• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

iapetus said:
Sony really need to do something to provide positive PR for a change. They've pissed off just about everyone other than their most hardcore of fanbase recently. Time to do something positive. Free PSN+ for everyone, good news on the NGP pricing, the return of a new, improved OtherOS would be quick and easy fixes for various people. Expecting a miraculous appearance of cross-game chat just because they've pissed people off is less likely, though. :p
I would say they need this, but the is 21st century Sony, who manage to make terrible decisions time after time after time.

rSpooky said:
It makes me wonder though .. Cc info gets stolen everyday .. I have had it happen , friends of mine had this happen .. So my point its from this point forward , how many people will say it was due to PSN their stuff got stolen? I hear about lawsuits.. if you do you still need to proof it was because of that. Just saying that the two do not need to be linked necessarily. You CC info could be stolen in restaurants, form other online sites, from hacks done to atm machines etc etc..

How would you proof PSN/SONY was the cause other then you never used the card for Anything else then PSN??

Generally how it goes is that first it will come out that CC's were stolen, either through Sony verifying it through their records, or banks and cc companies verifying it through cross checking fraud claims. From that point on if your cc was among those compromised, any fraud was most likely due to that.

If it never comes out that cc's were stolen through either source, most likely your card was stolen through some other means.

dude

dude
No45 said:
Drawing attention to it isn't resisting that urge at all.
I know, I tried having my cake and eating it too :(

Lord Error said:
OK, I might as well ask someone, what is wrong sounding with my tag that would make you say that? I'm pretty sure I got it when I was posting some level headed stuff about something I can't remember anymore, way back.
I don't know what you got it for, the tag seemed to me like it implied you think of yourself as sane, but in fact you tend to favor Sony.
I don't know you, that's what I took the tag to mean.

Haaretz picked this up as well over here. Not one of the major headlines, but it's quite prominent on it's page.

Afrikan

oh man, I hope I'm not one of those fellas...but

has this been posted yet? LOVE the Airplane series! :)

SonyIsntGoodWithComputers.gif

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Diablos said:
Whoa, Sony is planning to allow for an Online ID change outside of Japan finally?! It's about time...

Wait people in Japan were able to change their ID's?

I've been wanting to change mine for years. Stupid me at the time hated putting #s at the end of my ID so i misspelled my name cause someone already had it :/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yenrot said:
It's the top story on Sky News - higher in the billing than the Royal wedding!

That's the only upside to this whole fiasco so far, stopping them talking about the wedding.

phosphor112 said:
So, you're implying someone hacked PSN over an HTTPS on a PC of some sorts? OR it involves modifying the console that NORMALLY provides ample security clientside, and modify it to bypass things server side as well.

If you think this was done without the PS3, you are clearly delusional.

The probability of this being done via a computer is very high. I work for a company whos datacentre suite is right next to Sony's PS3 suites that run PSN for EU and am an IT Security PH.d student. They are just standard HP (if I recall correctly) servers nothing more. Their networking infrastructure is built on Linux and contains a tonne of networked SQL DB's.

There is no reason why the PS3 even needs to be included in this as a major chess piece. I presume it was maybe to do reconn work or to get some data onto the PSN via signed packages.

He is far from delusional.

-viper-

Banned
Alright. I've thought about it and I have to say that I don't think this will affect Sony in the long run. Initially I assumed Sony would have to file for bankruptcy. Then maybe ONLY the Playstation division would have to be shut down.

I know a lot of people are claiming they are selling their PS3s. Well, someone else is going to buy that PS3. And someone else will continue buying PS3 games - as this is how Sony make their money, through software.

As for their security, I really hope this new system is FUCKING SECURE. I'm scared their new system is going to be cracked. I sure hope they have hired some of the biggest brains out there in the security field.

Afrikan

lawblob said:
Anyone else think the woman in the Airplane gif is crazy hot?

Elaine? Hell Fuckin YEAH!....she was also in What about Bob....and Noises Off. There is just something about her, don't know. <3

scitek

Afrikan said:
Elaine? Hell Fuckin YEAH!....she was also in What about Bob....and Noises Off. There is just something about her, don't know. <3

It's her soft voice for me. I bet she was a screamer.

dude

dude
-viper- said:
Alright. I've thought about it and I have to say that I don't think this will affect Sony in the long run. Initially I assumed Sony would have to file for bankruptcy. Then maybe ONLY the Playstation division would have to be shut down.

I know a lot of people are claiming they are selling their PS3s. Well, someone else is going to buy that PS3. And someone else will continue buying PS3 games - as this is how Sony make their money, through software.

As for their security, I really hope this new system is FUCKING SECURE. I'm scared their new system is going to be cracked. I sure hope they have hired some of the biggest brains out there in the security field.
Sony won't file for bankruptcy and the Playstation brand is not going to die because of this. That's just overreacting.
But this will effect Sony in the long run - Right now, almost every news agency in the world is reporting that Sony lost the CC data of 77 million customers. They're going to take a huge blow, and pay through the nose. They'll survive, but it'll take them years to recover customer trust.

Gong

Chalk me up for being one of those hit, have had three transactions on my CC this morning and none of them authorized by me. The CC company were excellent and the card has now been cancelled. Girl on the phone said they've been overwhelmed with calls about it today, so I guess I'm not the only one.

I dunno if I can trust Sony again after this. If I keep my PS3 after this It'll be pre-paid cards all the way.

Hanmik

http://www.thebuttonbasher.com/?p=1549

The Information Commissioner’s Office will quiz Sony over the theft of millions of Playstation Network users’ personal data.

It intends to ask the company questions over the possible theft of millions of users’ credit card information – and find out whether it properly protected gamers’ data.

“Any business or organisation that is processing personal information in the UK must ensure they comply with the law, including the need to keep data secure” they said.

“We have recently been informed of an incident which appears to involve Sony. We are contacting Sony and will be making further enquiries to establish the precise nature of the incident before deciding what action, if any, needs to be taken by this office.”

Sony is facing accusations that it should have alerted its customers to the possibility that their credit card information had been stolen earlier than yesterday. Security codes have not been taken.

Sony are determined to track down the hackers responsible for the recent intrusion on the server and with the news that one of them left a “digital fingerprint” they might be in with a good shot of finding them

Yenrot said:
It's the top story on Sky News - higher in the billing than the Royal wedding!

I got a phonecall at 8 this morning from Sky to ask if I could do an interview on it. Half 8 I'm on air, and by 9 clips are in the news on most commercial radio stations in the UK.

Achamian

Cards cancelled, passwords of any sites i may have used in any way related to ps3 or on ps3 changed.

Will still use psn but only with psn cards from other sites never use card on there again. Really really poor from Sony.

Customer confidence will be devastated by this and will have a huge impact on future sales etc.

snap0212

Could someone who knows more about this stuff please clarify something for me? Sony knew some outside party had gained access to PSN on April 19th. They've waited until now to give us some information. I would think that at the moment they knew someone's in their system, they knew for a fact that this person could possibly have taken the data, right? Don't they have to assume that data was stolen at that very moment? Isn't it incredibly inappropriate to not tell anyone about the possibility that data was stolen as soon as they knew someone was in their system?

How on earth could they even assume nothing was stolen? If someone broke into my office where confidential information is stored, I'd just assume they stole everything until I know they did not. In my opinion they should have come out on the 19th, say that all the data might have been stolen and that they're still investigating. Instead, Sony investigated for almost a week before telling us. That just can't be right and is completely illogical.

Dead Man

Afrikan said:
oh man, I hope I'm not one of those fellas...but

has this been posted yet? LOVE the Airplane series! :)

SonyIsntGoodWithComputers.gif
So good. But I think it was done by DrForester here on GAF.

lawblob said:
Anyone else think the woman in the Airplane gif is crazy hot?
Julie Hagerty was one of those childhood crushes of mine. So mild, but I always had the impression she was filthy in bed.

snap0212 said:
Could someone who knows more about this stuff please clarify something for me? Sony knew some outside party had gained access to PSN on April 19th. They've waited until now to give us some information. I would think that at the moment they knew someone's in their system, they knew for a fact that this person could possibly have taken the data, right? Don't they have to assume that data was stolen at that very moment? Isn't it incredibly inappropriate to not tell anyone about the possibility that data was stolen as soon as they knew someone was in their system?

How on earth could they even assume nothing was stolen? If someone broke into my office where confidential information is stored, I'd just assume they stole everything until I know they did not. In my opinion they should have come out on the 19th, say that all the data might have been stolen and that they're still investigating. Instead, Sony investigated for almost a week before telling us. That just can't be right and is completely illogical.

They might have a different ways of storing specific information. If they told everyone on Day 1, and later it turned out that everything was ok - ppl that cancelled their cards would be even more furious, the same way dipshits accused WHO of being to strict during recent avian flu scare.

dude

dude
Hanmik said:
This is probably going to happen at some other major country where Sony operates.

Castor Krieg said:
They might have a different ways of storing specific information. If they told everyone on Day 1, and later it turned out that everything was ok - ppl that cancelled their cards would be even more furious, the same way dipshits accused WHO of being to strict during recent avian flu scare.
No to mention the PR disaster Sony would, wait, is, facing. I mean, if the info wasn't stolen but Sony still would have announced it, they would have taken a major hit for nothing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That PSP box art here is pure genius.

I don't know you, that's what I took the tag to mean.
I obviously think this is a major screwup, probably biggest one in history of its kind, and will haunt Sony for years to come, but my personal issue with it is more on the side that if this info leaks in the open, any random jerk will be able to see all my personal info by just knowing my user name. There is something slightly unnerving about that, even if illogical. Compared to that, possible CC situation (which I think is unlikely anyway) seems minor and impersonal. But maybe I only say that because I know my bank is good with this sort of thing.

snap0212 said:
Well, of course. There are even studies that show that the way they handled this was wrong and that it's always better for people's confidence, no matter the final outcome, to do what you were suggesting.

Abylim

I have no words for that site... being happy that this happened is pretty bad.

I get they want Sony to die and all that, but come on.

Damn, they really struck Sony hard lol

Wonder what kind of repercussions this will have. Maybe they will deactivate all psn accounts so my account will have 5 shares available again!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't looked through this thread yet so I have no idea how common this was, but my credit card info was absolutely stolen in this debacle and used to buy a bunch of crap which I'm luckily not liable for as it was obvious fraud. Had to cancel my main credit card and am waiting for my account to be reopened and get a new card.

RaGe_pt

This is pretty bad for sony. They're losing millions in money everyday but they will many more in the future because this hurted their reputation a lot. This is one of the biggest theft of personal data in the history. I hope they find who did this but I doubt the hacker will get caught.

MMaRsu

Hawkian said:
I haven't looked through this thread yet so I have no idea how common this was, but my credit card info was absolutely stolen in this debacle and used to buy a bunch of crap which I'm luckily not liable for as it was obvious fraud. Had to cancel my main credit card and am waiting for my account to be reopened and get a new card.

How do you know? What kind of stuff did they buy? :eek:

Like I said how do you know for sure?

Abylim

Have to admit I feel abit hesitant about using my CC for PSN stuff... but then again, this isnt exactly an everyday thing.
I'm not sure how I will interact with PSN after this honestly. I'm leaning towards same old same old, but I cant shake this event just yet.

Jburton

Banned
I see the falsehood that 77 million people have had their CC info stolen............ lol!

An absolutely small fraction of that 77 million (I doubt it is even 2 million) even had CC info linked to their account.

Lol, anytime Sony announced how many PSN accounts they had, we where told that it is nowhere near that number..... duplicate accounts and so on.

I'm not that worried, obviously it's going to piss me off if my credit card gets used but I use my card info on tons of sites and every single one of them is as vulnerable as this one.

I rather take my chances with it rather than skip buying shit online all together now.

I rather take my chances with it rather than skip buying shit online

/airplane

Genjikage said:
Have to admit I feel abit hesitant about using my CC for PSN stuff... but then again, this isnt exactly an everyday thing.
I'm not sure how I will interact with PSN after this honestly. I'm leaning towards same old same old, but I cant shake this event just yet.

PSN cards for me from now on!!! (not that my credit card would be accepted by Sony since my country is not allowed to have access to the PS Store o_O)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MMaRsu said:
How do you know? What kind of stuff did they buy? :eek:

Like I said how do you know for sure?

They bought something from a camera shop, a night in an expensive hotel in Michigan (I'm in South Florida) and numerous $50+ trips to Walgreens.

How do I know for sure? I don't. How could I possibly? I first heard about this from my credit card company seeing suspicious activity. Only in looking back did I realize that the timing of the charges and the initial fraud time up perfectly with PSN being down. I am just connecting the dots.

I didn't see what you said to begin with so I am not reading into your intentions. But essentially, I don't have any doubts about these events being connected. This is my main credit card, I am not careless with it. It has in fact never left my side or been lost for even a short period since I got it, let alone within the last week. None of the other online services I use it for are reporting security breeches in the last week. The charges make absolutely no sense from the perspective of who would have my credit card info and by my enemy- I don't even know anyone in Michigan.

My question wouldn't be how I know they are related; it would be, what reason do I have to think that they are unrelated?

Afrikan

just spoke with an operator from my bank.... he knew of the issue himself.. (was saying how pissed he was cause he couldn't use Hulu..lol)....but he said he hasn't been getting any calls about the issue.

and he didn't seem that worried, I don't remember the correct wording...but he was explaining how secure credit cards/debt cards are now a days...that its hard for something drastic to happen...even if someone has your billing info and such....and even if it did, it would be obvious and you would be taken care of. I have been monitoring my account all day, and its been fine.

I'm sure some will say he was BSing, but he seemed pretty genuine.....I mean, he didn't even put much effort into selling me some fraud insurance thingy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
PetriP-TNT said:
I'm not that worried, obviously it's going to piss me off if my credit card gets used but I use my card info on tons of sites and every single one of them is as vulnerable as this one.

I rather take my chances with it rather than skip buying shit online all together now.

I rather take my chances with it rather than skip buying shit online

/airplane

My post above details my inconvenience from this fiasco. That said, I agree with this post anyway. Fraud is a risk any time CC information is stored digitally. The best you can do is have a trustworthy credit agency/bank to help you out if it does happen.

My use of Sony's products and services won't really be altered, though I'm certainly not touching PSN again until this is long straightened out. As a PR event this is a disaster, however. Playstation Plus is still basically a brand new service; plenty of people might have been using their CC info for the first time to subscribe, and this is just a really unfortunate signal being sent back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't remember if I used one of my credit cards or my debit card for PSN. probably debit card as its more convenient for money to be taken right away than build up on a credit card. Damn, do I cancel or just keep my fingers crossed? My bank are pretty trigger happy about fraud prevention - lots of times my own transactions get blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom