• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
harriet the spy said:
still do. i still want to finish the game someday (when i retire, probably :) ), even though I have been spoiled the ending ten times over already.

What are you trying to say exactly? That people's CC have been hacked because of the security failure?
That a lot of the posts in this thread are irresponsible and misleading. That people should be properly educated about online security since it will be increasingly important as time goes by. That Sony shouldn't be given a free pass because you think Uncharted was awesome. Take your pick, they're all good.

Rubenov

MoneyLaunderer said:
I finally got the email from Sony. Deleted it, considering I've read it about 15 times on various forums. Hoping to get some relaunch news soon.

I kept my email; it is now a part of history :p

FINALBOSS

Banned
Lead Farmer said:
I keep getting a call from a 215-383-9743 number. It is always some Asian lady and it sounds like she is in some call center because of the background noise. I searched online and supposedly it's a scam trying to get people to pay back pay day loans which they already paid. But I have never applied for one of those. So maybe its related to this PSN thing???

Not every telemarketer in the world that calls in the span of 2 weeks is related to PSN...good lord.

StuBurns

Banned
Jinfash said:
Thought you were pouring salt since he can't download the DLCs.

(oh wait, they're on disc for the PS3? nvm if so)
Oh right, no, I was pouring salt, I just thought you meant it wasn't good. I can't remember if it's on the disc, but you have to buy an unlock if it is anyway.

So Wells Fargo, American Express, and MasterCard all say there's no fraud going on, that's great to hear. People should of course still keep an eye out though.

jim-jam bongs said:
That a lot of the posts in this thread are irresponsible and misleading. That people should be properly educated about online security since it will be increasingly important as time goes by. That Sony shouldn't be given a free pass because you think Uncharted was awesome. Take your pick, they're all good.

I don't disagree with anything you say above, and I am personally pissed at Sony for not keeping my personal info safe. I don't care that much about the credit card info (since it was encrypted), as I see not a single compelling reason to believe there was any hack related to that (not to mention most credit card have fraud protection). I am not blaming people who want to change their card, but those who go screaming 'my card was hacked because of the PSN', or those who use these guys as evidence of a credit card problem, make me want to make fun of them, as the odds of them being right are low (I won't make fun, though, because it does suck to suffer from credit card fraud).

itxaka

Defeatist
ukas said:
I've seen that as well which is also a big no no. The thing is, at least with us, there are yearly audits, its not a get certified and your always certified. If anything was out of the usual the auditors should have seen this.

I guess you are in the US? We only get surprise visits as far as I know. And my company is a huge one, probably you have one of our cards on you. We even provide the e-passports for the US....meanwhile if the lights of the building go off we are out of cameras and security locks....not in the main building but well, fuck this shit :p

Business security is so backwards half of the time.

Time to go home folks:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/04...e-safe-no-una/

*dusts shoulders off like a boss*

That doesn't mean anything. That they aren't seeing fraudulent charges right now, doesn't mean that CC numbers weren't stolen. They could be used tomorrow, the next week, next month, etc...

Sony needs to come out and confirm if CC data was stolen or not. That is the confirmation everyone needs to relax. Taking their time to confirm it is not doing them any favors.

It's funny (not haha, but ironic). I'm in Miami on business at the Credit Card Industry Forum and Expo that's held every year and I think I've heard about 50% of the presentations given today make reference (derogatorily) to Sony and "the breach" in one way or another.

Definitely on everyone's radar.

harriet the spy said:
I don't disagree with anything you say above, and I am personally pissed at Sony for not keeping my personal info safe. I don't care that much about the credit card info (since it was encrypted), as I see not a single compelling reason to believe there was any hack related to that (not to mention most credit card have fraud protection). I am not blaming people who want to change their card, but those who go screaming 'my card was hacked because of the PSN', or those who use these guys as evidence of a credit card problem, make me want to make fun of them, as the odds of them being right are low (I won't make fun, though, because it does suck to suffer from credit card fraud).

Fist-bump.jpg

Yeah sorry, I just get annoyed by people who jump to defend Sony when all the facts aren't available yet, but you're right that the Chicken Littles are pretty silly too. Makes me think of that Onion article about the virus that charges Amazon and Ebay purchases to your credit-card late at night when you're drunk.

Anyway, my main point is that people shouldn't jump to conclusions about how well other companies are guarding their personal information because people keep saying "everyone gets hacked, there's no such thing as a 100% impenetrable network", because if half of the rumours floating around are true then Sony fucked up massively. And it worries me that if they get a free pass on this, other companies are going to see it as an excuse to not fix their shit.

Mithos

Gold Member
Dabanton said:
So how are PS3 only owners holding up with no online gaming?
Seems a few people in this thread are going a little stir crazy..
Nothing have changed at all for me, except that I cant sync trophies or download demos, but I'm guessing the question was really directed to people that do play online frequently.

itxaka said:
That doesn't mean anything. That they aren't seeing fraudulent charges right now, doesn't mean that CC numbers weren't stolen. They could be used tomorrow, the next week, next month, etc...

Sony needs to come out and confirm if CC data was stolen or not. That is the confirmation everyone needs to relax. Taking their time to confirm it is not doing them any favors.
"There is no evidence that credit card data was taken"

Not really sure what more do you want. If there is no evidence then they can't find out if it indeed was taken.

itxaka

Defeatist
Metalmurphy said:
"There is no evidence that credit card data was taken"

Not really sure what more do you want. If there is no evidence then they can't find out if it indeed was taken.

Failure to quote the entire phrase makes for funny stuff.

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system.

At this time means that they keep investigating. I want to be sure 100% (Well I don't, I already had to block my card for "suspected fraudulent charges" last week). Or at least 99%, not a semi confirmation "we don't know" "maybe" "just to be sure" etc...

I don't think it's too much to ask is it?

tim.mbp

RustyNails said:

Because Joystiq got it from Gamespot who got it from Bloomberg

Bloomberg said:
Spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co. (WFC), American Express Co. (AXP) and MasterCard Inc. (MA) said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn’t seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony.

Bloomberg also posted another article on Kazuo Hirai
Bloomberg said:
"The market is watching how Hirai handles this, especially whether it’s business as usual or he takes the chance to change things,” said Yuuki Sakurai, president at Fukoku Capital Management Inc., which manages the equivalent of $8.6 billion in Tokyo. “The solution will have to be pretty drastic to convince users that the system is safe."

Raoh

For those just now getting emails.

I got mine almost immediately. My last name starts with an A.

Is it possible some of you are getting it later than others depending on if sony is sending out emails in waves?

A-F
G-K
etc etc etc

I swear as soon as i read about emails going out one arrived that same day for me.

itxaka said:
That doesn't change the fact that if they took it, they won't know cause... you know, there is no evidence. So they can't tell you if they took it or not.

Raoh said:

Is it possible some of you are getting it later than others depending on if sony is sending out emails in waves?

A-F
G-K
etc etc etc

I swear as soon as i read about emails going out one arrived that same day for me.
My last name is right near the end of the alphabet, and people are still reporting that they have just gotten theirs days after I received mine.

Fuck Sony.

itxaka said:

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system.

LOL, what exactly did you bold now?

Persona7

Banned
whats with the 10 buck PSN cards? At one point all they sold was 10 and 50 dollar cards with 20 dollar cards being scarce at the stores I shopped at.

Now it seems they phased out the 10 buck cards in favor of 20 and 50 dollar psn cards. Nobody seems to carry the 10 dollar cards anymore.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dabanton said:
So how are PS3 only owners holding up with no online gaming?

Seems a few people in this thread are going a little stir crazy..
I have family in the hospital (waited 7hrs in a FL emergency room before a nurse or doctor saw us..decided not to allow them to admit my family into their care and went to a different hospital that was farther away) and have been spending every night for the past week and a half with them, holed up in a small room.

I wouldn't be able to use the PSN even if I wanted to.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Persona7 said:
whats with the 10 buck PSN cards? At one point all they sold was 10 and 50 dollar cards with 20 dollar cards being scarce at the stores I shopped at.

Now it seems they phased out the 10 buck cards in favor of 20 and 50 dollar psn cards. Nobody seems to carry the 10 dollar cards anymore.

Best Buy.

Vamphuntr

Persona7 said:

This new network has to fund itself ;)

Persona7 said:

Have you tried Best Buy?

Also, it seems like demand for $20 cards are more common since that'll let you buy more stuff instead of a lone $10 card.

Zhengi

So yesterday after work I go to the gas station and try to use my credit card to buy gas. It was denied. I called my credit card company and they told me there was a charge of $500 to my card in NY. I told them it wasn't me since I was in LA. So they're investigating this right now.

I'm not certain if my card info was stolen from the hacked PSN, but it's quite a coincidence that the fraudulent charges were made just yesterday. I would say if anyone entered their credit card info on PSN, just keep an eye out for anything fraudulent that might happen.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Persona7 said:
Yeah, I saw that they have them online but not in-store. I even asked an employee about it and he said he noticed them dissapearing but has no idea why.

Weird, I just checked store locator on Best Buy's site and it lists all my local Best Buys for store pick availability

Persona7

Banned
Wario64 said:
Weird, I just checked store locator on Best Buy's site and it lists all my local Best Buys for store pick availability
Maybe it's regional?

I liked buying 10 buck cards in bulk because I never like having funds sitting in my account and most purchases for me were 10 bucks or under and if not I always found a way to use it all up.

d0c_zaius

ok so we haven't had anyone on this page contribute the following, so I will:

1. "I was charged less than 2$ total (oh it could be itunes BUT!)= it's on"
2. "I saw some random news story about Sony = It's on"
3. "My grandma asked me if I got hacked = it's on"
4. Bitter old people putting their sony products on ebay to send a message

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
:lol I loved your edit, Kyoufu.

I can't stop laughing. I made the same mistake too in the last thread, but it was for a different set of news. :D

Edit:

lmfao, itxaka got you! hahaha

itxaka

Defeatist
Kyoufu said:
Please post recommendations on what I should be using instead of duracell AA batteries :/

What is the best rechargeable solution?

Shit, the PSN hack is reaching further than we expected.

edit: got ya! Can't escape me with your ninja edits!

Xena

I didn't really wait on Sony confirming (someday) that my debit card # haven't been touched at all by this hacker so went ahead and asked for another one at the bank. They didn't even know it had been hacked... XD

brentech

seabee said:
I didn't really wait on Sony confirming (someday) that my debit card # haven't been touched at all by this hacker so went ahead and asked for another one at the bank. They didn't even know it had been hacked... XD
The people that work those support lines usually aren't the best and brightest. they were usually younger people or non college workers as it provides more than a job at a retail store.
So, unless they care, it's not likely they know about non-internal issues.

Sorry if that offends someone =\

Koomaster

Raoh said:

A-F
G-K
etc etc etc

For what it's worth, I got my e-mail today and my last name starts with an F. I was actually wondering why I didn't get an e-mail on the first day, guess it takes them a while to propagate all those e-mails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom