• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metalmurphy said:
The actual press conference won't be affected. They'll go on showing the games they already planned to show and they won't mention this at all.
And then the media will wonder why they didn't mention it

They'll have to say something. I expect them to reinforce their new security, and probably spend more time on that than most gamers want them to. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of their show was them explaining what their new security looks like and PR about how they strive to protect consumer's information.

see5harp

balladofwindfishes said:
they're going to have to offer monetary compensation for publishers.

Unlike customers, publishers can't really rely on coupons or special deals to recoup lost sales for 2+ weeks. They're going to want real money on top of that compensation.

We're talking about the likes of EA and Activision here. If they have a good case (which they do), you know they're going to go for blood.

Well I'm not even sure how the plus promotions work. I wonder whether all of the discounts are actually just subisdies paid by Sony to pubs. I really doubt that Sony is actually giving third parties cuts of actual plus subscription revenue.

params7

Banned
When PSN comes up, Starhawk's official announcement should follow very soon. Sony would want to divert the attention to the good stuff soon.

I personally can't wait for it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST

Betting list closes at 12:01 AM PDT April 30th :)

This is for partial functionality, as in being able to login to PSN at minimum (but I'll list you if you only guess full funct.)

PRIZES ARE BEING OFFERED!
Whoever guesses the date correctly gets to choose between a $20 US PSN card (thanks to Mr_Elysia), or a limited edition Xbox 360 faceplate from Zero Hour (thanks to Krakatoa). If there are multiple winners, I will use some randomizer thingy to chose a random winner. If no one guesses the date right, well...a random person from the whole pool will be chosen just for participating.
I will do another drawing for the prize that the winner didn't choose within the winning date pool. If only 1 person guessed the correct date, then everyone will be in the pool.

Keep in mind, we'll use the USA region to determine when PSN goes up, and it will be based on the Pacific time zone. So if it goes up at 11:59 PM PDT on May 4th, then May 4th is the winning date.

If your name isn't listed or is in the wrong date, let me know

April 29 - EL Beefo, demigod
April 30 - hikarutilmitt, Rewrite, YianGaruga, Sblargh
May 1 - Marius_, ULTROS!, ApolloJoh, RbBrdMan, mr stroke, Tonza, jayb, Trin3785, dirkdiggy
May 2 - Wario64, Hex, AwesomeSauce, Dead Man, plainr_, pharmboy044, chubigans, KingOfKong, Miutsu, reKon, PigSpeakers, Jinfash, Complexgod, onQ123, Trevelyon, Kccitystar, Killthee, Fistwell, Atruvius, Jaroof, polyh3dron, shagg_187, LiK, Jax, get2sammyb, Giriath_89, grkazan12, electroshockwave, Hanmik, TheSeks, enewtabie, The_Darkest_Red, aristotle, fadetoblack, Zoibie, Sp3eD, Oni Jazar, Withnail, giancarlo123x, caliblue15, TheBrain76
May 3 - xaosslug, arnoldocastillo2003, Professor Beef, gutter_trash, Dreamgazer, QuantumBro, RustyNails, ZeroRay, polg, daegan, Stoffinator, angelfly, StunandStab, Kaizer, Revolutionary, spats, Xater, lawblob, MooMoo, hirokazu, DMeisterJ, cjtiger300, Dedication Through Light, KenOD, No_Style, DaBuddaDa, gl0w, BLSwagger10, Kung Fu Grip, vilmer_, xKilltheMx, spindashing, phosphor112, Paznos
May 4 - Ickman3400, RPGCrazied, Sword Familiar, Prodigal, V_Ben, BeeDog, PjotrStroganov, Mr_Brit, Neuromancer, Rikyfree, darkjedi187, Ikkarus, iNvidious01, Billychu, Mikey Jr., raebodep, lastinline, Arpharmd B
May 5- upJTboogie, CcrooK, TOM f'N CRUISE, Voltron64, Marrshu, JLG-, upJTboogie, Metalmurphy, olimpia84, CadetMahoney, NYR
May 6 - Snack, UberTag, Aselith, StevePharma, Y2Kev, Urban Scholar, _dementia, Xiul
May 7 - Dipindots, pslayer666
May 8 - nny, leroidys
May 9 - shintoki, Mooreberg, Proposed Law
May 10 - Noshino, Baconbitz, CitizenCope, purple cobra
May 11 - Kafel, timetokill

May 13 - The Spoony Hou

May 15 - Megadragon15, Jakeh111

May 17 - Winterblink, D4Danger
May 18 - keit4, izakq

May 23 - Ryu Hayabusa

May 27 - RPG_Fanatic

May 30 - DryEyeRelief
May 31 - equap
June 1 - Sgt.Pepper

June 6 - DrForester, Hexadecimalt

June 16 - Brannon

July 4 - Krakatoa
July 5 - TigerUppercut

July 7 - nli10

Nov 1 - Net_Wrecker

Nov 11 - vissione

Dec 12 2012 - Combichristoffersen

Dec 21 2012 - Jal

Mr_Elysia

jetsetfluken said:
So I guess a total downtime to expect is 2 weeks total (my guess is up Tuesday)...
I have a feeling this will be a reason lots of devs and even big publishers will avoid PSN for future DD releases and DLC, and have them only on XBL.
Just when Sony was picking up steam and we were seeing multi-plat DD releases for the most part, this happened.
Back to the days of devs neglecting PSN even for DD releases like Ikaruga, Rez HD, etc.

Intentional?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
By the way, I do think there will be some fallout with all of this, obviously. I'm sure Sony has lost customers by the tens of thousands worldwide who might not want to buy stuff via PSN anymore.

But I think we all know how gamers are. Once Modern Warfare 3 comes out this fall, people will go back to PSN. Or the new thatgamecompany game, or Starhawk, or whenever DLC comes out for a major game, and so on. In that regards, yeah, it'll blow over. Potentially even more so once the details for compensation come out (which really could make or break Sony's short term image here- imagine the rage for just a free Mini vs a nice assortment of games and discounts).

params7 said:
I think they are just putting it mildly. Otherwise they would have said user passwords and CC data is encrypted I think.

They worded it as CC was actually in an entirely different table, and the whole table/db was encrypted and not hacked into (or no evidence of such), that's not to say that password fields on the personal data table weren't encrypted with 1 way hashes or something, as that's usually the norm.

*edit* WAIT, there are prizes? I want in Wario

May 5th for me.

Nizz

LiK said:
You can bet that there will be lil bits of chuckle or sadness when the devs and PR try to promote MP and other PSN features in their games at E3.

*hugs devs*
It really is unfortunate that this whole fiasco happened. I'm sure devs like Zipper have to feel kind of destroyed as Socom is such a MP focused franchise.

jax (old)

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Hahahahaha

Just because something is free for consumers doesn't mean that when it goes down there's no money lost.

why are you laughing? My post was more about the money microsoft would not be making in that scenario than it is about sony

TeegsD

Wario64 said:
WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST

Betting list closes at 12:01 AM PDT April 30th :)

This is for partial functionality, as in being able to login to PSN at minimum (but I'll list you if you only guess full funct.)

PRIZES ARE BEING OFFERED!
Whoever guesses the date correctly gets to choose between a $20 US PSN card (thanks to Mr_Elysia), or a limited edition Xbox 360 faceplate from Zero Hour (thanks to Krakatoa). If there are multiple winners, I will use some randomizer thingy to chose a random winner. If no one guesses the date right, well...a random person from the whole pool will be chosen just for participating.
I will do another drawing for the prize that the winner didn't choose within the winning date pool. If only 1 person guessed the correct date, then everyone will be in the pool.

Keep in mind, we'll use the USA region to determine when PSN goes up, and it will be based on the Pacific time zone. So if it goes up at 11:59 PM PDT on May 4th, then May 4th is the winning date.

If your name isn't listed or is in the wrong date, let me know

LISTl

Can you put me down for the 3rd?

balladofwindfishes said:

They'll have to say something. I expect them to reinforce their new security, and probably spend more time on that than most gamers want them to. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of their show was them explaining what their new security looks like and PR about how they strive to protect consumer's information.

It'll be 2 months from now. I doubt everyone will be wondering, perhaps a couple of articles here and there. Nothing big.

params7 said:
When PSN comes up, Starhawk's official announcement should follow very soon. Sony would want to divert the attention to the good stuff soon.

I personally can't wait for it.
Starhawk is not going to deflect this at all.

That move would only do two things
1. Overshadow Starhawk because nobody will care because the PSN issue still isn't entirely resolved
2. Make Sony look like they're pointing at a shiny thing to deflect the fact that they are inept.

The only people who care about Starhawk enough to make the PSN problem go away, are the people who didn't care about the PSN hack anyway.

The average regular, rational person isn't going to let a flashy trailer take away from the fact that they may be in real world danger of losing both time and money.

Jax said:
why are you laughing? My post was more about the money microsoft would not be making in that scenario than it is about sony
You said Sony doesn't lose any money from the PSN going down. The fact that you think that is kind of humorous.

Loudninja

balladofwindfishes said:

Why would they mention it at E3? Some of you are not making sense.

LiK

purple cobra said:
It really is unfortunate that this whole fiasco happened. I'm sure devs like Zipper have to feel kind of destroyed as Socom is such a MP focused franchise.
I know a couple of dudes just wanna play that online and they can't. They're pretty pissed.

params7

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
They worded it as CC was actually in an entirely different table, and the whole table/db was encrypted and not hacked into (or no evidence of such), that's not to say that password fields on the personal data table weren't encrypted with 1 way hashes or something, as that's usually the norm.

Yeah but norm doesn't apply to Sony. Passwords are the next big thing after CC's, if it was encrypted Sony would have insured people of that because its all they can give right now. From what I've read so far, it was all on plain text maybe guarded by windows firewall lol

ymmv

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
So I guess a total downtime to expect is 2 weeks total (my guess is up Tuesday)...
I have a feeling this will be a reason lots of devs and even big publishers will avoid PSN for future DD releases and DLC, and have them only on XBL.
Just when Sony was picking up steam and we were seeing multi-plat DD releases for the most part, this happened.
Back to the days of devs neglecting PSN even for DD releases like Ikaruga, Rez HD, etc.

You could be on to something. The same thing happened with Xbox Live in 2007 when the service was down for about a week. The service never recovered when the publishers bailed out and users switched to other platforms. Look at it now, it's a wasteland! Months go by without a new games, it's impossible to find anyone to play with. MS should have quit after that disaster, it's just embarrassing how they act like things went back to normal after such a disaster. You can't fool us!

params7 said:
Yeah but norm doesn't apply to Sony. Passwords are the next big thing after CC's, if it was encrypted Sony would have insured people of that because its all they can give right now.

Ugh... ok.

params7 said:
From what I've read so far, it was all on plain text maybe guarded by windows firewall lol
Now that's what I call unfounded bullshit.

Zoe

Metalmurphy said:

I think it'd be pretty irresponsible if they had put login information in the same table as personal data. Login fields need to be accessed infinitely more times than personal data.

ymmv said:
You could be on to something. The same thing happened with Xbox Live in 2007 when the service was down for about a week. The service never recovered when the publishers bailed out and users switched to other platforms. Look at it now, it's a wasteland! Months go by without a new games, it's impossible to find anyone to play with. MS should have quit after that disaster, it's just embarrassing how they act like things went back to normal after such a disaster. You can't fool us!
Yeah, the two events aren't really comparable.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
ymmv said:

2007 was only a downtime. It's different.

Metalmurphy said:
It'll be 2 months from now. I doubt everyone will be wondering, perhaps a couple of articles here and there. Nothing big.
Google BP

First result is explaining what BP is doing to fix the coast.
The second result, BP's company site is 50% information about what BP is doing to fix the coast.

This was more than a year ago.

Obviously that was a much larger issue, but this Sony thing is a BIG deal. A LOT bigger than most gamers are trying to pretend it is. This is a company, not just a game company, that lost millions of customers information and botched telling them about it.

Imagine if Amazon lost millions of people's data, and had a scheduled major conference in a few months. What do you think they would spend a majority of their time on?

so they said they will take care of dc universe players, but i'm wondering what they're going to do for regular users?

what do you guys see fit?

free dlc? free game? movies? free premium for a month?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wolves Evolve said:
I've really been impressed with Gamasutra's quality of reporting over the last two months, and this opinion piece by Colin Campbell is no exception:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34348/Opinion_PlayStation_Brand_Faces_Uncertain_Future.php

What's so frustrating to me as someone who has been a fairly loyal customer of Sony since day one of the Playstation brand - I have bought (and re-bought) a total of nine consoles - is that I always understood tacitly that what Playstation sells is a slightly teenaged concept of a lifestyle luxury brand. Like, I know that. We all know that. We buy and sell that dream and fuck it, I admit it, I love it. We consume the image of the brand and we enjoy it - bitch and moan about fanboys all you like, but that's how consumption works. I've also been a consumer of the other brands, and I've poured a not inconsiderable part of my income to this particular consumption fantasy.

And yet when I read this Gamasutra piece I felt my stomach open up just a little bit. I knew precisely what he was talking about. The whole debacle became about how shit Sony are as a company rather than Sony being the victim of an attack during the past week. Sorry, but "we just found out" is either the product of incompetence that defines the company or an arrogance that defines the company.

I don't think ultimately this will stop me being an owner of the next console or the NGP, but these things are matters of degrees. I was / am a Playstation Plus subscriber, and right now that's very hard to justify.

From that article:

"Instead of leaving hundreds of loyal followers bobbing around in the frigid seas of its blog, questions unanswered, Sony should have a small armies of nice people contacting the fans directly, offering encouragement and support.

Sony should be booking ads outlining exactly what it's doing, and releasing video docs on YouTube showing us men in white coats explaining what happened, how it's going to be fixed, and what the affected consumers should do. Deutsch/LA should be working on a new ad right now in which Kevin Butler does his thing, getting everyone on board Sony's transparent and believable story about the crisis."

Gimme a break.

balladofwindfishes said:
Google BP

First result is explaining what BP is doing to fix the coast.
The second result, BP's company site is 50% information about what BP is doing to fix the coast.

This was more than a year ago.

Obviously that was a much larger issue, but this Sony thing is a BIG deal. A LOT bigger than most gamers are trying to pretend it is. This is a company, not just a game company, that lost millions of customers information and botched telling them about it.

Imagine if Amazon lost millions of people's data, and had a scheduled major conference in a few months. What do you think they would spend a majority of their time on?
Pretending it didn't happen.

params7

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Starhawk is not going to deflect this at all.

That move would only do two things
1. Overshadow Starhawk because nobody will care because the PSN issue still isn't entirely resolved
2. Make Sony look like they're pointing at a shiny thing to deflect the fact that they are inept.

The only people who care about Starhawk enough to make the PSN problem go away, are the people who didn't care about the PSN hack anyway.

The average regular, rational person isn't going to let a flashy trailer take away from the fact that they may be in real world danger of losing both time and money.

Its better than just sitting there doing nothing right? And I care about Starhawk and this issue and been following it since Geohot vs Sony. I think I may be the only person on this forum to platinum Warhawk but I do realize it was a niche game. Extremely difficult to master, released with no tutorials or single player practice scenario.

Starhawk will be MUCH different. Its been in development since years now and will definitely the much wider casual market too with single player and completely new engine. Even though Warhawk's engine itself wasn't so bad because Twisted Metal is being developed on it.

What I'm saying is, don't treat Starhawk like a part 2 but more like a reboot.

macfoshizzle said:
so they said they will take care of dc universe players, but i'm wondering what they're going to do for regular users?

what do you guys see fit?

free dlc? free game? movies? free premium for a month?

1 Year of PSN+ so I can get in all the betas.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
regarding publishers, I guarantee there are service SLAs involved for both MS and Sony online services and Sony is clearly in breach of those right now.. As for the compensation, well... it would be whatever compensation is in place for the SLA, but 100% yes it is financially beneficial to the publishers.

regarding users, my guess is the monetary value of whatever they might offer will be minimal to nothing. Two reasons, the first being that 77M accounts means even at 50¢ they are looking at $38M in expenses on top of losses they are already incurring. Second is because many of those 77M accounts are duplicates, whatever offer they make WILL be exploited by holders of multiple accounts.

My guess is we are looking at a sale on PSN, free wallpaper/theme, open beta access to a previously closed Sony beta, free DLC, or something else along those lines. Stuff like free games or extended PS+ access are 100% out of the question. And yeah I know 100% is totally out of my ass.... but I may actually go so far as to place a wager on it. No way we will get anything of value completely for free out of this. At most maybe like a 1 month PS+ trial (though to be exact, that would be financially beneficial to sony.. so I am thinking to avoid claims of such something like that would even be out of the question)

balladofwindfishes said:
That's the worst possible PR move Sony could ever make
This is E3 we're talking about. It's a show made to present future games, hardware, services etc. It makes NO sense that they'd mention it there. THAT would be the bad PR move.

offshore

This thread is absolutely incredible.

Not only have some people been trying to defend how Sony has handled this, some are also now saying Sony don't need to mention this at E3?!

What planet are some people on? It's mindboggling.

Averon

I seriously doubt this will affect Sony's E3 presser. There may be some jokes by some reporters, may be a self-deprecating joke or two from Tretton, but that's it. And video game journos doesn't have the balls to boo Sony during the presser. In any case this whole episode will be largely forgotten by gamers before E3 even starts, assuming PSN is up and running by next week.

params7

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Ugh... ok.

Now that's what I call unfounded bullshit.

Sense of humor much? Windows firewall was a joke. And I see nothing but grasping on straws on your part where you're praying Sony encrypted passwords because if they did, they would have mentioned that to reinsure people otherwise their PR is more dumber than I could have possibly imagined.

params7 said:
Its better than just sitting there doing nothing right? And I care about Starhawk and this issue and been following it since Geohot vs Sony. I think I may be the only person on this forum to platinum Warhawk but I do realize it was a niche game. Extremely difficult to master, released with no tutorials or single player practice scenario.

Starhawk will be MUCH different. Its been in development since years now and will definitely the much wider casual market too with single player and completely new engine. Even though Warhawk's engine itself wasn't so bad because Twisted Metal is being developed on it.

What I'm saying is, don't treat Starhawk like a part 2 but more like a reboot.
I don't even know what any of the games you mentioned in your post are.

I don't own a Playstation 3.
I have a PSN account (for work I did last year)

Starhawk is not going to deflect anything for me.
Luckily I didn't have a CC tied to my account, but I still had email tied to it. A shiny trailer for a game that won't come out for a year and a half is nothing compared to the actual fact that someone may know my real world information that far extends past a random shooter game.

In hindsight I probably should have cancelled the account after the work was done, but who would have guessed this would have happened...

Metalmurphy said:
This is E3 we're talking about. It's a show made to present future games, hardware, services etc. It makes NO sense that they'd mention it there. THAT would be the bad PR move.
E3 is an industry trade show. It's suppose to mention stuff like that

Why do you think they spend 10-15% of their conference talking about sales figures?

offshore said:

Not only have some people been trying to defend how Sony handled this, some are also now saying Sony don't need to mention this at E3?!

Did Toyota ever mention their problem with the brakes on Motorshows?

There's place to do this. E3 ain't it.

StuBurns

Banned
offshore said:

Not only have some people been trying to defend how Sony handled this, some are also now saying Sony don't need to mention this at E3?!

Of course Sony don't need to mention this at E3. E3 is where the first parties do their major public relation push for the Western market, they're not required to linger on huge mistakes they make.

params7 said:
Sense of humor much? Windows firewall was a joke. And I see nothing but grasping on straws on your part where you're praying Sony encrypted passwords because if they did, they would have mentioned that to reinsure people otherwise their PR is more dumber than I could have possibly imagined.
I'm not praying, I'd just like to know, encrypted passwords can still be breached, and for sure that's all out there now. I've already taken my precautions. I just like to be informed and think Sony should have been alot more specific in these details

test_account

XP-39C²
Hanmik said:
If they mention the hack (which is likely to happen), then it will be about how Sony has secured the future of PSN, instead of talking about what happened, they will talk about how secure PSN is now (by the time of June, that is in the future, that sounds strange)
Indeed. I can't really blame them for this though. Now that the "accident" (or what i shal call it) has happened, and we cant really do much about that since it has already happened, i think that it is more important to focus on what will be done next to prevent it from happening again :)

Zoe said:
Probably used encryption that susceptible to brute force.
Yeah, that might be.

Metalmurphy said:
Would take more space I believe. Something as simple as a Nickname like test_account (and that would have to be decrypted alot, hence a performance hit) would be =#$%$#$&$#%34234"%"$%"#%&4523423"#%&#% encrypted... or something. I'm probably wrong on the details, but I do think it takes more space.
If it is about storage space, i dont think that this is much of an issue today since big harddrives are so cheap. But i have no idea if it can be a preformance issue though, it might be it for all that i know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom