• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So my PS4 was "busted" out of the box, but seems OK now.

First, no HDMI picture. For some reason my receiver will not pick up the video signal but plays the audio no problem.

So I plugged into my TV and used digital audio out for sound to my surround speakers. Worked fine.

Then my PS4 prompted 1.50 update, it was downloaded before I even finished the tutorial, and began installing. Screen went black and I waited for about 15 minutes, it had a perpetual blue flashing light. Nothing was happening.

I held down the power button for about 10 seconds and got 1 beep. It restarted immediately into safe mode. I chose the option to restart my system, PS4 automatically did a check, rebuilt the database and loaded back into tutorial.

I downloaded the 1.50 update again, and it installed with "ERROR XXXXXX" (don't have the info right now). It let my into the UI and I manually tried to download the 1.5 update, it said it was already installed. I checked the system information and it said the firmware version was 1.50.

I've played some battlefield and some ass creed and everything seems good for now.

I hope that ERROR was nothing... Anyone experience anything like that?
I'm really starting to believe there is a default output setting that is not being picked up by receivers and TVs and causing issues.

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/inside-the-sony-ps4/

JdwDdek.png

Mononoke

Banned
No, it is not indicative of anything I think.

The only time I've been in a position to see it honestly is when I was updating the console and it was blinking white during the process. It took about a minute to fully reboot and I was freaking out I bricked it.

You are right. I recall mine blinking too. It's now constant, but I do remember it blinking while updating. And maybe even downloading. But yeah, I'm not in a position either to check that.

Timan

Developer
Is there a release date list for stuff like don't starve, octodad? I am a bit disappointed at the lack of indie launch titles.

Dre3001

Is PSN down or is it just me who is unable to connect?

Also is it normal for the white light on the system to blink for about 30 seconds after powering off the system? Mine just blinks until eventually the light goes orange which I am assuming is standby mode.

Regardless of everything, the fact that Sony is trying to sell you insurance when you call in about your broken-on-Day-One machine is revolting.

I'm so glad we have the Consumer Guarantees Act here and they can't pull that shit.

Yeah I think maybe you're on to something about the video settings and certain TVs. It would explain why some people are fine and others are dead right out of the box. Like my system turns on fine and it appears to be working normally but it just will not display a picture on the screen.

This probably has already been mentioned but has anyone tried holding the power button down on shutdown and on start. The PS3 will reset its display settings this way, the PS4 might as well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel like the only way to trigger this UPS guy showing up is to leave my house. Sitting here for hours on end doesn't seem to work.

Loudninja

I'm really starting to believe there is a default output setting that is not being picked up by receivers and TVs and causing issues.
Same with this person
When I initially hooked up my PS4 it pulsed blue for a while and gave no signal. I held the power for 7 seconds to let it turn off, then turned it back on, and I got the white light but still no signal. I then reseated the HDMI cable in my receiver and it worked perfectly. It seems like the PS4 is very finicky about HDMI handshakes.

It sounds like you've tried plenty of options to diagnose that though...

edit: I have an Amazon PS4.

Redeemed the PS Plus 30-day trial during setup then when I logged into the PS Store it asked me to purchase PS Plus and didn't show activation. Hopefully they work out all the issues soon.

Hattori

Banned
5hrs in and issue-free so far. I'll play around again in 8hrs to see if it holds up.
Tip: You can check you're controller battery level by holding the PS button, it should be at the bottom.

Gaz_RB

Anyone having trouble signing into PSN for the first time on PS4? Mine's stuck on 'Please wait' for a while now.

Help!

Did you cancel and retry, or just let it sit there?

Definitely cancel out if it's taking awhile. It goes fast when its gonna work.

Turning off your console during the Please Wait seems to have no negative effects

So what in the hell does the touch pad do? I keep trying to use it all over the place, but nothing seems to recognize it. Not even the web browser :/

Midas

Regardless of everything, the fact that Sony is trying to sell you insurance when you call in about your broken-on-Day-One machine is revolting.

I'm so glad we have the Consumer Guarantees Act here and they can't pull that shit.

Haha just like Apple tried to sell me Apple Care when I called them about my broken iPhone. Disgusting.

Redmoon

PS4 shipping box came damaged with ripped tape lol, but its working fine! Having trouble with PSN though. Servers probably getting hammered.

Distance is literally 1-2 mm between the top of my PS4 and the bottom of my TV. Just barely fit. Think ill keep it here :3. Looking forward to Shadowfall.

Also, really LOVING the feel of the DS4. And the menu music.

I feel like the only way to trigger this UPS guy showing up is to leave my house. Sitting here for hours on end doesn't seem to work.
The trigger volume for that AI script is probably closer to your front door. Try leaving and re-entering your house a few times just to be sure.

If you see LOD issues or a little texture pop-in that's normal, and might actually be a good sign.

If that doesn't work, do what I do, and start smashing dishes for no reason.

Hex

Banned
Quickly remembering how shit I am at shooters, but honestly god how smooth everything has been with the only hiccup being a small delay with waiting while it set up my PSN settings.
Installing games and apps is crazy fast

Wow at all the stories about hardware/ HDMI failures.

I wanted to chime in and share my story about my midnight launch. I successfully snagged my PS4 without a preorder. So far my PS4 works just fine. I understand that PSN didn't log in but that seems to be resolved. Yes, my PS4 wobbles but it's not an issue as long you dont fuck around with it.

Here are some pictures of the midnight launch...

My local GameStop in Syracuse, NY

zsyk.jpg

Upon entering, I was greeted by this:

8e26.jpg

There was two lines... one for these that preordered and one that did not.

ty0u.jpg

One of the employees loved to talk a LOT:

vjbv.jpg

The result after one hour and half of waiting at 6PM?

2jhw.jpg

Here's the PS4 next to my Slim:

fow3.jpg

Is the track pad not supposed to work in the OS? Mine won't do anything, Killzone's still downloading so I can't test it with a game I know works.

Okay I finished downloading the FW patch (even though it kept on disconnecting from the servers)

yet it is saying "preparing to install".... for about 30min now

What do I do?

I can't go online without this FW right?

Pain

Banned
Is PSN down or is it just me who is unable to connect?

Also is it normal for the white light on the system to blink for about 30 seconds after powering off the system? Mine just blinks until eventually the light goes orange which I am assuming is standby mode.
PSN isn't down it's just experiencing high traffic.

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
So what in the hell does the touch pad do? I keep trying to use it all over the place, but nothing seems to recognize it. Not even the web browser :/

From my experience so far in using it on Killzone SP swiping my finger in different directions commands the OWL to use different abilitlies.

Not sure yet about other games / apps.

Top Bottom