• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINALBOSS said:
You realise you just quoted yourself right?

Oh, and downloading 77m records wouldn't take days. I work with millions of records on a daily basis and with compression you're talking about minutes, not even hours.

justin.au

My being a luddite with regards to digital distribution pays off once again. All that was compromised for me (possibly) was a password I only use for PSN and fake personal details but I really feel for those you that linked your CC etc.

Well done, Sony.

Tom Penny

Captain Tuttle said:
Quoting yourself? Man, you are on fire!

LOL this is the first thing I see in the thread LOL. If shit happens with peoples credit cards Sony is fucked. You can't gain back that trust and word of mouth would spread like wildfire.

daffy

Banned
MThanded said:
Why hasnt sony sent emails? lol
They just informed us to watch out for fraudulent emails claiming to be Sony.
ULTROS! said:
Oh, so I guess I don't need to be super worried huh.

And I thought CC info has been leaked when I've been reading through this thread. :p
So I guess this means this is situation is at Gawker Hack level but the info hasn't been leaked yet.
Yep, alot of misinfo posted here in the chaos, entire database etc.

wwm0nkey

Just got home from working at GameStop....a lot of people seem to want Sony's head for this, got one PS3 trade in because of this too.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
justin.au said:
My being a luddite with regards to digital distribution pays off once again. All that was compromised for me (possibly) was a password I only use for PSN and fake personal details but I really feel for those you that linked your CC etc.

Well done, Sony.

How has it paid off before? What are you missing out on to reap these benefits?

so it is now confirmed. there is no bs 6 day gap between when they discovered data was compromised and when they announced it. a day-ish is understandable.

the next step (for the investigation team) should be assessing weather or not CC data was compromised, followed by following any trails to who did this.

as for the PSN team at sony themselves, keep on crackin till you get things to a state where they can come back online. the even shittier thing is that they are going to need to know how the breach happened before they engineer the new infrastructure to prevent it from happening again. it's like on Phenomenon when he couldn't figure out how the rabbits were eating his crops until he found out how they got in to begin with. (which is a shitty example because the rabbit was already inside the garden LOL)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FTH said:
They just informed us to watch out for fraudulent emails claiming to be Sony.

Yep, alot of misinfo posted here in the chaos, entire database etc.

Good to know, my address wasn't exactly real anyway.

Apath

wwm0nkey said:
Just got home from working at GameStop....a lot of people seem to want Sony's head for this, got one PS3 trade in because of this too.
Maybe I can find a PS3 for cheap to use with one of my monitors. My current one is way too loud -_-

If anyone is upset over this and wants to sell their PS3 or controllers, hit me up =]

chubigans said:
Haven't seen many PSPGO owners threatening to sell their systems.

Oh, right.
PSP's online is pretty minimal -- mostly just for buying games. I didn't realize I couldn't use PSN with my PSP until I tried to log in to MediaGo yesterday, but it's not like I NEED to buy a game. But that does bring up another fair point:
3. Sony should compensate PSP Go owners =D

FINALBOSS

Banned
Psychotext said:
You realise you just quoted yourself right?

Oh, and downloading 77m records wouldn't take days. I work with millions of records on a daily basis and with compression you're talking about minutes, not even hours.

LOL. Whoops.

I thought that statement looked familiar.

Hex

Banned
careful said:
I don't understand how people can defend Sony for this.

There is a difference in defending Sony and not going off the deep end with dramatic fud.
EVERY network is vulnerable, that is all there is to it, all you have to do is get in the sights of someone willing to take the time and energy.
You can ask any network security manager or any network security teacher and they will tell you the same thing.
Sony's mistake and their flaw in this was their communication.

The ones who people should be a bit more pissed at are hackers and those eager to misuse CFW.

This thread is so full of complete crap, dramatic bullshit, and just blatant trolling by people who love drama and people who have agendas that people who are looking for real information and people who are genuinely affected are getting lost in the ocean of idiocy.

UberTag

wwm0nkey said:
I entertained the idea of a system trade-in but I've got nothing else to play BluRays on right now. ^^;

A multidimensional database with 77 million customer entries would be fucking massive in size. I work at an insurance company and our databases are huge, with nowhere near 77 million customer entries.

If it is just a list of names and numbers, than it could be tiny. It depends on how complicated the DB is.

sullyj

wwm0nkey said:

Jesus Christ

Pack it up folks, game over for the PS3.

Akuosa

For the people asking about the emails from Sony notifiying this, I just got one. It's exactly the same as the last update.

Maxwell House said:
A multidimensional database with 77 million customer entries would be fucking massive in size. I work at an insurance company and our databases are huge, with nowhere near 77 million customer entries.

Yeah, Gawkers one was already stripped and it was still pretty big. No where near as 77 million either.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
wwm0nkey said:

Why would you trade in your PS3 when you can still play all your games, all the games that will come out, and continue to use online services without entering a credit card. It's hard not to see such principled overreactions as pure nonsense. You're hurting yourself far more than you're hurting Sony, and you're not reducing your risk of future harm any more than you would be if you just keep your CC info out of their new system.

MechaX

Captain Tuttle said:
Quoting yourself? Man, you are on fire!

5483996304_9732a66b47.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
FINALBOSS said:
FINALBOSS said:
Yes.

The hacker was logged in for days to be able to download a file that stores the data of 77 million people.

You know how ridiculous that sounds?

This
Uh?
Did you just forget to log out of your alt-account before agreeing with yourself?

RuGalz

wwm0nkey said:

So... he just left his account active on the system? What an idiot!

STG

Maxwell House said:
but your tag says you are dumb, how reliable are you? O_-

Hex

Banned
Kenak said:
Maybe I can find a PS3 for cheap to use with one of my monitors. My current one is way too loud -_-

If anyone is upset over this and wants to sell their PS3 or controllers, hit me up =]

You can get a good deal from grandpa here, he is so pissed he is selling six of them and not only that his hatred and ire was so worked up that he fell through a time portal and unloaded more in the past.

FirstInHell said:
This is the last straw for me. I just put my PS3 up on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStatio...Video_Games&hash=item48403137c6#ht_1884wt_905

I'm so done with Sony.

Oppo

Replicant said:
Still, this is really lousy. I'm more concerned about my personal information than my CC details. The problem is that we can't login to PSN right now to change anything. I don't blame Sony as much as I blame the shitty hackers. Having said that, Sony is still responsible for this and appropriate measures must be taken to calm the angry users.

Yeah I agree. I doubt there's much in the way of a class action available to regular users just 'cause of the T&S but with the Plus users it gets into much more of a gray area (I'm sure it's T&S indemnifies it as well but when money is exchanged, there is, shall we say an extra gravitas).

I'm not to worried about stuff like my address 'cause I am frankly pretty fatalistic about that, this info is just out there in a billion ways for almost anyone of a fixed address of more than 1 year, so whatevs. But the CC info and any sort of anomalies with past purchases on PSN (I have about 30ish games) is definitely of concern. I am a big believer in not pre-emptively stressing out though so until something bad actually happens to my card or account, there's no sense in getting worked up about it.

Zapages

I guess PS4 will come early now with better PSN structure. :|

I really hope Sony figures this out as I was one of main people here who got about 3 other folks to buy PS3 and set everything up for them.

Hell one of my neighbor was playing PS3 games on 480p. :| He never configured his PS3 with HDMI cable. He was so pissed during the week that he could play COD. :| This is going to be real bad for Sony regardless what outcome. :(

wwm0nkey said:

So he sold his $300-$400 Ps3 for like 40 bucks?

He sure showed them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom