• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoJer

Zoibie said:
"We’re not resetting accounts or anything like that, so when PSN is restored and you log on, everything will be as you left it."

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/27/clarifying-a-few-psn-points/comment-page-2/#comments

So what's to prevent hackers from stealing the accounts then, as they happen to have your username and password?

As I said before, while I really doubt it's likely they will (since there are so many accounts), but it is possible he might dump the info on a website for all to see, and people might grab some.

Especially if they grabbed part of the CC info (like the last 4 numbers). They would just steal accounts that have a CC added to them, because clearly that have stuff bought for them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Kagari said:

this should have been done long ago, but it's nice to see.

DiscoJer said:
So what's to prevent hackers from stealing the accounts then, as they happen to have your username and password?

As I said before, while I really doubt it's likely they will (since there are so many accounts), but it is possible he might dump the info on a website for all to see, and people might grab some.

Especially if they grabbed part of the CC info (like the last 4 numbers). They would just steal accounts that have a CC added to them, because clearly that have stuff bought for them.
email link confirmation?

Zoe

DiscoJer said:

You're most likely going to have to reset your password via a unique web link.

FINALBOSS

Banned
DiscoJer said:

Because everyone and their mother are aware of what's going on....so when they login when PSN comes back up most people will be changing their PW.

IchigoSharingan said:
no tos is legally binding.

Terms of Service are generally binding, you are thinking of EULAs (End User Licence Agreement) which are not considered binding in many US states and many EU countries. Once agreed to, the ToS for a private network/club constitutes a legally binding contract between the user and the network/club owner. If you change you mind at any point about the ToS they have the legal right to throw you out of their network/club.

I'm pretty sure they have a clause in their ToS that no data they keep is 100% safe, so any lawsuits won't get anywhere. They will probably have to make good with the credit card merchants etc... but personal suits are dead ends.

tim.mbp

Krakatoa said:
freecreditreport.com lets you get one free report a year.

Freecreditreport.com automatically enrolls you in a paid monitoring service. You will be charged if you don't cancel within 7 days. People should avoid using at all costs.

Annualcreditreport.com is the legit website mandated by law to give US citizens a free annual credit report.

RyanDG

zomgbbqftw said:
Terms of Service are generally binding, you are thinking of EULAs (End User Licence Agreement) which are not considered binding in many US states and many EU countries. Once agreed to, the ToS for a private network/club constitutes a legally binding contract between the user and the network/club owner. If you change you mind at any point about the ToS they have the legal right to throw you out of their network/club.

I'm pretty sure they have a clause in their ToS that no data they keep is 100% safe, so any lawsuits won't get anywhere. They will probably have to make good with the credit card merchants etc... but personal suits are dead ends.

Actually they don't.

http://us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/termsserviceagreemt/

Hex

Banned
lawblob said:
NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams had a segment about this tonight. Shit got real.

Shit got real the day people could not get online.
The idiotic media who are now picking at the story to boost their shit stories because I guess Charlie Sheen has not said anything news worthy or whatever other crap they fill their news casts up with.
Then there are the idiots in this thread who every time there is a new news story saying the same thing and repeating the same quotes feel the need to link it because it brings some vast clarity to the whole thing all of the sudden.

StuBurns said:
Sony would have told us if they were going to be wiping accounts, no way that's happening.

I really wouldn't be surprised, and I also wouldn't rule anything out at this point

in response to the above...shit has been realer than real since the fateful eve of 4/20 itself

lol51

zomgbbqftw said:

If sony violated privacy laws a ToS will not protect them...

Mudkips

Banned
Coworker's credit card was stolen because of this, and he had 5 large charges made against his account in the past few days. Good job, Sony.

zomgbbqftw said:

Both EULAs and terms of service agreements have to be legal. You can't legally agree to a ToS that says you'll sell Sony your first born. Much of the language in the majority of EULAs and ToSs that game publishers, as well as Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, put out is ridiculous and illegal. Illegal clauses are unenforceable regardless of how many things you click or sign saying you agree to them.

Actually you can sell your first born to Sony. People get paid for surrogacy all the time. Sacrificing your first born is still out of the question tough.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hex said:
The idiotic media who are now picking at the story to boost their shit stories because I guess Charlie Sheen has not said anything news worthy or whatever other crap they fill their news casts up with.
Then there are the idiots in this thread who every time there is a new news story saying the same thing and repeating the same quotes feel the need to link it because it brings some vast clarity to the whole thing all of the sudden.
cmon_son.jpg

They had a massive data leak. That is news. A videogame network being down is not really mainstream news.

StuBurns

Banned
anonymousAversa said:
I really wouldn't be surprised, and I also wouldn't rule anything out at this point

in response to the above...shit has been realer than real since the fateful eve of 4/20 itself
I can't see any reason they wouldn't have told us yesterday if that were the case. The only thing splitting up the bad news does is create a second wave of terrible PR. They needed to rip the bandaid off in a single take.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Canada here. Got my email of doom. Everyone's gonna get the email.

Hex said:
Credit card and identity theft > > > > > > > > > > > > ... > > > > > > > > > > > not being able to play Portal 2 co-op

Linkified

I'm from the UK rang up my bank asked for them to block and reissue a card. And now I have a sinking feeling she just ordered a new copy of the same card I have.

BocoDragon

Metalmurphy said:
Not really. I've only gotten in one of my 7 emails.
I just got my email in the last hour. More are on the way to others.

I have no doubt: any email ever signed up to PSN will get the Sony warning email.

(or at least, they should all be considered equally compromised).

Hex

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Canada here. Got my email of doom. Everyone's gonna get the email.

Credit card and identity theft > > > > > > > > > > > > ... > > > > > > > > > > > not being able to play Portal 2 co-op

The signs were there from the beginning that something was up much bigger than downtime, and if any journalists had the stones to look into it we might have had some information sooner.

BeeDog

equap said:
I haven't got one yet but i don't really care. It's not like the email is going to tell me anything new.

Maybe I'm petty, but I want the mail simply for the fact that it somehow acknowledges my registered e-mail address. :p Would feel... safer, I guess.

Lince

Banned
well I have an insurance for my credit cards so in case of fraud I get 5 times the unauthorized amount charged, so yeah, come on hackers just buy that neat $2k 3D Bravia, you know you want it and it's all on me :D

Apart from that I decided to change my passwords for Xbox Live and Steam since I was dumb enough to use the same email and password for the 3 services (PSN, Live and Steam). Lesson learned.

with PSN down I'm just playing a lot of Gears of Wars 3 Beta and some single player games such as Dissidia 012 and the 3rd Birthday on my PSP, also replaying Valkyria Chronicles and Chrono Trigger for the 10th time so PSN can wait, I'm not in a hurry here. Take your sweet time Sony, I don't believe we're getting cross-game chat or anything special as a compensation, maybe some forgotten PSN game nobody wants (the likes of Pain lol).

Kyoufu

BeeDog said:
Maybe I'm petty, but I want the mail simply for the fact that it somehow acknowledges my registered e-mail address. :p Would feel... safer, I guess.

I'm guessing you're in Europe. SCEE haven't sent their emails out yet.

BocoDragon

Hex said:
The signs were there from the beginning that something was up much bigger than downtime, and if any journalists had the stones to look into it we might have had some information sooner.
The signs were there from the start that something really bad happened to PSN... but that's not mainstream news.

If the story was "PSN broken forever", that's not as big of mainstream news as "identity theft of 77 million people".. which is something even your grandma knows is serious business.

Kyoufu said:
I'm guessing you're in Europe. SCEE haven't sent their emails out yet.
And as I mentioned, I'm in Canada (likely handled by SCEA) and got my email only 45 minutes ago. There are many places which are still getting these over the next hours and days.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fatghost said:
Best bank in Canada IMO.
Yeah, they're pretty amazing. Even gave me the numbers for Equifax and TransUnion to report this (and what to say... kinda).

Got my e-mail for my Canadian account... and one for my Japanese account (though that one was just for demos). Spectacular.

I know that from now on, I'm just going to use prepaid cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom