• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Price increase in Japan has made Xbox Series console sales shot up

Woopah

To think this might all be a result of watching Nintendo release the OLED Switch at a higher cost and watching the sales soar...*

*I know that's oversimplified. Relax.
It's nothing to do with Switch OLED. It's about the weakness of the yen (and possibly the software revenue not making up for the hardware loss).

smbu2000

It's nothing to do with Switch OLED. It's about the weakness of the yen (and possibly the software revenue not making up for the hardware loss).
Are you sure it's about the weak yen? When Sony increased the price again last year with the introduction of the new model in Nov. 2023 it was 150 yen/1 USD. It got weaker after that to about 160 yen/1 USD earlier this year, but since the rate increase a month ago it got stronger to 143 yen/1 USD and it is still basically there.

Maybe Sony already had this increase planned out at the old rate of 154 (just before the increase), but it still seems greedy. Especially with the stronger Yen and the fairly large 13,000 yen price increase. The original price increase in 2022 (when the Yen went to 140/1 USD) was 5,500 yen. The increase with the new model last year was 7,000 yen. This is more than both previous price increases combined and the yen is stronger than last year when the new model released.

I guess they have to make back those losses on Concord somehow.

Woopah

Are you sure it's about the weak yen? When Sony increased the price again last year with the introduction of the new model in Nov. 2023 it was 150 yen/1 USD. It got weaker after that to about 160 yen/1 USD earlier this year, but since the rate increase a month ago it got stronger to 143 yen/1 USD and it is still basically there.

Maybe Sony already had this increase planned out at the old rate of 154 (just before the increase), but it still seems greedy. Especially with the stronger Yen and the fairly large 13,000 yen price increase. The original price increase in 2022 (when the Yen went to 140/1 USD) was 5,500 yen. The increase with the new model last year was 7,000 yen. This is more than both previous price increases combined and the yen is stronger than last year when the new model released.

I guess they have to make back those losses on Concord somehow.
I would imagine it's because they had this plan before the rate started to improve. The fact that this is rise applies to multiple Playstation products but only in Japan, strongly indicates that it's because of the currency.

It might be intended to prevent people in other countries buying PS products from Japan for lower prices.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I mean this was Microsoft's main reason for the Series S. That we were not going to see price drops on hardware like in past generations.

Sooner

Context.

The future price increase made PS5s stock to sell out before the increase.

PS5s selling out then bumped Xbox sales (as there is no alternative available to purchase).

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

ASUS ROG and Lenovo Legion gaming laptops are an unbelievable value right now.
I know this isn't related, but I wanted to warn against asus laptops.

I own an Asus Zephyrus G15, that has the most bootleg issue. So sometimes when I restart my laptop, it will show the bios splash screen, then the screen will turn off ( no cursor no back light) but I can get into the bios before that. Funny enough, windows will still load (I see the sensor for the face login going off). They only way I found to fix this issue is to boot it from a windows usb, and let the battery die. Then on the next boot the screen works normally.

Also, randomly a single line of pixels died on my screen dead center horizontaly. My brain ends up blocking out so it doesn't brother me in game play, but it's just Wtf

My last asus laptop lasted ten years (and would be still kicking if not for directx 11) with no hardware issues . I've had the G15 for about a year and a half and I'm really disappointed.

Not to say all Asus laptops have issues, but let my issue be a warning.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I think their intention was to undercut Sony on price. But it didn't work like that.

"Moore's Law is certainly not dead! Moore's Law is continuing and we have a good path to 5nm and 3nm, and those are going to bring improved performance and good power," enthuses Goossen. "What they're not bringing any more is a good cost reduction cost per transistor - and so this has foundational impacts to console development, because now we'll get cost reductions, but they're slowing down and it won't be nearly the magnitudes that we've seen before."

The fact is that future nodes like 5nm and 3nm do deliver advantages then - and PC processors and GPUs along with smartphones can still benefit from those. But typically, consoles stick to the same performance profile across the generation. Goossen is essentially suggesting that leveraging these nodes for cheaper consoles may not be an option, which poses a difficult problem for the Xbox team going into the future with the intention of delivering even more powerful hardware. Processor performance is tied closely to transistor count - but if the cost per transistor is not reducing, a new chip with more logic will cost a lot more to make, even if it's actually smaller than today's processors. For the new consoles, a smaller, slimmer machine is a possibility - but the actual cost of making it won't change that much.

"And so that was another one of the reasons why we felt that we really had to do Series S at the beginning because we had to design for the future. For the first time, we had to have the entry-level console at the beginning. Previous generations were kind of easy because at the beginning of the generation, you make something really expensive - put as much silicon and as much performance as you could into it - then you would just ride the cost reduction curves down to mass market prices. That's not there anymore,"
Goossen explains.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
  • Switch OLED – 43,410
  • Switch Lite – 13,580
  • Switch – 6,661
  • PS5 – 26,912
  • PS5 Digital Edition – 6,953
  • Xbox Series X – 405
  • Xbox Series S – 373
  • PS4 – 91
Last week. Yup...dat bump to absolutely the same as ever for Xbox lmao