• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

UntoldDreams said:
Typical ID requirements for driver's license or state ID card:
(This varies from state to state but I DOUBT by a lot beyond cash cost)

* One document that verifies your name and date of birth. This can include your certified birth certificate, passport, and naturalization or citizenship certificates.

* Social Security card.

* If the first document is not a photo ID, then you must supply one more form of identification. This can include any valid U.S. driver's license, marriage license, Veterans Administration card, Selective Service card, school identification card with photo, a W2 tax form, or divorce decree.

* $23 to purchase the non-driving ID.

it was so ridiculous that it doesnt even make sense

Cheech

Angry Fork said:
The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World.jpg

What I don't understand is why I'm being attacked for just passing along the potential consequences of a malicious third party having your personal info, DOB, and credit card. Like I'm just making all kinds of shit up.. to what end? To troll Sony? Give me a break. The specific advice I gave, to put a credit tracker on your account, is not exactly "out there". Tons of people do it without an actual security breach motivating them to do so.

FTR, I haven't played a console game all year on any system. So please save yourselves the googling to find evidence of my Xbot ways.

brentech

aristotle said:
Actually it is a federal law, but you can bypass it easily and legally. I had no idea until I did more research into it just now. He is right.
Yeah. As I stated earlier. Worked for a few different banks in IT, and while I had absolutely nothing to do with customers....I had to help some of our bankers when systems were migrated and they were able to open customer accounts using all 0's for the SSN if the person absolutely couldn't provide one and everything else was legit.

Some bank managers are more brash and just won't allow it in their office though. It all depends....

gcubed

Cheech said:
What I don't understand is why I'm being attacked for just passing along the potential consequences of a malicious third party having your personal info, DOB, and credit card. Like I'm just making all kinds of shit up.. to what end? To troll Sony? Give me a break. The specific advice I gave, to put a credit tracker on your account, is not exactly "out there". Tons of people do it without an actual security breach motivating them to do so.

FTR, I haven't played a console game all year on any system. So please save yourselves the googling to find evidence of my Xbot ways.

you are being attacked because you are spreading wrong information in a panic setting.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So, 10 days have gone-by since the breach and I have yet to notice any anomaly as far as my CC transactions and identity usage go.

This is unacceptable. I demand the hackers to act soon or I'll sue them for sitting on my sensible information.

Chuckie

neorej said:
I don't know where you live, but with my bank it comes down to this:
1) Fill out form to close CC-account
2) send in form
3) get written confirmation about received form about 7 to 9 days later
4) get written confirmation about starting to process request about 3 to 5 days later

--up untill this point any fraud with the CC-info is still very possible--

5) get written confirmation about closed CC-account about 3 to 5 days later
6) fill out and send in form to get new CC-account
7) get written confirmation about received form about 7 to 9 days later
8) get written confirmation about starting to process request about 3 to 5 days later
9) receive confirmation that your request has been processed about 14 to 19 days later
10) receive the new credit card about 4 to 8 days later

Yeah, no hassle at all. Especially when taking into consideration that your old card is useless during this process.

This would be in the case of 'regular' changing of numbers. If I had a Rabobank CC I would consider what just happend 'theft' and call that special number of them so it would be instantly blocked.

jmdajr

I spend a decade+ with not ever having anyone ever steal anything from my accounts... until this year. Some dude spent 1000 bucks with what must have been a dupe of my card in some Walmart far, far away.

It's no reason to be completely paranoid, but you can't just ignore it either. At least take some precautions and have some back up plans.

All I can think is it must have been some data base breach. In such a situation can't really do shit about it... no matter how many password and precautions I take.

You can be vigilant though. Heck even on facebook you can choose what you want to put on there.

I have a hard time seeing how people getting access to your DOB, name, and address is some holy grail of identity theft. I could go on facebook right now and find most peoples DOB and name then google the name to find an address in the white pages. If you're that paranoid you might as well get off the internet.

Angry Fork

Cheech said:

I was just kidding with the picture, since it sounds like something the most interesting man would say (and your avatar also). I don't believe you to be lying or anything, i'm indifferent.

larvi

borghe said:
while all of this is true, it is bordering on tinfoilhat territory.. It's entirely based on the presumption that you are screwed because all of the data that sony just had stolen, when combined with data that is supposed to be even more guarded/trusted, will open you up for attack. but beyond that, that there are groups/people just waiting for months/years to collate this sort of information.

I mean yeah it's possible... but at some point you just have to figure out probability, determine likelihood, and then just move on with your life.

So I'm not allowed to even be slightly irked at what happened? I've been making internet purchases for years (my ebay ID dates back to 1998) and I've definitely had my info compromised by other companies before, id's. pw's, CC#'s etc, but this is the first time to my knowledge that this much personal information has been release in one nice tidy package. I guess it was stupid of me to provide my real info when signing up with Sony but for some reason I trusted them where I wouldn't if I was purchasing from dealextreme or some other overseas website.

UberTag

FStop7 said:
Wow @ some of the shit in this thread. There really is a defense force for everything.

This is a huge fuckup, period. You should be concerned for your data, period. I didn't have a CC on file with PSN, thankfully. I feel for those who did.
"Winning" the forum perception war supercedes almost anything for some people. They'll argue day and night about giving "benefits of the doubt" and "baseless speculation" no matter what the circumstances. Some have even gone on record as saying they're doing so "just because they're bored - PSN is still down".

Meanwhile, all of our personal identifying information and likely our credit card details are floating around out there being pitched to the highest bidder. I know mine is - I purchased Trails in the Sky on PSN in late March via VISA. If I wasn't watching the news or a game forum, I would have no idea about this (no E-Mails yet in Canada).

People have a right to be outraged. Sony fans are really the ones who should be the most upset given these circumstances because of the irreperable damage that has been done to the Playstation brand worldwide as a result of the company letting this information out, not divulging the circumstances last week and letting their crusade against hackers escalate to this level. No "Band-Aid" game giveaway can fix this. Some great game developers are going to lose their jobs and their companies as a result - starting from Zipper on down - and it's a real shame for gamers everywhere.

XTERC

I just spoke to my bank to get a new CC #, I let them know why and the lady on the phone said 'Ah yes, I've heard about that'. It was a relatively painless (<2 min) excercise but it definately makes you think. This may have been a good thing in regards to increasing peoples awareness of the pitfalls of purchasing goods online.

I've recently been sent emails regarding Tivo's & Bank of America's email providers servers being comprimised, so it seems like this kind of attack is on the rise.

neorej said:
2) send in form
4) get written confirmation about starting to process request about 3 to 5 days later

8) get written confirmation about starting to process request about 3 to 5 days later
9) receive confirmation that your request has been processed about 14 to 19 days later

Yeah, no hassle at all. Especially when taking into consideration that your old card is useless during this process.

Umm, what the fuck is this?

Dude you call a number and they send you a new card in 5 days. It takes about 5 minutes on the phone.

Or maybe you just need to get a new bank. It does not take a month to get a new credit card.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
MiDNiGHTS said:
I have a hard time seeing how people getting access to your DOB, name, and address is some holy grail of identity theft. I could go on facebook right now and find most peoples DOB and name then google the name to find an address in the white pages. If you're that paranoid you might as well get off the internet.
I actually think the big problems here are the username/password and the mention of credit card. the fact that it's your email address, psn id (where many people will use the same handle around the net), and password is scary enough for some, and then even the MENTION of credit card on top of that... I mean it is what it is... but it's basically the equivalent of seeing the police car lights lit up behind you as you are pulled over. How many of us are thinking at that point "meh, I have nothing to worry about". No, most instead are thinking "man, how bad am I going to be screwed on this"

aristotle

brentech said:
Yeah. As I stated earlier. Worked for a few different banks in IT, and while I had absolutely nothing to do with customers....I had to help some of our bankers when systems were migrated and they were able to open customer accounts using all 0's for the SSN if the person absolutely couldn't provide one and everything else was legit.

Some bank managers are more brash and just won't allow it in their office though. It all depends....

Actually there is legal precedent on how you can open any bank account here in the USA without a SS#. Few people would be that hard-nosed about it, but legally the bank has no reason to deny you an account because you don't have a SS#. They legally don't have to ask for it, but they do because of a federal regulation. You can by-pass that though based on other federal regulations.

Zoe

Arpharmd B said:
Umm, what the fuck is this?

Dude you call a number and they send you a new card in 5 days. It takes about 5 minutes on the phone.

Or maybe you just need to get a new bank. It does not take a month to get a new credit card.

Sounds like he thinks he has to completely close out his whole account.

Cheech

gcubed said:
you are being attacked because you are spreading wrong information in a panic setting.

What information is "wrong"? That somebody can steal your identity without a SSN? Of course they can.

The info you gave Sony is enough info to create a fake driver's license, which can be used for all sorts of nefarious things. None of this is a stretch. Are you trying to discredit me just to make yourself feel better, or make people feel ok about their personal details being stolen so they don't take necessary precautions? You're doing them a disservice either way. This is way past console warz, my friend.

aristotle said:
I'm not worried in the slightest about my information being stolen. I'm way too far in debt for anyone to steal my identity. I guess that's finally a perk huh?

Yeah, but imagine 5 years from now when you are married and want to buy a house. Or you get a summons because Walmart decided to press charges on a bad check "you" wrote.

If you're in the USA, use this site to get a free copy of your credit report. That is the site that the gov't forced the big credit agencies to create so that people could see what is on their credit history, and not be forced to pay for it. Now, that report won't give you your FICO score (THAT costs extra), but it does tell you exactly what your open and closed credit accounts are. You can run it once per year for free.

This doesn't protect you from checking account nonsense, but in case someone DOES get your SSN, that will at least keep you informed.

borghe said:
I actually think the big problems here are the username/password and the mention of credit card. the fact that it's your email address, psn id (where many people will use the same handle around the net), and password is scary enough for some, and then even the MENTION of credit card on top of that... I mean it is what it is... but it's basically the equivalent of seeing the police car lights lit up behind you as you are pulled over. How many of us are thinking at that point "meh, I have nothing to worry about". No, most instead are thinking "man, how bad am I going to be screwed on this"

It's a trust factor too. I mean, if this happened to say Apple on all their iTunes/App stores, the news and reaction would apocalyptic. Alas, it's just PlayStation, but it' a major blow for a company trying to compete with Apple and Amazon for digital content distribution.

neorej said:
2) send in form

No offense but what kind of stone-age bank are we talking about here? Do you not have a telephone? What do you have? A string attached to a cup?

UFRA

So I got the email. Is this something they send out to everyone or only the accounts that were affected?

I'm confused since the PS Blog made it sound like they're sending it to everyone, yet in the email it literally says "information you provided was obtained" or whatever...

:/

I swear, if someone got my account and changed my password or something I'm gonna be so pissed.

madmook

E-mail question guys:

Gmail has this link at the bottom that shows you all the recent logins from what IP address. Does Yahoo mail have this function?

Edit: n/m, it appears to be no. Yahoo should add this option.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Has there been a Hitler-meme done with it yet? Url plz.

Also. Some boards have this rumour going, that Obama released his longform today because he actually signed up to PS+ with "Uganda" as his nationality. And since PSN was hacked, it would have blow his cover. Crackpot theory or fact?

aristotle

Cheech said:
Yeah, but imagine 5 years from now when you are married and want to buy a house. Or you get a summons because Walmart decided to press charges on a bad check "you" wrote.

If you're in the USA, use this site to get a free copy of your credit report. That is the site that the gov't forced the big credit agencies to create so that people could see what is on their credit history, and not be forced to pay for it. Now, that report won't give you your FICO score (THAT costs extra), but it does tell you exactly what your open and closed credit accounts are. You can run it once per year for free.

This doesn't protect you from checking account nonsense, but in case someone DOES get your SSN, that will at least keep you informed.

Thanks for the information, but I watch all of my information closely. My credit debt will stop anyone from getting a loan or something like that. Like I said, I'm not worried, but people just have to watch their information. Those that do that already are the ones not getting too worked up over most of this. To me this is a slight hiccup right now. My opinion on the matter may change when real information comes out though.

Zoe

Cheech said:
What information is "wrong"? That somebody can steal your identity without a SSN? Of course they can.

The info you gave Sony is enough info to create a fake driver's license, which can be used for all sorts of nefarious things. None of this is a stretch. Are you trying to discredit me just to make yourself feel better, or make people feel ok about their personal details being stolen so they don't take necessary precautions? You're doing them a disservice either way. This is way past console warz, my friend.

http://www.whitepages.com/

You can cause people to panic and are feeding into the paranoia over something that can be found in 5 seconds.

Loudninja

UFRA said:
So I got the email. Is this something they send out to everyone or only the accounts that were affected?

I'm confused since the PS Blog made it sound like they're sending it to everyone, yet in the email it literally says "information you provided was obtained" or whatever...

I swear, if someone got my account and changed my password or something I'm gonna be so pissed.
Everyone is getting it.

Angry Fork

UFRA said:

It's to everyone. I don't think there's a real way of them knowing who's details in particular have been stolen.

Jburton

Banned
dak1dsk1 said:
Has there been a Hitler-meme done with it yet? Url plz.

Also. Some boards have this rumour going, that Obama released his longform today because he actually signed up to PS+ with "Uganda" as his nationality. And since PSN was hacked, it would have blow his cover. Crackpot theory or fact?

lol, just lol.

brentech

aristotle said:
Actually there is legal precedent on how you can open any bank account here in the USA without a SS#. Few people would be that hard-nosed about it, but legally the bank has no reason to deny you an account because you don't have a SS#. They legally don't have to ask for it, but they do because of a federal regulation. You can by-pass that though based on other federal regulations.
Interesting (again, not a banker, so I don't know the rules), but our banking system required something be input into the SSN field.
Every bank uses their own software, but ours needed something - it couldn't be blank.

Zapages

Tryckser said:
My bank said I should just monitor it and not lock my CC just now.
Anyways, all future buys from PSN will be with PlaystationCards ^^

Same here. Although this royally sucks though. :|

sajj316

Not sure if this has been discussed but I put a 90 day fraud alert via Experian (in the US). If anything happens in the next 3 months (like unauthorized opening of accounts), I will be alerted via email.

gcubed

Cheech said:

show me where you can get a drivers license or state id card with full name, address and date of birth only?

I'll be waiting

th3dude

kurtrussell said:
Does this mean we can't register Portal PS3 at this time to pick up the PC version, or is the PS3 steamworks thing separate to PSN?

You have to link your PSN id to your Steam ID before you can register. So no PSN == no linking.

larvi

sajj316 said:
Not sure if this has been discussed but I put a 90 day fraud alert via Experian (in the US). If anything happens in the next 3 months (like unauthorized opening of accounts), I will be alerted via email.

Is this a free service?

gcubed said:
show me where you can get a drivers license or state id card with full name, address and date of birth only?

I'll be waiting

I think he changed his tune into saying that they can make a good fake ID with that info.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
gcubed said:

I'll be waiting

He's talking about creating a fake driver's license with the stolen information. That's why he's said "make" in reference to them three times now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom