• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

kinoki said:
Okay, I'm getting a bit tired of not being able to spend money on PSN now.

Tell me about it. I bought a new point card to get some DLCs, and on the same day I also bought Portal 2 and Dead Space 2. Now I cannot play Portal 2 Co-op online, can't buy any DLC, and I can't even play Dead Space Extraction. Arggghhhhhh.

offshore

From Reuters
(Reuters) - Sony Corp's Executive Deputy President Kazuo Hirai will hold a news conference on Sunday on a massive security breach of its popular PlayStation Network, the Japanese electronics giant said.

Hirai will speak at 2:00 p.m. Japan time (09:00 a.m. ET) about the breach, as well as the firm's information management system and the schedule to resume services, Sony said in a news release on Saturday.

The Japanese electronic giant warned this week that hackers had stolen names, addresses, and possibly credit card details from the 77 million user accounts of its video game online network in one of the largest Internet security break-ins ever.

The firm, which shut down the network on April 19, could face legal actions after it delayed disclosing the security breach information. Its shares fell nearly 5 percent in Tokyo on Thursday.
At least Kaz is finally going to break his silence.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/30/us-sony-idUSTRE73R0Q320110430

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I want to see bowing of heads and contrite apologies.

Benedict said:
Sony continues to choose their dates well, to get as low profile as possible in the press.

Or maybe they finally realised they should have done this sooner - as soon as possible - so Sunday or no, he's going out tomorrow.

Toki767

Wonder if they'll release any new information. I'd imagine they'll just repeat what we already know and maybe tell us when PSN will come back up.

Benedict said:
Sony continues to choose their dates well, to get as low profile as possible in the press.

Good grief.

People: "Man, fucking Sony are so fucking shit. Why didn't they talk to us sooner?"
Sony: "Man, we should probably have talked to people sooner. Let's hold a press conference as soon as possible. Sunday is pretty soon."
People: "Man, fucking Sony, pick their dates to avoid as much backlash as possible."

Sigh. We get it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Benedict said:
Do journalists work less on Sundays though? Serious question. Seeing that papers etc. comes out on Mondays, i would at least assume that journalists work heavy on Sundays as well.

Zeliard

Benedict said:

Dunno about that, or if it's the case, that won't be too effective. It'll just be a part of the news cycle the next day, at least in the U.S.

24 hour cable news shows have a lot of time to fill.

itxaka

Defeatist
Benedict said:

Or...you know, they didn't get all the information until today. Network detection, intrusion and data forensics take their time. Especially with sensitive information like CC cards you need to be sure if they dumped the database or not and what exactly they were doing during the time they were in.

test_account

XP-39C²
itxaka said:
Or...you know, they didn't get all the information until today. Network detection, intrusion and data forensics take their time. Especially with sensitive information like CC cards you need to be sure if they dumped the database or not and what exactly they were doing during the time they were in.
They already did a press release about that. I think maybe this press release will be about what will happened next (or at least that is what i'm most interested in hearing about).

offshore

IonicSnake said:
Having Kaz himself tell us when PSN is back up makes out sound like it wont be back anytime soon. :/
Au contraire, Kaz is going to pull a Steve Jobs and say PlayStation Network is back online....right now.

Gacha-pin

gofreak said:
I want to see bowing of heads and contrite apologies.

You will see at least a bow. He must start conference with bowing even if this conference is something for positive a stuff.

get2sammyb said:
Good grief.

People: "Man, fucking Sony are so fucking shit. Why didn't they talk to us sooner?"
Sony: "Man, we should probably have talked to people sooner. Let's hold a press conference as soon as possible. Sunday is pretty soon."
People: "Man, fucking Sony, pick their dates to avoid as much backlash as possible."

Sigh. We get it.

If that's the case, they would hold a press conference on Friday eveing right after the market is closed.

itxaka

Defeatist
test_account said:
They already did a press release about that. I think maybe this press release will be about what will happened next (or at least that is what i'm most interested in hearing about).

They didn't confirm it 100%, and it's the biggest issue of all. That is why I think it will be about it. Assuring or not the CC data status after 1 week of deep investigations by the security firm.

It would be an epic disaster if so, commercially speaking.

It can be that the hackers pulled a remote kill on PSN as hackers usually install them as a security method for covering themselves. Can you imagine the downfall from that? A infrastructure as big as PSN destroyed or severely affected? Let's hope nothing valuable was broken, gamers need their multiplayer fix! :S

Benedict

What I mean is that it's not a regular sunday, it's May 1st, labor day.

Which is quite a big "holiday/event" in parts of the world.
And the news coverage will be mostly concentrated on the different political statements and events that occur that day.

theDeeDubs

test_account said:
Do journalists work less on Sundays though? Serious question. Seeing that papers etc. comes out on Mondays, i would at least assume that journalists work heavy on Sundays as well.

I think that's correct. I know in politics if you want something to fly below the radar it's best to put it out on a Friday afternoon. Most people are like, "who cares, weekend woohoo", don't watch the news on the weekend, and that's two less days co-workers can talk to each other about it around the water cooler.

linsivvi

Benedict said:
What I mean is that it's not a regular sunday, it's May 1st, labor day.

Which is quite a big "holiday/event" in parts of the world.
And the news coverage will be mostly concentrated on the different political statements and events that occur that day.

1. It's not a public holiday in Japan (aside from the fact that it's a Sunday).
2. Newspaper don't stop running on holidays.
3. People don't stop reading the news on holidays. In fact, they might have more time to pay attention to it.
4. May 1st is not a big holiday event in most countries in the world.

hirokazu said:
What if this is Kaz's taking full blame and tendering resignation press conference?
jack-tretton-kaz-hirai.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gacha-pin said:
You will see at least a bow. He must start conference with bowing even if this conference is something for positive a stuff.

Yeah, I remember this from the NGP conference. But I want to see bowing in the 'omg we fucked up so bad, i'm soooooo sorry' kind of way.

But really, I want to see a very clear taking-of-responsibility for what happened (i.e. 'despite the fact it was a hacking, WE are responsible for protecting your data and WE failed in doing that'), a certain amount of honest transparency (without going into terribly low-level detail), and their path for moving forward, with enough info to inspire confidence in what they're doing. That's what they need to do anyway, IMO.

I mean, this is the company that wants you to upload pings of exactly where you are located at reasonably regular intervals on their next platform. They HAVE to lock this down for good going forward, and this is their first real step in reassuring how they'll do that. Or at least I hope it will be.

Luckyman

Banned
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Luckyman said:
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Kaz will commit seppuku on stage!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
well my launch ps3 broke yesterday so ill have to wait till ~20 may anyways.....

fffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Sblargh

Banned
hirokazu said:
I'm not expecting anything less!

He will put a sword on his stomach and inside his entrails will be 77 millions $50 PSN cards to compensate everyone. (which is purely symbolic of course, since they will just put the credit on the wallets)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom