• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Price increase in Japan has made Xbox Series console sales shot up

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
PS5 is 80,000 yen, might as well get a PC!

Looks up GPU prices : 90,000 yen for a 4070, 45-50k for a 4060. And that's just one component (the most expensive one).
It works like that with PC. The more expensive the console is, a better deal a PC is. It never was about paying the same or less.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
PS5 components?

We already know Sony was making a profit off each unit sold, and prices don’t generally go up with old tech.

Don't know how many times I have to debunk this, but Sony has consistently reported losses on hardware for years.

And prices HAVE gone up, we aren't experiencing general pricing.

Unknown?

"Better buy a PC instead".

Go Japan go.

filmation-ghostbusters.gif
For even more money? Nah.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Don't know how many times I have to debunk this, but Sony has consistently reported losses on hardware for years.

And prices HAVE gone up, we aren't experiencing general pricing.

I’ve always read on GAF that Sony’s profiting off every PS5. If that’s not true then so be it, but there’s no way they haven’t slashed manufacturing costs on them.
Something else is driving prices up.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
It works like that with PC. The more expensive the console is, a better deal a PC is. It never was about paying the same or less.
The thing is, what's making prices increase on consoles is also increasing the prices on PCs. That's what people are failing to talk about lol. It's not like GPUs, graphic cards, CPus, etc are all cheap for PC and brands like Sony are the only ones having trouble to get less expensive. Hell no one even includes a controller when talking about building a PC but that's also something to be considered and they aren't cheap nowadays.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The thing is, what's making prices increase on consoles is also increasing the prices on PCs. That's what people are failing to talk about lol. It's not like GPUs, graphic cards, CPus, etc are all cheap for PC and brands like Sony are the only ones having trouble to get less expensive. Hell no one even includes a controller when talking about building a PC but that's also something to be considered and they aren't cheap nowadays.
You don't include mouse+kb when buying a console. It's optional.

That's 3+ years old.
👇
Since when exactly?

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
> “X-box sales shot up”
> #8
> one user quote, no mention of Xbox but talks about buying a PC

laughing-tom-cruise.gif

Deerock71

To think this might all be a result of watching Nintendo release the OLED Switch at a higher cost and watching the sales soar...*

*I know that's oversimplified. Relax.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
To think this might all be a result of watching Nintendo release the OLED Switch at a higher cost and watching the sales soar...*

*I know that's oversimplified. Relax.
Speaking of the Switch 2...i can't wait until that thing comes out at a price higher than 400$ and people pretending to be shocked by it as well lmao.

StereoVsn

Ah sorry, missed that part. PC is definitely taking off in a big way over there and yes is pretty reasonably priced. With the new PS5 prices, it'll probably grow the PC market there even more.
It’s clearly all a plot by Gaben.

giphy.gif

Also, I find it hard to believe that Sony is losing money on hardware now, especially after Slim refresh.

Does anyone actually have info from Sony or reputable 3rd parties on that?

Last edited:

RickMasters

Consoles should be dropping in price, what a generation...

Yeah it’s nuts. Mid cycle price hike…. Last gen seems to be sticking around….. what the hell is going on with the games industry these days?

Makes you wonder just how much is the PS5 pro really gonna cost…..

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I’ve always read on GAF that Sony’s profiting off every PS5. If that’s not true then so be it, but there’s no way they haven’t slashed manufacturing costs on them.
Something else is driving prices up.

They've discussed multiple times and it has been heavily reported that component costs have gone up. Transportation costs have also gone up.

I'm not sure what to tell you at this point.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Japan is discovering that Xbox+GP is a way better deal. But seriously, Japan. Just buy a PC. It’s a better long term investment. Sony is a company from your own country and they are screwing you.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nearly every console generation since the NES days has existed on a timeline where global inflation was small and steady, and the cost of electronic components got cheaper over time. Neither of those things has been true for the last four years.

So, here we are.
We also live in a world where all of these huge companies are making record profits. This isn't all about inflation.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Japan is discovering that Xbox+GP is a way better deal. But seriously, Japan. Just buy a PC. It’s a better long term investment. Sony is a company from your own country and they are screwing you.

I’m surprised they would buy the Series X over the Series S in Japan. I understand for 3rd party games it might be a better price point, but Microsoft has done very little to gain market share in Japan.

Metnut

PS5 completely sold out. Wow. Amazing to see PS5 selling worldwide at a faster pace than PS4. Consoles truly are king. GTA6 is just going to drive the sales through the roof.

damidu

these articles are deliberately to fuck with the xbox userbase at this point. i swear.
not a fan of the hivemind myself, but this is getting cruel

Ebrietas

Neo Member
It's like people forget how much GPU prices have been skyrocketing the past few years, and it's only going to get worse. Console prices have historically been very resistant to inflation.

If someone can't afford a PS5, then a gaming PC/laptop that costs 2-3x as much is not an option.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
semiconductors, ram, storage.... you know basically everything that costs anything on the PS5...

RAM and storage prices aren’t up.

My feeling is a corporation like Sony is going to raise the price because they feel the need to, and whatever reason they give for it may not necessarily be the truth.

Banjo64

cumsessed
We’re talking nominal figures for PS and Xbox in Japan. Switch is where Japanese games thrive. Mobile for everything else. I don’t know what value exists from Xbox in that market.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
what tha hell are you talking about? You need a controller to play on a PS5, and that's included with the console.

You either need a Mouse/Keyboard and/or a controller to play on PC, which ARE NOT included on the price listed in the article.
wth are you talking about? I never talked about the article. Read again what I quoted.

Sakura

The price of the PC components haven't really gone up though. Is the 4000 series more expensive than previous series? Sure. But the price of the 4070 or 4080 haven't been increased after they came out.
So if you are comparing a 67k yen PS5 to a 87k yen GPU (4070 for example) you might decide to just get a PS5. But when the equation becomes 80k PS5 to 87k GPU, maybe some people decide to go down the PC route instead.
Remember a lot of people might already have PCs that just need some components upgraded and don't need a new case, SSD, etc.
A lot of people might also need PCs or laptops for work or school. In my university a laptop was a requirement. So maybe instead of spending 80k on a PS5 too, they just decide to spend an extra 80k on the PC/laptop they were already going to get to play games as well.

The idea is that PCs become more attractive by comparison.
People aren't arguing that it is cheaper to build a PS5 equivalent PC from scratch instead of buying a PS5.

Top Bottom