• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mama Robotnik said:
sonyplosion-1.gif

Beautiful. This thread has provided some great gifs and images from here and abroad (the Penny Arcade KB mockery was hilarious...until it got reposted 50 times).

It's a good break from many of the "nothing to see here" (mainly from the same 2 or 3 posters) and "the world is ending" posts (from a much more diverse group of posters).

Just got my UK account email.

Logged into my online banking, nothing untoward so far, but I will check again tomorrow. I may report the card stolen just in case though, not sure if I need the hassle, but I do want to be safe. I have to go on a business trip soon and I need to have my credit card for spending while out there and a new one won't arrive in time and if I report this one stolen it will stop working. D:

equap

Banned
BeeDog said:
Maybe I'm petty, but I want the mail simply for the fact that it somehow acknowledges my registered e-mail address. :p Would feel... safer, I guess.
I feel safe by reporting I lost my CC, I should get a new card tomorrow.

tim.mbp said:
Freecreditreport.com automatically enrolls you in a paid monitoring service. You will be charged if you don't cancel within 7 days. People should avoid using at all costs.

Annualcreditreport.com is the legit website mandated by law to give US citizens a free annual credit report.
Just wanted to requote this so enough people see it. FreeCreditReport.com is a fucking scam.

BocoDragon said:
I just got my email in the last hour. More are on the way to others.

I have no doubt: any email ever signed up to PSN will get the Sony warning email.

(or at least, they should all be considered equally compromised).

I'd like to know in what order they're sending them. It's obviously not alphabetically by Username or date created.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Mudkips said:
Coworker's credit card was stolen because of this, and he had 5 large charges made against his account in the past few days. Good job, Sony.

Both EULAs and terms of service agreements have to be legal. You can't legally agree to a ToS that says you'll sell Sony your first born. Much of the language in the majority of EULAs and ToSs that game publishers, as well as Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, put out is ridiculous and illegal. Illegal clauses are unenforceable regardless of how many things you click or sign saying you agree to them.

Actually you can sell your first born to Sony. People get paid for surrogacy all the time. Sacrificing your first born is still out of the question tough.

It's a coincidence.

And you guys need to chill about getting the e-mail/not getting the e-mail.

It's painfully obvious they are sending it to everyone.

Mungular

dLMN8R said:
You know what? Yeah, fuck that hacker, but fuck you too Sony, you incompetent piece of crap company. How the hell do you screw everything up from a random number generator to having a competent web security back-end? Just plain irresponsibility.

If this requires me to go and change all of my passwords, e-mail addresses, and logins again, just like the Gawker breach did last year, I'd be happy never buying another Sony product again.
i couldnt have said it better my friend

Lince

Banned
well I'm in Spain and received the email like 7 hours ago... a literal and poor translation job of course. For those of you that still don't know Spain is not South of Mexico ; )

server from where it was sent:
Code:
news@emails.eu.playstation.com / news.3O6DP3.11632482@emails.eu.playstation.com

NullPointer said:
Just wanted to requote this so enough people see it. FreeCreditReport.com is a fucking scam.

Also for UK people, checking you credit score too often can lead to a downgrade. So, unless you are absolutely certain that you have been a victim of identity theft don't bother with Experian. Not sure if that is true in the US, but it definitely is here.

BeeDog

equap said:
I feel safe by reporting I lost my CC, I should get a new card tomorrow.

Already filed for a new card number, and changed all my website passwords (even many that didn't share the password with PSN!). :p

*maximum paranoia mode*

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Lince said:
well I'm in Spain and received the email like 7 hours ago... a literal and poor translation job of course. For those of you that still don't know Spain is not South of Mexico ; )

Yeah they did a shit job of translating my Canadian one too. Seriously Sony.

Dipswitch

FINALBOSS said:
It's a coincidence.

And you guys need to chill about getting the e-mail/not getting the e-mail.

It's painfully obvious they are sending it to everyone.

They appear to be customizing them in some cases based on your location. The one I received contained a bunch of info regarding the complex privacy laws in my specific state.

It's probably going to take them a while to get them out to all regions if they're taking regional privacy laws into consideration.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
zomgbbqftw said:
Also for UK people, checking you credit score too often can lead to a downgrade. So, unless you are absolutely certain that you have been a victim of identity theft don't bother with Experian. Not sure if that is true in the US, but it definitely is here.
It's true everywhere, from what I know.

It's because someone who has good credit management skills wouldn't need to check.. they know they're good. Someone who might have problems would check into it more often... so goes the theory... so they reduce the score a little bit.

But I know that many people are allowed to check their report once a year for free (depending on country) and that may not dock the score...

I assume this has already made the rounds?

Hackers run up debt for PlayStation user

An Adelaide PlayStation user whose private details were held by the Sony Corporation has had $2,000 of unauthorised charges run up on his credit card in recent days.

It could be the first documented case of fraud in the wake of the theft by hackers of the private details of 77 million PlayStation users worldwide.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/28/3202046.htm?section=entertainment

Even if it's unrelated, this sort of stuff will do irreperable damage to sony, kind of like how a rape accusation can never be brushed off.

Paznos

So before the attack on the PSN no ones credit cards in the past several months have seen unauthorized charges on it? everything was fine until now? lol, if the credit card numbers weren't hacked how are people blaming it on Sony?

Jburton said:
Speculative, it even says so in the article.

"Although we can’t be 100% sure if this is related to Sony’s breach, this is a timely reminder to be vigilant with your details, and contact your bank the second you see any suspicious activity on your account."

Scaremongering.

I suspect they want people to forget their colossal fuck up really badly.

Vamphuntr said:
Read the thread before posting. It's even on this page.

When I clicked reply it was not there. Excuse me for the pace of the thread.

And I will repeat: Even if it's unrelated, this sort of stuff will do irreperable damage to sony, kind of like how a rape accusation can never be brushed off.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Paznos said:
So before the attack on the PSN no ones credit cards in the past several months have seen unauthorized charges on it? everything was fine until now? lol, if the credit card numbers weren't hacked how are people blaming it on Sony?
Sony: "While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time,
we cannot rule out the possibility."

That says to me "yeah, it's very, very possible that credit cards were stolen... but don't panic".

While there is no guarantee that every PSN user's credit card was frauded specifically because of this incident, it's incredibly probable that many people will see credit card fraud issues related to this, now and in the future.

JonathanEx said:
Tomorrow's front page...

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Apr/Week4/15980693.jpg [/
IMG][/QUOTE]
It's only the I, which almost no one reads. Lower readership than the Indy and the Guardian...

Hex

Banned
Choc said:

Did you ignore this part?
Although we can’t be 100% sure if this is related to Sony’s breach, this is a timely reminder to be vigilant with your details, and contact your bank the second you see any suspicious activity on your account.

I am not saying it is or it isn't but it is really pretty easy for anyone to say that they have been hit with stuff like this and it seems sites do not seem to be asking for any proof before typing up their stories.
My mother who is barely ever online and I can assure you has no contact with the PSN just went through a three week mess because her debit card somehow got used on the other side of the country.
It happens.
I will say it again, I really have no idea how they get away with calling it "common" sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom