• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Dreamgazer said:
So anyone out there still want to defend the hackers? lol.

I'll defend the homebrew guys anytime. This is completely on sony's head. If they made it possible that someone can get into their system by hacking a console, then that's a pretty big fuck up.

snack

One a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest, and 10 the highest, how bad for you feel for Sony right now?

I would say 10.

Dizzy

Banned
Cruzader said:
What? What was that? Cfw wont affect honest users? Hmm? Its only for otherOS?

We are freaking out? Making a big deal? Whats that, your mkv is more important? Hmmm. No proof this will disrupt psn and online? Yea...
Sad but true.

BeeDog

Adamm said:
The encrypted list was easily obtainable from torrent sites

Would sony really store CC/password info unencrypted?

Thanks for the info. As said, I hope knowledgeable people keep their eyes open and inform the rest of us sheep when needed.

heyf00L

Spooks said:
So I just so happened to remove my cc info from psn a couple weeks before this all happened. Am I still fuuucked?
If Sony actually removed it from their database. They should have, but it might have still been in there just with a "disabled" flag or something. You could still be compromised.

Fixed1979

Not to blame the end user here, but I see lots of complaints about passwords and security questions being taken. Do people not use different questions and passwords for different sites? I thought that was kinda under Protect Yourself 101.

Either way shitty deals all around, I don't think it's the Apocalypse as some are making it out to be. So far I'm clean on the CC area and there hasn't been a lot of complaints, although I'm sure that will change once Sony send out that e-mail and people actually check their credit card statements. Hopefully the damage is minor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm a poor college student, so I'm not that worried, but I did go ahead and request a new debit card. I guess they have my information, but my bank's really good about notifying me of stuff like that, so that's taken care of.

Will probably be removing most of my credit info from everyone not named Amazon though.

dream said:
That says it all, doesn't it?

Poor Sony. It's just not fair to them.
Its not fair to any of us but putting all the blame on Sony is uncalled for at this moment. Im saying the hyperbole in this thread equating it to an apocalypse. Visa and my Credit Union have my back.

Sony's blog post indicates they'll be emailing this information to all registered PSN users. Has anyone received this email? (I haven't.)

StuBurns said:
How can they reset passwords automatically? How do they get the new ones to us?

They could do it through email. I know some sites i've signed up to won't allow me to set it initially. They just send a temp password after I sign up and then I can log in and change it to what I want.

STG

KBeEZ.jpg

Cyborg

The Lamonster said:
Sony fucked up bigtime. What a bunch of asses. I wish I never even bought a PS3 now, it's not like I ever played games on it anyway, until MK came along.
Dont cry baby......

Interfectum

This needs to be said again, some of you need to be less worried about CC info and more worried about identity theft. watch your credit report for the next couple months for sure.

ElRenoRaven

alr1ghtstart said:
Q.5 How many were affected? How many per each region? What is the latest status of PlayStation Network registered account/ operating countries.

Our investigation indicates that all PlayStation Network/ Qriocity accounts may have been affected.

WOW!!!

EVERYONE!!!!!!!! You are fucking kidding me. Seriously you have to be fucking kidding me.

BeeDog

StuBurns said:
How can they reset passwords automatically? How do they get the new ones to us?

They still have our e-mail addresses, and they should assume we still have control over our inboxes. So password resetting shouldn't cause too many problems.

Sullichin

Really surprised that so many people are canceling their credit cards already... I understand the concern, but it seems to be overreacting a bit. Also, you can request a new card # without canceling your card.

Carl

My debit card doesn't appear to have been charged, so that's good.

Can't remember what password i used for PSN though :|

VALIS

Haven't bought anything on PSN in years so I think the CC I used is expired now, but still, what a massive fuck up and PR nightmare for Sony. Even worse if the nightly news shows think this is worthy of a mention.

dc89

I feel sorry for the random addresses in Japan, Hong Kong and NYC that I used to make my international PSN accounts.

I will keep a eye on my cards over the next few weeks.

dream

GreekWolf said:
Hackers should receive the lion's share of the rage, that much is certain.

I can't agree with that. When your business is dependent on obtaining and storing personal information from your customers, you encrypt that shit and keep it secure.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
If you guys use the same PSN login/password with other accounts, say "WoW" you might want to change your pass.

Brandson said:
Presumably many users will not be able to login instantaneously once PSN is re-activated, allowing hackers to login for them, change their password and keep the account.
Passwords are never saved in normal text in a database (people who do that deserve to be shot). They are encrypted, so the hackers would need to crack the code to get your real password. If they can do that, I don't know. Depends on how Sony encrypted the passwords I guess.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They could do it through email. I know some sites i've signed up to won't allow me to set it initially. They just send a temp password after I sign up and then I can log in and change it to what I want.
But our email addresses are on our PSN accounts, surely they're not exactly safe either.

Sporran

OmniAvenger said:
Sony's blog post indicates they'll be emailing this information to all registered PSN users. Has anyone received this email? (I haven't.)

No, they tried to send the 75mil emails, but have gotten their mail servers on spam blacklists, it only gets better for Sony.

btw im joking!!!

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
BeeDog said:
I'm just wondering, when the Gawker shit occured, did people actually see the password/account lists floating around? If the same shit will happen here, I hope good community members will notify of that happening.

Yep you could download it

captmcblack said:
I had my debit card in there. :(

Gotta change my password there, and get on that 1Password stuff too in general.
Gotta disassociate my debit card as well - and maybe get a new one altogether.

*sigh*
If you were using a debit card, as opposed to credit (or your debit through a credit network provider), definitely be wary of this. You are only protected to the amount stated in your bank agreement. These amounts differ widely, and can make you liable for as little as $50 to who knows in unauthorized charges. CCs are very much different in this respect.

tim.mbp said:
Not taking any chances. Called my bank and they put a stop on my debit card. New one issued, but might take up to two weeks to arrive. Thanks Sony!

Same here, 5 - 7 days, but better safe than sorry. Even if it was a CC, I'd still be getting that number changed.

bob page

dc89 said:
I feel sorry for the random addresses in Japan, Hong Kong and NYC that I used to make my international PSN accounts.

I will keep a eye on my cards over the next few weeks.
LOL, I forgot about those. I always found some random address on google maps and used that. Poor saps.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Brandson said:
If Sony has no way of distinguishing legit PSN account owners from identity thieves upon login, does that mean Sony is going to have to wipe all PSN accounts and start clean? Presumably many users will not be able to login instantaneously once PSN is re-activated, allowing hackers to login for them, change their password and keep the account. Alternatively, if you are able to login fast enough to change your password, couldn't a hacker just call Sony later claiming their account was stolen and get Sony to change your password so only the hacker has access anyway? If they have all your info, there's no way for Sony to distinguish between legit customers and hackers. Deleting all PSN accounts seems like the only way forward at this point.

They'll probably do a password reset through email. If you used the same pass for psn and your email, well you're fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom