• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jburton

Banned
Projectjustice said:
Since when does it say that I have to own PS3/PSN to post in here?

It doesn't but being a dick, posting flamebait comments about your COD match last night etc all smacks of trolling.

jmdajr

In short, there is no actual need whatsoever for your password to be stored server-side at all. Sony's statement suggests that it was actually storing sensitive information in plain text format, which defies belief. The only other explanation is that hackers only got access to the hashes and may have compromised a small minority of passwords by brute-forcing this data using something like a dictionary look-up. However, from the tone of Sony's apology this does not appear to be the case.

well fuck..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-psn-security-scandal

Kosmo

Banned
Fortunately my credit card on file had expired, but I do know this will make me more careful with online purchases - for gaming it will be PSN/Xbox Points cards from now on.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
MoneyLaunderer said:
I had to call MS to remove it. And that was back in January of this year. There is no way to remove it from their website anymore since the redesign. And it took 25 minutes to get auto-renew shut off and my CC removed. Pain in the ass.
I had auto-renew off before the redesign and it still says off.

MoneyLaunderer said:
I had to call MS to remove it. And that was back in January of this year. There is no way to remove it from their website anymore since the redesign. And it took 25 minutes to get auto-renew shut off and my CC removed. Pain in the ass.
Huh. I had 2 cards on there (a debit and an Amex) and just removed both online without any issues. I don't know.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jmdajr said:
well fuck..

It's not conclusive...I would like them to come out and clarify whether passwords were hashed or not, though.

According to WSJ a spokesperson has said that any credit card info stored on their servers is encrypted. (Who knows, though, if their encryption is bullet-proof after earlier client-side problems :p).

Jburton said:
All true, but the media and people (humans by default) are fickle.

Once PSN is back up and running and a few days has passed after yesterdays announcement ...... users and the media will forget about it / stop caring.

The only people that will remember are hardcore gamers / forumites and fanboys who use such things as ammo to troll with.
This is true. The news cycle will move on in a day our two, though the hit to Sony's reputation in the gaming community will take longer to repair.

ZZMitch

Jburton said:
All true, but the media and people (humans by default) are fickle.

Once PSN is back up and running and a few days has passed after yesterdays announcement ...... users and the media will forget about it / stop caring.

The only people that will remember are hardcore gamers / forumites and fanboys who use such things as ammo to troll with.
Maybe, but I do think people will (and should) start using PSN cards more instead of putting their credit card up. I think does does have some long term implications, they probably wont be to drastic though.

Projectjustice said:
Since when does it say that I have to own PS3/PSN to post in here?
Seriously, GTFO of this thread. You haven't added one thing to this discussion and you are trying to troll. Go play Live or something.

Rebel Leader said:
I had auto-renew off before the redesign and it still says off.

Good. That way you won't have to worry about the headache of turning it off, but you probably still have to contact their customer service to remove the card fully. Hope they don't give you a hard time like they did to me. I understand asking why someone wants to remove their CC, but trying to upsell them on services makes no sense to me. LOL

Spwn

So far no weird transactions on my bank account so I'm cautiously optimistic that my card information has not leaked. Never going to use it on PSN ever again, though. Haven't changed any of my passwords yet, because I don't have any account that shares the exact same combination, but I guess I'll be doing that when I got some extra time on my hands.

OMG Aero said:
Probably the red ring of death.
Agreed and this will probably affect Sony the same way. there will be a faint stink about the PSN for most people in the future but it won't cripple them. That is if Sony can come up with something that's equivalent to the 3 year warranty extension that MS did.

Jburton said:
It doesn't but being a dick, posting flamebait comments about your COD match last night etc all smacks of trolling.

Well like I said, my brother is going thru this and its just unacceptable. Sorry with whats going on. Hopefully PSN will be back up soon.

dude

dude
aristotle said:
This hasn't really affected me yet (hopefully never), but I check my statements more than once a day since this happened. More than likely I'll ask for a new card and be done with it. Changing numbers is simple & easy and has no ill-effect on you or your account. People are seriously going off the deep end with this. Be rational for once, even if this is GAF.
Anyone who is not mad at Sony right now is the one who is not acting rationally.

Hobbun

This may be a dumb question, but your network password (in case you use a router) is not affected, right? It’s strictly my PSN password, only?

blazeuk

OMG Aero said:
Probably the red ring of death.

Was it really though? While it may have cost MS a fortune to replace all those consoles, it cost the consumer maybe a week of being without a console. This is on a totally different scale, I think alot of people would prefer being without a console for a week rather than having all their personal information (including card details) stolen.

bitoriginal

Smision said:
it's the same password

So am I right in assuming that changing my hotmail password also changes the password required to get on XBL? If this is the case, I've already changed my hotmail, however, my Xbox has not asked me for a new password.

Kyoufu

Hobbun said:
This may be a dumb question, but your network password (in case you use a router) is not affected, right? It’s strictly my PSN password, only?

Well, its all connected. Even your finger prints on your PS3 controller are now potentially in the hands of the hacker.

Serious answer: its just your PSN password.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
dude said:
Anyone who is not mad at Sony right now is the one who is not acting rationally.

Ah, the old "I'm not crazy, the rest of the world is!"-logic. Good arguments for your point too.

aristotle said:
Err....you're really grasping at straws. You put in the old number when you pay your current bills. Next time, put in the new number. It's the same exact process you do now. Unless you're actually one of those people who clicks "use the same card" no matter what. Besides it's not hard to type a 16 digit number. You life isn't that busy that you can't take 10-15 extra seconds to do that.

Apologists. I like it. So whenever you use Netflix, Gamefly, Amazon, and God knows what else you type in your card each and every time?

"Unless you're one of those people who clicks 'use the same card'" .... LMAO ... seriously? "Those people" constitute almost every single fucking person that shops online. You honestly think all the people that shop at Amazon enter in their CC every time they shop?

Talk about grasping at straws.

webrunner

Hobbun said:

Well, if
a) your PSN password and router password are the same
and
b) someone with the hack information happens to be next door and recognizes you on the list

Then yeah, they can break in.

GeoramA said:
Same. I've only used gift cards and PSN cards.

Looks like my paranoia paid off.
Same here, I've never put a real address or CC info on PSN, been always using PSN cards. The most I can lose is wallet amount, which is not even enough to buy SSF4 costumes.

Captain Tuttle said:
Agreed and this will probably affect Sony the same way. there will be a faint stink about the PSN for most people in the future but it won't cripple them. That is if Sony can come up with something that's equivalent to the 3 year warranty extension that MS did.
You are delusional. The PSN outage is already almost as long as it takes for a 360 console repair, and no ones getting their identity stolen over RROD.

Jburton

Banned
Genjikage said:
Still no email =\ stupid Aus Sony

Relax, being in this thread means you know everything already.

I haven't received an email here in the uk.

Don't need it I have seen the news, read the statement online etc.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Genjikage said:
Still no email =\ stupid Aus Sony
Why do you want the email for? The text its the same as the PS Blog post.

Is there any chance that they're giving priority to accounts that had credit/debit cards used on them for the email warnings? My US account, which I only used a PSN card on doesn't have an email yet. My UK account, which I deleted my debit card details from about a month ago and hadn't bought anything from in a while, hasn't got an email. I can't remember how to get into my Japanese and HK account emails as I never use them.

On the positive side the hackers are mostly getting fake personal information from my accounts.

spats said:
Would you believe me if I told you I was a Sony rep? That's complete bullshit.

Read the previous comments by the user, it seems pretty legit. The user had info that wasnt readily available and was responding to questions. Check it out.

blazeuk said:
Was it really though? While it may have cost MS a fortune to replace all those consoles, it cost the consumer maybe a week of being without a console. This is on a totally different scale, I think alot of people would prefer being without a console for a week rather than having all their personal information (including card details) stolen.
Yep, not sure why they're being compared. Also, I could care less about my credit card details being stolen - they can easily be cancelled.

The bigger problem here is personal details. With your username, password, email address, home address, date of birth and your mother's maiden name (or other chosen security questions), it's easy for anyone to call up a card company or bank and pretend to be you. I'm personally just glad that I never got around to updating my email or postal address on my PSN account since they changed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
blazeuk said:
almost everyone I know locally (about 6 guys) went through multiple consoles. two of them went through a ton. one of them like 4 and one of them 6.. the guy who went through six got two of them RROD within 24 hours after hooking them up..

who knows where this will fall.. but pre-Slim 360s are poison.. Most companies do a slim to lower production costs/price, etc. MS had to do a slim line to wash the bad taste of RROD from everyone's mouth. I highly doubt this will turn out as bad for sony as the height of the RROD for MS. Of course MS has finally rid themselves (for now) of that nightmare.

well, except for me... my 360 is screwed but never RRODed... so I have to pay $99 to get my fat repaired or drop money on a slim... hence why I mostly have been gaming on my PS3 since.

offshore

electroshockwave said:
Is there any chance that they're giving priority to accounts that had credit/debit cards used on them for the email warnings? My US account, which I only used a PSN card on doesn't have an email yet. My UK account, which I deleted my debit card details from about a month ago and hadn't bought anything from in a while, hasn't got an email. I can't remember how to get into my Japanese and HK account emails as I never use them.

On the positive side the hackers are mostly getting fake personal information from my accounts.
No, my current CC card is on PSN and I haven't gotten an email about it.

Got a nice email about PlayStation Move a few days ago though :lol

Hobbun

webrunner said:
Well, if
a) your PSN password and router password are the same

Not even close to the same.

webrunner said:
b) someone with the hack information happens to be next door and recognizes you on the list

Well, my new neighbor does seem a bit shady...

darkwing

cjtiger300 said:
Read the previous comments by the user, it seems pretty legit. The user had info that wasnt readily available and was responding to questions. Check it out.

i'm hopefully, maybe it might have some little truth to it, we will know this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom