• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Decided to hold off on playing any online for now just because of how long it took to finally sign onto psn. The UI is pretty slick, I enjoyed it a lot from what I got to mess around with. Tried the party chat while playing offline killzone. Glad to finally have it! Downloaded resogun and contrast but didn't get to check them out.

So far so good. No problems besides connection issues but that was to be expected. Can't say I thought the system was loud at all, but then again I was into the game. Didn't notice it when loading at any point during the game or when downloading anything from the store so it wasn't an issue for me.

I'll try to listen more closely in the morning to see if it's an issue or not.

Oh and I used the HDMI cables that came in the box, and updated from a flash drive. Definitely was the right move

diggler41

Qc7iCpc.jpg

Yowzers.Mine is at least shipping from OK and KY.(Don't ask Amazon did something weird.)

Synless

Gold Member
For the new page:

Ok, what is the deal with it saying games are ready for install when they are still dl'ing? I click on them and it just says "installing application" and it never ends. Also, some of the stuff I am downloading (flower, contrast) have locks on them and says only the license holder can access them.

I take it you don't PC game.

I mostly game on PC. I understand in an open environment you need to install but on a console? And why is it so slow? Its gonna take hours to install need for speed at this rate. On Xbox 360 once you download your good to go.

Heres a question, got Need for Speed installing, can i ext that app and play another game while it installs?

can someone help me ive got my ps4 but it keeps going to the fist game in the list as if i keep pushing the guide button.. whats going on? go to game im kicked out go to store im kicked out... sift through the menus and im taken right back to ware you go when you hit the ps button...

is my controller broken? the hell?

I'm noticing the same thing. I think it is due to the intermittent PSN. It must be continuously trying to connect and dropping you to the main menu when it can't. I disconnected from the internet and it stopped. Definitely a future firmware fix item.

SRTtoZ

sadcam.png

I'm trading that bum Felton once I get my hand on MyGM
beli.png

Lol. Its ok, they hit a ton of 3's. All of the Knicks look exactly like themselves, which I hoped for since I didnt see much Knick footage from the past few months. This is a great basketball game. They even removed Shumps flattop.

So I don't get how the gamecorder works? After a badass run in killzone I hit the save video dealio. Did it a few times And then go to see them and nothings there?

You sure you're hitting power and not reset?

Yeah. I actually have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to try and boot again. All that happens is the blue strip lights up, beeps then the console just loses power and i have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to even try to power on again.

golem

I mostly game on PC. I understand in an open environment you need to install but on a console? And why is it so slow? Its gonna take hours to install need for speed at this rate. On Xbox 360 once you download your good to go.

Heres a question, got Need for Speed installing, can i ext that app and play another game while it installs?

What install and download still doesnt take place at the same time? Madness!

Does it at least not require twice the space to actually install?

On a console the ROM drive is the bottleneck - slow speeds result in bad performance, so you install them so it loads from the HDD which is much faster. Every game varies, but for most you can play once a small portion of the game's been installed: http://kotaku.com/you-can-be-playing-a-new-ps4-game-in-45-seconds-or-less-1462949507

theDeeDubs

So how loud is it, I mean is it noticeable from six to seven feet away?

Can't hear mine at all from where I sit. It's as quiet as my PS3 slim and quieter than my 360 slim. I'm only doing digital games though so that might be some people's issue.

AC4 is 22 GB and was up and playable after 2 hours for me. Embracing that all digital future.

So I don't get how the gamecorder works? After a badass run in killzone I hit the save video dealio. Did it a few times And then go to see them and nothings there? I understand it records the last fifteen minutes of gameplay. But Thats after I hit the record? Or before? For all I know it was just bugging out on me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When you're in a game, how long does it take you to check out the latest trophy you got? It took like 20 seconds on the PS3.

So how loud is it, I mean is it noticeable from six to seven feet away?

I think it is louder than my second gen PS3 slim. I don't think the disc drive ever really powers down. I'm playing Killzone and the drive is always going. I hear it spin up when I start and then it slows but I don't think it ever really stops.

DUMPTRUXX

Banned
Uh.

Was just playing Killzone, hit the share button.

Some window came up explaining how it records. I hit OK, my entire system shutdown.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yeah. I actually have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to try and boot again. All that happens is the blue strip lights up, beeps then the console just loses power and i have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to even try to power on again.

Ugh. Sorry, dude. Safe mode isn't working, either?

I'm just going off what other people have said. I don't have a console yet so I'm not the best person to ask.

Rsinart

Well after 3 hours with the PS4, for myself I think its pretty damn good. I came from owning a ps3 and never really using it cause of the slowness of it. Like how fluid the new one is. Jumping in and out of games to check messages ect is really smooth. Besides the sign in errors earlier I have had no issues. Played nothing but killzone so far and I am impressed by how good it looks on my tv. Glad I decided to pre order my console instead of waiting till next year.

my ups shipped 13th, still says on target for 15th, but shows no status of location.

i wake up tomorrow, hoping...

for a better life...

Single+Tear+Native+American.gif

Other than the expected network issues, everything seems good. I set things up, downloaded Contrast & Resogun, and tested out vita and tablet remote play/second screen. Now time for bed. Good luck everyone!

I don't know if this has been answered yet. But is any way to pause downloads? I only see the option to delete. If I delete said download, will it resume where I left off when I redownload?

Yeah, this system is definitely no where near quiet.

What? I don't hear anything and it's been on for nearly 3 hours straight. 1hr worth of gameplay and a shit load of multitasking. Only time i heard anything was the HDD during firmware update.

Haven't tested a BR yet, but the system itself has been noiseless so far and it's 4am here.

Same here. I gave up, thinking my PS4 was broken and decided to play 360. No signal found. How about Wii U. Nothing. TV? Nothing? PS3? Nothing. Turned off the TV with the 360 still on, and turned on the TV and got picture back. I was like WTF. Then I plugged in the PS4, turned the TV off and on and voila, a picture.

The annoying thing is I have to turn off and on the TV every time I want to change things.

I really have no idea what It was about the PS4 that did this. I was playing 360 up to 11:40 and went to Gamestop at 11:50 (I live close). Got home at 12:15, setup done at 12:30 and that's when my TV goes nuts. I've never had anything close to a problem with this TV before.

Try putting the PS4 on a certain resolution instead of automatic

I'm wondering if it actually installs to the HDD from the disk as fast as it says. Kz is 39 gigs and in the settings it says that 39 gigs has been taken on the HDD. But I don't think it is physically possible to copy 39 gigs as fast as it seems. I think the system allocates the space and then copies from the disc as you go.

SRTtoZ

bah this sucks, I told him on holding off updating to 1.5 now the PS4 has no out put and is just blinking white.

As my PS4 was updating that happened to me but after 20-30 seconds it started again and continued installing. Not sure if thats a thing or supposed to happen.

On a console the ROM drive is the bottleneck - slow speeds result in bad performance, so you install them so it loads from the HDD which is much faster. Every game varies, but for most you can play once a small portion of the game's been installed: http://kotaku.com/you-can-be-playing-a-new-ps4-game-in-45-seconds-or-less-1462949507

Yeah its a trick though, your playing a small chunk of that game and as soon as i beat it it dumped me to the install screen

cdwjustin

Banned
I'm noticing the same thing. I think it is due to the intermittent PSN. It must be continuously trying to connect and dropping you to the main menu when it can't. I disconnected from the internet and it stopped. Definitely a future firmware fix item.

ok so its not just me i was going to return it to walmart if its just me..

Garland7G

Jumping in here real quick with a question, just finally got signed in to psn and tried putting in the code that comes with the ps4 for 30 day of ps+ and it says I need to put in my credit card to use it, any way around that?

Top Bottom