• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Mr. B Natural said:
That scenario is even more embarrassing for Sony and scary for the customer. Sony not knowing exactly what's happening to their own network service is what is wowing me more than anything else in this tragedy, even the silence. The silence, while crappy is harmless. Sony losing control this badly that it's taken this long just to figure out what happened?....yeesh.

A company isn't going to know exactly what data has been accessed unless they have every sort of monitoring (beyond expected behavior function logs) turned on. If they did have that kind of monitoring going, you're talking about millions of events that they must sort through.

This stuff takes time. Especially when you hire an outside firm to handle the investigation.

gcubed

Cheech said:
If I have your name, address, and DOB, I have all I need to make a state ID (driver's) which a bank will take in lieu of a SSN.

Sorry chief. This is no bullshit.

um... no...

do you read what you post and not think its wrong? God, inform yourself a bit... chief.

jmdajr

lol51 said:
or you could

1) Call number on back of card
2) Explain card info has been compromised
Your old card will be deactivated... A new card will be issued free with a new number
3) Wait 5 to 7 business days for new card.

The way you explained actually has an impact on your credit score.

At least for check cards it's that easy

JaseMath

Just canceled my CC attached to PSN. A long day of deleting that old CC information from various websites/businesses awaits. Thanks, Sony!

BeeDog

Good points about that Gawker stuff; to be honest, aside from Kotaku I have no real clue what's connected in that "network". Welp, I guess that if the stolen info is sold, criminals will want to use it as fast as possible before everyone takes pre-emptive measures (seeing as this epic failure is all over the news).

Zoe

Cheech said:
If I have your name, address, and DOB, I have all I need to make a state ID (driver's) which a bank will take in lieu of a SSN.

I have never been able to open a bank account without an SSN.

aristotle

snap0212 said:
Since you've worked in IT you could probably answer some questions: If Sony took down the whole PSN, how was any hacker supposed to be still on there? That's the only reason why any law enforcement would tell Sony to not tell anyone anything – to make sure they can get more information about the hacker or what's happening. Sony shut down the network completely so no one was able to leave any traces anymore. Why would any law enforcement force Sony to not say anything? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I never said I do it currently. I help out at my current job. I never once stated they (the hacker(s) would still be in there. They more than likely did leave a footprint though. They would peruse the logs and track down who did what in the last hours of the server being online. Plus if someone was doing something malicious as they pulled the plug, they would be able to work from the end forward. They could then track where that person went or what they did.

This is all speculation of course, but most of this thread is the same speculation spreading alarmist FUD.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Zoe said:
I have never been able to open a bank account without an SSN.
Seriously. By that logic, a Domino's worker would have a million dollars in stolen credit from taking customer information

Cheech said:

I have bought many cars, several houses, had dozens of credit cards, and many bank accounts. Your SSN makes these things easier, but you can do them without, with the exception of a mortgage.

Your bank can give you mortgages and loans just by having your name, address and DOB, without verifying you by your actual physical IDs and verifying your income and employment? What kind of bank do you deal with?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Cheech said:

I have bought many cars, several houses, had dozens of credit cards, and many bank accounts. Your SSN makes these things easier, but you can do them without, with the exception of a mortgage.
this is not true. (well, the lack of SS part). The amount of credit info available with a state id is next to nothing compared to a SS#. You will not get any real form of credit whatsoever without a SS#. Pretty sure about the most your state id provides is like banking stuff (i.e. bad checks, bad accounts, etc). Any place that is giving you such credit without you explicitly providing them your SS# already has your SS# on file and is doing it as a (very awful) courtesy.

Cheech

gcubed said:
either he doesnt live in the US, or he is trolling, or even worse, he is ignorant

I live in the US, and have PERSONALLY opened checking accounts without an SSN.

Small credit unions do not give a shit. US banking laws require you to give a SSN, but podunk CUs? They will take a driver's license.

MalboroRed said:
Your bank can give you mortgages and loans just by having your name, address and DOB, without verifying you by your actual physical IDs and verifying your income and employment? What kind of bank do you deal with?

See above, but I specifically excluded mortgages.

Do you know how easy it is to make a driver's license?

MalboroRed said:
Can't speak for him, but in the UK you can sign up for all of that good stuff without showing any ID. You will be credit checked against the data you provide though.

borghe

Cheech said:

Small credit unions do not give a shit. US banking laws require you to give a SSN, but podunk CUs? They will take a driver's license.
see my post above. correct. non-credit accounts sometimes do not mandate SS#. But anything requiring a credit check/score will require a SS#.

snap0212

aristotle said:
I never said I do it currently. I help out at my current job. I never once stated they (the hacker(s) would still be in there. They more than likely did leave a footprint though. They would peruse the logs and track down who did what in the last hours of the server being online. Plus if someone was doing something malicious as they pulled the plug, they would be able to work from the end forward. They could then track where that person went or what they did.

This is all speculation of course, but most of this thread is the same speculation spreading alarmist FUD.
That's why I've said you've worked there. I did not say you currently do. What you said that it's possible that Sony was forced to not say anything and I basically wanted to know why any law enforcement would ask Sony to not tell anything. Especially when they actually did talk about the hack.

Again: Sony could and should have told everyone that something bad might have happened, that our data might have been stolen and that they're not 100% sure about that. Instead, they've waited almost a week until they told us anything. That's a fact, no speculation or spreading of FUD.

I got my first three pieces of spam in a four year old account today. I've been meticulous before, using spam gourmet to conceal it. The address is the one I used to register my PSN account with.

Coincidence?

lol51 said:
or you could

1) Call number on back of card
2) Explain card info has been compromised
Your old card will be deactivated... A new card will be issued free with a new number
3) Wait 5 to 7 business days for new card.

The way you explained actually has an impact on your credit score.
I think it should be in the OP that you need to say your card is lost / stolen and you will get a new one. Too many ppl up in this bitch actually trying to -cancel-.

aristotle

Cheech said:

Wait. Now I know you're lying. It's against federal law to open a bank account without a SS# since 9/11. The bank you're talking about is committing felonies left and right.

Edit: What I just said is false. Going to any bank, it has posted that you MUST have a SS# number to open an account. I took that for law since I remember how things changed after 9/11. Apparently you can open a bank account anywhere in the US if you press the matter and learn what loopholes there are. You can easily open an account without a SS#. I apologize. I was completely wrong. I'm dumbfounded that you can bypass the federal law like that.

neorej said:
I don't know where you live, but with my bank it comes down to this:
1) Fill out form to close CC-account
2) send in form
3) get written confirmation about received form about 7 to 9 days later
4) get written confirmation about starting to process request about 3 to 5 days later

--up untill this point any fraud with the CC-info is still very possible--

5) get written confirmation about closed CC-account about 3 to 5 days later
6) fill out and send in form to get new CC-account
7) get written confirmation about received form about 7 to 9 days later
8) get written confirmation about starting to process request about 3 to 5 days later
9) receive confirmation that your request has been processed about 14 to 19 days later
10) receive the new credit card about 4 to 8 days later

Yeah, no hassle at all. Especially when taking into consideration that your old card is useless during this process.

Huh? All I've had to do in the past is call my bank, tell them the situation. They close down the card immedietely and send me a new one. The hassle comes in waiting for the card to come int he mail 3-4 days later because I don't normally carry cash.

jmdajr

kurtrussell said:
I got my first three pieces of spam in a four year old account today. I've been meticulous before, using spam gourmet to conceal it. The address is the one I used to register my PSN account with.

Coincidence?

hmmmm

borghe

aristotle said:
Wait. Now I know you're lying. It's against federal law to open a bank account without a SS# since 9/11. The bank you're talking about is committing felonies left and right.
heh, I guess I haven't opened an account in a while :p

yeah, he is completely wrong, or is dealing with lenders/banks breaking the law. You will get $0 in credit without a social security number in the US. I just didn't know it was actually illegal to open a bank account without a SS#.. I know years ago (obviously pre-9/11) you could, though you still couldn't do credit without one.

kurtrussell said:

Coincidence?

I think not!!!

FStop7

Banned
Wow @ some of the shit in this thread. There really is a defense force for everything.

This is a huge fuckup, period. You should be concerned for your data, period. I didn't have a CC on file with PSN, thankfully. I feel for those who did.

gcubed

Cheech said:

See above, but I specifically excluded mortgages.

Do you know how easy it is to make a driver's license?

thats not the only part that is wrong. you can't get a drivers license with only a date of birth name and address

Zutroy

kurtrussell said:

Coincidence?
Could be. I have a gmail account that I've never sent an email from or registered any site with it, yet it's still full of spam somehow.

Cheech

aristotle said:

Lying? Come on. While yes, most of these accounts were opened pre-9/11, I did open one in 2006 with no SSN. It was for a child. I think it was savings only, though, so maybe they don't have the SSN requirement?

My point is that criminals always figure out ways around these things. You seem kind of combative about this, not thinking of the fact that your personal info, DOB included, is probably up for sale on the black market right now.

gcubed said:
thats not the only part that is wrong. you can't get a drivers license with only a date of birth name and address

A legitimate driver's license? Of course not. Again, do you know how easy it is to make these?

aristotle

borghe said:

yeah, he is completely wrong, or is dealing with lenders/banks breaking the law. You will get $0 in credit without a social security number in the US. I just didn't know it was actually illegal to open a bank account without a SS#.. I know years ago (obviously pre-9/11) you could, though you still couldn't do credit without one.

Actually it is a federal law, but you can bypass it easily and legally. I had no idea until I did more research into it just now. He is right.

larvi

borghe said:

The problem is though that with the rest of the info provided, someone may be able to get your SSN, or you SSN may have already been compromised and Sony just handed somone the rest of the information that is needed to steal your identity.

See this post:

http://www.lawforumlog.net/2011/04/...-if-they-know-my-full-name-and-date-of-birth/

For some reason I would tend to trust opinions on a law forum over NeoGaf in regards to these matters but maybe that is just me.

Angry Fork

Cheech said:

The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World.jpg

I'm wondering what developers and publishers are thinking about this whole mess right now. I know the Pixeljunk guys were saying stuff the other day about the impact to their business, but so far I've not seen much from others.

aristotle

Cheech said:
Lying? Come on. While yes, most of these accounts were opened pre-9/11, I did open one in 2006 with no SSN. It was for a child. I think it was savings only, though, so maybe they don't have the SSN requirement?

My point is that criminals always figure out ways around these things. You seem kind of combative about this, not thinking of the fact that your personal info, DOB included, is probably up for sale on the black market right now.

A legitimate driver's license? Of course not. Again, do you know how easy it is to make these?

Re-read my posts please. I'm not combative in the slightest, I thought you were spreading mis-information. You were of course because you said yourself just now that one account was for a kid and the other was pre-9/11, you conveniently left out that bit of information for your argument. I proved your point for you though and it is legal to open an account without a SS#.

I'm not worried in the slightest about my information being stolen. I'm way too far in debt for anyone to steal my identity. I guess that's finally a perk huh?

insertcomingupmilhouse.gif

gcubed

larvi said:
The problem is though that with the rest of the info provided, someone may be able to get your SSN, or you SSN may have already been compromised and Sony just handed somone the rest of the information that is needed to steal your identity.

See this post:

http://www.lawforumlog.net/2011/04/...-if-they-know-my-full-name-and-date-of-birth/

For some reason I would tend to trust opinions on a law forum over NeoGaf in regards to these matters but maybe that is just me.

Then you should quit the internet, because if you want to go that far into it, people can get your name, address, phone number and date of birth whenever they want, which has nothing to do with Sony. Go to 4chan and tell them they have no idea who you are. Withing a few hours, if that, you'll have people calling your phone, posting everything about you on the internet. If you are going to be that paranoid, then you shouldn't be on the internet.

gcubed said:

Typical ID requirements for driver's license or state ID card:
(This varies from state to state but I DOUBT by a lot beyond cash cost)

* One document that verifies your name and date of birth. This can include your certified birth certificate, passport, and naturalization or citizenship certificates.

* Social Security card.

* If the first document is not a photo ID, then you must supply one more form of identification. This can include any valid U.S. driver's license, marriage license, Veterans Administration card, Selective Service card, school identification card with photo, a W2 tax form, or divorce decree.

* $23 to purchase the non-driving ID.

neoism

CadetMahoney said:
I think it should be in the OP that you need to say your card is lost / stolen and you will get a new one. Too many ppl up in this bitch actually trying to -cancel-.
I had to do this... :( sucks.

borghe

larvi said:

See this post:

while all of this is true, it is bordering on tinfoilhat territory.. It's entirely based on the presumption that you are screwed because all of the data that sony just had stolen, when combined with data that is supposed to be even more guarded/trusted, will open you up for attack. but beyond that, that there are groups/people just waiting for months/years to collate this sort of information.

I mean yeah it's possible... but at some point you just have to figure out probability, determine likelihood, and then just move on with your life.

Cheech said:

How would someone other than you have your driver's license? If a financial institution decides to not make sure the IDs are legit and someone got your name and address from the phone book, then who do you blame? The white pages?

Oozinator said:
In Canada, a Social Insurance Number (equivalent to SSN) is not mandatory for openning a bank account / line of credit online.

You need two pieces of valid ID to open a bank account.

For a line of credit you need to prove you employment and income, as well as a credit bureau check, it's not that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom