• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Despite all the "sky is falling" posts on here, I doubt that NPDs will be affected by this at all. All of you guys saying you're "done with Sony" will come back to the fold with Uncharted 3.

Wrong.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
CartridgeBlower said:
Zipper must be angry as hell that Socom 4 was basically DOA because of this. Whole franchise may be fucked.
Yeah that really sucks for them.

Great Rumbler said:
I'm sure everyone who's had their information stolen will feel much better knowing that Sony did everything "by the book".

That wasn't the point of my post or that post on SarcasticGamer. It's just to point out that Sony wasn't operating improperly with this. It doesn't justify in any way that the info was apparently let out to begin with.

-PXG-

angelfly said:
Consumer confidence in Sony is taking a permanent hit from this. Especially from those that are affected by it.

Not just consumers, but publishers too. You know they are pissed as well. Getting support for NGP and PS4 will be a nightmare.

paskowitz

syoaran said:
(Only quoting some of your post here paskowitz, you did make some good points but I wanted to highlight this)

Honestly, I don't think a hacking group which goes to steal CC information from customers is out the same hacking group that wants to hurt Sony for the sake of it. I also don't think you can draw a line and say that the PS3 being opened up is the root cause of personal information being stolen. If this was the case, then everyone who has ever registered their CC details with Microsoft has already had their details stolen many times over, as the 360 has been hacked from year1.

I did not say that the PS3 getting opened up was the root cause. There is never just one root, in trees and in life.

dude said:
This is the biggest load of crap in this thread. ffs.

Really. You think they did this to steal credit card information? There are countless easier ways to do that than hacking a major corporations consumer video game network. I think people are assuming they just waltz right into the PSN... I sincerely doubt that.

daffy

Banned
Thunderbear said:
Why is no one in the media, or most of the internet discussing this, blame the hacker? I don't get it.
You mean blaming the hackers? Probably because they don't care enough to crack down on it when they can just sue and/or blame Sony

A.R.K said:
needs to be quoted here:

by the way checked my CC and so far so good...I have put extra alerts on it for precautions...hopefully its not doomsday like some of you are shouting
man get that common sense and logic out of here!!! Can't you tell this is the Sony FUD thread?

Barrett2

alstein said:
Does anyone think that when PSN is back up, that a good portion (say 30-40%) of the playerbase doesn't come back?

If this happens, I might as well convert back myself.

Realistically, I think that 2-3 weeks of downtime will be a bigger factor than the security issues. I have to assume a large portion of their active PSN userbase are fairly unaware of, or not appreciative of the magnitude of the breach, and will be more concerned with the fact that PSN hasn't been working.

I think there is a not insignificant portion of active PSN users for whom 2 week downtime will have a significant impact on their short term future usage. Out of sight - out of mind.

Loudninja said:
With is with all this hyperbole?

While the entire franchise might not "literally" be in jeapordy, do you honestly think that launching your mostly online shooter the day that the network gets blowed up is not a catastrophic turn of events for Zipper? Of course this is nothing less than a disaster for Zipper.

Araxen

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
If it's a debit/credit card combo, just call your bank and have them send a new debit card.

I went to my bank today and had them cancel my current card and they are sending me a new one. Better to be safe than sorry. Getting your CC/Debit# changed is pretty trivial and common sense thing to do in this situation and the Bank will gladly do it for you.

Dunlop

IchigoSharingan said:
Why wouldn't you be pissed at Sony?

Why?

They have just been caught using god damn client side validation techniques that have been known to be DISASTROUS SINCE FUCKING 2003! Always keep the important shit server side. ALWAYS. Or you will ALWAYS see hacking.

And you're not pissed at them?

Fuck their incompetent network engineers. Fuck their security team. Fire them all. Every last one of them. No wonder they're bringing in a 3rd party security firm.

regardless, they waited over a week to let people know that their confidential info has likely been stolen. They can fucking rot now.

Already alerted Visa that my card was comprimised, they have already been receiving similar calls

Nizz

Xenon said:
35mi891.gif

Sony's PR strategy
I know the situation's really messed up right now with everything going on but damn if I didn't laugh hard at this :D :D

SyNapSe

It'd be nice if they'd turn back on the service so I can figure out what password I used for Sony. It's been auto logging me on forever and I have no idea what it's set as.

Feel really bad for people who just bought Socom 4, Mortal Kombat, and Portal 2. :(

I got a lot of PSP crap. Damn it, I don't know if I want a NGP anymore. :(

Anyone worry about Nintendo and Wii2 especially if they're going to solidify some kind of new online plan? But at least now I know what to do after this disaster.

NEVER use a CC# again!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If your only reason to post is to post some variation of "Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a total idiot" or "All of GAF is saying <x> and <x> is stupid", let me reiterate this paragraph from the stickied thread:

- Thread Whining / Respect to Others. It's not that "Haters gonna hate" is a banned meme, it's that it's often used to be flippant and dismissive to other posters. If someone is trying to explain what they think about something, either treat them with respect or don't reply at all. So when you post "u mad", "deal with it", "haters gonna hate", "the GAF hivemind", "but GAF said x and now they're saying y!!!", "entitled whiners" or anything else that suggests that you don't care what other people think, you may be banned if it is taking away from discussion. This is getting to be a pretty big problem, and it's probably the single largest category of bans these days. If you don't want to discuss something, you don't need to post.

This also includes things like "weekend gaf", "sounds like a GameFAQs threads", "tl;dr", "cool story, bro", "who gives a shit", etc. If you think a particular thread is lowering a quality of the forum, PM a moderator about it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MMaRsu said:
I don't think this hack has much to do with failoverfl0w or whatever..

just CC hackers

This probably has a lot to do with it. Not them specifically, but custom firmware in general.

Stumpokapow said:
If your only reason to post is to post some variation of "Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a total idiot" or "All of GAF is saying <x> and <x> is stupid", let me reiterate this paragraph from the stickied thread:

There's a splash of cold water!

Vinci

Danish
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Feel really bad for people who just bought Socom 4, Mortal Kombat, and Portal 2. :(

Anyone worry about Nintendo and Wii2 especially if they're going to solidify some kind of new online plan? But at least now I know what to do after this disaster.

NEVER use a CC# again!

Yup. Going with prepaid cards from now on. Thank you very much for the lesson, Sony and hackers.

daffy

Banned
Araxen said:
I went to my bank today and had them cancel my current card and they are sending me a new one. Better to be say than sorry. Getting your CC/Debit# changed is pretty trivial thing to do and the Bank will gladly do it for you.
So then why did you cancel?

darkwing

alr1ghtstart said:
This probably has a lot to do with it. Not them specifically, but custom firmware in general.

Sony should have rebuild the PSN when the cfw was able to login, maybe they thought a week downtime would be too much lols

syoaran

teruterubozu said:
I guess I meant more as a PR standpoint, especially with those saying Sony is finished here.

Way too soon to tell how Sony has done (PR wise), until we understand the scope of this, and what exactly Sony have been doing in the past 6 days.

I think comparing the two incidents is incredibly insensitive however, the lack of the PSN service or getting a new card are inconvenient and frustrating, not life threatening.

Adamm said:
This is a good post :)

No he is saying that Sony did what every other company that fucked up did.

He uses the word "textbook" a lot but what it really amounts to is this:

Sony fucked up in a textbook manner. Just because other companies that also fucked up did the same thing afterwards doesn't make this any better. If anything, it makes it worse because they didn't put the proper protocols in place after those fuck ups nor did they improve on the way those companies handled the problem.

I also can't believe that the guy defends Sony by saying this:

you should know that all there are not are recommendations or guidelines, there are no LAWS yet that force companies to certain degrees of protection

Ok, so there are no laws that they broken, then it must be perfectly ok then, huh?

What a ridiculous statement. I would like to know what security company this guy works for because I would never use his security. He seems to have a very non-challant attitude toward security breaches.

alstein

FTH said:
If you cancel your credit card due to this I think you're making a horrible mistake. If you are responsible and diligent enough you can watch your bank statements and act accordingly. No need to mess your credit .

Just get a new number, that's sufficient if your account hasn't been compromised.

bob page

lawblob said:
Realistically, I think that 2-3 weeks of downtime will be a bigger factor than the security issues. I have to assume a large portion of their active PSN userbase are fairly unaware of, or not appreciative of the magnitude of the breach, and will be more concerned with the fact that PSN hasn't been working.

I think there is a not insignificant portion of active PSN users for whom 2 week downtime will have a significant impact on their short term future usage. Out of sight - out of mind.

While the entire franchise might not "literally" be in jeapordy, do you honestly think that launching your mostly online shooter the day that the network gets blowed up is not a catastrophic turn of events for Zipper? Of course this is nothing less than a disaster for Zipper.
Yeah, it's pretty devastating for Zipper. Most people aren't going to be buying the game because they know multiplayer is down, not to mention the lost hours of playtime and interest.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

NEVER use a CC# again!
i wouldn't trust nintendo with that sort of data either

microsoft, apple and valve seem like they know what they're doing. sony and nintendo, on the other hand...

Zenith

Banned
graywolf323 said:
Some perspective:
- Any company as large as Sony has the potential to be hacked. Just because Sony was hacked does not mean they are "incompetent".
- "Cybercrime" is a HUGE issue around the world. Most of the incident you do not even hear about, but they have a profound effect. The CIA and FBI have entire building dedicated to it. Even more crazy there are 40+ hackers in China for every 1 information security analyst in the US and UK.
- In fact it shows just how competent the hackers are. They knew exactly what to do and how to do it. I would not be surprised if this was more than a bunch of pissed off basement dwellers. It probably involved a large group.
- Sony did not want to release information until it was 100% confirmed. Its simple corporate policy. Trust me for the sake of their PR staff, they wanted this info out ASAP.

But really what should scare everyone and I surprised (wait no I am not) that no one has mentioned, is the hackers intentions. They knew that if they broke open the PSN it would do more than pirating PS3 games or cracking the PS3 to run whatever they wanted. When they do that nobody notices. Nobody cares. In fact they just look silly. They knew it would cause Sony substantial financial and public image damage. That is huge. The effect of this is easily in the upper millions of dollars once all is said and done. Now who has the last laugh? The hackers only had to cause Sony to shut the system down. Their goals was not your information, or that you purchased My Little Pony Home costumes, it was to hurt Sony. Mission accomplished.

1030-02.jpg

very good point

"other companies also have lax security" and "if you blame Sony the terrorists hackers win!" are not good points

dude

dude
paskowitz said:
I did not say that the PS3 getting opened up was the root cause. There is never just one root, in trees and in life.

Really. You think they did this to steal credit card information? There are countless easier ways to do that than hacking a major corporations consumer video game network. I think people are assuming they just waltz right into the PSN... I sincerely doubt that.
I edited my post, so you might not have seen it, so I'll post it again here:
1. They were after the info, and probably don't care about hurting Sony. The intention if identity theft and fraud.
If this was some free software activists they would have boasted about this from every blogtop in the internet. We should all hope that's the case, though, at least then the data will probably not end in the hands of some chinese criminal ring.

2. Companies are attacked, but most companies seem to be competent enough to keep their users info. Maybe Sony used every reasonable technology they had and the hackers were crazy good - But I do not give the benefit of the doubt that easily. Until this is said by a court, I'll have to assume Sony in incompetent on account of them failing where others have succeeded.

The whole Geohotz and CFW fiasco probably provided some aid to the hackers, but I doubt they're affiliated.

And I almost bought final fight double impact when it was on sale. I wonder if capcom will keep that signed-in-at-all-times bullshit out from the remainder of their games...

IrishNinja

MMaRsu said:
I don't think this hack has much to do with failoverfl0w or whatever..

just CC hackers

thank you. the same corporate cheerleaders in here blaming "entitled CFW users" with that same tired-ass song & dance.

and yeah, going right back on PSN when its back up, but ill be more cautious linking credit cards, which i should be on any service really.

Zenith said:
"other companies also have lax security" and "if you blame Sony the terrorists hackers win!" are not good points

also, this, as that's pretty much what i gathered from that post as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom