• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

satori

Ok now it is orange lol, i unplug the power now it went to orange. PS4 stop playing with our hearts. I hope mine dont give me this much trouble when it comes from amazon tomorrow.

ar30.jpg

Man the PS4 is cooking in my cabinet. No issues so far but I may end up moving it to the bigger shelve. Was saying that for Xbox one but gosh i dont wanna cook my ps4

Shadownet

Banned
Everyone touch the top of your PS4 and post the temperature?

Mine feel pretty warm despite only been on for 20 Mins.. The ps3 slim was never this warm even after a couple of hours.

God I hope this won't become an overheating problem...

Iorv3th

can someone help me ive got my ps4 but it keeps going to the fist game in the list as if i keep pushing the guide button.. whats going on? go to game im kicked out go to store im kicked out... sift through the menus and im taken right back to ware you go when you hit the ps button...

is my controller broken? the hell?

Same problem here, it's really annoying, trying to go to settings, kicks me back to the 'dashboard'. Start a game up, kicks me back to the dashboard. Once i'm actually in a game it doesn't do it, but while its loading it does it or when going to settings etc it does it. Pretty annoying, I hope they fix it soon.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I am in love with the console. So sleek, amazing looking, wobble is a nonfactor. Games are fairly weak as far as multiplayer titles go. My friend was playing knack and we were really enjoying what we saw. Lego Marvel appears super sharp, NBA 2k is jawdropping. KZ is the prettiest I've seen so far, but I just have not had a good go with it at all :(. The camera works solid... the voice commands are pretty useless, but playroom is hilarious. Love the little headset, good sound and mic quality.

The bad news is my ps4 came with a DS4 that was DOA :(. Little bit of an overstatement, but the left button on the dpad is very unresponsive. Thought games were lagging or something, but realized it's just the D pad missing me hitting the button.

Ok after it went orange I held the power down for 7 second and it beep twice. And that got us in safe mode. I am dl the update on my pc now, Will try to just update that way. Will report back what happened

So all of this started because it got stuck downloading the 1.5 update?

Toki767

For those of you who are having trouble, are you installing from the automatic update or did you go into settings and manually search for an update?

Shadownet

Banned
I never own PS+ before. So I got a quick question. I know PS+ free games stop being free after a while.

If for example I don't want to play Resogun right now, but I don't want to miss out on the freebie. Can I download it and then delete it, then I can come back to it like a year from now and redownload it for free since I got it for free a year ago?

I'm sorry I just don't understand how it all work.

I don't have time to play Resogun right now and I rather not waste space just letting it sit in my hard drive for nothing.

SRTtoZ

I never own PS+ before. So I got a quick question. I know PS+ free games stop being free after a while.

If for example I don't want to play Resogun right now, but I don't want to miss out on the freebie. Can I download it and then delete it, then I can come back to it like a year from now and redownload it for free since I got it for free a year ago?

I don't have time to play Resogun right now and I rather not waste space just letting it sit in my hard drive for nothing.

All you have to do is add it to your DL list, you dont even have to download it.

satori

So all of this started because it got stuck downloading the 1.5 update?

No it dl the update just fine. It started when after it installed the update, it prompt us that it needs to reboot to complete the update. That is when it happened. Some user said it took them a while for it to go through. Like the ps4 restarted twice. My brother's ps4 never got that far. It just hung at a white light for a good 5+ mins.

We then hard reset the system by holding down the power button, that is when the light changed to orange. At which point we held the button down again for 7 second, which took us to the safe mode.

We now just dl the update on his laptop, once it transfer to the USB card we will try manually updating it that way. Again will report the results

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Same problem here, it's really annoying, trying to go to settings, kicks me back to the 'dashboard'. Start a game up, kicks me back to the dashboard. Once i'm actually in a game it doesn't do it, but while its loading it does it or when going to settings etc it does it. Pretty annoying, I hope they fix it soon.

I believe this is due to the network issues... almost positive actually.

diggler41

I am in love with the console. So sleek, amazing looking, wobble is a nonfactor. Games are fairly weak as far as multiplayer titles go. My friend was playing knack and we were really enjoying what we saw. Lego Marvel appears super sharp, NBA 2k is jawdropping. KZ is the prettiest I've seen so far, but I just have not had a good go with it at all :(. The camera works solid... the voice commands are pretty useless, but playroom is hilarious. Love the little headset, good sound and mic quality.

The bad news is my ps4 came with a DS4 that was DOA :(. Little bit of an overstatement, but the left button on the dpad is very unresponsive. Thought games were lagging or something, but realized it's just the D pad missing me hitting the button.

Good to hear. I haven't seen anything about it. It is just a port but it's nice to hear. Sorry about your controller though. That's no good. :(

Bradach

you don't have to actually download it to you machine buy you have to add it to your cart and checkout. you can then cancel the download when it begins.
This process will add Resogun to your download list and you can download it in the future as long as your a PS+ member

Darvan

You can download Resogun and delete it and Re-download it again a year later if you still have Plus it will be a free game if your plus has ran out then you need to purchase it.

anytime my friend and I try to chat, it says this party is restricted by NAT type. Both of our NAT's are open and have fairly decent download speed...what is happening. I cant even hear him, and he cant hear me

Skeff

ar30.jpg

Man the PS4 is cooking in my cabinet. No issues so far but I may end up moving it to the bigger shelve. Was saying that for Xbox one but gosh i dont wanna cook my ps4

The heat exhaust is on the back, Turn the PS4 90 degrees so it's facing left or right so the exhaust heat can escape easier. Providing you can still insert discs on the other side of course, or give it the bigger shelf.

Darksol

Looks like everyone is having some sort of problem :lol

Nope. Peachy keen here. Played some Knack, then Resogun, set up my PSN and user accounts, installed Netflix and Crunchyroll, now heading to bed as it downloads Contrast and Warframe in standby.

Shrewder

Neo Member
I love this fucking machine

Banderas be praised!

Whoo! I was so very nervous about setting up and wondering if I would come across any issues. So far...All is going well. I installed the 1TB hybrid HDD and it took just slightly over six minutes to finish the install. Setting up the system, camera, internet and logging-in went smooth. it's kinda weird to be so happy because a product is functioning as it should. Ha!

The basic voice commands seem to be working fine for me. I really hope they will update and expand it's navigation commands sooner than latter. Also hope they will get the Sony headsets (Stereo and Pulse) working with the next patch. I'm gonna miss using them until the patch rolls around. (Don't make me wait long, Sony)

Downloading Netflix, Resogun and BF4. Once those are done...Gonna d/load more. YES!

Hope others are are having good experiences as well.

I am getting taken to task in Killzone (Single and Multi). I don't remember sucking this badly on Console FPS's but I guess I just need to get used to the controller and the lack of auto-aim.

ekim

So how is the launch actually going? Is PSN down? More people reported about defective units? Everyone happy? I'm missing the impressions threads.

DJ88

Finally! I'm able to post a quick update here.

Launch at Best Buy went without a hitch. They had plenty of units in stock for people with out pre orders.

Got home and quickly came to the realization I was already fearing. The HDMI cable was not going to be long enough to easily set up the PS4 vertical on my entertainment center. I knew what had to be done and it wasn't going to be fun. I had to take apart like half of my entertainment setup in order to fit the HDMI cable through a space closer to where it needed to be. After about an hour, and testing everything to make sure nothing had been messed up, everything was in place, all that was left was the PS4 itself. I plugged it and I was pretty nervous after seeing the stories of faulty HDMI, after all that work it would've killed me to get no signal. Hit the button, and was welcomed by the soft blue glow and soothing music. Success! Here's a few pictures of the setup, the PS4 is definitely a looker.

i2QquPF0lsb3i.jpg

iHOheXR8gzUc4.jpg

iGUyHkeCsa6tr.jpg

Bonus pure darkness pic:

ib0Y5IXKYnyzc6.jpg

So far everything has worked perfectly. Downloaded and installed the patch. I set up a brand new PSN account since I never used the old one. Redeemed the codes, downloaded Resogun, and made my first digital purchase, Killzone, off of Amazon. The UI is super smooth, videos don't do it justice. Download speeds have been good, was surprised and pleased to see that Killzone was ready to install and begin playing only after a minute or two of downloading from the store. Love this thing so far, only thing I wish was that the light on the PS4 stayed blue like it does during start up instead of going white :( Hope everyone else's experiences are just as good as mine, off to play Killzone!

molnizzle

Whoo! I was so very nervous about setting up and wondering if I would come across any issues. So far...All is going well. I installed the 1TB hybrid HDD and it took just slightly over six minutes to finish the install.

Ah, I was wondering how the SSHDD's performed in PS4! That's definitely what I'll be upgrading with eventually. I just wish they came in 1.5 or 2 TB models. You're rocking the Seagate Momentus XT, right?

No it dl the update just fine. It started when after it installed the update, it prompt us that it needs to reboot to complete the update. That is when it happened. Some user said it took them a while for it to go through. Like the ps4 restarted twice. My brother's ps4 never got that far. It just hung at a white light for a good 5+ mins.

We then hard reset the system by holding down the power button, that is when the light changed to orange. At which point we held the button down again for 7 second, which took us to the safe mode.

We now just dl the update on his laptop, once it transfer to the USB card we will try manually updating it that way. Again will report the results

Do you think it didn't download the full update? some kind of network related error?

Marc

What customization of the UI can be done exactly? Change colours? Layout? Definitely no background pictures or preloaded themes?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Top Bottom