• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

ZZMitch said:
PSN was hacked, therefore Sony fucked up.

Nothing is unhackable with time and effort. PSN might have had great security and it still would've been hacked eventually if hackers are determined. A 100% secure system is a myth.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Dreams-Visions said:
I'll just say this: people love their game console manufacturers and will downplay even the worst of offenses.

This exactly. There really is no depth to how apologists on Gaf will debase themselves for the sake of their favorite toy company. Bravo for all the repeat performances.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ZZMitch said:
PSN was hacked, therefore Sony fucked up.
This guy here, the expert has arrived everyone!

The main reason it was hacked was not by Sony's will. You can argue playground and say them guys reap what they sow but it's BS for the customers who get screwed in all this. And that never was their intent.

ZZMitch

Averon said:
Nothing is unhackable with time and effort. PSN might have had great security and it still would've been hacked eventually if hackers are determined. A 100% secure system is a myth.

People say this, then I wonder why something like the us defense network or something hasn't been hacked (maybe it has?). I mean I bet a bunch of hackers would love to have a go at that sometime!

hauton

What we're talking about is due diligence - whether Sony took reasonable steps to ensure the security of the data it held.

Unless there is compelling evidence to suggest that Sony was aware of its network vulnerabilities and actively disregarded them, there's nothing to suggest Sony was acting improperly.

As long as there is evidence that Sony had a framework for network security in place and functioning, then its failure is an unfortunate one, but ultimately not criminal.

Jburton

Banned
ZZMitch said:
People say this, then I wonder why something like the us defense network or something hasn't been hacked (maybe it has?). I mean I bet a bunch of hackers would love to have a go at that sometime!

I am sure they have, those hackers on FBI wanted lists don't get there for hacking payphones.

ZZMitch

hauton said:
What we're talking about is due diligence - whether Sony took reasonable steps to ensure the security of the data it held.

Unless there is compelling evidence to suggest that Sony was aware of its network vulnerabilities and actively disregarded them, there's nothing to suggest Sony was acting improperly.

As long as there is evidence that Sony had a framework for network security in place and functioning, then its failure is an unfortunate one, but ultimately not criminal.

I don't mean criminally, I just think that Sony has let me down as a consumer. I understand that servers get hacked and that no one is safe, but Sony is the only company that has ever lost my personal information so I guess it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

hauton

ZZMitch said:
Every day so-called top secret information is stolen from various governments by various government and non-government entities.

China and USA are engaged in one of the biggest active wars in the world - one that's fought entirely over cyberspace.

It sounds Hollywood, but it's also true.

So... has Sony said anything more about potential CC info being taken? I have seen nothing but "doesn't appear to be compromised" from them yet I keep seeing people talk about weird charges on their cards.

Speevy

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
This exactly. There really is no depth to how apologists on Gaf will debase themselves for the sake of their favorite toy company. Bravo for all the repeat performances.

If there were another company which offered comparable, reliable console technology with a reputation for getting content to that platform, I might be all over it right about now.

As it is my Xbox is dead in the closet, my PS3 is scared to go online, and I haven't touched my Wii in a year.

JaseMath

ZZMitch said:
I don't mean criminally, I just think that Sony has let me down as a consumer. I understand that servers get hacked and that no one is safe, but Sony is the only company that has ever lost my personal information so I guess it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I don't mind so much that the PSN got hacked; it might have been inevitable sooner or later. I'm just bothered that Sony waited so long before warning people that their personal information might have been stolen.

ZZMitch

Speevy said:
If there were another company which offered comparable, reliable console technology with a reputation for getting content to that platform, I might be all over it right about now.

As it is my Xbox is dead in the closet, my PS3 is scared to go online, and I haven't touched my Wii in a year.

Time to buy a PC!

LowParry

Bumblebeetuna said:
So... has Sony said anything more about potential CC info being taken? I have seen nothing but "doesn't appear to be compromised" from them yet I keep seeing people talk about weird charges on their cards.

Read the Q&A on the main page sir :)

LiquidMetal14

JasonMCG said:
I don't mind so much that the PSN got hacked; it might have been inevitable sooner or later. I'm just bothered that Sony waited so long before warning people that their personal information was stolen.
They did not know the extent. That is why they shut it down instead of creating a panic over something that they did not know yet.

JasonMCG said:
I don't mind so much that the PSN got hacked; it might have been inevitable sooner or later. I'm just bothered that Sony waited so long before warning people that their personal information might have been stolen.

And again, according to them and the security report they had done they didn't know until the day before they told everyone. That's fine to me given the scale of this and having to coordinate all of Sony all over the globe.

Jburton

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:

Really?

I think that a lot of people are not over exaggerating, thinking objectively and don't have an axe to grind with the respective company.

As for the favourite toy company jibe, a lot of people on GAF are here because they like the output from said 'toy' companies.

You do yourself and others down with that crap, you are on a forum where people talk about their favourite games and the latest news about their favourite 'toy' company.

Are you as sad as you implied others were with your post?

Raistlin

statham said:
I say laugh, but again instead of making fun of me, why dont you challenge me.
Come at me bro.

At this point we have no evidence that this due to some sort of negligence. Also, you act as though there is no precedence.

Let me put it this way. If someone stole your car ... and let's assume for a second you aren't a git that left the doors unlocked and keys in the ignition ... should we be calling you out as having fucked up? How about someone breaks into a business and steals shit, and it employed industry standard (or better) security ... did the business fuck up? Again, assuming they didn't forget to activate the security system and lock the doors?

Maybe we should actually wait until there's enough information before blaming those who may be the victim?

People can feel free to bitch about how Sony has handled PR for this, but that's completely unrelated to what you seem to be bitching about.

Raistlin said:
Come at me bro.

At this point we have no evidence that this due to some sort of negligence. Also, you act as though there is no precedence.

Let me put it this way. If someone stole your car ... and let's assume for a second you aren't a git that left the doors unlocked and keys in the ignition ... should we be calling you out as having fucked up? How about someone breaks into a business and steals shit, and it employed industry standard (or better) security ... did the business fuck up? Again, assuming they didn't forget to activate the security system and lock the doors?

Maybe we should actually wait until there's enough information before blaming those who may be the victim?

Because it's so easy to blame them?

I agree with your post 100%

Eric C

baekshi said:
Does anyone have a information from Sony Korea?

The social security numbers.....

Jburton said:
Nothing released so far from what I can tell.

Are social security numbers required for PSN sign ups in Korea?

I think the equivalent to SSN is required to sign up to almost ANYTHING online in South Korea. I remember trying to join some forum to download something a few years ago and I couldn't.

LiquidMetal14

Raistlin said:
Come at me bro.

People can feel free to bitch about how Sony has handled PR for this, but that's completely unrelated to what you seem to be bitching about.
Yes, this is a rational response. Not some pent up nerd rage or just simple irrationality like some exhibit here. I've always felt that Sony was more of a victim and it's going to cost them more than these idiot hackers who try to prove a point.

Shaneus

Raistlin said:
People aren't complaining about the car being stolen. They're complaining about having their wallets in plain sight in said car with *them* being stolen. I guess that's the better analogy. It depends on exactly what format the real critical data (credit card numbers) are stored, though. If they were really encrypted, then it's overreaction central.

hauton

Jburton said:
Really?

I think that a lot of people are not over exaggerating, thinking objectively and don't have an axe to grind with the respective company.

As for the favourite toy company jibe, a lot of people on GAF are here because they like the output from said 'toy' companies.

You do yourself and others with that crap, you are on a forum where people talk about their favourite games and the latest news about their favourite 'toy' company.

Are you as sad as you implied others were with your post?
but my toy company is better than your toy company! it's more innovative/mature/niche/powerful/reliable!

meanwhile in the corner

"wow look at those babies arguing over their baby toys, all hail glorious superior PC master race!"

Shaneus said:
People aren't complaining about the car being stolen. They're complaining about having their wallets in plain sight in said car with *them* being stolen. I guess that's the better analogy. It depends on exactly what format the real critical data (credit card numbers) are stored, though. If they were really encrypted, then it's overreaction central.
yeah sony did confirm that the CC info was encrypted.

Averon

ZZMitch said:

There's a well known cyberwar going on with the DoD and, many believe, the Chinese government. Maybe the DoD was successfully hacked, of course they would be coy to reveal that. My main point is that for a network as large as PSN, with tens of millions of possible entry points, ensuring every point is locked down is asking the impossible for anybody. And even if that's so, this may be a case where the hackers were just better than the security.

Raistlin

Shaneus said:
Certainly. Again my point is we don't know whether they were just yet.

That said, I'm not sure if the subtlety you bring up is even evident in the OP's comments. It's a bit difficult to ascertain quite what he was raging about. Sounded more like the hack itself is where he's leveling blame on Sony? Admittedly I didn't see his prior posts - this thread is moving pretty damn quickly.

[EDIT]:

yeah sony did confirm that the CC info was encrypted.
Ah ... well there you go. Assuming they didn't leave the key in the ignition (decryption method easily found with the data) ... then yeah, I think it is as you said ... overreaction central. At least in terms of blame.

Speevy said:
I should have phrased that differently. My point was that neither of these companies take pride in protecting the information you give them.

As much as that actually pissed off at the time, the reason I'm done with Microsoft is my fourth dead Xbox 360. And keep in mind the first one I ever had was free, and so were two replacements.

But that has nothing to do with this topic.

I just want PSN back. I use it daily, and I just want it back.
Oh I agree completely with that. If this thread were about Microsoft and privacy you can bet I'd join the bitching about their billing system.

Lord Error said:
The pages on websites where this sort of thing could be changed or accesed are all down as well.

Yeah I was guessing that when they flip the switch I'd have to make a mad dash for the website to change my password.

But if they're just going to make it so we have to use the firmware then I'm kind of screwed until I get a new ps3.

Speevy

Banned
This comment is in NO WAY meant to make light or trivialize the troubles of those who may have had their credit cards stolen.

It is a serious question.

If you guys are still doubting that credit card info was taken, even after several users in this topic have said their card was used to buy X and Y, would that mean you're calling those people liars?

I'm confused.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
snack said:
What'd he say?

Something about this being a nerd on nerd crime
They took everything except our virginity
and who would want to steal the identity of a 30 year old who still lives in their parents basement.

paskowitz

jim-jam bongs said:
Oh I agree completely with that. If this thread were about Microsoft and privacy you can bet I'd join the bitching about their billing system.

If this was about MS, nobody would be surprised.

brentech

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yes, this is a rational response. Not some pent up nerd rage or just simple irrationality like some exhibit here. I've always felt that Sony was more of a victim and it's going to cost them more than these idiot hackers who try to prove a point.
Along the same lines, it's also very possible that no one is trying to 'prove a point' and just wanted to do it for fun or to actually steal the info for the ability to sell it.

And since Sony is stating that they're not bringing PSN back up until they feel the issues are resolved, you can sure bet that groups or individuals will be trying to break in to give put it to the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom