• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I literally just saw this new thread a few minutes ago. This is getting worse and worse.

Luckilly I don't have any Credit or Debit info on my PSN...or wait, did I...?

Blimblim said:
Looks like this is exactly what I thought had happened a few days ago. Not that I'm happy about being right, but it shows that once again you should never trust the client side in a client/server configuration. Security through obscurity always work from some time, and then you become complacent and put too much trust into it. And then this type of things happen.
If we knew about this than why in the world did a billion dollar company whose trying to make PSN as their backbone not wise up to this fault?
It's just amazing regarding the incompetence this shows.
Sony will bounce back. They're too important to the market to die out. They'll just have to be the but of many jokes for the coming months.

daffy

Banned
Green Biker Dude said:
the problem supposedly started around april 1st / march 31st with the rebug cfw

it might be unrelated, but april 8th wouldn't be too early to be related to this
No it is. He found something because he finally decided to look for it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Green Biker Dude said:
the problem supposedly started around april 1st / march 31st with the rebug cfw

it might be unrelated, but april 8th wouldn't be too early to be related to this
Most likely not related. IPs from china hack gmail accounts all the time.

alstein

Does anyone think that when PSN is back up, that a good portion (say 30-40%) of the playerbase doesn't come back?

If this happens, I might as well convert back myself.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I would advise everyone to either cancel their CC's/Debit cards (esp) or keep a hawk eye on them via online banking. Your bank should have SMS text alerts for when it's used, which you should set up.

Go_Ly_Dow

Ugh, better regain access to my online banking asap so I can monitor transactions in and out of my account on a daily basis.

Griffin

lol51 said:
So... I am on a password change spree and i log into my gmail account.

This account is the same account that is associated with my PSN and has a password that's very similar.

Apparently someone in china has logged in to my account.

Unknown China (122.137.22.75) Apr 8
Unknown China (119.39.77.63) Apr 8
Unknown China (114.138.195.248) Apr 17

Nothing to see here, has happened to me before, not connected to any Playstation service ever.

alphaNoid

Banned
Dizzy said:
Only question I have left now is how good was Sony's security? Anything could get hacked eventually, but I'd like to know how it compared to similar services. Hopefully we will get details leaked when this has all blown over.
Short answer? Not good enough.

You will never get all the details, so you need to accept that Sony wasn't prepared for this kind of attack.

knitoe

I always keep my email password different from everything else. That way, if someone hacks a site and tries to redirect the emails, I will always have access to the email stating what's happening.

mt1200

I only need it to update my trophies.

sucks for the people who played online everyday, and for the people who used their C.C.

darkwing

McLovin said:
I guess we could... how many users affected? .... all of them? Yeah we could sue psn into extinction if you want that. Then you could sign up for xbox live :\

class action lawsuits are a given now, if they can sue for the otheros removal, how much more for this lols

I just realized Steam's website is terrible for managing your account. It only tells me what I've purchased. Can't even change my password on the website, or they made it hard as hell to find.

LJ11

I really don't care about my CC, it's been taken before and used to purchase religious books (hahahaha), but all the other info increases my paranoia. Usually never enter my birthday, avoid it as much as I can, not sure if I did on PSN however. Name, bday, and address, that's too much info.

daffy

Banned
If you cancel your credit card due to this I think you're making a horrible mistake. If you are responsible and diligent enough you can watch your bank statements and act accordingly. No need to mess your credit .

Krakatoa

alphaNoid said:
I also highly recommend KeePass, the guys who wrote the security in its database are unreal smart. Its the only one I recommend to friends/family.

I agree KeePass is a great program.

NightHawk17 said:
alright so what should I do?

iI had a credit card on my account:(

1. Gather all your cards you may have used on PSN.

2. Call the numbers on the back and report them stolen/fraud (usually there is an automated option for this and you won't even need to speak to anyone).

3. Make sure you change any passwords you have that were the same as your PSN account.

test_account

XP-39C²
radioheadrule83 said:
At the bottom of the page you'll see something like:

Code:
You are currently using 270 MB (3 %) of your 7576 MB.
Last account activity: 4 hours ago at this IP (xx.xx.xx.xx).  Details

Click details.
I cant find "details" :( All i have at the bottom is:

Gmail view: standard | turn on chat | turn off buzz | older contact manager | basic HTML Learn more
©2011 Google - Terms - Privacy Policy - Buzz Privacy Policy - Google Home

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Steve Youngblood said:
Is it really 95% of the userbase? Or does that just facilitate quick "everyone but me is a hypocrite" drive-by feelgoodery?
Dude what are you even discussing at this point lol?

Technicalities? Internet forums etiquette? you're grasping at straws here, man. Gimme a break, and google up the thread. My point was clear as day lol.

Despite all the "sky is falling" posts on here, I doubt that NPDs will be affected by this at all. All of you guys saying you're "done with Sony" will come back to the fold with Uncharted 3.

It's a PR black eye for sure but it's one they will survive. I'll definitely be sticking to pre-paid cards from now on, though.

The problem is that in truth this could happen to anyone, and XBL and Steam might be just as vulnerable. I kinda wish Steam had pre-paid cards now, but I suppose temporary account #s and pre-paid VISAs will have to do.

FTH said:
If you cancel your credit card due to this I think you're making a horrible mistake. If you are responsible and diligent enough you can watch your bank statements and act accordingly. No need to mess your credit .

?
Changing your credit card number is no big deal.

expy

Banned
FTH said:
The banks will do that for you anyway, well, the good ones.

FTH said:

You can just report a card lost or stolen and they will issue a new number.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
test_account said:

Gmail view: standard | turn on chat | turn off buzz | older contact manager | basic HTML Learn more

look right above that
Last account activity: 0 minutes ago at IP ************. Details

TheFatOne said:
I still don't understand why Sony took 6 fucking days before saying anything. As soon as they suspected something was up they should have notified everyone. Absolutely ridiculous
Honestly, I would think that they found out they were hacked, but not sure what was done initially. After investigating, that is how they found out more. At first they may have thought the network was hacked only with people getting free games, but after they investigated more, probably found out about the compromise.

Zoe

test_account said:

It should be the line above that.

mr_nothin

Banned
SappYoda said:
I meant not notifying their customers/PSN users. I understand everything in that post you linked and I also think how they handled the intrusion is textbook and it's what they should have done. What they didnt do is notify their customers in a timely manner. They still havent emailed PSN users yet...well maybe they dont have access to the PSN user's email addresses right now since they shutdown PSN. Point is, we didnt know much of anything for 6 days.

I understand both sides and it's hard to say who's right and who's wrong. I know that businesses cant speak on much until they know what's going on but they have to give their customers some kind of warm-and-fuzzy to hold them over.

I agree with both sides since I know what it's like from both sides.

alstein said:
Does anyone think that when PSN is back up, that a good portion (say 30-40%) of the playerbase doesn't come back?

If this happens, I might as well convert back myself.
Don't be ridiculous. Everyone is going to come back.
The only question is, when will consumers start trusting them again and begin purchasing goods of off PSN with their credit card.

phosphor112 said:
Yeah? So what if it is? They had it secure. I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk a ban, but this wouldn't be an issue if CFW people just stfu and stop being fucking self entitled to god damn everything. I've said this TIME AND TIME again.

We are in a stage of media convergence
, hardware and software is pretty much all connected in some way with personal data.

All this "I want to make my hardware do what ever I want" shit puts TOO many people at risk. Why do we have walled gardens? So fucking idiots can't come inside the garden and shit and set fire to every plant in it. There are security measures for each device for a reason, and it's to PROTECT the people. Sony is Anti-consumer? Yes, because protecting everyone from identity theft is fucking anti-consumer.

You know, if FailOverflow never announced this shit, we wouldn't be here in this thread. I understand wanting to use your product the way you wish, but this isn't a world filled with only butterflies and fucking flowers. Get over yourselves. (not directed to sasuke).

/rage

Hear Hear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom