• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: For game streaming/remote play, Sunshine/Moonlight is incredible

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
(Sunshine/Moonlight is a PC game streaming solution)

I've been playing around with various methods of game streaming/remote play for many years at this point. From trying to use the PS Vita to remote play my PS3 games, to Xbox Game Streaming, to Steam Link, to xCloud, to Playstation Plus streaming... all solutions managed to be a let-down in one way or another. Whether it be latency, lack of stability, poor image quality, limited game library, lack of proper controls, etc.. etc.. there was also something holding these solutions back from being something I can use daily.

Sunshine/Moonlight has changed that.

Image quality is truly near-native, latency is as low as I've ever experienced with a streaming experience, and the customization options are endless. You can control bitrate, encoder, HDR, resolution, framerate, input method, etc.. etc.. And because you're streaming from your PC, you have full access to virtually anything. Playing Switch games at 4k/60 streaming from my PC over to my iPad Mini 6/Kishi Ultra combo is a bit of an incredibly pleasant mindfuck.

And when I say the image is near-native, I mean it.

Here's Red Dead Redemption at 4k/60 native on my PC:
53917042653_026aec9ce4_o.png

53917143939_06c5ed0deb_o.png

Here's Red Dead Redemption at 4k/60, downsampled to my iPad Mini 6's resolution, screenshotted from the Moonlight app on the iPad:
53916792711_f4a5f98708_o.png

53917237630_5c7c10feee_o.png

Also want to note that I do have a very "high end" streaming setup, as not everyone is going to have an iPad Mini 6 and a Razer Kishi Ultra to play with:

razer_kishi_ultra_review_1.jpg

But even with a large phone and a controller clip, or a G Cloud, or a Backbone controller, or whatever, Sunshine/Moonlight is the way to go. Makes owning a Steam Deck redundant to me, as this is a far preferable way to play IMO.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve been meaning to set up sunshine/moonlight again, especially since these XR glasses I have started natively supporting it. It’s always been a great way to stream from PC. Maybe I’ll finally set it up again today.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I do the same for PS game streaming : 12.4 inch tablet + Dualsense controller via ps remote play app or PsPlay one which lets you configure streaming quality/ bitrate amongst other things.

Moonlight sounds cool but I don't Game on PC, I have an RTX 3050Ti laptop but I haven't bought a single game on it ( dont even know how it will be able to run games) so I also started grabbing all my indies on the ps5

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I do the same for PS game streaming : 12.4 inch tablet + Dualsense controller via ps remote play app or PsPlay one which lets you configure streaming quality/ bitrate amongst other things.

Moonlight sounds cool but I don't Game on PC, I have an RTX 3050Ti laptop but I haven't bought a single game on it ( dont even know how it will be able to run games) so I also started grabbing all my indies on the ps5

With your tablet/DualSense combo, do you just keep the tablet on a desk/table or something while you play?

JimboJones

Been using it with my steamdeck, better than steams implementation, have my PC set up to wake on lan. It's pretty handy though I prefer playing on local hardware most of the time it's still useful to have.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah it's neat. Used it to play some games on a hacked Switch before I got my hands on a Deck.

Pretty nice IQ and couldn't notice any kind of input lag, the experience was great overall.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
With your tablet/DualSense combo, do you just keep the tablet on a desk/table or something while you play?

I sit on my couch with my legs extended on my ottoman with the tablet resting on my legs.
It's the only comfortable position without having the dualsense blocking my view 😁

It's kind of a ball ache though since you can't sit comfortably in any other position without getting a neck strain or seeing jack and shit on the screen due to your hands/joypad combo.

This is why the PS portal is actually a good idea since you can hold it whichever way you like , shame about the god damn 59.94Hz stutter then which brings the whole experience down...Fucking Sony man,this handheld had one thing to do only and yet, it falls short due to the typical Sony short sightedness...
Cheers

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’ve been meaning to set up sunshine/moonlight again, especially since these XR glasses I have started natively supporting it. It’s always been a great way to stream from PC. Maybe I’ll finally set it up again today.
What glasses and how is the motion stabilization??

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What glasses and how is the motion stabilization??
I’m using the Viture One XR glasses. They’re not VR, though. More like just a screen for your eyes. They’re really nice.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ive mainly used it on my phone or a Firetv connected to a 1080p TV, but I started using it recently on my laptop to play on my main computer. It's kinda surreal.

Top Bottom