sorting options like alphabetical.

molnizzle

So nobody having bricked ps4 yet?

It seems like Sony's 0.04% estimate might be accurate. It's been smooth sailing for me and all of my friends.

These download speeds are blowing my mind. I was expecting an improvement over the PS3, but not this. I am pretty sure that the PS4 is maxing out my ~60Mb/s connection.

I was getting over 6 MB/s earlier today. Mind-blowingly delicious improvement over PSN on PS3.

ckohler

He only problems I had tonight were the initial logging in to PSN and trying to do any account management stuff. But once I did get logged in, everything has bee smooth. Downloads from PSN are really fast. Like, surprisingly crazy fast.

Also, I did try remote play with Shadow Fall but it wasn't really working. Walking into the other room caused it to fail (video degrades until it gives up). Even sitting on my couch, the video was poor and unusable while surprisingly the controls remained perfect. So, I'm not ready to count Remote play out yet since this may be a connection issue but my first attempt was a real let down. :(

Still, that and a little logging in issue was the only issues and certainly welcome ones verses dome kind of possible hardware failure. I had no hardware problems at all. I've Played a Shadow Fall, Resogun, the playroom and Netflix. I'm downloading Warframe now. Netflix btw, us amazing. It's so crazy fast to start up and switch between shows/movies.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be up a little longer even though I'm getting sleepy.

Shrewder

Neo Member
Ah, I was wondering how the SSHDD's performed in PS4! That's definitely what I'll be upgrading with eventually. I just wish they came in 1.5 or 2 TB models. You're rocking the Seagate Momentus XT, right?

Mine is not labeled as such.

Here is a photo of my Hybrid SSHD. I couldn't tell you how well it is performing- speed wise. I would think it needs time to adapt to usage. I just mainly wanted more storage than stock and I thought I would try an Hybrid.

Cheers!
h8IbMp5.jpg

Bishop89

Someone who also has a PS3 please answer this:
If you sign in with both PS3 and PS4 will the PSN kick you out from one of them?
I asked Shu on twitter too but he couldn't give me a 100% sure answer.
well it doesnt with the vita, so dont know y it would do it with the ps4

So I've been playing online for about 2 hours now and I'm impressed. Background downloading is amazing, party chat is super easy, been streaming all night, and the games so far look good. Only negative is NBA2K14 was a little underwhelming.

I have a new crush

OlympicTechno

Neo Member
So I've been playing online for about 2 hours now and I'm impressed. Background downloading is amazing, party chat is super easy, been streaming all night, and the games so far look good. Only negative is NBA2K14 was a little underwhelming.

I have a new crush

What's the voice quality like? And the mic itself?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Watching all the unboxings on the Tube... frustrating me :(

So can anyone confirm if installs are taking 5 plus hours for anyone else? Need for Speed is only at 50 something percent installed. Is this a slow OS thing or what? Even a 5400RPM drive shouldn't take more then an hour to install this stuff

Shrewder

Neo Member
Setups always get messy. I'll re-arrange and clean-up, my computer room, after d/loading more goodness.
xQ5sqDr.jpg

Banderas be praised!

B.O.O.M

What customization of the UI can be done exactly? Change colours? Layout? Definitely no background pictures or preloaded themes?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

I would like to know this as well..anyone try to mess around with it?

Vire

PS4 is much louder than I was hoping. Playing Resogun and the fans are blasting.

Loving everything else.

Gaz_RB

Amazing experience so far. Well worth the $400, I had no issues getting everything ready and I've been playing BF4 for an hour.

Back to PS4, have fun homies!

Silly question perhaps, but has anyone given Lego Marvel a shot yet? How is it? 1080p 60fps? I'll be playing a lot of that game this weekend probably, and I've seen very few indications about what they were changing for the PS4 version.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just dying to play that Killzone, huh?
Fuck that. I'm not hyped for the games, I just want the console, hold the controller and browse the new stuff!

Qwell

Well I don't have any disc based games, and I think I may have made my PS4 a little mad by downloading pretty much every possible thing I could do. Currently installed:
Resogun (first game, really quick download and install)
Flower
Contrast

Still Downloading / Waiting to Install:
Blacklight
Knack
Killzone
Warframe
Sound Shapes

It does appear to kind of share the wealth and try to download everything at once, and for Flower and Contrast it actually installed in the background while I was doing other stuff. Killzone and Knack it said it was "ready to install" even though it hadn't finished downloading, but when I try to go to it I get a "installing application" with spinning circle that doesn't end. It could be it needs to download more of those files.

Had a few instances where it kind of went back to other screens as I was navigating around, I think perhaps I was trying to switch between apps / screens too quick after having it try to install knack and killzone before they had downloaded or something.

Hoping to try a little killzone tonight, but may just let it do its thing overnight while I try some other stuff.

And in the time I was typing that Blacklight and Sound Shapes finished, time to start up Blacklight.

Top Bottom