• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
RPGCrazied said:
so I got a $20 PSN card today, can you not buy them in $10 incriments? That sucks, I will miss using my CC for that. Oh well.

I wish this would hurry up so I can buy Outland and Beyond Good & Evil(when it comes out next month.)

There are $10 increments. But I've never seen them sold digitally like Amazon does.

BeeDog

Anyway, has someone tried the password recovery system as of late? Wario mentioned that it didn't reset through mails back in the day, but someone else (who was unsure) said that the password recovery system did require e-mail confirmation. Can anyone confirm this with certainty?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BeeDog said:
Anyway, has someone tried the password recovery system as of late? Wario mentioned that it didn't reset through mails back in the day, but someone else (who was unsure) said that the password recovery system did require e-mail confirmation. Can anyone confirm this with certainty?
I'm pretty sure I tried it recently. By recent I mean the past 3-5 months

Hopefully I'm just forgetting it. But I looked through my emails and saw no such email about password resetting.

Dabanton said:
So how are PS3 only owners holding up with no online gaming?

Seems a few people in this thread are going a little stir crazy..
I'm LTTP on Bioshock so I'm doing good. Never been too much of a multiplayer guy anyway, BUT! I was planning on playing through Dungeon Hunter: Alliance with three friends on easter weekend so Sony needs to make it up in one way or another.

Dabanton said:

Well I finished Batman Arkham Asylum on hard, finished watching season 3 of Deadwood and have been playing Left 4 Dead 2 with a friend on Steam.

iNvidious01 said:
this, need to link my damn psn and steam accounts before i can redeem the code, ffuuu.

ffuuuuuu indeed.

At this rate the goddamn price will drop considerably before I get to play the damn game.

BeeDog

Wario64 said:
I'm pretty sure I tried it recently. By recent I mean the past 3-5 months

Hopefully I'm just forgetting it. But I looked through my emails and saw no such email about password resetting.

That's worrying (and highly unfortunate if you actually remember correctly), but let's pray that someone with a clearer memory of how it works steps forward and sets us straight.

StuBurns

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
I'm LTTP on Bioshock so I'm doing good. Never been too much of a multiplayer guy anyway, BUT! I was planning on playing through Dungeon Hunter: Alliance with three friends on easter weekend so Sony needs to make it up in one way or another.
The exclusive DLC is amazing.

snap0212

Dabanton said:

Seems a few people in this thread are going a little stir crazy..
Been playing MW2 on Xbox Live and got my first rating. They say I'm not supportive when playing. :(

Effect

Wario64 said:
qgifJ.png

This movie is still a guilty pleasure. :)

I just got my email in regard to the account I have on my PS3....today. Ugh. The one I used on the PSP I got a few days ago. Difference email address as well. Just glad I had no credit card information attached to those accounts and I believe they have passwords I no longer use anyway.

itxaka

Defeatist
ukas said:
PCI standard requires at least 128. After that it's up to the vendor.

Edit: Technically it requires "Strong Cryptography". So they could have used any of the following.

"Cryptography based on industry-tested and accepted algorithms, along with
strong key lengths and proper key-management practices. Cryptography is a
method to protect data and includes both encryption (which is reversible) and
hashing (which is not reversible, or “one way”). SHA-1 is an example of an
industry-tested and accepted hashing algorithm. Examples of industry-tested
and accepted standards and algorithms for encryption include AES (128 bits
and higher), TDES (minimum double-length keys), RSA (1024 bits and higher),
ECC (160 bits and higher), and ElGamal (1024 bits and higher)."

Complete crap.
CVV2 numbers are never kept on file anywhere and that is just the lightest of the stupidity in it.
I am sure they appreciate your patronage and your continued feeding them hits thoug

Didn't think about that but Sony is gonna get fined and could lose their PCI-DSS Compliance. I guess they won't do it becaseu is a huge company but still, it will be a pain in the ass.

Oh and btw, I have seen PCI standard companies store cvv2 numbers in order to, for example, charge them in bulk at the endsof the day or week. They always said that as long as they didn't had an audit it was ok. Ok my ass, those fuckers.

Speevy

Banned
test_account said:
Giving out $20 to every PSN account would cost Sony over 1.5 billion US dollars (if all credit is being spent that is). But giving away a free month of PS+ could actually be a good idea, hoping that people will contunie to subscribe to PS+ after this =)

Not to mention every dummy account would get that.

Feorax

To be honest, I'm quite happy about putting my credit card back on PSN.

Let's face it, no other online infrastructure is going to be more strongly enforced or heavily scrutinised (both internally an externally) as PSN will be going forward.

snap0212

test_account said:
Is there any rating system in MW2? Or how do you mean?
There's this Reputation system on Xbox Live. You can prefer or avoid players and say why you did so. People thought I was not supportive.

Oh goody, so we're already into another round of ridiculous downplaying by people with no particular insight? How tiresome. And now it's got to the point where people are quoting Reuters reports they don't understand written by writers who don't understand what they're writing. It's almost tragically comical.

Quick question: do you think that Sony would have admitted they were hacked if they had managed to get the network up within a day? Or would it have been passed off as unscheduled maintenance? Interesting how it took them a couple of days to publicly state that the downtime was a result of a network intrusion.

And on the credit-cards topic; Sony notified financial institutions to keep a close eye on accounts with PSN transactions almost a week before they publicly acknowledged that users were potentially at risk of credit-card fraud.

"Everybody's network is getting hammered all the time." No shit, Sherlock. How come there aren't massive cases of data-theft like this reported every day? Could it be that other major companies have better network security? Oh no that's right. It's because they aren't telling anyone. Riiiiiight. Did we all forget that the absence of evidence is not evidence?

Well while we're gabbing, let's have a look at a report about that survey rather than an article which mentions it out of context: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0...k-threats-in-critical-industries-report-finds

Christian Science Monitor said:
Industries crucial to the functioning of society – such as water treatment systems, power plants, and oil and gas facilities – use computer-controlled systems that are under fast-growing cyberattack by hackers, often affiliated with government and organized crime groups, says a new report. These key industries, it adds, often are not boosting security to deal with the threat.

For decades, industrial control systems that operate the power grid and other vital infrastructure enjoyed "security by obscurity." Cybercriminal gangs saw better places to make money. That's changed in a flash.

A drumbeat of reports in recent years has warned of the corporate trend to connect previously isolated vital systems to the Internet, making them more vulnerable to criminal and government hackers seeking to infiltrate infrastructure networks.

Interesting, so the reason that they are being hacked is because they aren't updating their systems. So... it's their own fault. Looks like that survey is more relevant to this issue than the Reuters dude realised. The point of the findings isn't to absolve companies of responsibility for losing private data, it's to chasten them for being lax with their security.

Anyway, good times.

Kolgar said:
It better be a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.
Should lock him/them up in county. Those Federal prisons are a luxury compared to local ones. Federal prisons are overly sensitive about perceived rights violations and what not.

StuBurns

Banned
harriet the spy said:
i will try, i was not the biggest fan of bioshock but a more focused experience might help me enjoy more.
They're not stand alone, so unless you still have the game it might not be worth it.

StuBurns said:
They're not stand alone, so unless you still have the game it might not be worth it.
still do. i still want to finish the game someday (when i retire, probably :) ), even though I have been spoiled the ending ten times over already.

Oh goody, so we're already into another round of ridiculous downplaying by people with no particular insight? How tiresome. And now it's got to the point where people are quoting Reuters reports they don't understand written by writers who don't understand what they're writing. It's almost tragically comical.
What are you trying to say exactly? That people's CC have been hacked because of the security failure?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
StuBurns said:
It is, very entertaining. In fact it's better than BioShock in terms of gameplay.
Thought you were pouring salt since he can't download the DLCs.

(oh wait, they're on disc for the PS3? nvm if so)

Mastperf

Feorax said:
To be honest, I'm quite happy about putting my credit card back on PSN.

Let's face it, no other online infrastructure is going to be more strongly enforced or heavily scrutinised (both internally an externally) as PSN will be going forward.
"He beats me because he loves me."

StuBurns said:
The exclusive DLC is amazing.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:p

Seriously though, fuck you :p
Jinfash said:
Thought you were pouring salt since he can't download the DLCs.

(oh wait, they're on disc for the PS3? nvm if so)
Wait, I thought the same thing. Hahah, sorry StuBurns! :D So the DLC is on disc? Does it unlock once the campaign is complete or something? I'll have to check that out tonight. Om nom nom nom. Thanks for the heads up! :D

I keep getting a call from a 215-383-9743 number. It is always some Asian lady and it sounds like she is in some call center because of the background noise. I searched online and supposedly it's a scam trying to get people to pay back pay day loans which they already paid. But I have never applied for one of those. So maybe its related to this PSN thing???

Feorax

FINALBOSS said:
What more do you want
For them to not use the same "no evidence" bullshit wording they put out in the first presser that gave licence to all the FUD in the first place.

For the record, I don't believe that the CC info has leaked, but until they flat out say it hasn't, then you can't be 100% sure.

ukas

itxaka said:
Didn't think about that but Sony is gonna get fined and could lose their PCI-DSS Compliance. I guess they won't do it becaseu is a huge company but still, it will be a pain in the ass.

Oh and btw, I have seen PCI standard companies store cvv2 numbers in order to, for example, charge them in bulk at the endsof the day or week. They always said that as long as they didn't had an audit it was ok. Ok my ass, those fuckers.
I've seen that as well which is also a big no no. The thing is, at least with us, there are yearly audits, its not a get certified and your always certified. If anything was out of the usual the auditors should have seen this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom