• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LiK said:
yep, why are people canceling? change the damn number only.

Erm, they have to issue you a new card to change the number. When someone says they're cancelling their card, that's what they mean.

Vamphuntr

I wonder how can they rebuild everything. I mean if users info are compromised it pretty much means that hackers have your info and possibly can login before you do in your account and change your password. They would need to send you a link to activate your account again but even them it's possible that the hackers have your email address.

Sony will lose billions because of that security breach. Wonder if we will see their stock take a dive tomorrow.

larvi

I just noticed this in the FAQ:

Q.7 Have you notified those users?

We are sending out e-mails directly to these users to their e-mail address registered on the PS Network accounts. Also, we have posted web notices, and additional necessary procedures have been followed by each region

Has anyone received an email yet? I certainly haven't.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Stumpokapow said:
If your only reason to post is to post some variation of "Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a total idiot" or "All of GAF is saying <x> and <x> is stupid", let me reiterate this paragraph from the stickied thread:
9i3NK.gif

syoaran said:
Way too soon to tell how Sony has done (PR wise), until we understand the scope of this, and what exactly Sony have been doing in the past 6 days.

I think comparing the two incidents is incredibly insensitive however, the lack of the PSN service or getting a new card are inconvenient and frustrating, not life threatening.

Sorry, didn't mean to be insensitive. Just trying to find a similar Japanese corporate failure on a similar scale and Toyota's all that came up.

alr1ghtstart said:
This probably has a lot to do with it. Not them specifically, but custom firmware in general.

Unless you know how -any- CFW was used to infiltrate server side activity on the level of CC, and not just accessing devnets, you are just making shit up.

Rebug was mostly client side manipulation that was far too trusted. This is server side!!!!!!

Adamm

iNvidious01 said:
i just checked my bank account and its all good

anyone who has lost money yet?

Sony says no cases have been reported yet.

Few people on here saying some has, but nothing has been confirmed

Salaadin

LiK said:
what CC company? a fee?

Its a bank debit card. I know Im an idiot for using debit.
Anyways, they have a 10 dollar re-issue charge which Ill gladly pay if it saves me a possible headache later on.

bob page

iNvidious01 said:
i just checked my bank account and its all good

anyone who has lost money yet?
My brother had a flight to Norway charged to his credit card late last week. He's never had any fraud issues before this.

LiK

Stumpokapow said:
Erm, they have to issue you a new card to change the number. When someone says they're cancelling their card, that's what they mean.

i assume some people are canceling their account altogether.

Untracked

larvi said:

We are sending out e-mails directly to these users to their e-mail address registered on the PS Network accounts. Also, we have posted web notices, and additional necessary procedures have been followed by each region

No emails here!

I wonder how "easy" it was for hackers to do this? For them was it a slap-your-forehead kind of discovery? Not exactly leaving the front door key under the doormat, but maybe inside one of those hollow plastic rocks?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Vamphuntr said:
I wonder how can they rebuild everything. I mean if users info are compromised it pretty much means that hackers have your info and possibly can login before you do in your account and change your password. They would need to send you a link to activate your account again but even them it's possible that the hackers have your email address.

Sony will lose billions because of that security breach. Wonder if we will see their stock take a dive tomorrow.

Email link confirmation I'd guess.

Barrett2

-PXG- said:
Oh yeah, so who's still excited for NGP?...

Aint' nothing stopping my NGP hype! Seriously, this PSN breach really won't impact my decision to purchase the shit outta that system day 1. Granted, in the future I will probably just buy a handful of pre-paid cards rather than use my CC on PSN, but other than that, im' still on-fuckin-board!! Wipeout HD on my daily commute, bitch!!!!

Sony better pony up some extra security for whoever they send to E3, or hire a lot of large black guys to rep their wares. Either way, just tell me where to send my resumé Sony.

Green Biker Dude said:
i wouldn't trust nintendo with that sort of data either

microsoft, apple and valve seem like they know what they're doing. sony and nintendo, on the other hand...
Has Nintendo done any kind of online plan before? I don't think so, right?

I hate buying those Nintendo points but I guess that's what I'll be doing.

SRG01

So now the question becomes: Surely other online systems have been hacked into as well? Or is it the scale of the PSN hack that has everyone rattled?

Bank has issued me a new card:

changed passwords @ 10 websites

I am DONE using my card for Live or PSN or anything online anymore.

I am getting a secured CC with a low limit and using that from now on.

edit: If I had not seen this thread I would have had no idea, my email linked to PSN has nothing.

Sony is a failure right now..

larvi said:

If I hadn't been following this thread and/or twitter I likely never would have found out about this fiasco.

Thanks for the email Sony. fuckwads. Wads of fuck.

Cruzader

Banned
LuFel said:
too bad SONY!!

hackers gonna hack...
lol nice play on words.

Im not really worried since like some guy posted, hacker's intentions were to fuck Sony and not consumers but you never know.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
alr1ghtstart said:
Email link confirmation I'd guess.
They have to send a tokenized link to every email account. Really the only way to do it.

Cruzader said:
lol nice play on words.

Im not really worried since like some guy posted, hacker's intentions were to fuck Sony and not consumers but you never know.
what

paskowitz

dude said:
I edited my post, so you might not have seen it, so I'll post it again here:

The whole Geohotz and CFW fiasco probably provided some aid to the hackers, but I doubt they're affiliated.

Fair enough. But I still feel this was an intention attack against Sony. Why spend all that time and resources on Sony? That and the timing of it all. Your point is fair.

Also for a new page. http://forums.sarcasticgamer.com/showpost.php?p=645846&postcount=734

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lovegooder said:
I wonder how "easy" it was for hackers to do this? For them was it a slap-your-forehead kind of discovery? Not exactly leaving the front door key under the doormat, but maybe inside one of those hollow plastic rocks?

It varies wildly from attack to attack.

Sometimes it is easy. Sometimes it's very tough. Sometimes the security is tough but social engineering is easy. Sometimes the actual server that gets hacked is very secure, but another server on the network is not, and the insecure server is hacked, and from there access is progressively gained to more critical services.

kaskade

Well good news is I never changed my PSN password when that whole gawker thing happened. I basically changed all the others though. Hopefully nothing too bad comes from this.

Raist

Banned
phosphor12 said:
Yeah? So what if it is? They had it secure. I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk a ban, but this wouldn't be an issue if CFW people just stfu and stop being fucking self entitled to god damn everything. I've said this TIME AND TIME again.

We are in a stage of media convergence, hardware and software is pretty much all connected in some way with personal data.

All this "I want to make my hardware do what ever I want" shit puts TOO many people at risk. Why do we have walled gardens? So fucking idiots can't come inside the garden and shit and set fire to every plant in it. There are security measures for each device for a reason, and it's to PROTECT the people. Sony is Anti-consumer? Yes, because protecting everyone from identity theft is fucking anti-consumer.

You know, if FailOverflow never announced this shit, we wouldn't be here in this thread. I understand wanting to use your product the way you wish, but this isn't a world filled with only butterflies and fucking flowers. Get over yourselves. (not directed to sasuke).

/rage

But I wanted to play super metroid on my PS3 =(

[Nintex]

EternalGamer said:
What a ridiculous statement. I would like to know what security company this guy works for because I would never use his security. He seems to have a very non-challant attitude toward security breaches.
Not to mention that there are laws for this in most of the 40 countries PSN is active in. Companies make you sign NDA's before you even get to look at any names saved in databases and such for that reason. The safety of information is pretty much the bread and butter of IT/software companies and their clients. If people don't trust you they don't want your services and sure as hell don't leave their personal information behind.

LiK

JetBlackPanda said:
Bank has issued me a new card:

changed passwords @ 10 websites

I am DONE using my card for Live or PSN or anything online anymore.

I am getting a secured CC with a low limit and using that from now on.

yep, i only use one CC for Live and PSN. so if it gets fraud charges, no biggie with it.

Luckily I didn't do any dealings with Gawker when that shit went down but I might change all my passwords (Hard to keep track of all the accounts for shit I have these days) anyway.

Raine

I don't understand why this would change anyone's excitement for NGP. I'm sure this will be all patched by then and if you didn't want to use your CC info on it, I'm sure PSN cards will work for it too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Sony said:
While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility...

Since when did "there is no evidence" turn into "YOU NEED TO CANCEL ALL YOUR CREDIT CARDS!"

... If you've EVER purchased anything online with a credit card, then I promise you this is not the first time your information has been comprised. These types of things could literally happen to any company. It's not Sony's fault for "not taking care of my information". Please. What motivation do they have to be negligent?

... Who doesn't already watch their credit card statements daily? You think you're not going to notice some fraudulent charges? If you actually your checking account debit card online, then let this be a lesson: that is dangerous.

You would think a website like GAF would know the dangers of shopping online, and changing and storing passwords. The internet is a dangerous place, people. Wake up, and be smart.

Atolm

I think the issue is serious, but not enough to deserve the meltdowns I've seen so far.

I mean, in today's world, gazillions of private data are available everywhere. Shit, here in my country there's a guy selling for 210 euro a database that contains private data from about 36 million persons (sorry, spanish link, but it's from a major spanish newspaper). That's 4/5 of the total population. It's illegal but the selling and trade of private data is a huge and shadowy bussiness among big corporations and in the black market, believe it or not.

Sure, what has happened needs to be inspected throughly but, sadly, it's the rule, not the exception. If you want privacity in today's world, just burn your gadgets, stop paying your bills and go to live to the Himalaya or something like that. Notice, I'm referring to privacity, not anonymity, which is an entirely different matter.

IMACOMPUTA

So how likely is it that Best Buy will let me return an opened copy of Portal 2 PS3?

I bought it in order to redeem the free Steam copy, but seriously fuck this.
I've waited a week. I want my money back.

-PXG-

SolidSnakex said:
If their games sell well on Sony's systems (and they do) then why wouldn't they?

I don't know about you, but idea of my company's content being extracted and put on torrent sites, along with losing money due to the network being down for over a week doesn't sit too well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom