• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is horrible, I'm constantly told by everyone to keep my stuff safe but whenever shit happens it's always seems to be them who screw it up for me.

Barrett2

JB1981 said:
Sony should provide free credit monitoring servivce to every affected user, for at least a year.

They have to under US law. I assume they also have to under EU law.

Hence, why this will cost them hundreds of millions of dollars....

Enco

I think I had removed my card details a looong time ago. I hope so anyway.

I put up a fake DOB and I'm not sure if my full name is on there. The only thing anyone can possibly get is my address. Come at me.

Fuck the hackers (mainly) and fuck Sony.

And this is why I never plan to tie my credit card information to any kind of online account. The compromise of address, name, birthday is annoying, though I doubt any major consequences will come from it.
I have separate passwords for my e-mails and other important accounts like that, so I'm not worried about my password being leaked.

Jerk

Banned
StuBurns said:
But our email addresses are on our PSN accounts, surely they're not exactly safe either.

One would hope that most people have different passwords on their Email accounts.

Right?

I changed my PSN password to a unique on after the Gawker incident (which I was not affected with). My credit card also has a different security number and expiry date since I last updated my PSN info.

I feel kinda happy.

Sullichin said:
Really surprised that so many people are canceling their credit cards already... I understand the concern, but it seems to be overreacting a bit. Also, you can request a new card # without canceling your card.

And most - if not all - credit card companies will reverse any fraudulent charges. Just calm down and keep and eye on your bills for anything weird.

obonicus

Brandson said:
If Sony has no way of distinguishing legit PSN account owners from identity thieves upon login, does that mean Sony is going to have to wipe all PSN accounts and start clean? Presumably many users will not be able to login instantaneously once PSN is re-activated, allowing hackers to login for them, change their password and keep the account. Alternatively, if you are able to login fast enough to change your password, couldn't a hacker just call Sony later claiming their account was stolen and get Sony to change your password so only the hacker has access anyway? If they have all your info, there's no way for Sony to distinguish between legit customers and hackers. Deleting all PSN accounts seems like the only way forward at this point.

They could reset all passwords. I highly, highly, highly doubt they'll delete all PSN accounts. Especially since there's very little you can do with a PSN account outside of playing the games on it. The person/people who did this probably don't care much about video-games; the damage is the personal info out there, not the PSN/Qriocity account.

FINALBOSS

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
They'll probably do a password reset through email. If you used the same pass for psn and your email, well you're fucked.

Talk about overreacting.

My e-mail pw and PSN pw are the same exact thing and I'm not changing shit.

cnizzle06

Banned
So-ny

They take your mind again,
Does it feel like a trial,
Does it trouble your mind
the way they trouble mine?

Vilify

Don't even try

Nightmare. Hopefully the details are all encrypted, that's how we store data so I would be shocked if that wasn't the case at a company like Sony. That would minimise the damage at least.

Just a shame that we're all going to have to be constantly worried about identity theft now.

Patryn

Thank you Sony for informing me in e-mail that my data was stolen! Now I can surely remember exactly WHICH e-mail address I used to sign up for your stupid account!

hiryu

So how long until the class action lawsuit starts to provide me with credit protection and monitoring for the next five years and where do I sign up?

jaxpunk

Fixed1979 said:
Not to blame the end user here, but I see lots of complaints about passwords and security questions being taken. Do people not use different questions and passwords for different sites? I thought that was kinda under Protect Yourself 101.

So when a website asks you your mothers maiden name... you have more than one answer? How about your high school? So how's that 101 working out now?

StuBurns said:
How can they reset passwords automatically? How do they get the new ones to us?
They send you a link to your email to reset the password again.

I've seen this happen before when NCsoft servers got compromised.

RobbieNick

Damn. I just got a new debit card cuz I lost my old one. Now this shit happens. Luckily, my bank monitors my purchases very carefully.

Sony's gonna get sued up the ass for this. I can easily see a class-action lawsuit happening.

So I have friends that bought PS3's in the beginning for the wow factor. They've been collecting dust for a few years now. Should I be letting them know about this? I'm really tired and don't feel like getting involved. Perhaps it would be better to see what happens and maybe I'll have a story for GAF in the coming days.

Curufinwe

tim.mbp said:
Not taking any chances. Called my bank and they put a stop on my debit card. New one issued, but might take up to two weeks to arrive. Thanks Sony!

I'm going to go to my bank after work today. Apparently I can get a new one on the spot.

darkwing

lawblob said:
They have to under US law. I assume they also have to under EU law.

Hence, why this will cost them hundreds of millions of dollars....

yup, this is why Sony won't ever recover from this, hundreds of millions of dollars

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well, this crap is going into max mode now. It's not going to stop at the Video Game news websites either. It's going to go on public news soon. Sony might be in a bind soon.

StuBurns said:
But our email addresses are on our PSN accounts, surely they're not exactly safe either.

Yeah, your address to your email but not your password (unless you use the same password for every account).

daffy

Banned
snack said:
One a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest, and 10 the highest, how bad for you feel for Sony right now?

I would say 10.
9 because while they do deserve some blame for not expecting to be hacked after going after hackers, the fact that consumers will overlook the hackers themselves and hold Sony accountable for it all is saddening. No one will go after the hacker community.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
lawblob said:
I attended a seminar once where they talked about this. I had no idea there were so many costs associated. Can you even imagine informing the insurance carrier? Oh hi, turns out we had a data breach... all 75,000,000 accounts.... in 40 different countries.

Sweet Jesus.

We are talking about 9 figures, easy. Sony's also going to have to answer why it waited so long to inform people (which it really hasn't even done yet). I mean, I absolutely know why they waited - if you have to disclose (based on a number of factors), then the costs go from thousands of dollars to millions instantly. Every company bends over backwards to find a way to not have to disclose.

The costs are ridiculous. Some states allow you to notify people electronically - thank goodness for Sony. Other states do not (unless they've changed their laws - constantly changing area of law). I am pretty sure Sony is going to just email everyone, offer credit services, and whatever remedies that state/country mandates, and pay any associated fines. The legal bills are gonna be huge :)

Keyser Soze said:
I changed my PSN password to a unique on after the Gawker incident (which I was not affected with). My credit card also has a different security number and expiry date since I last updated my PSN info.

I feel kinda happy.
AeYxX.gif

(For old time's sake)

3rdman

Cruzader said:
What? What was that? Cfw wont affect honest users? Hmm? Its only for otherOS?

We are freaking out? Making a big deal? Whats that, your mkv is more important? Hmmm. No proof this will disrupt psn and online? Yea...
LOL really? First and foremost, your anger should first be directed squarely at Sony for (1) having such a shit security that they fear that everyone's personal data has been compromised and (2) because they took a week to tell their customers (an act of negligence which may very well be illegal!).

There is no proof that those involved with hacking the PS3 has anything to do with what happened but that won't stop people from speculating, of course.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
ClosingADoor said:
Passwords are never saved in normal text in a database (people who do that deserve to be shot). They are encrypted, so the hackers would need to crack the code to get your real password. If they can do that, I don't know. Depends on how Sony encrypted the passwords I guess.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Sony encrypted the passwords with "0000".

What a fucking mess.

RPGCrazied

I really wish the people would get banned for the snarky comments. If it doesn't affect you, shut the fuck up. This is serious. Some hackers could very well have our address's, CC info, names, basically steal our identity if they want to.

I think we have every right to overreact.

BeeDog

If you were stupid enough to use the same PW as your registered e-mail address, then the joke's on you. But at the same time, I seeeeriously doubt any malicious users will manage to pair up and compromise your PSN account this way, seeing as just how many there are out there.

dream

Krauser Kat said:
Its not fair to any of us but putting all the blame on Sony is uncalled for at this moment. Im saying the hyperbole in this thread equating it to an apocalypse. Visa and my Credit Union have my back.

When VISA puts a hold on your credit card because of suspicious activity, that's an inconvenience to you that shouldn't happen. When someone tries to open a line of credit in your name because they have all the information they need and you get a call to verify it, that's an inconvenience to you that shouldn't happen. And that's Sony's fault for exposing your information.

StuBurns

Banned
Jerk said:
One would hope that most people have different passwords on their Email accounts.

Right?
That's true, also I see less reason to want access to someone's email address, I guess it's a reasonable solution.

Takao

Banned
The fact they said SOE was also attacked shows that this wasn't Sony's security failing at a regular attempt. Some smucks clearly had an aim and weren't giving up until they got what they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom