• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just logged into my bank only to be welcomed with this:

8bzgI.png

at least they're keeping an eye out.

snap0212

Castor Krieg said:
They might have a different ways of storing specific information. If they told everyone on Day 1, and later it turned out that everything was ok - ppl that cancelled their cards would be even more furious, the same way dipshits accused WHO of being to strict during recent avian flu scare.
I don't think I agree. This is my current reaction and what it would have been if Sony did things "right".

I wish this had happened:
4RIts.png

Instead of this:
ZWaNY.png

There's a third option. Sony telling us everything and data ends up being stolen. However, I would have acted fast and would feel way better.

Don't you think that if someone manages such a big theft, they could do something smarter with it than what you're seeing right now?

Most of such things happen from someone working at a store copying the information. But hey, who knows there's some kind of underground circuit that this hacker is distributing the data to random people all over the world, very slowly, one by one ...

Credit cards that work without a PIN code like bank cards are inherently insecure, which is why they are getting PIN codes everywhere these days - I'd rather they hurry with that! Bank cards have had this like forever, and are moving to new types of chips. We have a Dutch system in the Netherlands called iDeal which is much safer (and cheaper), and I wish that became more common globally.

Anyway, I still doubt that credit card information has been compromised, but it doesn't hurt being careful which is why Sony asks you to be extra careful.

Without the security code (which I don't think is stored anywhere at all, no reason for that), I wonder if you can use it for anything other than offline purchases in places that still accept credit card payments without PIN.

Anyway, all of this sucks of course, no question about it.

Linkified

Right guys changed all key passwords, dealt with cc. I'm okay now GAF aren't I, they would have to hack other major shopping sites to get access to my other secure data right?

Or should I be hiding out under the duvet with my laptop and mobile? Yes I'm going a bit OTT and really I feel like I don't know to extent of what information I should change even if stuff has different email addresses asociated with it.

Funshine

Neo Member
mrklaw said:
I can't remember if I used one of my credit cards or my debit card for PSN. probably debit card as its more convenient for money to be taken right away than build up on a credit card. Damn, do I cancel or just keep my fingers crossed? My bank are pretty trigger happy about fraud prevention - lots of times my own transactions get blocked.

check the email you use for psn for any mail from DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net it will tell you what you have used if you still have the emails. I used my debit card, but I was almost positive I took it off a while ago. I am still going to give my bank a call though just to be safe.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm almost certain that the CC I used with PSN was from an account I closed before I moved, so I THINK I'll be okay, but jeeze... still can't be certain.

Sucks to hear about people already getting hit with mysterious charges. If it turns out CC numbers WERE stolen, Sony is going to have a LOT to answer to. How were CC numbers not encrypted to the point of uselessness by an intruder? Were they plaintext? Why have they not come forward and admitted that peoples CCs may be compromised, so that their customers can better protect themselves?

spats

Sony Online Services charged 10 euros from my card yesterday and I sure as fuck didn't do it.

I just called my bank and closed my card. Gotta wait a week for a new one.

Fuck this motherfucking shit.

Dead Man

snap0212 said:
I don't think I agree. This is my current reaction and what it would have been if Sony did things "right".

I wish this had happened:
http://i.imgur.com/4RIts.png[IMG]

Instead of this:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZWaNY.png[IMG]

There's a third option. Sony telling us everything and data ends up being stolen. However, I would have acted fast and would feel way better.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much.

bitoriginal

spats said:
Sony Online Services charged 10 euros from my card yesterday and I sure as fuck didn't do it.

I just called my bank and closed my card. Gotta wait a week for a new one.

Fuck this motherfucking shit.

Ever play DCUO? They did this to me too, because I didn't realise they would automatically withdraw the money without my consent having only put in a code on the box.

spats

Air Zombie Meat said:
It's a comedy site.

I think they're actually psychotic fanboys but trying to masquerade it as a comedy site. Not a single post I've read on that site has been even remotely funny.

rSpooky

bitoriginal said:
Ever play DCUO? They did this to me too, because I didn't realise they would automatically withdraw the money without my consent having only put in a code on the box.
Yeah sounds like dcuo to me.

spats

bitoriginal said:

Nope. I don't play it and I don't have any auto withdrawal stuff on. Now that I took a closer look on that list it happened the 19th but I don't remember adding funds even then. Even if it's nothing, better safe then sorry.

Thank god I use a virtual CC that is linked with my bank account, and the CC that I used with my previous psn purchase already expired a month ago :D

Choc

Banned
guys fyi

expiry dates mean nothing. ive had stuff taken out of an expired card (thT was in transition to a new one) and it was authorised

as long as the company has had an auth'd txn before expiry they allow it through

dont want to scare but that is not a get out of jail free card. keep vigilant

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
JonathanEx said:
BBC World Service's 'Have Your Say' show for the next half hour is on this mess. No joke.

Big news, this.

BBC reports on this.

US news reports on the Royal Wedding.

We're in Bizarro World, I tells ya.

Choc

Banned
given the media is reporting 77 million credit cards stolen is it any wonder. sony cant come out and debunk the number because they have no idea if it was all compromised

we had a 45 min news show in Australia focus on it and the Australian police have launched an investigation into sony and the hack

JonathanEx said:
BBC World Service's 'Have Your Say' show for the next half hour is on this mess. No joke.

Big news, this.

It feels weird... we have the wedding, Syria, Libya and the AV referendum to be talking about, and people are getting hung up on this?

Tell me how retarded the discussion gets please

Griffin

Choc said:
given the media is reporting 77 million credit cards stolen is it any wonder. sony cant come out and debunk the number because they have no idea if it was all compromised

77 million accounts =/= 77 million credit cards.

I got a notice the other day about a security breach on an old account and they at least offered me 3 months free credit monitoring. And all I got from somy was a crappy email. Also it must be big new when my wife comes home and tells me a if it was unknown to me.

Green Scar said:
It feels weird... we have the wedding, Syria, Libya and the AV referendum to be talking about, and people are getting hung up on this?

Most people (including myself) are concerned more for their own safety/privacy than any current world affairs, no matter how upsetting they may be.

Linkified

Green Scar said:

It already has been with the twitter comments.

derFeef

Green Scar said:

Yeah, we surely need more talking about that wedding.

Choc

Banned
darkjedi187 said:
I got a notice the other day about a security breach on an old account and they at least offered me 3 months free credit monitoring. And all I got from somy was a crappy email. Also it must be big new when my wife comes home and tells me a if it was unknown to me.

what teh fuck why is that not a free service?

Green Scar said:

I'm on the show.

So, it starts well.

Opus Angelorum said:
Most people (including myself) are concerned more for their own safety/privacy than any current world affairs, no matter how upsetting they may be.

Well yeah, but I dunno, I feel like this will probably end up blowing over. I'm normally kinda pessimistic with this sort of thing but I feel like this won't be any near as big as it could.

I am eager to see exactly how much shit Sony gets into for this. Not like 'oh no, people don't like you and said nasty things about you', I'm on about hard punishment. I can see them getting away with only a scratch...

JonathanEx said:
I'm on the show.

So, it starts well.

Ahaha, great

Dead Man

Green Scar said:

People are always more interested in stuff that may effect them personally.

Yen

I'm charging my PSP so I can check what card was it it. Even though PSN is down, I can still go to account management? Right?

Well, OK, I get that people are naturally interested in matters that affect them.

Am I undermining the importance of this? I think so. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom