• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

jaaz

Yes, PSN must be getting slammed because all I get is a "Please Wait" followed by the occasional error message. At one point is said PSN was down for maintenance.

1:14PM, Fedex has delivered the Sony.com order.

IMG_0027.JPG

They're also throw in hyping the W900.

meanspartan

Question for you guys:

Standby mode is awesome and I have been leaving it on that instead of fully turning it off. My concern though is it warns you to turn it totally off before unplugging the power. While I don't ever plan on yanking the power randomly, is it possible a power outage could damage a Ps4 in standby mode? Should I be turning it off instead?

Vark

Got mine from Amazon today annndddd.

Joining the flashing blue light and no video club. Tried everything mentioned and then some with no luck.

Pain

Banned
************so do I use my own HDMI cable?
Do I not install he update or do I have to?***********
I'd hold off on installing that firmware update if I were you. At least until Sony confirms that there are no issues with the firmware, which there do seem to be.
Better safe than bricked.

Okay I finished downloading the FW patch (even though it kept on disconnecting from the servers)

yet it is saying "preparing to install".... for about 30min now

What do I do?

I can't go online without this FW right?

Try to go online. Something like going to friends list, the store, etc. Or go to "settings" and system software". When it says you need to update, click "ok" and it should tell you that you have the FW downloaded and you can install it. But an error might occur and it'll say something like "server timed out" or something. You just have to keep downloading and trying to install. Happened to me at midnight, and took me a couple of tries.

So, should I use a different HDMI cable or the one Sony provides?

I switched to a different one (don't know what the quality of the shipped cable could be)
Okay I finished downloading the FW patch (even though it kept on disconnecting from the servers)

yet it is saying "preparing to install".... for about 30min now

What do I do?

I can't go online without this FW right?

Sorry for quoting myself but I need some help GAF :(

Try to go online. Something like going to friends list, the store, etc. Or go to "settings" and system software". When it says you need to update, click "ok" and it should tell you that you have the FW downloaded and you can install it. But an error might occur and it'll say something like "server timed out" or something. You just have to keep downloading and trying to install. Happened to me at midnight, and took me a couple of tries.

will try and report back

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently playing the "Please wait..." game that came bundled with the system. I'm guessing everybody came home from work and are trying to setup their system now.

Vercimber

Bad news friend, there will still be faulty units regardless when you pick it up. Nature of electronics and all.

Obviously. Just because I've been convinced to wait given the defective unit doesn't suggest I think all future iterations of the hardware won't be faulty. Machines break. The chances of me getting another faulty unity are slim.

BFIB

Ok, didn't have a lot of time to mess around with the system, but here's my initial impressions:

-System looks great in person. Thad slanted look had me a little hesistant at first, but now after seeing it in person, I like it a lot.
-DS4 is by far, the best controller I've ever held. Immediatly upon opening it, and taking it out of the pouch, it just felt right. Triggers are a good distance apart, I no longer have that "cramped" feeling.
-Set up took about 15 minutes or so. Got to the 1.50 update and had my fingers crossed! But everything went smoothly, just let the system do its thing. Did a reboot, then another reboot, and after that, everything came up.
-Have AC4 and BF4 launch (thanks Amazon for the freebie!). Popped in AC4, did the initial startup gameplay and had to shut it down (stupid work!)

Overall, its a solid system. AC4, at least from the beginning, looked outstanding. The rain effects look great.

Karak

Got mine from Amazon today annndddd.

Joining the flashing blue light and no video club. Tried everything mentioned and then some with no luck.
Man that sucks. Is it straight to your TV or through a receiver? Same setup as your old system or a new setup completely?

So I have been uploading videos, I love the share button but there is an issue with how it records. It was said the system would automatically record the last 15 minutes of play but that is not so. Many times I have hit share and I don't have the last 15 minutes. After you go back to your game it will start a new recording but I have found that after 15 minutes it will simply stop or take a break.

So, should I use a different HDMI cable or the one Sony provides?

The one that comes with it is perfectly fine, but if you need something longer I suggest the AmazonBasics cables. I bought a 9.8 footer because my TV is large and the other cables were inadequate. Those Amazon branded cables are really high quality.

nataku

I can't access my privacy settings. I thought I disabled my real name, but its still showing on my feed. Is it normal to show in yours still?

I'm really starting to believe there is a default output setting that is not being picked up by receivers and TVs and causing issues.

I'm reasonably sure that's not my issue. My brothers PS4 works absolutely fine on the same system with the same cables. I'm still on the phone with Sony support, but mine won't even boot into safe mode. Just turns off after the second beep.

I think I got a busted console as well. System was crashing every time I tried to download the update, so on the suggestion of someone here, I tried the USB method. Got pretty far with that, but now every time I turn the system on, I get the flashing red light and the system shuts down. I even moved it out of my TV stand thinking the ventilation might be bad. Same thing keeps happening. Not sure if I should keep trying or just send it back to Amazon.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The one that comes with it is perfectly fine, but if you need something longer I suggest the AmazonBasics cables. I bought a 9.8 footer because my TV is large and the other cables were inadequate. Those Amazon branded cables are really high quality.

I just ordered one a minute or two ago, haha.

kaskade

I'm really starting to believe there is a default output setting that is not being picked up by receivers and TVs and causing issues.

Imagine if that is all it is. Hopefully if it is there is a way for them to just say do this this and this and it should work.

I'm just putting mine where my PS3 was. It's a fat so the AC is different but that's all. Sometimes it does feel like some devices take a little longer to show up on my TV than others.

Gaz_RB

Got it. Installed the updated. Now it's stuck on the "Please Wait" screen when I try to sign in to PSN. Anyone have any tips?

Don't wait. Either back out and retry if possible, or restart the console (nothing bad happens). Keep retrying. Don't wait longer than like a minute.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Hopefully by the time I get mine Monday, PSN won't be getting hammered and maybe some issues will have been pin pointed or resolved.

damn this "timed out" nonsense
:((

Stop taking up all the server space you Wipper snappers

Do I continue to connect to the servers with the same download when it says timed out or do I just re-download it again... Since when I tried the former it couldn't install it

Top Bottom