• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Price increase in Japan has made Xbox Series console sales shot up

Draugoth

Gold Member
GWIRYfyWwAANwx9

GWIRzJbXoAADjeq

PS5 now cost near 80,000 yen vs Series X 67,000 yen.​

at Yodobashi, one of Japan’s biggest electronics retailers, Xbox Series X console shot up to number 8 in the games and consoles sales chart on the morning of August 29

Source

reinking

Gold Member
Sales of all PS5 consoles have been halted across major retailers in Japan (including Sony Store, Amazon Japan, Yodobashi and Joshin), as pre-price rise stock has completely sold out since Sony’s announcement about the hike on Tuesday. At the time of writing, Yodobashi is also out of Xbox Series X stock as well, likely due to its unexpected rise up the sales chart.

Will sales of PS5 consoles regain traction when new stock arrives at a higher price? Maybe not but being out of stock at any price is definitely going to halt sales. Also, what was the Xbox Series X stock like prior to the PS5 announcement? I wish that had been provided to give more context to the "unexpected rise up the sales chart." Don't get me wrong, I hope Sony does get smacked down a bit for increasing prices this late in a generation but I am not going to throw on my green party hat and declare Xbox Series king of the console in Japan just yet.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Why do you care whether the price drops?

The cost of components has increased. We haven't seen global inflation like this since before the NES launched.
Yeah.

It's also weird for people to say "they should just buy a PC" as if Pc components and PCs in general aren't increasing just as much in price. Building your own PC has never been as expensive as it is right now.

This also isn't just about consoles...what a weird thing to complain about.

Have yall seen how food has been increasing over the past decade? Now that's fucked up. A console that i buy once every 5 years increasing 100 isn't as terrible.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeah.

It's also weird for people to say "they should just buy a PC" as if Pc components and PCs in general aren't increasing just as much in price. Building your own PC has never been as expensive as it is right now.

This also isn't just about consoles...what a weird thing to complain about.

Have yall seen how food has been increasing over the past decade? Now that's fucked up. A console that i buy once every 5 years increasing 100 isn't as terrible.
Yeah, people act like these things are some life-needing devices. It’s a hobby piece, not groceries. Too expensive? Simple. Don’t buy it.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The narrative of “Better buy a PC instead of a PS5” is going kinda strong in Japan, they list articles like the following: https://ascii.jp/elem/000/004/217/4217888/

But, they recommend a PC that has a RTX3500, a Ryzen 5 4500 with 16gb ram and 500gb SSD for 100k yen, only to end the article saying that the specs are lower than the PS5, Wait…. What?

Someone writing an article doesn't make it true.

Especially when someone lists two components on top of everything else you need to buy in order to actually create a gaming rig.

It's hilarious the lengths people will go to to make an ass out of themselves.

137 more dollars than a PS5 and you still need to buy a controller. So you're actually looking at more than 200 dollars more... and that's still if you connect it to your tv and don't need to buy a monitor.

It's hilarious the lengths people will go to to make an ass out of themselves.

137 more dollars than a PS5 and you still need to buy a controller. So you're actually looking at more than 200 dollars more... and that's still if you connect it to your tv and don't need to buy a monitor.
Not only that, the performance is lower than the PS5.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Consoles should be dropping in price, what a generation...
Nearly every console generation since the NES days has existed on a timeline where global inflation was small and steady, and the cost of electronic components got cheaper over time. Neither of those things has been true for the last four years.

So, here we are.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
ASUS ROG and Lenovo Legion gaming laptops are an unbelievable value right now.
When I was in Japan a few months ago, these types of handhelds were incredibly expensive (even when converted to USD, it would have been cheaper to buy them in the US and sell them in Japan!). I just looked and the Rog Ally X MSRP there is about 140k yen, about $965 USD

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
This is a flat out lie The price went up like 30 hours ago. How do they have accurate meaningful sales data?

The price increase doesn't go into effect until September 2nd.

I've heard reports that the PS5 is largely sold out in Japan and my guess is the next shipments are going through retail post price increase.

We should see a marked decrease in sales for the PS5 in the next famitsu sales report or the subsequent one.

HogIsland

When I was in Japan a few months ago, these types of handhelds were incredibly expensive (even when converted to USD, it would have been cheaper to buy them in the US and sell them in Japan!). I just looked and the Rog Ally X MSRP there is about 140k yen, about $965 USD
Laptops, not gaming handhelds.

jshackles

Laptops, not gaming handhelds.
Ah sorry, missed that part. PC is definitely taking off in a big way over there and yes is pretty reasonably priced. With the new PS5 prices, it'll probably grow the PC market there even more.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Better note this one for the resume:

"Was part of team that oversaw an increase in Xbox consoles sales in Japanese region by 200%"

Top Bottom