• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Reveal Reaction - Tech, Specs, Games, Price - A DF Direct Special

Vick

Gold Member
Does it only have 1 mode? We don't know that yet. Could be but we will have to wait for the release for that.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

A game that has two modes on PS5, with a Performance one that's proper solid 60fps, is going to ship with a single, 30fps Mode on PS5 Pro?

Maybe Sony is just trying to speedrun Destroy Your Brand Any%. I really have no clue what Sony is thinking making this announcement on the heels of the Concord disaster. It is just adding insult to injury. Are they really this oblivious about reading the temperature in the room? Perhaps they just don't care. I was looking forward to what they had to show, but now I have no interest on it. That price point is ridiculous, and seeing that I would need the drive and want the stand, it would probably shoot upwards to the $800 territory. "Pro" console without the drive and the stand... they've got to be joking. All the games shown were very unremarkable. I played Last of Us Part 2 back when it came out on my PS4 Pro. I mean, who cares about the details on the 4x zoom that now look more clear! I sure as heck didn't care a few years back when I was playing the game, I wasn't like "Man, I really wish the text on the background that is far away and that I don't care about would be less fuzzy...". Show something new and exciting with your new console. Seriously, what where they thinking!?

peish

Mark Cerny PS4 Pro tech presentation wasn't long either.

Also, he's 60 and just looking like his age.
PS6 and maybe PS6 Pro may likely be his last console.

much longer and more excitedly presented. I still remembered how mark showed the butterfly wings effect of ps4 pro gpu.

Yet ps5 pro video looked so dead, and mark had to invitie one cnet guy as the mouth of cerny, one!
their demo suite looks dead as well

Last edited:

ManaByte

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

A game that has two modes on PS5, with a Performance one that's proper solid 60fps, is going to ship with a single, 30fps Mode on PS5 Pro?

It has more than two modes. There's a balanced VRR mode, but none are solid 60fps. There are areas of Hogwarts that can crated the framerate.

Bojji

Wow, John said the Hogwarts footage they showed was 30fps…

taking-headphones-off-e99413aa1658f402c0cc46f677f05751-meme.jpeg

Yeah Hogwarts Legacy at 30 fps is super worring...

Hogwarts Legacy already runs at 60fps on a regular PS5 though.

Hopefully just an instance of proper footage not being ready.. I mean, would be borderline retarded for Cerny to finally, openly mock 30fps and then promote 30fps modes.

RT in this game is super CPU heavy, it crushes CPUs so no wonder with RT this game has to be 30 fps:

And many people argued with me that "zen 2 is fine", it's not. It will limit a lot of games with RT.

For the massive amount of money they are asking for they should use at least fucking 2022 cpu in there (7700?).

This console will suck in many games.

Loxus

much longer and more excitedly presented. I still remembered how mark showed the butterfly wings effect of ps4 pro gpu.

Yet ps5 pro video looked so dead, and mark had to invitie one cnet guy as the mouth of cerny, one!
their demo suite looks dead as well
You sure?

Vs. PS5 Pro

Or did you mean this one? What exactly is more exciting about this vs. what we got today?

Vick

Gold Member
Yeah, they chose very well optimized games, not ones that struggle like Jedi Survivor or Wukong.
I saw FF7 Rebirth and Alan Wake 2, both sucked in Performance Mode.

Jedi Survivor also, at the start of the video. Would be very weird to have it there and not be noticeably improved as a game.

It has more than two modes. There's a balanced VRR mode, but none are solid 60fps. There are areas of Hogwarts that can crated the framerate.
Not my experience at all in hundreds of hours regular Performance Mode. This ain't a fluctuating game on PS5, it's proper 60fps all the time.

According to DF it's the Xbox version that sucks:

RT in this game is super CPU heavy, it crushes CPUs so no wonder with RT this game has to be 30 fps:

And many people argued with me that "zen 2 is fine", it's not. It will limit a lot of games with RT.

For the massive amount of money they are asking for they should use at least fucking 2022 cpu in there (7700?).

This console will suck in many games.

I'm only interested in PS5 Pro for 60fps at high resolution, and I hope it's going to achieve this otherwise I won't even bother.

It's obvious proper RT @ 60fps is for next-gen, or highest end PCs.

Last edited:

ManaByte

This ain't a fluctuating game on PS5, it's proper 60fps all the time.

I finished it on PS5. It's not 60fps all the time. It's much better than the XSX version, but there are still areas of Hogwarts that causes it to drop below 30.

Vick

Gold Member
I finished it on PS5. It's not 60fps all the time. It's much better than the XSX version, but there are still areas of Hogwarts that causes it to drop below 30.
Wth? Such as?
Never stumbled upon such a thing, or completely removed them from my brain.
I remember full 60fps during insane batshit battles filled with particles, as well as max upgraded broom traversals.

recursive

excuse me what GIF

I am referring to Sony doing classy, hyped E3 conferences like they used to.

If for some reason you thought I was hoping for a cheaper Console, you should know the person you quoted recently purchased this:

Which may retail for $18,000 excluding shipping in the US, but actually costed me 26.000€ because here in Europe we don't pay more for Consoles only unfortunately.
Woooooooosh

ManaByte

No man, I'm sorry for Kacho Kacho Kacho Kacho who you apparently got all excited but you'll have to provide some evidence here because everywhere I look I see reports of it being solid 60fps.

I'm not talking about "reports". I played through and finished the game and will eventually platinum it (the annoying part of that is you have to play the first portion of the game with all four houses).

I was convinced it would be $599 AT MOST. Giving it a $100 wiggle room over the OG PS5 launch price, thinking they might follow the same pattern as the PS4 to PS4 Pro in terms of launch prices.

But they just went completely overboard. And this is not even including the lack of a drive or stand.

Exactly it's f'ing obscene especially the fact they only showed up with 15 frickin guaranteed games that will be improved on the Pro lol! No Cyberpunk 2077? THE poster child for PC gaming and RT and a game that EVERYONE interested in the Pro would've wanted tp see upgraded. Or how about the recent SW Outlaws or even better Black Myth and Space Marine 2, which are stunning but struggle big time on PS5 ...

That they thought they could give us so little today, with no guarantees that PS5 games will get patches for an $800 console (no disc drive at $700) is fuxking insane and really sad.

It's not even the price that's the issue for me, it's what it offers for that price that i have such a problem with.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I'm not talking about "reports". I played through and finished the game and will eventually platinum it (the annoying part of that is you have to play the first portion of the game with all four houses).
And I did as well, and sure as fuck don't remember framerate going under 60fps, let alone under 30 as you reported. I looked for some report to verify this, and all I can read online is how Performance Mode on PS5 holds 60fps.

KyKvqrG.png

pnk7sz9.png

That being said, not sure what the actual hell this has to do with the Thread in the first place.
There's a 60fps Mode on PS5, and according to virtually everyone it's already solid 60fps. It's obviously not going to run at 30fps on Pro, as some I'm sure genuinely worried users like Kacho Kacho were suggesting.

Last edited:

papoluca12

Neo Member
Exactly it's f'ing obscene especially the fact they only showed up with 15 frickin guaranteed games that will be improved on the Pro lol! No Cyberpunk 2077? THE poster child for PC gaming and RT and a game that EVERYONE interested in the Pro would've wanted tp see upgraded. Or how about the recent SW Outlaws or even better Black Myth and Space Marine 2, which are stunning but struggle big time on PS5 ...

That they thought they could give us so little today, with no guarantees that PS5 games will get patches for an $800 console (no disc drive at $700) is fuxking insane and really sad.

It's not even the price that's the issue for me, it's what it offers for that price that i have such a problem with.
They literally said it would launch with 40-50 Pro enhanced games in Nov in the CNET video. You think they would reveal all those games in one 9 min presentation? It will be build up over time until November.

Vick

Gold Member
They literally said it would launch with 40-50 Pro enhanced games in Nov in the CNET video. You think they would reveal all those games in one 9 min presentation? It will be build up over time until November.
Would have been smart however to showcase actually faulty looking titles like Jedi Survivor or Wukong being transformed by PSSR.

Going with their first party when they already feature competent Performance Modes just made for an odd presentation.

Edit---

Actually, DF addresses this and succeeded in making feel a complete moron.

You as Sony can't showcase the work of other developers looking like crap.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Holy shit 50% of their audience watches on mobile... no wonder you get people saying they cant see the difference... if you watch the presentation 4K video you can clearly see the difference and im sure once DF gets their hands on the system will make it even more clear.

Exactly. Double performance from 30 to 60 fps and dramatically higher image quality than PS5 fidelity mode, all evident from a shit youtube capture (grass, fence, NPC face/detail, armored vehicle, symbiote decal, stone walkway...) What's not to like here?

j78z9KG.jpeg

Flabagast

You will barely see any improvement in 3rd party games, the devs won’t bother. Buying the console now is foolish

Exactly. Double performance from 30 to 60 fps and dramatically higher image quality than PS5 fidelity mode, all evident from a shit youtube capture (grass, fence, NPC face/detail, armored vehicle, symbiote decal, stone walkway...) What's not to like here?

j78z9KG.jpeg
Damn those faces are pretty damn obvious from the get go. PSSR doing its thing... Honestly speaking the only thing not to like here is the price, because I do think Sony are delivering quite a great upgrade here in theory.

Fess

Watching this made me think about about Mark Cerny's video again.

I love the guy and this isn't his fault...but Sony really priced a console at 800€ without the disc unit and the stand...and used PS4 games to show how the PS5 Pro is better. And tried to sell us that same console in 7 minutes with barely anything to show for it and that was it.

I feel like Sony forgot how first impressions matter. They REALLY need to go back to do live shows like they used to do. I really think the hype machine starts rolling much better that way, both for games and hardware. Specially for new IP games, dropping a random video on youtube and writing a blog post isn't the best way to drive interest in a game. It's about the multiple showcases where they show up, it's about creating hype and interest around them, sometimes even viral moments among the comunity like the choir they used to reveal GOW (2018) and stuff like that. They used to be masters at that and now i just don't see it.

But to use that strategy on a 800€ machine? I mean...seriously...someone in there thought people would like this? And i know, it's mostly for an enthusiastic crowd, their hardcore fans...

I WANT to be interested in this...but i have yet to see why i should be. And showing me TLOU2 zoomed in a 2x isn't going to make "anyone" spend money on said product.

Even worse...shouldn't your most premium device actually be released in a complete form? That disc had no business to be missing.

I'm standing next to my launch PS5 unit with a disc unit, the stand that everyone made fun of but at least you can use it for the console to be both vertical and horizontal that costed me 500€. And i watched a 7 minute video (the first 2 or 3 were about the slim PS5 let's face it) and i WANTED to have reasons to buy it...but i found none.

They really needed something to show and they had nothing.

They kinda killed the little hype there was for this console, imo.

I went from "pre-ordering for sure" to "let's wait and see..." and judging from most gamers online, everyone is kinda mindblown by this price. And that's the public they were supposed to want to buy this.
The sad reality is that even you as a fan with this type of reaction won’t change anything. Other fans will defend the price, already does, scalpers will make FOMO kick in, online discourse will make the price point a constant talking point but it’ll still sell out, and this thing is going to place the baseline for highend console gaming at $700/€800 now.

I’m just annoyed that I’ll now have three shitty strategies for Sony’s exclusives.
1. Play the worst possible version on my coil whine PS5. Possibly at 30fps if devs starts targeting Pro instead.
2. Pay €800 to play a handful of timed exclusives.
3. Wait for 2-4 years and play on PC.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I just started watching this and John's point that it seems like Sony is trying to collapse the graphics mode with this thing is good, and I hope it's true. Because I hate graphics mode. Loading up Astro Bot and not having to pick between performance or fidelity reminded me of why I like consoles. This stuff just needs to go.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Watching this made me think about about Mark Cerny's video again.

I love the guy and this isn't his fault...but Sony really priced a console at 800€ without the disc unit and the stand...and used PS4 games to show how the PS5 Pro is better. And tried to sell us that same console in 7 minutes with barely anything to show for it and that was it.

I feel like Sony forgot how first impressions matter. They REALLY need to go back to do live shows like they used to do. I really think the hype machine starts rolling much better that way, both for games and hardware. Specially for new IP games, dropping a random video on youtube and writing a blog post isn't the best way to drive interest in a game. It's about the multiple showcases where they show up, it's about creating hype and interest around them, sometimes even viral moments among the comunity like the choir they used to reveal GOW (2018) and stuff like that. They used to be masters at that and now i just don't see it.

But to use that strategy on a 800€ machine? I mean...seriously...someone in there thought people would like this? And i know, it's mostly for an enthusiastic crowd, their hardcore fans...

I WANT to be interested in this...but i have yet to see why i should be. And showing me TLOU2 zoomed in a 2x isn't going to make "anyone" spend money on said product.

Even worse...shouldn't your most premium device actually be released in a complete form? That disc had no business to be missing.

I'm standing next to my launch PS5 unit with a disc unit, the stand that everyone made fun of but at least you can use it for the console to be both vertical and horizontal that costed me 500€. And i watched a 7 minute video (the first 2 or 3 were about the slim PS5 let's face it) and i WANTED to have reasons to buy it...but i found none.

They really needed something to show and they had nothing.

They kinda killed the little hype there was for this console, imo.

I went from "pre-ordering for sure" to "let's wait and see..." and judging from most gamers online, everyone is kinda mindblown by this price. And that's the public they were supposed to want to buy this.
Good recap of the situation.

StueyDuck

doing the math, currently, the dollar to the rand is about 18, so 500 us is like ~R9000 (should be the retail price purely by conversion), if you buy a new PS5 here today (with disc) you are looking at about ~R15000 (which is no small expense).

That means this this is going to launch at like ~R24000... without a disc drive or any games or even a stand apparently, Which is a ludicrous price for a console.

I bought the switch on launch day for ~R7000 and that came with zelda and a carry case.

Sure our economy is hot shit and our government doesn't know what it's doing and is taxing things to high hell, but either way not many people here will be buying that pro at those costs.

Holy shit i see now i preordered the ps4 pro for R7000... We are getting fucked here in SA :messenger_tears_of_joy:
uJC6DpK.png

Last edited:
They are so bitter and already find all ways to shit on the 7mn shown. Dictator was already bitter on the purple forum.

The examples shown were perfect actually. It was meant for the CNET guy who actually noticed a big difference on the PS5 Pro versions and made a very positive report.
But that cnet guy got so much wrong he just wasn't a good messenger if I'm being honest and DF knew what questions to ask if it was their presentation

PeteBull

Gold Member
Yeah Hogwarts Legacy at 30 fps is super worring...
Thats the problem with the ps5pr0, its not the price, its not its bit ocerclocked zen2 cpu, its not lack of discdrive, its not lack of new AAA exclusives showing of the power of the pr0, its all those things combined together that show pretty terrible value proposition, at least here in europe its looking pretty bad =/

Orbital2060

Maybe Sony is just trying to speedrun Destroy Your Brand Any%. I really have no clue what Sony is thinking making this announcement on the heels of the Concord disaster. It is just adding insult to injury. Are they really this oblivious about reading the temperature in the room? Perhaps they just don't care. I was looking forward to what they had to show, but now I have no interest on it. That price point is ridiculous, and seeing that I would need the drive and want the stand, it would probably shoot upwards to the $800 territory. "Pro" console without the drive and the stand... they've got to be joking. All the games shown were very unremarkable. I played Last of Us Part 2 back when it came out on my PS4 Pro. I mean, who cares about the details on the 4x zoom that now look more clear! I sure as heck didn't care a few years back when I was playing the game, I wasn't like "Man, I really wish the text on the background that is far away and that I don't care about would be less fuzzy...". Show something new and exciting with your new console. Seriously, what where they thinking!?
Plans made at a point when it looked like a good idea to have Concord, Astro Bot, and then launch the Pro right after that. Best laid plans, but reality threw a wrench in the wheels and Concord failure overshadows everything else, compunded by questions surrounding their GAAS push. Pricing is less important imo, but it matters next to having no or few games to take advantage of the new-bought hardware.

I mean, you can have the best laid plans, and still go to hell.

nowhat

I really don't understand Sony. They have being very stupid.

They could use, IDK, fucking Final Fantasy. That game have a lot of problems with image quality and use Unreal Engine.
The thing is (and not trying to be a Sony apologist here - for me, PS5 Pro will remain in the shelf until there's a reasonable price drop in the EU, at 800€ without a disc drive and a vertical stand they can fuck right off), that's a Square Enix game. They may provide a Pro patch. They may not. Which makes the value proposition of the Pro even worse.

It was just an announcement, this thing doesn't really exist until they open pre-orders in 2 weeks

Let's see what they do during these two weeks

Yeah, but I'm not sure how much this thing is going to take off. It's a tall ask in this economy; sure, more affluent folks may be more apt to buy it, but I see many enthusiasts wanting to see more.

People are just sitting and wondering how you're going to charge $700 with no drive, no stand and essentially say "Look how nice your PS4 games will be!"

"Oh, fancy a PS5 game improvement? Here's a smattering of games 90% of people already played and arguably run very, very well already on the base system."

It was very poorly marketed so far. Someone made a comment that it felt like they "rushed through and then threw that price in there like a flahsbang in a room"

They are constantly saying pisser (instead of PSSR) in the video, even John is. How disrespectful. Do they know this is probably Cerny's baby? And they wonder why Cerny didn't invite them?

Last edited:
Top Bottom