• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffy

Banned
Mastperf said:
So they're just now letting people know their credit card info could have been taken?
They don't think it could've been, but as a precaution there were advised to tell us to be safer.

obonicus

lawblob said:
And? That link was the top security breaches of all time, some of them with tens of millions of CC accounts compromised. PSN has 75 million accounts, easily tens of millions of CC numbers stored. That's the same exact thing as the article you posted...It might not be the absolute biggest, but it could easily be right up there.

It does establish that the fine for these breaches really isn't that expensive, haha, unless they dropped a few 0s.

GeoramA

Really hope nobody's data was stolen and used...I bet Sony does too.

Just pisses me off how people who do the right thing and pay for their shit might be facing the consequences here.

I have my credit card information tied to my PSN account, although there has been no activity at all other than what I've done with it.

What should I do? Is it too late to remove it as of right now? If I can remove it, how do I do so?

bluehat9

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Guys, credit card information hasn´t been confirmed by SONY, they are now on going investigation on it, but they haven´t to this moment found a sign of CC theft, this i can assured.
Just like their investigation to the extent of the hack and where psn was going be down "a day or two," amirite? If they got every other piece of personal information, I don't really know what would make people think they don't have cc info too?

Then again, last week people were saying that if sony thought info was compromised they would have said it day one and anyone who thought otherwise was overreacting, so whatever.

I'm pissed at Sony and everything but c'mon duders, Perhaps they just found out everything recently and haven't actually waited a week to tell us. Imagine if they had said...there might have been a breach and your shit could be fucked up BEFORE finding out if it really was the case?

Imagine the chaos.

Shit gets broken in as well so the Hacker(s) still takes the main blame.

Sony isn't off scott free though. This shit is fucked.

PSN needs to be put back up sooner than later. 2 weeks would be fucking stupid.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
spindashing said:
I have my credit card information tied to my PSN account, although there has been no activity at all other than what I've done with it.

What should I do? Is it too late to remove it as of right now? If I can remove it, how do I do so?
There is no way to remove it at this moment

Kusagari

FTH said:
They don't think it could've been, but as a precaution there were advised to tell us to be safer.

And with how 'amazing' Sony's been with giving info in this whole debacle there is no reason to believe them.

offshore

bluehat9 said:
Then again, last week people were saying that if sony thought info was compromised they would have said it day one and anyone who thought otherwise was overreacting, so whatever.
Yeah, this is quite true.

So what are the options for Sony now regarding PSN accounts?
Maybe locking PSN accounts to their current email addresses, then reset the password and send the new password to the emailaddress? No access via security questions etc.

Still amazed that you can pull every data of over 70 million accounts w/o being detected/blocked immediately.

Stumpokapow said:
You link that, as if that was supposed to prove him wrong, but PSN has more accounts than any of the incidents you linked to. Provided the worst case scenario (all accounts stolen, plus credit information), this is indeed the largest data theft of all time involving usernames, passwords, and credit.

So, no, not hyperbole much.

Well, one positive of him posting that link is we get an appreciation of the magnitude of this information leak (even though he clearly didn't read it. Even the big credit card breaches were in the hundreds of thousands. This is massive

Chris R

Time to change my passwords and hope my other stuff is safe. Checked my credit card and didn't see any charges there, but this other info sucks.

No way to know what password it was either... great

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Zen said:
Did Sony exercise a reasonable duty of care that was owed to the customers? Apparently they use the same CC security methods as everyone else. The information is ultimately their responsibility to safeguard, but Sony isn't guilty of any negligence in this scenario it's proven that they in some way breached said standard of care in safeguarding the information.

Sony is at fault in some ways, but I wouldn't say that this is 50/50.

The most likely theory explained by BlimmBlimm on here when the network went down is that PSN security was client-side heavy, mainly relying on security through invisibility. When PS3 security imploded, that invisibility was lost and meant brute-force techniques could be used to reveal exploits.

When PS3 was compromised they tired to lock them out of the network, rather than rebuilding the network to stop any such exploits now the security of PSN was vulnerable. That rebuilding is what they are doing now.

darkwing

to be fair, they probably had to be sure what had happened hence why it took them a week

we will know more once the class action lawsuits start appearing

derFeef said:
Of course you are not concerned if you don't have CC info on your PSN. And how the hell did you change your PW if you can't login into PSN even.
change other passwords I mean, that use the same.

Elios83

I hope that:

1)No one will actually suffer fraud/financial damage because of this
2)All the services are back online soon
3)The hackers can be traced and punished like the criminals they are.

There is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time

Stop crying you fucking babies, and to all the lowlifes blaming sony rather than the hackers, this could have happened to any major company, and if the 40 people the FBI are after arnt to blame, it will be some guys using the geohat scandal to cover it up.

daffy

Banned
Ferrio said:
Sony knew must of known their server side security was fucked. I'm guessing one of the reasons they went all gung-ho against the custom firmware. They should of ignored the consoles and focused on their actually infrastructure.
They probably knew they didn't know how to handle CFW possibly, whether they were improving security for it before this is unknown, but they definitely should've been.

Oni Jazar

RyanDG said:
Look at the numbers in those leaks compared to the 70 million accounts that were compromised here. It wasn't a hyperbole. The only one that came close was the VA leak.

No way in hell did Sony have 70million banking account information. PSN accounts are free and I'm sure almost every PS3/PSP owner here had multiple accounts for different territories.

ridley182 said:
Penny Arcade is going to have a field day with this.
Yeah I imagine Weekend Confirmed, Giant Bombcast and the CAGCast are too.

Peacemillian said:

Stop crying you fucking babies, and to all the lowlifes blaming sony rather than the hackers, this could have happened to any major company, and if the 40 people the FBI are after arnt to blame, it will be some guys using the geohat scandal to cover it up.
Classy.

derFeef

Peacemillian said:

Stop crying you fucking babies, and to all the lowlifes blaming sony rather than the hackers, this could have happened to any major company, and if the 40 people the FBI are after arnt to blame, it will be some guys using the geohat scandel to cover it up.
wow....

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Peacemillian said:

Stop crying you fucking babies, and to all the lowlifes blaming sony rather than the hackers, this could have happened to any major company, and if the 40 people the FBI are after arnt to blame, it will be some guys using the geohat scandel to cover it up.

wow. thanks for your input. Also there is a pretty high chance that the CC info was stolen.

Trevelyon

Peacemillian said:

Oy vey

bakeray

Told y'all it was much bigger than just the Rebug issue. And there are STILL people here apologizing for Sony's incompetence.

what a trainwreck.

Fucking Sony, what a joke. I hope nobody tries to defend this blunder.

So going by that statement even if we cleared our CC info long ago from PSN there's still a chance the number got stolen?

angelfly

Peacemillian said:

So you work for Sony?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Peacemillian said:

wut

So, did Sony encrypt my password and CC info? I understand if my address, security answers, and email address may be compromised, but my passwords and CC should be encrypted right?

dream

Peacemillian said:

So what's your favorite PS3 game?

Barrett2

Anybody know how much a working CC number is on the open market? I would love to know how much all the PSN data is *worth* to whatever mafia organization buys it.

Quasar

darkwing said:
hackers finally seriously maimed Sony :( the Sony name would be associated with hacking

how do you recover from that??

The same way other companies do I guess. Apologising a lot and making it very clear how much they have improved their security. And that's even if no cc numbers have been lost.

This would hardly be the first time something like this has happened.

ArtG

Knux-Future said:
I'm pissed at Sony and everything but c'mon duders, Perhaps they just found out everything recently and haven't actually waited a week to tell us. Imagine if they had said...there might have been a breach and your shit could be fucked up BEFORE finding out if it really was the case?

Imagine the chaos.

Shit gets broken in as well so the Hacker(s) still takes the main blame.

Sony isn't off scott free though. This shit is fucked.

PSN needs to be put back up sooner than later. 2 weeks would be fucking stupid.

The problem is they said they've been hacked any waited a week to determine whether or not personal information has been stolen. A fucking week. They're a $30 billion dollar company, for Christ's sakes, not a bunch of amateurs.

StuBurns

Banned
Peacemillian said:

I hate this post so much.

One thing I am certain of: This is NOT how Sony wanted to start the media push for its new tablets lol. If I were in whatever division handles tablets and I heard this was coming out on the same day as my reveal I would be FURIOUS. Sucks for those guys.

jett

D-Member
PSN's username is our e-mail, how are we supposed to change that you stupid sony mongrels.

Anyway, I changed my PSN password only a few days before it went down, I might be in the clear. And I used virtual cards(until they stopped working, thanks Sony), so no issues there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom