• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonys image got a little kick in the ass today...

This shit made international news and everyone is scared FOR NO REASON!!!

People, wake up.

Hex

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Tomorrow's front page...

15980693.jpg

Who were told to cancel their credit cards?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011...playstation-credit-cards-warning_8436469.html
Verizon ( VZ - news - people )'s latest annual security report, one of the industry's most authoritative analyses, found that the number of compromised records in cases examined by it and the U.S. Secret Service dropped from a record-breaking 361 million in 2008 to under 4 million last year.

The decline was the result of more targeted attacks, as well as the lack of major breaches to inflate the numbers.

Michael Brant, a 52-year-old railway worker in Columbus, Ohio, said the network outage prevents him from playing "Call of Duty" on a team with his 8-year-old grandson against potential online opponents, who have numbered above 150,000 at any one time.

smfh

zomgbbqftw said:
It's only the I, which almost no one reads. Lower readership than the Indy and the Guardian...
Still, tis a national. And Metro did it front yesterday. Worth noting, especially as it aims for a younger audience.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sato Koiji said:
Sonys image got a little kick in the ass today...

This shit made international news and everyone is scared FOR NO REASON!!!

People, wake up.
For no reason?

Personally, I'm not worried about my own data.

But this is undeniably serious... one of the most serious things to happen related to videogaming in a long time (I'd almost say "ever" - when else have games endangered people's real money/identity?).

yeah, i mean it's only the largest proprietary network intrusion ever. How is this even news?!

IT'S STILL GOOD, IT'S STILL GOOD, JUST A LITTLE HACKED

TriSwords

Neo Member
BocoDragon said:
For no reason?

But this is undeniably serious... one of the most serious things to happen related to videogaming in a long time (I'd almost say "ever" - when else have games endangered people's real money/identity]?).

Grand Theft Auto. It is corrupting the children, and making them violent.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
TriSwords said:
Grand Theft Auto. It is corrupting the children, and making them violent.
Touche.

I would have gone with WoW, though.

It steals your money and kills your real life identity :p

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Based on this thread at least I have learned ...

All other networks of other companies have better security, Sony obviously has the only hackable one.

The hacker(s) that hit the PSN are stupid kids with no skill further proving how crappy Sony's network security is.

If you have credit card issues in the last week, it is because of this hack even if you don't have a Sony system.

I own a PS3 and because of this hack I deserve free games, free cash, free PS+ service.

Sony will lose billions and billions of dollars and disappear as a company.

The media is having a slow week.

I think that is it....

Ickman3400 said:
That's a pretty awesome grandpa. I just wish he was teaching the kid to play better games.

Exactly. If he was playing something age-appropriate, he'd be one of the coolest grandpas on the block. But an 8 year old shouldn't be playing Black Ops. But that's another debate for another time. :)

Kyoufu

MoneyLaunderer said:
Exactly. If he was playing something age-appropriate, he'd be one of the coolest grandpas on the block. But an 8 year old shouldn't be playing Black Ops.

I played far worse shit when I was 8.

Just saying.

Hazelhurst

Zoe said:
Nobody is going to come forward. It is very illegal and will result in massive fines and jail time.
Surely, whoever was responsible for this would love some credit, a la Geohot. This hack may even trump anything Geohot has done. Fame will bring the hacker(s) to light.

BocoDragon said:
For no reason?

But this is undeniably serious... one of the most serious things to happen related to videogaming in a long time (I'd almost say "ever" - when else have games endangered people's real money/identity?).

Downplaying of this here doesn't mean jack to 99% of the people in this world.

If you walk up to a random person on the street and tell them that somebody now has their email, home address, birthdate, name, security question/answer, I'm pretty sure they won't say "Meh, you can get that stuff on the internet anyway."

Yes, there are people on the complete other end of the spectrum. However, there are completely rational people here that are worried. Claiming they're all "chicken littles" misses the point entirely. Privacy, despite advents of the Information Age, is still something that most people on this planet still hold close to their hearts. I know I do.

just got this email:

===================================

PlayStation(R)Network

Valued PlayStation(R)Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full
and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and
efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country,
email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login,
and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip),
and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may
have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your
dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have
been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit
card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have
provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity,
out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit
card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have
been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security number or other
personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information,
you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation
Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that
you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation
Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or
accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we
encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and
to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information
for those who wish to consider it:
- U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually
from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report,
visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

- We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S.
credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus
place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps
to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can
make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however,
that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you,
it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your
identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others
are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a
fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report,
please contact any one of the agencies listed below:

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division,
P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

- You may wish to visit the website of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at
www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania
Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect
yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice
on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or
suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General,
and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be
contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone
(877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney
General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202;
telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this
incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the
clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes
information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that
additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information.
Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is
our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any
additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

LEGAL
"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered
trademarks and "PS3" and "PlayStation Network" are
trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
(C) 2011 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404

Kyoufu said:
I played far worse shit when I was 8.

Just saying.

I guess I think back to when I was 8 and the SNES launched. Shit sure is different for kids in this gaming generation. I just think the kid would be better off with Mario until he at least hits double digits. As a parent myself, that's what I'm going to do when my son is old enough to game.

alr1ghtstart said:
consumer response to identity theft has become more muted in this day and age, for better or for worse. Although I find the entire thing fascinating, I've been a PSN member since '06 and, although it'd be an inconvenience, I trust my bank to take care of an issues that may arise.

I had my social security number stolen once and was effectively put to use by the thief. Was it a tragedy? Absolutely not, and that's because companies have recognized this kind of thing as a very real threat that needs particular attention.

Not that I didn't take typical password changing precautions and all that, but really...the society we live in is a Russian nesting doll of cyber worlds within cyber worlds within tangible ones. Your information is always at risk. Don't be stupid, but don't think it's going to ruin your damn life, either.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
That's a pretty awesome grandpa. I just wish he was teaching the kid to play better games.

Yeah...it's that Fire dude who posted in here saying he was selling all his PS3s on eBay because of this fiasco. He's a grandfather.

MoneyLaunderer said:
Exactly. If he was playing something age-appropriate, he'd be one of the coolest grandpas on the block. But an 8 year old shouldn't be playing Black Ops. But that's another debate for another time. :)

No I meant better quality games than COD. Get him on bad company 2 and teach him how to work with a team or something.

I'm not going to fault a parent/grandparent for letting a kid play what they want. That's what I was allowed to do and I grew up fine. Same thing with R rated movies, other than the ocassional nightmare after watching Halloween I was fine.

BocoDragon said:
For no reason?

People can change their CC infos immediately. The withdrawal of your account can be tracked back and even booked back if it was unwanted.

As for the identity part...what really can these "hackers" do with them? Visit you personally because they know where you live?

Sell your data to companies which try to sell you crap? Come on...you are smarter than that.

The only prob is that more companies probably got your infos if in fact the hackers dealt them away. Thats basically it.

Ickman3400 said:
No I meant better quality games than COD. Get him on bad company 2 and teach him how to work with a team or something.

I'm not going to fault a parent/grandparent for letting a kid play what they want. That's what I was allowed to do and I grew up fine. Same thing with R rated movies, other than the ocassional nightmare after watching Halloween I was fine.

I had nightmares from Halloween, too. Scary shit for a 10 year old. LOL Classic. And yeah, if little Timmy is gonna play a shooter, at least give him Killzone or BFBC2. Something that's good.

JonathanEx said:
Tomorrow's front page...

15980693.jpg

You gotta be shitting me.

Anyway, we discussed this in class today after talking about IP's, patents and copyrights. My professor mentioned how security is only going to become more and more in demand, he also mentioned the several other security and online attacks this year.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sato Koiji said:
As for the identity part...what really can these "hackers" do with them? Visit you personally because they know where you live?

Sell your data to companies which try to sell you crap? Come on...you are smarter than that.

The only prob is that more companies probably got your infos if in fact the hackers dealt them away. Thats basically it.

Identity theft is a massive problem. They can open up credit cards under your name and completely destroy your credit.

Hazelhurst

JetBlackPanda said:
is there some way Sony can have you change your password when the services goes back up? our profiles are stored locally correct? cant they authenticate that somehow and then have us create a new password right then?

edit: also how do you deal with bringing everyone online ? the servers are going to experience some crazy loads.
I know with Windows Server Active Directory you can set accounts to change password on next logon. However, I'm not sure what Sony uses for authentication. You would think they could do this.

ZZMitch

MoneyLaunderer said:
I had nightmares from Halloween, too. Scary shit for a 10 year old. LOL Classic. And yeah, if little Timmy is gonna play a shooter, at least give him Killzone or BFBC2. Something that's good.

Call of Duty is vastly superior to Killzone! BFBC2 rules all, however.

alr1ghtstart said:
Identity theft is a massive problem. They can open up credit cards under your name and completely destroy your credit.

Exactly. And getting charges reversed can be done, getting your credit rating recovered isn't so simple (if it can be done at all).

onQ123

Mr Pockets said:
Based on this thread at least I have learned ...

All other networks of other companies have better security, Sony obviously has the only hackable one.

The hacker(s) that hit the PSN are stupid kids with no skill further proving how crappy Sony's network security is.

If you have credit card issues in the last week, it is because of this hack even if you don't have a Sony system.

I own a PS3 and because of this hack I deserve free games, free cash, free PS+ service.

Sony will lose billions and billions of dollars and disappear as a company.

The media is having a slow week.

I think that is it....

in the last thread I learned of a crazy crazy place called PonyGaf my whole view on life will never be the same.

Zoibie

Sato Koiji said:
People can change their CC infos immediately. The withdrawal of your account can be tracked back and even booked back if it was unwanted.

The amount of info that was leaked from PSN is more than enough to steal your identity with.

alr1ghtstart said:

Dont you have to show them your ID if you want a new CC?

I mean some official documents only that particular person can have?

Zoe

alr1ghtstart said:

Good luck doing that without an SSN in this case though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so if i never entered any credit card info on psn am i 100% totally safe?

are people who did even worried at all?

ZZMitch

-COOLIO- said:

I am a little worried, but let's be real. Even if credit card info got out, there would be so many other people in my boat that it would be easy to cancel when I knew for sure I was in danger of fraud.

-COOLIO- said:

I took my CC off a little more than a month ago before my system died so I'm not terribly worried. Even if they got it through an archive I went ahead and changed the number.

As for the other info like name/address/zip code etc, my dad and I were searching a while back (i forget where) and we found all that info available publicly online anyway. If you've ever bought something before chances are a company has/had your basic info and sold it off. So I'm not too worried about that.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ZZMitch said:
I am a little worried, but let's be real. Even if credit card info got out, there would be so many other people in my boat that it would be easy to cancel when I knew for sure I was in danger of fraud.
unless you were at the top of the list.

no, i guess your right, but someones going to have to get surprise attacked first.

-COOLIO- said:

Not about CC info because the only credit card I used expired. My email got taken though.

vilmer_

-COOLIO- said:

Not worried. Nothing has suggested to me for certain that credit card fraud is, or has been committed at this point as a result of this h4ck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom