• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

larvi

aristotle said:
Why because I don't base my opinions on internet forums or assumptions? The people who are doing that are acting like Sony is at fault.Maybe I'm just one of the few being reasonable and waiting for all the facts to come in until I start asking for heads to roll. :shrug

There is no question thay they are at fault. They are collecting personal data so the burden falls on them to secure it properly. What is still unknown is whether there was negligence on their end (i.e. storing pw data in clear text) or did they have things secured as well as could be reasonably expected and the hackers were still able to obtain access.

Marleyman

Banned
dude said:
I don't see the big deal with this.
I mean, changing CC info is so easy, it's a phone call away.
And you should probably change your passwords anyway! Security 101, people.
If you're afraid about your personal information, just change your name, it's just signing a paper, then move! I mean, who doesn't want a change in his life? You could move to Hawaii!

You guys should THANK Sony for helping you to secure your online accounts better and refreshing your dull life.

Sarcasm?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Hari Seldon said:
You jest but Sony is going to get sued and sued hard. In the TJ Maxx case 500,000 people had their CC info stolen. TJ Maxx was required to pay for 3 years of credit monitoring plus identity theft services and had to pay $20,000 if the person could demonstrate actual identity theft. In other words, if these hackers do a little identity theft that could land you 20k from Sony if they get sued at least as hard as TJ Maxx.

Also, TJ Maxx was sued by various banks for undisclosed amounts for the cost of re-issuing credit cards to everyone. This is going to be a major financial blow to Sony.
while you are correct in all of this, you seem to overlook that TJX is currently trading at a 10 year high, stores are growing, etc.

Of course this will impact sony financially, but they will be fine. very fine.

borghe said:
actually this isn't true. It wasn't until Games for Windows Live launched in 2007 that the two were actually connected.

When I signed up with XBL back in the last generation I had to have a hotmail account to finish my registration.

DaBuddaDa

snap0212 said:
The fact that data was stolen is bad, but the fact that Sony waited almost a week before telling us anything is just horrible.
You're making the assumption that Sony immediately knew that personal data had been compromised. Perhaps it took them a few days of research before they could conclusively determine whether or not that was the case.

borghe said:
while you are correct in all of this, you seem to overlook that TJX is currently trading at a 10 year high, stores are growing, etc.

Of course this will impact sony financially, but they will be fine. very fine.

Depends on how long the outage continues and if they get hacked again. THis is affecting their whole infrastructure. TJ Maxx still had business as usual.

MalboroRed said:
No you didn't, but you're basically acting as the annoying bystander, like people are complaining about gas prices and you're bragging about driving an electric car and being a vegan.

Im a bystander that does play on PSN. So its ok for people to attack XBL with false information but if i throw a little salt in their vigina with the truth its wrong?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
borghe said:
I will say one thing about this thread.......... I've been more or less calling for a stop on the drama for credit card security etc... but... this thread has made me wonder why I don't use points cards more... hmm...

and for those who find points cards inconvenient (having to go to the store and all), you CAN load up your accounts (XBL or PSN) with points/funds online and then remove your card (on PSN at least).

eh, maybe this will be the end of me storing my card on these systems... probably not... but if I was vigilant enough I could probably make it work with little to no hassle to me.

does it make a difference if you use your credit card one time Vs storing them on the service? Does the site properly destroy the card numbers for the former, or are they in their records and vulnerable to attack anyway?

i started looking at lastpass for my e-commerce sites but for forums etc I probably won't bother

Hari Seldon said:
You jest but Sony is going to get sued and sued hard. In the TJ Maxx case 500,000 people had their CC info stolen. TJ Maxx was required to pay for 3 years of credit monitoring plus identity theft services and had to pay $20,000 if the person could demonstrate actual identity theft. In other words, if these hackers do a little identity theft that could land you 20k from Sony if they get sued at least as hard as TJ Maxx.

Also, TJ Maxx was sued by various banks for undisclosed amounts for the cost of re-issuing credit cards to everyone. This is going to be a major financial blow to Sony.

Quite a few ppl since this Sony fail might have a case judging from what they've written. We'll have to wait and see how this all turns out.

bryehn

Well had to have my CC replaced, so I'm without one for a week. Conveniently on the week that the wife and I planned to book our hotel and train for vacation in July. And thanks to a dumb Visa rep who told my wife our current cards would remain active for 15 days I was declined at the grocery store.

Worst part is I can't buy my XBLA points from my couch this morning. I guess Sony won this round :p

Banned
Having the personal data and passwords not encrypted is just insane. Just sitting there in the clear is indefensible.

KenOD said:
Because of Sony I HAD to change my passwords, I HAD to cancel my credit card, I HAD to change my name to Don Diego de la Vega né" M. Bison, I HAD to move to another city in another country, I HAD to stop switch my primary language to Russian, and I HAD to make a roast beef sandwich. Damn Sony and the hacker who may or may not be able to access and use the information.

None of that is true, except maybe the name part. That would be rather nice to see on my driving license.

Au jus? Did you have horse radish on the side? I love horse radish.

Sofo

I know that in the big picture of this hacking what I'll say will sound petty but I really hate these hackers for not letting me play co-op Portal 2 with my fiancé (we're apart). ):

DaBuddaDa said:
You're making the assumption that Sony immediately knew that personal data had been compromised. Perhaps it took them a few days of research before they could conclusively determine whether or not that was the case.

They just posted an update on the official blog that this was in fact the case.

offshore

DaBuddaDa said:
It doesn't matter.

The very first thing Sony should have done is to tell people to prepare for the worst case scenario and advised they change passwords/CC detail...even if they didn't know whether data had been hacked or not.

That way, when last night they told us data has leaked, yeah, people would probably have still been pissed, but at least Sony would have given them fair warning by telling them to prepare for the worst.

As it is, the worst has happened, and Sony didn't tell people to prepare for it.

snap0212

DaBuddaDa said:
Sony had to assume the worst until they know for sure. Not the other way around.

If someone steals your wallet, you automatically assume that something bad will happen. You don't just sit around and wait until you know for sure that someone tried to use your credit cards...

-viper-

Banned
To those who are worried over 'identity theft', please kill yourself now.

If you have ever entered in a free competition of some kind or to simply get some 'free shit' by online referrals, then your details are already compromised. These companies are more interested with your details than to give you away products. Then there are also sites which can scan your browser history, the sites you have been to. They can figure out a lot about you - What bank you use, your birthday, you even your dogs name. And thus your 'secret question' answer can quickly be compromised.

A lot of web services are not well protected against intrusion. There are heaps of tools which can be utilised. Keyloggers, trojans, rootkits.

So some people have your name, address, and date of birth. Big fucking deal. I know the names, addresses and dates of birth of many people. It's so easy for me to commit 'identity fraud'.

:rolleyes:

Also, I hope you annihilate your Facebook account into orbit. Right now. If you have been using FB for the past few years, then hahahahaha!

borghe

Projectjustice said:
When I signed up with XBL back in the last generation I had to have a hotmail account to finish my registration.
not sure what you are talking about, but no, your live account was separate from anything else. Until 2007.. well, technically it is still a separate login, it just covers the whole "Live" service when they combined Windows Live, Xbox Live, Hotmail, Messenger, etc all into one service.

Karma said:
Having the personal data and passwords not encrypted is just insane. Just sitting there in the clear is indefensible.
this is stupid conjecture based on not one single fact. please stop spreading this.

offshore said:
It doesn't matter.

The very first thing Sony should have done is to tell people to prepare for the worst case scenario and advised they change passwords/CC detail...even if they didn't know whether data had been hacked or not.

That way, when last night they told us data has leaked, yeah, people would probably have still been pissed, but at least Sony would have gavin them fair warning by telling them to prepare for the worst.

As it is, the worst has happened, and Sony didn't tell people to prepare for it.

What if they end up finding out that there was no data being compromised? You can see some of the drastic reaction here with people closing their CCs and notifying credit bureaus. They did tell people to prepare for the worst, but only after they can confirm it.

offshore said:
It doesn't matter.

That way, when last night they told us data has leaked, yeah, people would probably have still been pissed, but at least Sony would have given them fair warning by telling them to prepare for the worst.

This is so obvious that I'm amazed it has to be repeated. Sony knew something very bad had happened when they took down the whole network. This press release should have been put out with the announcement of the PSN outage imo.

aristotle

snap0212 said:
You're not one of the few being reasonable. You seem to be one of the few who have yet to find out that Sony did exactly what is best for them instead of what's best for the customer. They could have told everyone that data may have been stolen, but they decided to stay quiet for almost a week before they did anything.

The fact that data was stolen is bad, but the fact that Sony waited almost a week before telling us anything is just horrible.

And you act like they knew exactly what happened the second it happened. Have you ever worked in IT or are you basing your opinion off of what someone else is saying? I have worked in IT before. At my company within the last 3 weeks, a hacker got in. We still don't know how. He also embedded code somewhere but it took 2 days to block it since it was intermitten and you couldn't trace where it was coming from until it happened. Also how do you know for a fact that Sony wasn't told to not mention anything so law enforcement agencies could track those responsible? You don't and neither do I. That is why I'm wait for facts, not dumbass speculation on from people who don't any facts.

Effect

snap0212 said:
You're not one of the few being reasonable. You seem to be one of the few who have yet to find out that Sony did exactly what is best for them instead of what's best for the customer. They could have told everyone that data may have been stolen, but they decided to stay quiet for almost a week before they did anything.

Exactly. The actual hack might not have been in their control and maybe one can give them some slack in that regard. Even with the best security that can happen. How they responded to it is something completely different. They deserve all the negativity directed at them in this regard.

MalboroRed said:
What if they end up finding out that there was no data being compromised? You can see some of the drastic reaction here with people closing their CCs and notifying credit bureaus. They did tell people to prepare for the worst, but only after they can confirm it.
Then Sony apologizes and says that while there was no data lost they were only thinking of their customers and the responsibility that the company has in keeping them informed.

offshore

MalboroRed said:
What if they end up finding out that there was no data being compromised?
Who cares? At least you were proactive and warned your customers. I'm pretty sure customers would have prefered that, than what Sony did.

This situation is far worse.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Lamonster said:
What's the latest on when the service will be restored?

WhenWillPSNBeBack.gif

snap0212

MalboroRed said:
I made a comic about this scenario... and about what actually happened. Posted it some pages ago...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27432507&postcount=4552

MalboroRed said:

Well whatever the facts, this is a major, crippling hack job of a major corporation. It'll definitely affect the internet security industry and possibly even laws in some ways.

borghe

lol.. you guys really think you would be more pissed off to find out a week later that you have to change everything because things were compromised than you would have been finding out things might have been compromised only to find out after that in fact nothing was compromised?????

this shit is at comic levels now. You guys would be PISSED if the latter were true. Talking about sony's inept security team first letting this happen, and then not even knowing what happened before telling the consumer, etc. Just like all of you changing your cc numbers are going to be more irate if/when sony releases an official statement saying credit card numbers were not breached.

the less speculative information the dumb consumer has, the better. because all consumers do with speculative information is make horrible assumptions (see the clear text password FUD going around on this)

Captain Tuttle said:
Then Sony apologizes and says that while there was no data lost they were only thinking of their customers and the responsibility that the company has in keeping them informed.
oh yeah, because corporate apologies ALWAYS settle people down and NEVER lead to more anger/frustration....

-viper- said:
Also, I hope you annihilate your Facebook account into orbit. Right now. If you have been using FB for the past few years, then hahahahaha!
1) "Please kill yourself"? what? care to expand on that?
2) You're assuming everyone's on facebook? lol.

borghe said:
lol.. you guys really think you would be more pissed off to find out a week later that you have to change everything because things were compromised than you would have been finding out things might have been compromised only to find out after that in fact nothing was compromised?????

this shit is at comic levels now. You guys would be PISSED if the latter were true. Talking about sony's inept security team first letting this happen, and then not even knowing what happened before telling the consumer, etc. Just like all of you changing your cc numbers are going to be more irate if/when sony releases an official statement saying credit card numbers were not breached.

the less speculative information the dumb consumer has, the better. because all consumers do with speculative information is make horrible assumptions (see the clear text password FUD going around on this)

oh please, changing your credit card # is not a big deal and it's better to be safe than sorry..

vissione

Banned
Still no email. This is such a bad timing for me as I don't really have time to change my card number I'm leaving the country in less than a week and I need it. Fucking thing sucks.

borghe

teruterubozu said:
oh please, changing your credit card # is not a big deal and it's better to be safe than sorry..
we have who knows how many posts in this thread saying the EXACT opposite of this? Are you not seeing those? I mean I agree with you, but clearly there are people who are furious of changing all of this info, and would likely (definitely) be even more furious to find out they did it for nothing. Common sense 101 really.

Release the FACTS when you have them. Not baseless speculation. If Sony didn't have factual knowledge that the systems containing personal information had been breached, it would have been irresponsible to speculate to the consumer that they might have been. Plain and simple.

Dead Man

-viper- said:

If you have ever entered in a free competition of some kind or to simply get some 'free shit' by online referrals, then your details are already compromised. These companies are more interested with your details than to give you away products. Then there are also sites which can scan your browser history, the sites you have been to. They can figure out a lot about you - What bank you use, your birthday, you even your dogs name. And thus your 'secret question' answer can quickly be compromised.

A lot of web services are not well protected against intrusion. There are heaps of tools which can be utilised. Keyloggers, trojans, rootkits.

So some people have your name, address, and date of birth. Big fucking deal. I know the names, addresses and dates of birth of many people. It's so easy for me to commit 'identity fraud'.

:rolleyes:

Wow, bringing the class to the thread I see.

borghe said:
we have who knows how many posts in this thread saying the EXACT opposite of this? Are you not seeing those? I mean I agree with you, but clearly there are people who are furious of changing all of this info, and would likely (definitely) be even more furious to find out they did it for nothing. Common sense 101 really.

Release the FACTS when you have them. Not baseless speculation.

I'm sure for most people it's just: change cc#, rant in all caps in GAF, forget about it.

Cheech

-viper- said:

Last year in the UK, there were 89,000 incidents of identity theft. That is roughly the same number that died from heart disease, the biggest killer.

There's a pretty good reason to be worried about identity theft. I am also assuming you've never had it happen to you, given your nonchalant attitude.

sajj316 said:
Any confirmed reports of credit card fraud?

The card linked to my psn account had fraudulent activity last Thursday to the tune of nearly $1000. Bank corrected everything and sent me a new card. No idea if it is related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom