• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mako_Drug

So I'm gonna try and not go
(Too Far :p)
into tinfoil hate mode but wouldn't this be the perfect crime for anonymous?

- Anon DDOSs Sony's website but we all know that doesn't do shit to Sony's actual business
- They decide to do something to actually damage their business so they hack in and steal everyone's details
- Anon publicly denies involvement because the white knight Anon would never do anything to mess with the mass populace...............RIGHT?
- People blame Sony and turn away from their products. Sony am doom.

Call me crazy. =/

HyperMusic said:
Well that's me told, how will I survive on GAF after being the subject of such wit!

UK:R is something of an old hand on the Internet, they were diehard Sega fanboys but after the Dreamcast crashed they decided to go insane, and run with it. It's loved by a lot of people for basically being a semi-real parody of fanboy extremes.

So yeah, if you don't get it, then... you should do. It's not hard to get.

Adamm

Mako_Drug said:

- Anon DDOSs Sony's website but we all know that doesn't do shit to Sony's actual business
- They decide to do something to actually damage their business so they hack in and steal everyone's details
- Anon publicly denies involvement because the white knight Anon would never do anything to mess with the mass populace...............RIGHT?

Call me crazy. =/

Or Anon didnt do this but alot of people are blaming them anyway?

Mako_Drug said:

Call me crazy. =/

Whatever the case, Sony was specifically targeted and they will be again. Thus they are extremely paranoid in resuming service at the moment.

Aselith

Mako_Drug said:

Call me crazy. =/

The fuck are you talking about? You think that people think Sony hacked their own servers? Go to bed, buddy, you're tired.

People are blaming Sony for not securing their servers which they did and regardless of the motives or identities of the hackers that won't change.

Mako_Drug

Adamm said:
Or Anon didnt do this but alot of people are blaming them anyway?

Or you are part of Anon and kill babies.

Seriously though, I didn't say they did it. I was just thinking about a potential motive and reasoning behind the possibility they are behind it.

Aselith said:
The fuck are you talking about? You think that people think Sony hacked their own servers? Go to bed, buddy, you're tired.

People are blaming Sony for not securing their servers which they did and regardless of the motives or identities of the hackers that won't change.

I have no idea what you are on about.

koji

Reading several reports on a Belgian forum about people who are having issues logging in to hotmail and strange email activity etc. It's definitely on folks.

Cardstop already had a 150 people queue on the phone to block CCs here in Belgium. What a PR disaster. :lol

-viper-

Banned
If the Sony have been hacked, what's to say they won't be hacked again?

They need to upgrade their security to the level of Xbox Live.

duckroll

Mako_Drug said:
Or you are part of Anon and kill babies.

Seriously though, I didn't say they did it. I was just thinking about a potential motive and reasoning behind the possibility they are behind it.

Why don't you go into the potential motives for Sony doing this to themselves to get attention, or Microsoft hiring hackers to do this, or maybe Kevin Butler did it get the address of someone who dissed him on the PS Blog? OMG SO MANY POSSIBILITIES! AAAAAAAAAAAH!

Why For?

Banned
What an incompetent fucking company. It's my main credit card linked too. Fuckers.

Once I'm back on, will remove my card (too late anyway) and won't be buying anything off psn again.

Mako_Drug

duckroll said:
Why don't you go into the potential motives for Sony doing this to themselves to get attention, or Microsoft hiring hackers to do this, or maybe Kevin Butler did it get the address of someone who dissed him on the PS Blog? OMG SO MANY POSSIBILITIES! AAAAAAAAAAAH!

Probably because I can't think of a logical reason why anything you said would be the case.

Like I said, I don't think Anon did it. Presumably there is no evidence to suspect anyone in particular.

blazeuk

Green Scar said:
I am eager to see exactly how much shit Sony gets into for this. Not like 'oh no, people don't like you and said nasty things about you', I'm on about hard punishment. I can see them getting away with only a scratch...

Depends really, if its found out they didnt secure personal data very well (which is what they're pretty much telling us by saying someone has all our data), they could end up with some pretty big fines. If all the data was encrypted, then while it would still be a problem for Sony, they would unlikely be in such a mess with any authorities.

Gong

Green Scar said:
UK:R is something of an old hand on the Internet, they were diehard Sega fanboys but after the Dreamcast crashed they decided to go insane, and run with it. It's loved by a lot of people for basically being a semi-real parody of fanboy extremes.

Oh I know them well and I get "it" but they just became tiresome to say the least, well to me at any rate.

Apologies for the slight derail.

Adamm

So what are the odds of sony coming out at the end of the week and saying that CC details were not stolen?

At the moment they say there is no evidence to say they have, but will it be possible to find evidence that they haven't?

Or will it just always be a 'maybe' situation

Easystride said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but if you've deleted your cc on your account before the psn went down, are you safe?

We dont know, but probably not

elfinke

Started reading this bread when it was ~30 pages long, but couldn't keep up with it's pace during knockoff time + making dinner so have skipped the last ~40 pages. Thus I am largely reiterating everyone else's complaints.

I have a couple dollars in my PSN wallet, and haven't bought anything off it since Quest for Booty came out, but I am certainly done with Sony's services this generation. They have probably won the race to the bottom.

RyanDG

Easystride said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but if you've deleted your cc on your account before the psn went down, are you safe?

I do work for an online market place. Even if cc information is not stored on file, in purchase order history (something we know may be leaked here) certain level account types do have the option of being able to view the full CC information for the purchase (even if a normal account would be able to view the last 4 digits). If the CC was compromised (and we don't know that yet), there is a chance depending on how Sony sets up their system that the information may also have been compromised. I would recommend to just check your account statement pretty frequently over the next 2 months and set up your annual credit report just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't go further than that unless you notice suspicious activity.

(I've posted this a couple of times, but know the thread is over 4000 posts long and may be hard to find specific answers).

Choc

Banned
Easystride said:

if sony was using best practice encryption and PCI compliant before teh hack and you hadn't you should be ok

clearly they were not

they *should* delete the data you ask it to, but who knows.

gcubed

Dreams-Visions said:
people probably felt their password was very secure. didn't expect it to be stolen from the other side.

Sony probably felt their security was pretty good, does this mean if you have reused your passwords everywhere that you are partly to blame as well?

Hawkian said:
I haven't looked through this thread yet so I have no idea how common this was, but my credit card info was absolutely stolen in this debacle and used to buy a bunch of crap which I'm luckily not liable for as it was obvious fraud. Had to cancel my main credit card and am waiting for my account to be reopened and get a new card.

Last Thursday someone spent over $1000 at several online cosmetic stores with the card tied to my PSN account. My bank notified me and removed the charges. They also sent me a new credit card.

ElFly

gcubed said:
Sony probably felt their security was pretty good, does this mean if you have reused your passwords everywhere that you are partly to blame as well?

Well, it's common practice to not reuse the same password everywhere.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This attack has given me serious pause regarding my plans for how I purchase things online going forward. I never imagined that passwords and security question answers could be so precariously unprotected.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Adamm said:
So what are the odds of sony coming out at the end of the week and saying that CC details were not stolen?

At the moment they say there is no evidence to say they have, but will it be possible to find evidence that they haven't?

Or will it just always be a 'maybe' situation

We dont know, but probably not
If you read the PR CAREFULLY, you'll see the whole thing is a maybe situation. The only thing Sony has said with clarity is that someone entered the system and had access to our information. It doesn't mean it's out there, but "maybe" being out there is enough for some. However they have been really unclear on the credit card situation and one way or another need to say something definitive. Either the hackers had access to the card numbers or they didn't. This "we don't think so but anything is possible" is really what's pissing people off the most I think.

This feels so reminiscent of most of my companies clients refuse to invest in better backup solutions or failover internet setups and then they lose their damn mind and all of a sudden want to spend three times as much money to expedite the resolution after everything goes tits up. No one ever wants to spend the money ahead of time and be safe, they wait till the whole thing is on fire first.

If Sony now hired this expert security firm to see the flaws and infiltration level of PSN, why wasn't this done ages ago when PSN subscribers hit a certain point, or better yet, when you started taking money monthly for a service like PSN +.

shuri

Banned
Identity Theft is a serious crime -- I can't believe that most of the thread is filled with idiots crying about not being able to play games, or begging for free stuff.

Nekofrog

Banned
gutterboy44 said:
This feels so reminiscent of most of my companies clients refuse to invest in better backup solutions or failover internet setups and then they lose their damn mind and all of a sudden want to spend three times as much money to expedite the resolution after everything goes tits up. No one ever wants to spend the money ahead of time and be safe, they wait till the whole thing is on fire first.

If Sony now hired this expert security firm to see the flaws and infiltration level of PSN, why wasn't this done ages ago when PSN subscribers hit a certain point, or better yet, when you started taking money monthly for a service like PSN +.

Complacency? Laziness? Smugness? Cheapness?

Take your pick, add your own.

shuri said:
Identity Theft is a serious crime -- I can't believe that most of the thread is filled with idiots crying about not being able to play games, or begging for free stuff.

Have you read the thread? After the CC news started to make big headway, the "whining" pretty much turned to concern over finances.

gcubed

Nekofrog said:
No it's not.

It's the right idea, but it's not at all common practice.

yeah its definitely not common practice. It should be. This would be one of the nice things about the online ID the US is trying to provide, but people freak out about it coming from the gov't.

antiloop

A.R.K said:
Hackers hack PS3
Sony takes OtherOS out in fear of further damage
Hackers pissed...hack it further..blame Sony they took out otherOS
Hackers break PS3 key and distribute over internet
Sony sues the hacker
Other Hackers vow revenge
and finally we are here

Hackers are terrorists basically. They want to target the evil corporation but take the opportunity to steal cc information and damage "civilians".

Green Scar said:

I'm glad UK:R did an update, even a short one. Despite being funny, it really isn't anything to laugh about in my case.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BeeDog said:
For the database administrators out there, roughly how big would the data of all 70+ million accounts be?
Well, I am sure the vast amount of accounts are simply user name and password, with no personal information. I am pretty sure accounts from Sony's Website back in the PS2 days got integrated into the system.

BeeDog

Drkirby said:
Well, I am sure the vast amount of accounts are simply user name and password, with no personal information. I am pretty sure accounts from Sony's Website back in the PS2 days got integrated into the system.

... so size-wise, how much could it be, if every table entry stores all the information that is potentially leaked? Gigabytes, terabytes?

Nekofrog said:
No it's not.

It's the right idea, but it's not at all common practice.

After this happened with Gawker, I quickly switched to randomly generated, 10+ character passwords. It was the best feeling ever.

I should change my credit card info now.

XTERC

Just got this email from Hulu (I did a search and couldn't see a similar post)...

Dear Anton,
Unfortunately, due to the outage on PlayStation® Network, Hulu Plus subscribers cannot currently access the application on the PS3™. We understand this is frustrating, and we are looking forward to Sony restoring access to the application as soon as possible. In the meantime, we’d like to offer you a 1-week credit toward your Hulu Plus subscription. In order to automatically redeem your credit, please click here at any time within the next two weeks.
You can still continue to watch your favorite shows on many other devices -- the full list of devices is available here. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We're happy to help however we can.
Many thanks,
The Hulu Team

BeeDog

Has any outlet (lol) confronted Sony yet and asked how they plan on handling the PSN accounts when PSN is rebooted? I'm probably not alone in worrying about my account, and the purchases tied to it.

Jetku

BeeDog said:
... so size-wise, how much could it be, if every table entry stores all the information that is potentially leaked? Gigabytes, terabytes?

For user info and cc info? Low gigabytes. Almost positive it would be well under 10gigs in Oracle land. Combined with audit rows of purchase histories? Maybe 10-20gigs.

Edit: This would be under the assumption that the hacker knew exactly what tables to look at, or that they only retrieved a "user" db. Who knows what other kinds of information Sony stores in the same db

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BeeDog said:
Well, if each entry averaged 16KB (More then likely an over estimate), it would only end up being 1GB, something that should only take a fast connection a few minutes to download. Even a slower connection could likely download the whole thing in 30 minutes.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, peoples.
What we don't know:
Who did it: Was it Anon? Geohot? Ukranian mafia? Chinese Government? Alien Invaders? We don't know. Stop blaming people. They are criminals, they should be arrested, that's all we know at this point.
Why they did it: If we don't know who, we don't know why.
How they did it: If we don't know who, we don't know what their methods were. There is no point in either blaming CFW or saying Sony has a crappy security. Maybe Sony have awesome security and the hackers were even better. Maybe the same hackers could break anywhere else, but saw this as the most appropriate target for whatever reason. Maybe Sony's security really is bad. We don't know.

Minsc

Gold Member
BeeDog said:

I have no idea, but text compresses like 90%+, so if they had access to backups or some form of compressed data, 75M records of information wouldn't be that large.

GeekyDad

Mako_Drug said:

Call me crazy. =/

Here are some alleged quotes from someone who calls themselves Takai of Anonymous:

So far, all Sony has seen from us is poking and prodding. A simple salute to let them know, we’re coming. Make no mistake, what you saw today and thought to be frustration is merely preparation for what’s to come.

We said, expect us. Counting us out, would be a mistake. ;)

For the sake of not shooting ourselves in the foot, I won’t comment on specific operational tactics we may or may not employ here. I will however say, that if Sony thinks LOIC is the only trick in our hat … they’re in for a hell of a wake up call. We’re really going all out for this one.

There are many different faces to the operation. Something we encourage is creative thinking.

This is from a report by PlayStation Lifestyle. Now, I don't know if their reputation and/or that report is to be trusted, but if true, that would sure sound like intent to me. Kinda late for them to back out now. I would even go so far as to say, it's possible that the outages they took responsibility for earlier the month were the germ of all this. Why Sony wasn't prepared, after Anonymous openly broadcast it was them, is beyond me. Either way, Anonymous begged for responsibility, and now all of a sudden they say, "it wasn't us." Nah uh. Even if it wasn't, you cried wolf. It's time to put that dog to sleep.

Az

duckroll said:

Maybe my mom tried to play Bejeweled and accidently hit a timewarp by clearing out all jeweles while standing on one leg only using her pinky and middle finger. All that resulted in a blackhole
(racist?)
being formed while I was brushing my teeth 15 miles away.

Definitely this.

Shinriji

Sony really screwed up this time. Anyone knows a good iphone password organizer? Changing all my paswords and I dont want to rely on written information.

Choc

Banned
Microsoft has added a service alert to live that phishing attempts are currently taking place in MW2

Sony gets hacked. Data stolen. Phishing starts to occur on XBL in the worlds biggest game

that shit is not coincidence people. Be vigilant. It doesn't take a brainiac to realise people would have the same emails over both systems, most likely have both and then hey lets choose teh biggest game ever to start phishing

sheesh

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/27/xbox-live-sees-service-alert-come-into-effect/

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll probably cancel my CC number even though I hadn't used it in a year. My address changed and I never updated it and it won't validate any charges. My acct is still where it was money wise when I last checked it. I'd be more concerned about the personal ID shit the haxxors could get. Mine is all out of date but you never know what they can do.

This was all because of Butlers Nigerian hackers comment a year or so back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom