• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

wwm0nkey said:
Just got home from working at GameStop....a lot of people seem to want Sony's head for this, got one PS3 trade in because of this too.

Wouldn't that person's PSN details still be on the machine?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wario64 said:
Stumpokapow said:
No email on my PSN account email yet, so that's good! :)
Hackers already have your account.
kUD4F.png

Meier

The thing that disgusts me the most is the bit about security answers. That has MAJOR implications across the entire web! How could they not have had this information sufficiently decrypted? UGH.

ULTROS! said:
Question to all: When PSN goes back up and you changed your passwords, will you guys still purchase stuff on PSN?

I've always used pre-paid PSN cards and will continue to do so. Nothing will change for me personally.

Agent X

PortTwo said:
But back to Kagari;s point - if you want to yell at Sony for bad security, then you had better have a 1-time password for every thing you use, 'cause it's bad security personally to employ non-unique passwords for any transactional account you may use.

Luckily I had done this as well. I am somewhat concerned, I'll keep an eye on things, but this is a facet of digital life that we're all growing into. I don't think it's the "largest data theft EVAR" as some have proclaimed, I think it's a pretty bad hack, but sadly not uncommon, and we all have to take our own steps to protect ourselves. I used unique passwords and I think I'll be adding prepaid cards to the mix. It's sad because it literally nullifies a bit of the convenience of DD purchases, but them's the breaks at this point, i guess.

This is good advice.

Vestal

FINALBOSS said:

Do you even have the slightest idea of what he wrote? Do you know that even if the DB is multidimensional, in the end the data is still old plain text.. Ergo small in size.

FFS I am helping you here, I am giving Sony the benefit of doubt here. Saying that they didn't have a hacker hooked up to their network for days..

You should be thanking me.

daffy

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Question to all: When PSN goes back up and you changed your passwords, will you guys still purchase stuff on PSN?
Of course. Maybe I'll switch up from time to time and use Amazon more, but I was planning on doing that anyway.

LiK

ULTROS! said:

just gonna change my pw and that's it. everything else will be the same. if my CC is stolen, i can take care of that with my CC company easily. i'm not afraid.

Kyoufu

Aquavelvaman said:
Maybe with a prepaid card. Definitely not with a debit card.

Even with a debit card you can contact your bank and get it sorted.

But personally I refuse to keep my card infos on PSN/XBL.

yukonrye

ULTROS! said:

Yes. In fact the biggest thing that pissed me off about PSN being down is that I missed getting MvC2 for $7. I hope they extend that sale once everything is back up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiK said:
just gonna change my pw and that's it. everything else will be the same. if my CC is stolen, i can take care of that with my CC company easily. i'm not afraid.

Pretty much this, which is why all the panic is really uncalled for.

voltron said:
has to be up there.

This is unbelievable.

This doesn't even register on the scale of large data breaches. There have been numerous cases where 100+ million full credit card details and SSNs (read: information that's actually important) have been leaked. It takes years for that information to trickle down to various scrupulous individuals.

lol51

ULTROS! said:

This wont stop me, but I wont store CC info for easier purchases in future (for any service)

baekshi

Banned
ULTROS! said:
YES!

My wallet has $20, and I was set to purchase everything this tuesday...

vulva

Metalmurphy said:
Can't wait to submit to PlaystationEye recognition, and X-ray searches when I buy something on PSN.
Well, from some responses I'm seeing, people seem to act like measures such as that are the only feasible way to have a secure server. Anything that can be typed is automatically unsecure since someone got in.

I know it'll never happen, but Sony should issue security keyfobs. I'm less worried about my eBay / PayPal accounts, knowing that in addition to my password, a keyfob password is required.

Regardless, my reign of reckless drunken PSN purchases has come to an end. Now that I've decided to use cards only, I'll no longer be making impulse purchases.

Cruzader

Banned
mysteriousmage09 said:
Lol @ everyone dreading getting an e-mail when every e-mail address linked to a PSN account is suppose to get one.
Someone mentioned if you got one today it meant Sony for sure knew your info was jacked while those not getting it might not since they state they are unsure or some crap.

I'm sorry I asked a question, jerk.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
STG said:
what is this amazon hokem pokem?

you guys can buy psn games from amazon?

Yeah.

IIRC you can buy a few games cheaper. There was one time Grandia was being sold for $5.99 as compared to the PSStore's $9.99 Grandia.

Polari

How godammned incompentent do you have to be to store passwords in PLAIN TEXT?!? Seriously, what... the... fuck...? Sony deserve everything they get.

ULTROS! said:

I'll be honest. Probably. This would just increase my habit of checking my credit cards statements/transactions more throughly. I'll just never ever use a debit card.

And I'm not keeping my credit info for future purchases anymore like Amazon, newegg, Steam, etc.

Though now because of this thread it's neat to know you can buy PSN games from Amazon.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
At work we treat with really sensitive data (health history, transactions, RXs, basically confidential information about patients protected by the HIPAA act), so our product has an extremely high security norm. A breach like this can be the ruin for any healthcare company.

From time to time people who used to program in video game places (there aren't that many down here, but you got Globant which does third party work for Electronic Arts like menu design and translation, some startups and lots of Java game companies) and really, they leave a lot to be desired. I am not saying every game developer (or game developer wannabe) is a bad programmer, but most come with habits that are really hard to remove. They wonder why we use SQL if we could just put all the data in a text file and parse it when the program starts, why we don't code our own assembler routines to make the product go faster, they suggest the database should be in the same machine with the application server so that you only use one instead of two, they hardcode passwords inside the code...

Based on personal experience, I would never give my credit card (or any other sensible) information to a game company. Not that I have a credit card, having seen how banks manipulate database records whenever one of the bosses is in trouble for having given a credit to the wrong person has taught me to stay away from them.

You cannot have your client database dumped, it is just that simple. I hope game companies start taking real measures to protect the information for clients, and not only care about protecting their own copyrights.

Zoe

Polari said:
How godammned incompentent do you have to be to store passwords in PLAIN TEXT?!? Seriously, what... the... fuck...? Sony deserve everything they get.

source please

Vorg

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
Which I said was by accident. I think you're just upset that someone else who has expert knowledge in databases agrees with me.

You´re embarrassing yourself now.

Cruzader said:
Someone mentioned if you got one today it meant Sony for sure knew your info was jacked while those not getting it might not since they state they are unsure or some crap.

That's not true unless someone has different info. This is directly from the PSblog

We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders regarding a compromise of personal information as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom