• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinfash said:
I wonder if we'll ever know.

Will we ever know?

It'd make an interesting read.

I think it would be smart of Sony to give as much detail as possible when all is back to being "secure".

Arnie said:
That's the only aspect that matters to me, the consumer.

I don't want to know what the hacker did to get it, all I know is that is was sufficient.

Look this is going nowhere, you're obviously just here to defend Sony no matter what, so a conclusion won't be reached. All I know is my(and 77 million others) personal information and credit card details are in someone else's hands
lol, please...

Arnie said:
something which has never happened to me before
It did to others though.

Arnie said:
and you're trying to argue that Sony's network is as secure as anyone else's. Jesus.
Yeah... I never actually said that...

All I've been saying is, don't make stupid assumptions when you have no idea what exactly happened.

patsu

alr1ghtstart said:
I think the bank vault analogy works well for this situation.

You're mad at both the thieves and the bank. The thieves for obviously being little shitheads, and the bank for not preparing for the worst.

I just hope they can be up within this week as promised and stay up ! KZ3 and Hulu Plus are waiting. My wife is nagging me almost every day when Hulu Plus will be up again. :lol

Mael

Arnie said:
BECAUSE THEIR ENTIRE DATABASE WAS STOLEN

That's it I'm out, when blatant misinformations are posted as facts I know it's time to sleep.

And this thread have not been in vain.
I'll try to finish that Sonic 06 starting tomorrow (and I'll update the thread accordingly I guess)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
alr1ghtstart said:
I think the bank vault analogy works well for this situation.

You're mad at both the thieves and the bank. The thieves for obviously being little shitheads, and the bank for not preparing for the worst.

I agree with this and I think some of the problem here is that people are inferring from the mere fact that it was hacked that Sony must not have prepared for the worst, which is fallacious. (Unless we know now that it was an easy hack and Sony was grossly unprepared. Do we know that?)

I wonder what kind of long term damage this is going to do the company. I am sure they are regretting their decision to go after the guy who cracked the PS3's security now.

fionel

I never saved my cc info on my psn account but I have bought things in the store with it. Does this mean my cc info would still be saved somewhere on their servers?

patsu

mbmonk said:
I am glad Sony's experts know the "scope" of the attack yet they still don't know if our CC or profile info was compromised.....

It means they know which systems were compromised, but they may not know what data the hackers had time to get out.

What's funny is right after Sony released that blog entry about compromised CC info, 10 minutes later a guy comes in and trades his PS3 in for a 360. For that reason.

Lol..

Arnie said:
That's the only aspect that matters to me, the consumer.

I don't want to know what the hacker did to get it, all I know is that is was sufficient.

Look this is going nowhere, you're obviously just here to defend Sony no matter what, so a conclusion won't be reached. All I know is my(and 77 million others) personal information and credit card details are in someone else's hands, something which has never happened to me before and you're trying to argue that Sony's network is as secure as anyone else's. Jesus.

Dude, you don't actually know this. Stop raging so hard.

daffy

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I'm kinda conflicted...

So does this mean that not a lot of CC info were retrieved but we have to assume the worst and change our passwords just to be safe or something?
Hmm? That means that no CC info was retrieved at their current knowledge, but to be safe you should be extra watchful on your accounts.
Hazelhurst said:
According to Sony:

They're leaving it up to us to change our password.
lol surely we can do that ourselves?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
fionel said:
I never saved my cc info on my psn account but I have bought things in the store with it. Does this mean my cc info would still be saved somewhere on their servers?
we don't know

Oppo

Kagari said:
I'm a little surprised some of you use the same password for multiple things. When I originally signed up for PSN they wanted something with both letters and numbers so I created something that I never use elsewhere.

This is the thing.

It's incredibly shitty what has happened, to all parties involved. It's shitty for customers living with extra uncertainty, and it's shitty for Sony as they've lost a fuckton of money and continue to do so with every day the PSN is closed.

However. (I tread carefully here.)

These hacks basically tell you nothing one way or the other about the level of Sony's security. Banks get hacked. All the time. But you don't hear about it.

Your CC company will protect you against any fraudulent charges that may appear.

But back to Kagari;s point - if you want to yell at Sony for bad security, then you had better have a 1-time password for every thing you use, 'cause it's bad security personally to employ non-unique passwords for any transactional account you may use.

Luckily I had done this as well. I am somewhat concerned, I'll keep an eye on things, but this is a facet of digital life that we're all growing into. I don't think it's the "largest data theft EVAR" as some have proclaimed, I think it's a pretty bad hack, but sadly not uncommon, and we all have to take our own steps to protect ourselves. I used unique passwords and I think I'll be adding prepaid cards to the mix. It's sad because it literally nullifies a bit of the convenience of DD purchases, but them's the breaks at this point, i guess.

There's really no amount of yelling you can do to Sony that their own motivations (stock prices/shareholders etc) won't visit upon them tenfold. Or, if you like, "Sony Corporation respects your right to have questions or concerns about this policy." ;)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
careful said:
I don't understand how people can defend Sony for this.

Can you understand that while Sony is to blame, the people who actually did the bad thing are also to blame? That might look like defending Sony to someone heavily committed to placing 100% of the blame on them.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I agree with this and I think some of the problem here is that people are inferring from the mere fact that it was hacked that Sony must not have prepared for the worst, which is fallacious. (Unless we know now that it was an easy hack and Sony was grossly unprepared. Do we know that?)

Well, if it is at all related to the backlash from the geohotz incident, which seems likely, then we can deduce two things:

1) It was done in a matter of weeks if not less.

2) It was not done by 'professional' hackers who make a career out of theft, but rather probably basement dwelling dudes who were pissed.

I'd say if some basement dudes with nothing to do for a couple of weeks can take down a multi-billion dollar company's security, something is fucked up.

daffy

Banned
fionel said:
I believe so, someone may correct me.

Zapages

My father just told me. I just check my CC and everything seems fine. I hope it stays that way. Also I check all of my emails and everything seems alright with no email from Sony notifying me about the bad news.

In the overall scheme of things, it a huge hamper to DD only future.

I hope Sony gives out something for free after all this ends, because this will end up being really bad PR for them.

Free move controller to all Sony customers.

FINALBOSS

Banned
EternalGamer said:
Well, if it is at all related to the backlash from the geohotz incident, which seems likely, then we can deduce two things:

2) It was not done by 'professional' hackers who make a career out of theft, but rather probably basement dwelling dudes who were pissed.

I'd say if some basement dudes with nothing to do for a couple of weeks can take down a multi-billion dollar company's security, something is fucked up.

Yeah...because what separates "professional" hackers and basement dwellers are their PhDs, right?

Zapages said:
My father just told me. I just check my CC and everything seems fine. I hope it stays that way. Also I check all of my emails and everything seems alright with no email from Sony notifying me about the bad news.

I hope Sony gives out something for free after all this ends, because this will end up being really bad PR for them.

LOL

Zapages said:

No one has gotten emails. Change your passwords anyway.

Hex

Banned
mbmonk said:
I am glad Sony's experts know the "scope" of the attack yet they still don't know if our CC or profile info was compromised.....

Kagari said:
SCEJ posted a similar article on their site saying that credit cards were presently not compromised as well.

Not 100% definitive but a good sign

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
mr_nothin said:
Your Full Name/Birth Records/Certificates/Address History/Birthdate/Etc are already on the internet and can be accessed if someone wants to $20. Have people never heard of premium people search companies/sites?

So that data is not useful for fraudsters?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why hasnt sony sent emails? lol

Zapages said:
I will when PSN goes back up.
314f41a9184bd1406fc7f103794a7.gif

Vestal

FINALBOSS said:
Yes.

The hacker was logged in for days to be able to download a file that stores the data of 77 million people.

You know how ridiculous that sounds?
Dude no....

That db would not be that big.. its just small text entries nothing else.

Each record wouldnt be more than half a kb

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FTH said:
Hmm? That means that no CC info was retrieved at their current knowledge, but to be safe you should be extra watchful on your accounts.

Oh, so I guess I don't need to be super worried huh.

And I thought CC info has been leaked when I've been reading through this thread. :p
So I guess this means this is situation is at Gawker Hack level but the info hasn't been leaked yet.

Replicant

PortTwo said:
These hacks basically tell you nothing one way or the other about the level of Sony's security. Banks get hacked. All the time. But you don't hear about it.

This is actually true. Maybe not all the time but quite often at least. At one point my bank told me that they decided to replace my credit card when I didn't ask for it or close to its expiration date. I asked them why and they just said "just to ensure your security and safety". LOL. Someone must have compromised their security or something.

Still, this is really lousy. I'm more concerned about my personal information than my CC details. The problem is that we can't login to PSN right now to change anything. I don't blame Sony as much as I blame the shitty hackers. Having said that, Sony is still responsible for this and appropriate measures must be taken to calm the angry users.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
EternalGamer said:

Take a hundred equally skilled hackers and a hundred equally well-built security systems. Some of those hackers are going to have more success than others purely due to chance. This is why any one incident of successful hacking is non-diagnostic, both in terms of the hacker's skill and the system's level of security. Again, we can speculate that it must have been easy to do because it didn't take long and it didn't take many people or whatever, but logically we can't conclude much. Which also means we can't reasonably 100% blame Sony for this incident.

JCtheMC

Great, it's 4 AM and i'm scrambling to change passwords to my email, and logins for sites that have my personal info/CC info. Thanks Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom