• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

How can anyone try and link this to the CFW stuff? Ever heard of packet sniffing? You don't need a PS3 to brute force yourself through to a PSN server.

All of this is squarely on Sony's shoulders. There are hackers every were. Its inexcusable to have this happen. Only engineering idiots would have user databases so close to a networks front end, those should be housed independently and only accessed through custom software within the network to prevent this kind of shit. Safeguards should always be in place to monitor access to said resources, in case of unusual access you quarantine the database and kill any connections to it.

Edit: the CFW might have been the catalyst, as far as all the Lawsuit crap etc that happend.

Paches

gibration said:
It's a good thing I always delete my CC info every time I make a purchase with it on PSN.

This won't put you in the clear, depending on how recently you purchased with that CC FYI. Depending upon policy, they may be retaining information that you have ever put in for a certain amount of time until the information is flushed from the tables.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Garjon said:
It's going to be very difficult but it can be done, though they will never be able to shake this incident off. What it will take is absolutely textbook management, something I don't think SCE are capable of. Right now I wouldn't be surprised if the NGP were to be delayed for the time being: there's no way they can release a new console with this sort of PR riding it's coattails.
95% of gamers aren't likely to care by the fall. It'll blow over, and Sony will likely lose customers by the tens of thousands.

But anyone thinking this dampens the "Playstation Name" is kinda nuts.

It seems Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal is not very thrilled about Sony waiting 6 days to announce a possible personal data breach. Here is an open letter Sen. Blumenthal wrote to Jack Tretton:

April 26, 2011

Mr. Jack Tretton
President and CEO
Sony Computer Entertainment America
919 East Hillsdale Boulevard
Foster City, CA USA 94404

Dear Mr. Tretton:

I am writing regarding a recent data breach of Sony's PlayStation Network service. I am troubled by the failure of Sony to immediately notify affected customers of the breach and to extend adequate financial data security protections.

It has been reported that on April 20, 2011, Sony's PlayStation Network suffered an "external intrusion" and was subsequently disabled. News reports estimate that 50 million to 75 million consumers – many of them children – access the PlayStation Network for video and entertainment. I understand that the PlayStation Network allows users to store credit card information online to facilitate the purchasing of content such as games and movies through the PlayStation Network. A breach of such a widely used service immediately raises concerns of data privacy, identity theft, and other misuse of sensitive personal and financial data, such as names, email addresses, and credit and debit card information.

When a data breach occurs, it is essential that customers be immediately notified about whether and to what extent their personal and financial information has been compromised. Additionally, PlayStation Network users should be provided with financial data security services, including free access to credit reporting services, for two years, the costs of which should be borne by Sony. Affected individuals should also be provided with sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of identity theft.

I am concerned that PlayStation Network users' personal and financial information may have been inappropriately accessed by a third party. Compounding this concern is the troubling lack of notification from Sony about the nature of the data breach. Although the breach occurred nearly a week ago, Sony has not notified customers of the intrusion, or provided information that is vital to allowing individuals to protect themselves from identity theft, such as informing users whether their personal or financial information may have been compromised. Nor has Sony specified how it intends to protect these consumers.

PlayStation Network users deserve more complete information on the data breach, as well as the assurance that their personal and financial information will be securely maintained. I appreciate your prompt response on this important issue.

Sincerely,

/s/

Richard Blumenthal
United States Senate

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MrPliskin said:
Sony is at fault for not communicating with their consumers in a timely manner, nothing more.

Some of you are unbelievable. I won't say what I REALLY feel about the recent flood of posters (and a few other "senior" members), but I'm sure some of you can guess.

How is it unbelievable? This isn't sony's fault, sure, but the awful way their PR has handled this is more than enough for many people to completely write off sony systems entirely from now on.

I also distinctly remember you saying that there was no way the info was compromised without them letting us know for so long.

Instro

Shadow780 said:
iny2i1.jpg

Heh, classic.

bob page

So Sony is going to have to can the entire Playstation Network brand, right? How are people going to feel safe using it again? They're going to have to start a whole new service under a different name.

Oozinator

Banned
offshore said:
Even though that would be amusing, seriously, Hirai needs to get up there at E3 and make a fucking sincere, genuine apology.

He should probably really do it now, but, whatever.
You mean Hirai performing seppuku live at E3 ?

KAL2006

Banned
what does the OP mean by partly up within a week

does it mean it could be another week, and even then not fully up but just partly up

Thankfully my card info wasn't saved. Now I just need to change my password and I think I should be all right.

Reminds why I should be wary of saving personal data on websites. I'm wondering if I should remove my amazon info as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shadow780 said:

ahahahah that one never gets old. There's a similar one for another mod, also about Final Fantasy XIII, that's also very funny. I love these crow eating pictures. Hahaha. (Seriously, I'm not being facetious)

Harpa

Better safe than Sony...

I sure hope the cc-info aint let out of the bag. Would be horrible if it'll become too much of a mess.

Well, fuck Sony for this. I'm selling my PS3 and getting a 360.

I've already been through shit like this before, and now it's happening again. Thanks for sitting on this information for days.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kusagari said:
I also refuse to believe that nobody has ever attempted something with this on XBL with the target MS has on there backs.
most security breaches are covered up and unknown. usually limited.

AnEternalEnigma said:
It seems Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal is not very thrilled about Sony waiting 6 days to announce a possible personal data breach. Here is an open letter Sen. Blumenthal wrote to Jack Tretton:

God I wish he had addressed it to Kevin Butler.

dream

Kusagari said:
I also refuse to believe that nobody has ever attempted something with this on XBL with the target MS has on there backs.

I'm sure people attempt it on a regular basis. iTunes too, with Steve Jobs always bragging about how they have 100 million account with credit cards or whatever the figure is now.

The difference is Microsoft and Apple seem to take security seriously.

dude

dude
Peacemillian said:
There is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time

Stop crying you fucking babies, and to all the lowlifes blaming sony rather than the hackers, this could have happened to any major company, and if the 40 people the FBI are after arnt to blame, it will be some guys using the geohat scandal to cover it up.
Hi Kaz, don't you have some more important stuff to attend to right now?

I think it's understandable for people to swear right now, considering just what happened here. If it was my information, I'd be freaking out right now... I completely understand people being emotional.

Vestal

Kusagari said:

Difference being.. Microsoft is a Software company with years of experience in this sort of thing.

Barrett2

alr1ghtstart said:
So what site do you recommend I sign up on for a credit report?

Sony will offer you a free one and monitoring. Wait for that before paying for anything. But if you want a quick check, any of the big three offer a free 'snapshot' report. Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.

darkwing

bob page said:
So Sony is going to have to can the entire Playstation Network brand, right? How are people going to feel safe using it again? They're going to have to start a whole new service under a different name.

the Playstation brand is going to be tainted, its going to be a laughing stock :(

V_Ben

Banned
dream said:
I'm sure people attempt it on a regular basis. iTunes too, with Steve Jobs always bragging about how they have 100 million account with credit cards or whatever the figure is now.

The difference is Microsoft and Apple seem to take security seriously.

This is what happens when the brains behind Star Wars Galaxies attempt to design an online service. Eep.

mr_nothin

Banned
No wonder Anon is denying responsibility. They probably did it and knowing the damage they did...how can they keep saying that DDoS is "peaceful" and "harmless". If they accepted responsibility then they couldnt take that stance at all. Anon isn't just a bunch of script kiddies doing DDoS attacks....

I think it's too big of a coincidence.

Lovegooder said:
Has anyone received e-mail notification from Sony re: any of this? From the day they shut PSN down to within the last hour? I haven't.

this is the biggest failure of all.. I have many friends on PSN that aren't hardcore gamers and don't follow blogs and they have no idea.

MrPliskin

Banned
jett said:
Just calling out Sony's fucktarded advice

On PSN the username you use to log-in is your e-mail address. How am I going to change that?

You can change the email address associated with your PSN account.

You can also change your email service provider if you are hyper paranoid.

In addition to this, you can change your password for said email service, as well as any security questions. 1,2,3GO.

Evlar

Banned
Lovegooder said:
Has anyone received e-mail notification from Sony re: any of this? From the day they shut PSN down to within the last hour? I haven't.
Someone posted a few minutes (and a couple dozen pages) ago they had received email. I don't check that account on my work PC, so can't look for myself.

Nome

Marius_ said:
So I have a debit card in there, what should I do Gaf? :(
Call your bank or whoever issued your debit card and ask them to give you a new number. Banks and CC companies have the best customer support out there, and they'll pretty much do anything to keep your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom