• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: been getting these new scam emails that somehow have been getting through my spam filters. Be aware

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Over the past few weeks I've gotten 3 emails from "support@______.com" and it's actually clever and someone with scant knowledge of scams and emails could've easily fallen for it. It was designed to look like a DHL email, very authentic looking, and it says that your package was "undeliverable" and you need to pay a $1.99 fee to have it delivered. It has a link to where you go and put your CC # in to pay the fee to "get your package."

No idea how it got past the spam filters, they're usually really good, but anyway if you get an email like this, just delete it. Someone who orders a lot of packages and is unawares of scams might fall for this.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yes, the normal SPAM filtering mechanisms aren't as reliable lately as they used to be, attackers have found workarounds. I've also received a few emails in my Gmail account that have definitely %100 been phishing/attack/malware links. Be careful everyone.

Also, and this is CRITICAL, if you receive a TEXT message with any kind of link in it, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK NO MATTER WHAT. Many serious vulnerabilities exist on both iPhone and Android OS's that can give attackers root-level access to your phone (and thus your contacts, personally identifiable information (PII), credit card numbers, everything) without your knowledge.

Mikey Jr.

Yes, the normal SPAM filtering mechanisms aren't as reliable lately as they used to be, attackers have found workarounds. I've also received a few emails in my Gmail account that have definitely %100 been phishing/attack/malware links. Be careful everyone.

Also, and this is CRITICAL, if you receive a TEXT message with any kind of link in it, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK NO MATTER WHAT. Many serious vulnerabilities exist on both iPhone and Android OS's that can give attackers root-level access to your phone (and thus your contacts, personally identifiable information (PII), credit card numbers, everything) without your knowledge.

Any apps that I can install for android that can check if my phone is ok?

I've gotten a bunch of these texts but I am not 100% certain I have never clicked one of the links in them.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

Any apps that I can install for android that can check if my phone is ok?

I've gotten a bunch of these texts but I am not 100% certain I have never clicked one of the links in them.
There’s malware/antivirus apps on the Android store that you can use to check for *known* vulnerabilities. I’d start with the well know names (McAfee, Avast), and go from there. Unfortunately I don’t have Android myself so I can’t offer personal recommendations but those are good starting points.

If your phone is acting strangely after those come up with negative scans, you can always backup your important info and do a factory reset. Just be sure there’s nothing valuable you’ll lose permanently as a result.

Algan

Scammers are refining their techniques every day.

scam-281161.gif

There’s malware/antivirus apps on the Android store that you can use to check for *known* vulnerabilities. I’d start with the well know names (McAfee, Avast), and go from there. Unfortunately I don’t have Android myself so I can’t offer personal recommendations but those are good starting points.

If your phone is acting strangely after those come up with negative scans, you can always backup your important info and do a factory reset. Just be sure there’s nothing valuable you’ll lose permanently as a result.
Use kapersky anti virus scanner. Its very reliable and can pick up malware that other services can't.

Durask

Android sure but iOs - I disagree, there aren't "many serious vulnerabilities" in iOs.

Golgo 13

Android sure but iOs - I disagree, there aren't "many serious vulnerabilities" in iOs.
Oh really?

Biff

Just got one in my gmail. The header of the email was a fairly realistic looking Costco advertisement but the sender address and the "GIVEAWAY!" hook of the email made it super obvious.

I just don't understand why these guys don't find some former marketing professional in North America and cut them in on the scam to help compose a 9.5/10 convincing phish. Throw em a couple grand per phish email commission. Their hit rate would likely be 10x higher vs. the braindead trash they send today that only gets clicks from senior citizens.

But if they were smart they'd probably be doing more lucrative crime so I guess I just answered my own question.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
A big giveaway is "Dear user," or "Sir or madam" or "Dear %emailaddress%" they try to not include those most of the time and just say hello or something like that. If you hover over the link, it will show what it leads to, and if it look suspicious, don't click on it. For example, Free GAF Gold Generator <- awesome!

Top Bottom