• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Reveal Reaction - Tech, Specs, Games, Price - A DF Direct Special

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

0:00:00 Overview
0:01:20 How is Sony marketing the PS5 Pro?
0:09:43 Big three features: larger GPU, machine learning and ray tracing enhancements
0:25:10 The missing disc drive
0:33:12 $700 USD sticker shock: does it make sense?
0:44:23 What do we want to see out of PS5 Pro?
0:49:43 Supporter Q1: Was Microsoft right to skip an enhanced console this generation?
0:54:06 Supporter Q2: Is GT7’s 8K mode as stupid as it sounds?
0:57:26 Supporter Q3: What PC GPU is the best match for PS5 Pro?
1:00:27 Supporter Q4: Will Sony encourage developers to stick to a single PS5 Pro mode, or have multiple?
1:02:58 Supporter Q5: Why doesn’t the PS5 Pro have a larger CPU upgrade?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's finally happened. PS5 Pro is real, announced and detailed by none other than lead system architect, Mark Cerny. John, Rich and Alex sit down to discuss the reveal, how Sony chose to market it, the Big Three tech innovations - larger GPU, ML upscaling and RT enhancements - and of course, the shocking price-point.

0:09:43 Big three features: larger GPU, machine learning and ray tracing enhancements
0:49:43 Supporter Q1: Was Microsoft right to skip an enhanced console this generation?
1:00:27 Supporter Q4: Will Sony encourage developers to stick to a single PS5 Pro mode, or have multiple?

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m looking forward to watching this tomorrow. I’m personally pretty disappointed in the price and lack of drive. Doesn’t seem worth it to me anymore.

adamsapple

Beaten to a DF thread by HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

breaking bad series GIF

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I’m looking forward to watching this tomorrow. I’m personally pretty disappointed in the price and lack of drive. Doesn’t seem worth it to me anymore.
I think in most regions - especially North America and Europe - a disc drive is going to be the exception, not the rule, with next gen.

saintjules

Gold Member

Take the Gold 🏆

Vick

Gold Member
Nice, was waiting for this.

Hopefully Alex is going to be more tolerable here, reinvigorated by today's Sony controversies.

Edit---

Eh.. he already stated PS5 Pro won't be able to turn every game Fidelity Mode into Performance. Which, if true, would suck and completely defy this thing's reason to exist were some games start to ship with 30fps modes only.

Kind of an interesting point of view later on by John, about PS4 Pro introducing Performance Modes to Consoles, and PS5 Pro aiming to kill them.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Totally agree with John. Sony did a huge mistake using their first party for PSSR demostration because their first party never got in trouble for graphical quality. No one complain about the visual of games like TLOUSpart2 because even on base PS4 their graphics are the top around.

They should used those third party UE5 games that had horrible visual quality and lower resolution.

Last edited:
Watching this made me think about about Mark Cerny's video again.

I love the guy and this isn't his fault...but Sony really priced a console at 800€ without the disc unit and the stand...and used PS4 games to show how the PS5 Pro is better. And tried to sell us that same console in 7 minutes with barely anything to show for it and that was it.

I feel like Sony forgot how first impressions matter. They REALLY need to go back to do live shows like they used to do. I really think the hype machine starts rolling much better that way, both for games and hardware. Specially for new IP games, dropping a random video on youtube and writing a blog post isn't the best way to drive interest in a game. It's about the multiple showcases where they show up, it's about creating hype and interest around them, sometimes even viral moments among the comunity like the choir they used to reveal GOW (2018) and stuff like that. They used to be masters at that and now i just don't see it.

But to use that strategy on a 800€ machine? I mean...seriously...someone in there thought people would like this? And i know, it's mostly for an enthusiastic crowd, their hardcore fans...

I WANT to be interested in this...but i have yet to see why i should be. And showing me TLOU2 zoomed in a 2x isn't going to make "anyone" spend money on said product.

Even worse...shouldn't your most premium device actually be released in a complete form? That disc had no business to be missing.

I'm standing next to my launch PS5 unit with a disc unit, the stand that everyone made fun of but at least you can use it for the console to be both vertical and horizontal that costed me 500€. And i watched a 7 minute video (the first 2 or 3 were about the slim PS5 let's face it) and i WANTED to have reasons to buy it...but i found none.

They really needed something to show and they had nothing.

They kinda killed the little hype there was for this console, imo.

I went from "pre-ordering for sure" to "let's wait and see..." and judging from most gamers online, everyone is kinda mindblown by this price. And that's the public they were supposed to want to buy this.

adamsapple

I went from "pre-ordering for sure" to "let's wait and see..." and judging from most gamers online, everyone is kinda mindblown by this price. And that's the public they were supposed to want to buy this.

I was convinced it would be $599 AT MOST. Giving it a $100 wiggle room over the OG PS5 launch price, thinking they might follow the same pattern as the PS4 to PS4 Pro in terms of launch prices.

But they just went completely overboard. And this is not even including the lack of a drive or stand.

Topher

Gold Member

I love the guy and this isn't his fault...but Sony really priced a console at 800€ without the disc unit and the stand...and used PS4 games to show how the PS5 Pro is better. And tried to sell us that same console in 7 minutes with barely anything to show for it and that was it.

I feel like Sony forgot how first impressions matter. They REALLY need to go back to do live shows like they used to do. I really think the hype machine starts rolling much better that way, both for games and hardware. Specially for new IP games, dropping a random video on youtube and writing a blog post isn't the best way to drive interest in a game. It's about the multiple showcases where they show up, it's about creating hype and interest around them, sometimes even viral moments among the comunity like the choir they used to reveal GOW (2018) and stuff like that. They used to be masters at that and now i just don't see it.

But to use that strategy on a 800€ machine? I mean...seriously...someone in there thought people would like this? And i know, it's mostly for an enthusiastic crowd, their hardcore fans...

I WANT to be interested in this...but i have yet to see why i should be. And showing me TLOU2 zoomed in a 2x isn't going to make "anyone" spend money on said product.

Even worse...shouldn't your most premium device actually be released in a complete form? That disc had no business to be missing.

I'm standing next to my launch PS5 unit with a disc unit, the stand that everyone made fun of but at least you can use it for the console to be both vertical and horizontal that costed me 500€. And i watched a 7 minute video (the first 2 or 3 were about the slim PS5 let's face it) and i WANTED to have reasons to buy it...but i found none.

Well said sir

jm89

I blame guys like totoki. Bean counter wants every penny. Even though SIE have new CEOs you best believe that guy is hovering over them.

Last edited:

peish

No wonder I noticed Mark looked strangely defeated in the short video. It was also too short and disinterested

He knows $699 and using ps4/launch ps5 games will kill ps5pro. Sony will blame him and stop funding mid-gen pro consoles.

The public reception to ps5 pro has been poor and i dont see it recovering.

$699 is not much in today's alternatives, but the masses see consoles are low priced thing, Sony should at least include a stand and 12 month PSN

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
In the video, John is absolutely correct. Showing me first party stuff doesn't impress me. First party games have always looked fantastic. Show me the UE5 stuff that suffers so much on PS5.

Not going to blindly hand over $700 if we only get marginal improvements on the games that need it the most.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
$700? Pc gaming gets out of control it’s documented they spend thousands on rigs. Pc gaming allowed this price hike, now common console gamers are told to upgrade or your current console sucks.

adamsapple

In the video, John is absolutely correct. Showing me first party stuff doesn't impress me. First party games have always looked fantastic. Show me the UE5 stuff that suffers so much on PS5.

It's not just that, the first party stuff they showed was so bizarre.

Zooming in 200% into the crowd on the side in Ratchet to show higher fidelity, or extreme distant NPC's in Spider Man 2.

No one's looking at those things when actually playing a game.

Fake

Gold Member

Not going to blindly hand over $700 if we only get marginal improvements on the games that need it the most.

I really don't understand Sony. They have being very stupid.

They could use, IDK, fucking Final Fantasy. That game have a lot of problems with image quality and use Unreal Engine.

Kacho

Gold Member

Zooming in 200% into the crowd on the side in Ratchet to show higher fidelity, or extreme distant NPC's in Spider Man 2.

Yeah it was bizarre. Sony sees the reaction online so I have to imagine they’ll put something more substantial together before preorders go live.

Loxus

No wonder I noticed Mark looked strangely defeated in the short video. It was also too short and disinterested
Mark Cerny PS4 Pro tech presentation wasn't long either.

Also, he's 60 and just looking like his age.
PS6 and maybe PS6 Pro may likely be his last console.

Flabagast

Great post, 100% on point

To be honest, even if they had revealed a big new first party game, all the discussions would still have revolved around the price but yeah i agree the presentation clearly didn't do a good job of selling the PRO in a satisfactory manner.

Logically in terms of strategy with the announcement of the price of the PRO which is the "bad news", I would not be surprised if the State of Play scheduled for the end of the month is entitled to a big announcement of a first party game to relaunch on a positive basis this would make sense in terms of communication.

I could be totally wrong but I find it hard to believe that Sony did not expect such negative feedback on the price of the PRO and will want to reverse the trend with a good announcement and there would be nothing better as the reveal of a big first party game running on PRO.

Otherwise I agree at this price especially in Europe, the disk drive should have been integrated even if it meant having a smaller hard disk but we know why they made this choice because they do not sell hard disks but disk drives yes.

800€ is already a very high price for a console but 920€ for a PRO with a disk drive, it's just too much. This would have been easier to accept with the disk drive included.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned

Tell that digital foundry enabler of this stuff

Vick

Gold Member
Get a 2nd job.
excuse me what GIF

I am referring to Sony doing classy, hyped E3 conferences like they used to.

If for some reason you thought I was hoping for a cheaper Console, you should know the person you quoted recently purchased this:

Which may retail for $18,000 excluding shipping in the US, but actually costed me 26.000€ because here in Europe we don't pay more for Consoles only unfortunately.

Edit:

1*zdVuBNsYXzJaGVTFV1x9dg.gif

My bad Kutaragi-san. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

And no one was complaining about those games in the first place. That was the safest, least compelling tech demonstration I've ever seen.

Folks that were pointing to it being nine minutes were right.

adamsapple

And no one was complaining about those games in the first place. That was the safest, least compelling tech demonstration I've ever seen.

Folks that were pointing to it being nine minutes were right.

Yeah, it would have been nice if they spent a minute or so using a modern game example that taxes the hardware.

Rebirth was just shown as a 10 second montage, show a little bit of 4K/60 game play, or use a game like Alan Wake 2 that struggles in its Quality mode on consoles and doesn't do RT, show it running PC equivalent RT.

They didn't even show Ragnarok IIRC, which is the next newest first party game after Spider Man (not counting TLoU 2 remaster)

Fake

Gold Member
Yeah it was bizarre. Sony sees the reaction online so I have to imagine they’ll put something more substantial together before preorders go live.

Sony put the wrong guy in charge of the 'reaction online'.

Look at Morbius movie. They had 'look at the reaction online' and the movie flopped 2 times. Now, we have a 'digital edition' of the PS5pro while base PS5 beat PS5DE by 8x2.

Last edited:

A great post and a perfect summation on how I feel about.

We tend to say "Well, GAF is just a bubble" or so the saying goes for various gaming forums or hubs.

Thing is? Everywhere I look--Twitter, Reddit, gaming forums, Discord, Facebook, Tiktok, even at the local GameStop, you name it, there is very, very little enthusiasm or excitement about this console now.

It's just not there. The lack of a drive and stand and that flabbergasting price(that wasn't adequately sold at all) just killed it, or so it seems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Totally agree with you but we have the rumored State of Play maybe as early as next week then TGS where Kojima will have a DS2 show so we should have stuff to look forward to.

I really feel they put this video out to confirm it and let sticker shock wear off some.

Even If they showed us some bangers I think the conversation is still about the price.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Hogwarts Legacy already runs at 60fps on a regular PS5 though.

Hopefully just an instance of proper footage not being ready.. I mean, would be borderline retarded for Cerny to finally, openly mock 30fps and then promote 30fps modes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom