• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylej

Banned
Arnie said:
Was their entire database pilfered? If so, yes.

Dude, don't waste your time arguing with MetalMurphy. Seriously.

Really, really wish I could remember if I linked my CC info or not...

Zeliard

Kagari said:
I'm a little surprised some of you use the same password for multiple things. When I originally signed up for PSN they wanted something with both letters and numbers so I created something that I never use elsewhere.

Yeah, it's one of the most common yet preventable ways people get their accounts hacked. They'll use the same password or only slight variations (e.g. numbers replacing letters) for everything.

It needs to be drilled into more people's heads that you should use notably different passwords for your various logins, ESPECIALLY if it's a case like PSN where you're logging in with an e-mail address (which functions as a 'username' at many sites, including obviously with that e-mail account itself).

I don't doubt that a very significant number of people have identical PSN and e-mail passwords with that same login, and those are the people in most immediate danger of being hacked. And if those people kept those two PWs identical then they're also likely to be using that same password at other sites, and those can potentially be invaded as well using either their PSN e-mail ID or regular handle ID.

greyshark

TTP said:
I don't want to make you paranoid but why would one who already has your Yahoo information (email and password) use attack programs anyway?

Was your Yahoo pass the very same as the PSN one?

Well if you've got millions or even thousands of accounts to go through, how else would you access them? Doing it by hand would take forever - I'd assume they'd use some kind of program in an attempt to mine whatever data they could.

It's been so long since I've typed in my password to my PSN account I'm not completely sure, but I think my Yahoo and PSN password were the same. Thankfully I don't use that password anywhere else.

X-Frame

I'm considering buying 1Password now for my Mac so I can have different passwords for everything and not lose track of any.

Vestal

Mael said:
And with 20+ years of experience they're still less reactive to bugs than freaking hobbyists.
Seriously if they can't even secure their most important income stream that's pretty telling on the security of their less important stuffs.

Seriously? Patch tuesday says hello. 90% of the consumer market puts a big bullseye right on your forehead.

Shall we forget when Vista was to be introduced how AV companies forced MS to pull one of the biggest security pieces in their software cause it would make alot of what AV companies make moot?

Apath

Cruzader said:
Ironic your ignore what he's pointing out. How bout you and the troll who apparently will sell his 6 ps3's on eBay have a chat?

Both extreme parties are present in this thread.
Troll? Ignore what he's pointing out? His post was made in general to no particular post (none indicated). So while I point out the idiocies of his post, you go on to point out that I didn't reply to an actual troll who has been called out a dozen times now? Really?

Sorry for ignoring that there is a conspiracy of fanboys that are more than half of the outcry over Sony. I don't personally feel anything against Sony, but I'm not going to defend them nor attack the people who do feel that Sony let them down.

EDIT: Misread, thought you were calling me a troll. My post was a "pot calling the kettle black" post.

Jinfash said:
The PS3 earned the "bad security" stigma after the signing keys' debacle and thorough explanation of the missteps they took with their approach. So when you have another major security-related issue coming hot on the heels of the recent, a lot of people would jump and accuse Sony of yet another misstep, and understandably so, imo.
I'm sure it was the same people working on both things.

X-Frame said:
I'm considering buying 1Password now for my Mac so I can have different passwords for everything and not lose track of any.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. Different password for everything and you wouldn't lose track of which is which.

Arnie

Metalmurphy said:
So the content of the network is what defines if the security is bad or not?

You're not making any sense.
Erm yes, of course. It's one thing to steal a single document or a single profile(as was noted by Rez when someone mentioned a single iTunes account being stolen) it's another to take their entire database. Secure networks aren't a single door that needs to be opened, they're a series of obstacles. It seems Sony didn't have a single obstacle this hacker couldn't overcome, that worries me. The other examples you mentioned, as long as you're dodging of the answer tells me what I think it does, did.

I'm making perfect sense.

Arnie said:
Erm yes, of course. It's one thing to steal a single document or a single profile(as was noted by Rez when someone mentioned a single iTunes account being stolen) it's another to take their entire database. Secure networks aren't a single door that needs to be opened, they're a series of obstacles. It seems Sony didn't have a single obstacle this hacker couldn't overcome, that worries me. The other examples you mentioned, as long as you're dodging of the answer tells me what I think it does, did.

I'm making perfect sense.

Yeah... and you know this how exactly?

And what exactly was the question? If their entire database was hacked? "Data was Compromised" was all they said. It is the Pentagon after all.

mr_nothin

Banned
Fatghost said:
Not concerned about my CC info as I only use a throwaway CC for online stuff and can easily close that account, not worried about changing email passwords either, but I don't like my name, address, birthday and the password questions being out there. Can't change that stuff, can't remember the 100s of places that info is used either.
Your Full Name/Birth Records/Certificates/Address History/Birthdate/Etc are already on the internet and can be accessed if someone wants to $20. Have people never heard of premium people search companies/sites?

Arnie said:
BECAUSE THEIR ENTIRE DATABASE WAS STOLEN
From one aspect of their company. It's PSN/Qcity. It's not like they got the keys to everything Sony.

Griffin

Blaming Sony is like blaming Japan for what has happened / is happening in Fukushima. External factors have caused tons of problems, millions of people are affected but both Sony and Japan did anything and are doing everything to solve the problem or at least assure the safety of the people. Yes, PSN wasn't as secure as they thought it was and Japan could have known the nuclear facility was in a dangerous location as well.

Arnie said:
SO WHAT? You don't know what the hacker did to get it. He could have gotten through tons of "obstacles" as you mentioned it. You're saying he basically just went in there, bruteforced a password and downloaded it or something.

YOU DON'T KNOW.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
KingOfKong said:
it would be very interesting to see how many of these people in this thread bashing and casting blame on Sony actually have a PS3
or not
. Just saying...

It wouldn't be that interesting. You can always speculate that some small proportion of posters are motivated by whatever it is you think they're motivated by rather than good sense. It doesn't add anything. This thread is shitty enough already.

The point is, reasonable people can disagree on this matter. You don't have to be a Sony bootlicker or a lowlife hacker/thief to have a strong opinion on either side of this thing.

Personally, I'm disappointed in Sony's security and will be keeping an eye on my credit card activity. It took both a hacker and a security flaw to bring this situation about and I'm going to allocate blame accordingly (i.e. to both parties).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Niks said:
probably been asked before..
Is there a way to change the PSN password right now?
No, the servers are still down at the moment. They'll probably do some sort of system wide password reset when they bring it back online. If they don't, the account management site should let you change your password.

D23

WOW.. so my dad just called me and asked me about this whole playstation etwork down thing. he apparently saw it in the 6pm news. lolol

GeekyDad

Wow, man...Sony has basically confirmed the worst possible scenario here. There's no way I'd trust them with my credit card information in the future, and I'm guessing a lot of other folks are going to feel the exact same way. This mess will likely hit them very, very hard. Possibly one of the worst black eyes in gaming history. Definitely one of the worst financial disasters in gaming, at least as far as the end user is concerned.

careful

Can't believe I have to change all my passwords... Fucking bullshit.
And for those saying to keep a separate passwords for every site, you must be joking..

D23 said:
WOW.. so my dad just called me and asked me about this whole playstation etwork down thing. she apparently saw it in the 6pm news. lolol
That's pretty bad

Papa Neuromancer hasn't checked in yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time

daffy

Banned
Arnie said:
No confirmation on just how many accounts were accessed. It could be the entire database, but that's a really big database. Sony shut it down when they found the opening.

In fact they say "certain accounts" in the press release.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Griffin said:
Blaming Sony is like blaming Japan for what has happened / is happening in Fukushima. External factors have caused tons of problems, millions of people are affected but both Sony and Japan did anything and are doing everything to solve the problem or at least assure the safety of the people. Yes, PSN wasn't as secure as they thought it was and Japan could have known the nuclear facility was in a dangerous location as well.

I think the bank vault analogy works well for this situation.

You're mad at both the thieves and the bank. The thieves for obviously being little shitheads, and the bank for not preparing for the worst.

ZZMitch

God dammit Sony. I sold my PS3 six months ago and it comes back to bite me in the ass. This and Microsoft bullshitting me into an extra year of xbox live because of their stupid renewal canceling system has really made me hate online on these fucking consoles.

At least I still have PC

Mael

Vestal said:
Seriously? Patch tuesday says hello. 90% of the consumer market puts a big bullseye right on your forehead.

Shall we forget when Vista was to be introduced how AV companies forced MS to pull one of the biggest security pieces in their software cause it would make alot of what AV companies make moot?

A company that was unable to implement application isolation till not so long ago deserves what it gets.
It's their own fault if people managed to find exploits in their bug ridden mess.
Most of their problem shouldn't even have existed anyway.
At least they're better than Apple and their updates :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
SCEJ posted a similar article on their site saying that credit cards were presently not compromised as well.

I'm kinda conflicted...

So does this mean that not a lot of CC info were retrieved but we have to assume the worst and change our passwords just to be safe or something?

Hazelhurst

Absoludacrous said:
Ideally Sony has a way of resetting everyone's password when the service goes back up.
According to Sony:

"When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password."

They're leaving it up to us to change our password.

daffy

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
SO WHAT? You don't know what the hacker did to get it. He could have gotten through tons of "obstacles" as you mentioned it. You're saying he basically just went in there, bruteforced a password and downloaded it or something.

YOU DON'T KNOW.
:lol I don't know if it was intentional or not, but this was funny haha.

I never connected a CC to PSN and never will after this incident, I hope all your guy's info and CC information is safe for the sake of the hassle some might have to go through. Ill stick to buying playstation cards from here on out im sure most will do the same.

yoopoo

Banned
So why hasn't Sony sent emails to their customers yet?

A small software company, Ashampoo, was hacked recently. They even sent out emails, I bought some shitty software form them years ago and got this email from them:

We are writing to you concerning an important issue. We regret to tell you that we also detected an unauthorized access to one of our server systems. We assume that the attackers were able to purloin data of customers. Sensitive data such as billing information etc. is not affected by this, because Ashampoo does not store this data.

We summarized all pieces of information concerning this incident for you and would like you to read the following website: http://www.ashampoo.com/datatheft

But a fucking billion dollar company has zero communication with their customers.

Arnie

mr_nothin said:
From one aspect of their company. It's PSN/Qcity. It's not like they got the keys to everything Sony.
That's the only aspect that matters to me, the consumer.
Metalmurphy said:
SO WHAT? You don't know what the hacker did to get it. He could have gotten through tons of "obstacles" as you like mention it. You're saying he basically just went in there, bruteforced a password and downloaded it or something.

YOU DON'T KNOW.
I don't want to know what the hacker did to get it, all I know is that is was sufficient.

Look this is going nowhere, you're obviously just here to defend Sony no matter what, so a conclusion won't be reached. All I know is my(and 77 million others) personal information and credit card details could be in someone else's hands, something which has never happened to me before and you're trying to argue that Sony's network is as secure as anyone else's. Jesus.

mbmonk

I am glad Sony's experts know the "scope" of the attack yet they still don't know if our CC or profile info was compromised.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom