• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How do you see the battery life of the controller? PS button doesn't do it any more.

Why don't friend requests disappear after I decline them?

They do but take a minute I think. PSN is getting hammered and I think it's a server side check.

Loudninja

I'm really stunned at how bad people are at interpreting mathematical figures in general. First of all, Sony referenced the .4% with regards to units that had BEEN REPORTED to them. They're not saying the defect rate is .4%. How could they possibly know what the average or adjusted defect rate of a batch of devices is going to be until many years down the road when they have data? Especially if we're talking about different things. Every single unit could have exploded yesterday and Sony would say .4% until more people started calling into them and saying hey my system exploded.

Also, I'm unclear of what the light pattern should be. People are saying theirs is blinking white...but I think mine blinks white when it is on. So that shouldn't be a sign anything is wrong I THINK. Is it possible the PS4's default video setting is not being picked up by people with certain settings on TVs?
We need a topic to go deeper into this issue.

Like what tv sets people have and if they updated the firmware.

sangreal

ffs, 1 hour later and I still can't play beyond the tutorial in nfs (or even replay the tutorial). Very disappointed with "playgo"

can't even play anything else while it "installs" since the game has to be open

Vercimber

You may have acted a little to early. According to EA the firmware update is causing these issues.

My question is, then, how is one supposed to go about navigating menus at all if upon the first hook up to the TV there's nothing but blackness. I can't even see the menu to initiate the firmware! It was completely black, and I tested out my PS3, 360, Wii U, and computer, and all were operating just fine. I also looked closely, with a super-bright LED flashlight, into the interior of the 4's HDMI port. There was not loose metal. So it was just DOA.

Typomancer

Neo Member
Loki.gif

My exact reaction after realizing that it was working correctly, haha.

That ear bud and mic is junk ha. I couldnt hear anyone. Nobody could hear me and it doesnt fit my ear.

I am not bitching too much though because so far so good with the console.

I was disappointed you had to have the ultimate edition og injustice to upgrade for 10 bucks.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm really stunned at how bad people are at interpreting mathematical figures in general. First of all, Sony referenced the .4% with regards to units that had BEEN REPORTED to them. They're not saying the defect rate is .4%. How could they possibly know what the average or adjusted defect rate of a batch of devices is going to be until many years down the road when they have data? Especially if we're talking about different things. Every single unit could have exploded yesterday and Sony would say .4% until more people started calling into them and saying hey my system exploded.

Also, I'm unclear of what the light pattern should be. People are saying theirs is blinking white...but I think mine blinks white when it is on. So that shouldn't be a sign anything is wrong I THINK. Is it possible the PS4's default video setting is not being picked up by people with certain settings on TVs?

Hmm I'm playing Killzone now, and my white light is constant and not blinking. Does it blink when you are in the main UI?

CF22

Before the update PSN was very slow, decided to do USB update and PSN is working fine, at least better than on PS3.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I think maybe you're on to something about the video settings and certain TVs. It would explain why some people are fine and others are dead right out of the box. Like my system turns on fine and it appears to be working normally but it just will not display a picture on the screen.

Zero doubt. Amazon. Get your money back and try again if you like. Sony will take a couple weeks.

Considering they have had stock back in a couple times since launch I would doubt the Christmas line. They just cannot guarantee you a date is all. Take the refund and try the 90% lotto again.

I went ahead and set it up for service. I will look around and see if I can find one in stock, but I doubt I will. If I do, I'll just return this one to Amazon.

People where I'm from are vultures. Craigslist is littered with people hording 5-10 and selling them at a super high price.

Jachaos

How does one cause accidental damage to a home console? There's a discoloured outline on my shelf where my cable box sits because it hasn't moved in 3 years :)

Well I guess by carrying it around and dropping it or someone drunk or tired spilling something over it or falling on it, none have ever happened to me but I'll probably get it for 10$ extra, it should also cover the non-accidental.

jaaz

Can't seem to sign on to PSN. Can't get past "Please Wait". Anyone else having this issue? I assume PSN is getting slammed...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Should I open my PS4 at Gamestop and check to see if there is that metal little thing in the HDMI port?

No, it is not indicative of anything I think.

Hmm I'm playing Killzone now, and my white light is constant and not blinking. Does it blink when you are in the main UI?

The only time I've been in a position to see it honestly is when I was updating the console and it was blinking white during the process. It took about a minute to fully reboot and I was freaking out I bricked it.

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
BF4 is godlike on PS4 compared to PC. No crashes, no lag, no disconnects.... I'm in heaven.

Even though I played a lengthy session of Killzone MP and was going to play AC 4 next for variety you are making me eyeball BF4 i got from Gamefly seriously now sir. lol

BadHand

So my PS4 was "busted" out of the box, but seems OK now.

First, no HDMI picture. For some reason my receiver will not pick up the video signal but plays the audio no problem.

So I plugged into my TV and used digital audio out for sound to my surround speakers. Worked fine.

Then my PS4 prompted 1.50 update, it was downloaded before I even finished the tutorial, and began installing. Screen went black and I waited for about 15 minutes, it had a perpetual blue flashing light. Nothing was happening.

I held down the power button for about 10 seconds and got 1 beep. It restarted immediately into safe mode. I chose the option to restart my system, PS4 automatically did a check, rebuilt the database and loaded back into tutorial.

I downloaded the 1.50 update again, and it installed with "ERROR XXXXXX" (don't have the info right now). It let my into the UI and I manually tried to download the 1.5 update, it said it was already installed. I checked the system information and it said the firmware version was 1.50.

I've played some battlefield and some ass creed and everything seems good for now.

I hope that ERROR was nothing... Anyone experience anything like that?

I'm trying to play CoD: Ghosts and it's saying that it needs an update to access network features. How do I update it? I don't see the option anywhere.

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently, it's doing it on it's own. If anyone wants to check the progress, it's under Notifications > Downloads.

Briarios

I'm having the worst time with Amazon this launch. They "lost" FIFA, Rivals never shipped, now Skylanders is also lost. So, I called customer service.

Me: You said you shipped me a game, and UPS never received it. Please send me the game.
Amazon: Yes, I see the shipper never received the item, but we have a quantity limit on that game and cannot send you another one for at least a week.
Me: That's ludicrous. You never sent the first one.
Amazon: You can have someone else order it for you.
Me: No thank you, I want you to send me what I paid for.
Amazon: You can create a second account with a different e-mail and order it.
Me: No. You're asking me to do your work for you. I didn't receive 50% of the games I ordered, do you consider that successful? By any measure, that's considered failing.
Amazon: Let me go look for other options.

GAHHHHH!

So, she comes back on and says there is no way to get around the quantity limit. She offered to refund the amount of credit I used, but it's minus the $20 promotional credit from the b2g1 free sale.

So, she offers me a free game plus the credit. That was hard to say no to, so I got AC4. It took half an hour, though -- and, I didn't really want anything free ... I'd prefer just to have the game I ordered, but whatever ...

Colbert

Banned
Is there a way to link Twitter with PS4?

I have no PS4 because I live in Europe but I saw a video when you press the share button you get an options menu what type of content you want to share. If you chose picture you get Facebook or Twitter as option. If you go on Twitter and you are not authorizes yet you will forwarded to a registration screen.

Thats all I saw because they wanted not going through the process because it was on a live stream.

Thats all what I remember from it. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom