• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifa-cobex

Peacemillian said:
There is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time

Stop crying you fucking babies, and to all the lowlifes blaming sony rather than the hackers, this could have happened to any major company, and if the 40 people the FBI are after arnt to blame, it will be some guys using the geohat scandal to cover it up.

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network.

I'm totally gob-smacked by this.
What the fuck is E3 going to be like this year?

Cth

Still catching up on the thread, but just in case it hasn't been posted already..

To see what credit card you used with PSN, check your emails from "DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net"

darkwing

alphaNoid said:
So ultimately the real question is can Sony repair the Playstation brand? Think about E3 for instance, its like 6 weeks out... how on earth is Sony going to stand on a stage, face the world and try to pretend everything is ok and convince people to get excited about anything? I can tell you right now, if even enthusiasts here on GAF are pissed at Sony you can bet the average Joe consumer is probably furious.

People will eventually forget, but it will take a long ... long time to recover the brand (I think). Its been a bad generation for Sony.. it certainly doesn't resemble the PS2 days.

they are not going to recover in this gen for sure, i'd hate to be the person on stage for Sony during E3 lols boos are going to be expected

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
HEY GUYS, NO NEW INFORMATION TO REPORT. THANK YOU FOR WAITING

. 6 days later
OH HAI GUYS PERSONAL INFO AND MAYBE CREDIT CARD INFO HAVE BEEN STOLEN, THANKS FOR WAITING!

Evlar

Banned
Aquavelvaman said:
So we need a guide to wtf to do about this right now. Obviously I'm changing all of my passwords across the board. I'll get on canceling my debit card and getting a new one tomorrow (a huge hassle considering how many things I have tied to that card already).

What is the purpose of signing up for credit report websites? Just to make sure someone isn't opening new credit accounts in my name? Is that what I'm looking for? Holy fuck this is such a pain.
Yeah, you want to make sure you haven't bought a car on the other side of the planet.

Adamm

spindashing said:
Sorry for my bluntness, but:

Are there any reports of anyone's Credit Card/Debit Card being utilized as a result of this hack?

Sony have said in the FAQ that there are no reports of any stolen psn info being used

How people can defend Sony?

There's laws that are there to protect your personal data on cases like this: it's Sony fault because they obviously didn't take the proper measures to protect your data and so their are to blame.

They were incompetents and so are to blame.

Rebel Leader said:
Not at this moment. Checked my account, nothing shady.

Tron 2.0 said:
Anecdotal, some in this thread, but it's impossible to tell if they are related to the PSN crack.
Alright. I can also confirm that nothing shady has happened to my Credit Card ever since this PSN outage happened.

Adamm said:
Sony have said in the FAQ that there are no reports of any stolen psn info being used
Alrighty. Thanks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Eh, I'm not even gonna stress over this. Take my CC info, take my account, whatever.

if all goes wrong I'll just leave everything behind and go live out in the wilderness like that guy in Into the Wild

Gagaman

Just searched all my e-mails from DoNotReply ac.playstation.net and judging from the last time I used my DC on there, it's was using my previous card which had a different number. With any luck this means they have an expired card in their info as I have been using the pre-paid cards ever since.

Wario64 said:

OH HAI GUYS PERSONAL INFO AND MAYBE CREDIT CARD INFO HAVE BEEN STOLEN, THANKS FOR WAITING!
each dot represents a 24 hour period, right?

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
Aquavelvaman said:
What is the purpose of signing up for credit report websites? Just to make sure someone isn't opening new credit accounts in my name? Is that what I'm looking for? Holy fuck this is such a pain.

I wouldn't worry about that, since you'd also need your SSN.

Garjon

chubigans said:
95% of gamers aren't likely to care by the fall. It'll blow over, and Sony will likely lose customers by the tens of thousands.

But anyone thinking this dampens the "Playstation Name" is kinda nuts.
Going by that "UK government details leaks" scandal from a few years ago, you may have a point. However, this sort of thing will be heavily sensationalised in the tabloids; a major release a few months after this event will lead to a quite a few negative headlines.

V_Ben

Banned
Wario64 said:

. 6 days later

That's what waiting gets you! :/

dr_octagon

Banned
spindashing said:
Sorry for my bluntness, but:

Are there any reports of anyone's Credit Card/Debit Card being utilized as a result of this hack?
If information has been obtained, it may be used at a later stage (could be months down the line).

Trevelyon said:
Yeah, kinda, sorta. is it really that far fetched?

Not far fetched, but not a good idea...as you now know. You now share some of the blame if your other accounts have been compromised. But, the chances of that are astronomical. People think the damn sky is falling.

Averon said:
I hope it doesn't come to that. I used the card on PSN once over a year ago. And deleted the info off of the PS3 (the fact that it saved the info on the PS3 is what spooked me to delete it). Hopefully I'm in the clear.

You can call your bank and get your old one canceled and a new one made. Depending on the bank they can make you a new one at the branch.

Averon said:
Not for debit cards, which is what I used.

Depends who you bank with Lloyds TSB are pretty good in the UK, someone had copied my debit card and was using it to buy top up cards at the other end of the country they rang me to say they had cancelled my card but couldn't stop some of the transactions going through, was told to ring back when they showed on my statement and they would send out forms to sign to have the money debited back into my account, had the money back in my account two days after returning the forms.

DMeisterJ

Banned
lifa-cobex said:
What the fuck is E3 going to be like this year?

Um... Business as usual?

It sucks and it's terrible, but they'll move on and talk about what they were going to talk about before. This won't change much. They may emphasize network security during the PSN section of the conference though.

Maxim726X

Wario64 said:

. 6 days later

Reader's Digest version.

StuBurns

Banned
Wario64 said:

. 6 days later
But dude, you can totally possibly link your PSN account to Steam within a week, excited no?

daffy

Banned
E3 will be depressing as fuck. Like when you got rowdy at lunch in the cafeteria back in high school and the principal told everyone to be quiet or go to detention the next day.

MrPliskin

Banned
Papercuts said:
How is it unbelievable? This isn't sony's fault, sure, but the awful way their PR has handled this is more than enough for many people to completely write off sony systems entirely from now on.

I also distinctly remember you saying that there was no way the info was compromised without them letting us know for so long.

I absolutely did say that, and I was wrong. While there is no evidence that this information was compromised (at this time) it is still "decent" of Sony to advise people to take appropriate action.

I will say that they way in which they handled this was piss poor, and I have already stated that. Their customer management is terrible. However, I still understand that the people at fault (more so than Sony) are the "hackers". The low life scum who feel they can act without responsibility for their actions.

I also have no doubt in my mind that the recent "jail breaking" of PS3 systems is DIRECTLY linked to this compromise. Indeed, Sony is at fault for not finding a way to permanently detect and remove said systems from their network to prevent them from prodding around. That still doesn't alleviate said jerk off's from their liability, however.

Wazzim

Banned
Wario64 said:

. 6 days later
Pretty much this, I almost can't believe this.

Cth said:
Still catching up on the thread, but just in case it hasn't been posted already..

To see what credit card you used with PSN, check your emails from "DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net"
THANK YOU!

I just checked and the card they have on file has since expired. This makes me feel better.

UraMallas

This has probably been mentioned a bunch but is there any info on if it had something to do with Steam and PSN intermingling? I believe I had just gotten my PSN/Steam IDs linked when this all went down. You would think Steam would have put out a comment though, if that were the case. Maybe it created some kind of back-door vulnerability in PSN, though? I dunno...

alphaNoid

Banned
Sblargh said:
... but it don't seem really that awful.
lol are you serious? Like for real, for real?
KuGsj.gif

This is one of the worst things that could have happened to PSN.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I haven't even received an e-mail about this. If it wasn't for GAF, I'd still be left out in the cold as to what's up. This is fucking unbelievable and bullshit. Now I'm going to have to monitor my credit card more closely and possibly request a new card as well as change my password...what a fucking mess. For shame, Sony.

And the worst part is that they took all this time to give us this information. 6 days. My fucking god. :|

6 days to give us this information? Totally inexcusable... I now have to cancel my card and sort out everything related to it.

Edit: Theres no point in waiting a few days, they could have your info and screw your card in a months time or whenever they fancy

I've learned my lesson: prepaid cards from now on. I'm not going to panic and change my passwords or cancel my debit card until I notice problematic activity, but I'm definitely upset at Sony for taking so long to make a statement. Who knows what the impact of this will end up being?

dr_octagon said:
If information has been obtained, it may be used at a later stage (could be months down the line).
Damn. You're right. Well, I'll be keeping an eye on transactions that my credit card is involved with, at any rate.

Well, I feel it sucks on both ends. Sony for whatever reason didnt tighten shit up when they made the ps3 and make sure stuff was cool. But at the same time, there was a ton of pro Geohotz or whatever was goign on with that. I didn't even keep up with it, but I'm sure now people are sorry they were pro hackers etc.....

Luckily I use different passwords basically for everything. So I might take the step in just getting a new credit card mailed,or maybe wait it out. not sure yet.

Vire

FTH said:
E3 will be depressing as fuck. Like when you got rowdy at lunch in the cafeteria back in high school and the principal told everyone to be quiet or go to detention the next day.

I wouldn't be surprised if we heard lot's of boos.

Ashkeloth

bandresen said:
Patrick Klepek from Giant Bomb:

"For those who were asking, Sony has just confirmed to me there is currently no way to determine what password you were/are using on PSN. If you're worried at all, you should probably change your password used across the Internet."

If that is true, which for any Software company in 2011 ought to be true that at least dampens it a little bit.

Still: Change your passwords if you re-use them in several services.

Just want to note for people are misunderstanding this - this isn't in reference to what the hackers have access to. It's in the scenario of "I forgot what password I used for my PSN and don't know if I'm safe or not". Sony cannot tell you what password you used for PSN.

as per the quote:

Some users have suggested counting the number of "stars" in your saved password as a way to help determine what password you may have been using to access PSN. It's a start.

at least as far as I can surmise from that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom