• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

psp at GDCE2k4 (All things psp will be revealed at tgs)

neptunes

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2004/09/02/103,1094081069,30282,0,0.html

h-103_30282_pspmorphing.bmp.jpg

h-103_30282_pspmemorystick.bmp.jpg

h-103_30282_pspprogramming.bmp.jpg

h-103_30282_pspsyoukai.jpg.jpg

h-103_30282_pspfishdemo.bmp.jpg

h-103_30282_pspdemo2.bmp.jpg

h-103_30282_pspdemo1.jpg.jpg

home.JPG

One new feature was mentioned, It was the use of the home button in which pressing this 'home button', the playing game pauses and the screen blanks out. A convenient 'quick-pause/power-save' feature. A sort of stand by mode.

When questioned about the price and release date, the answer was 'all will be clarified at TGS'.

Also, there were no slides about built-in wi-fi or the like.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2004/09/02/103,1094081069,30282,0,0.html

more pics will come

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
A dev kit most likely. I wonder if the demo is loaded from the PC or if the PSP is just acting as a monitor.

B'z-chan

Banned
cybamerc said:
A dev kit most likely. I wonder if the demo is loaded from the PC or if the PSP is just acting as a monitor.

I'm pretty sure that pc right there to the right bottom of that pic is streaming the data to the psp to enterpulate data to help the psp unit perform.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
What is that thing?
There's only one cable going out, and you get the PSP picture on big ass TV there.
I call TV-Out.

Granted, that doesn't necesserily preclude the "battery pack" joke. If that's USB, it could still be powering the PSP at the same time as well... :p

Is it me or this looks like crap ?? Ok ok it's a demo of some kind but the ground and sky textures look like..... errrr.... shit?

DeEJaYMiND said:

Is it me or this looks like crap ?? Ok ok it's a demo of some kind but the ground and sky textures look like..... errrr.... shit?

Maybe it's running on the actual PSP hardware :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DeEJaYMiND said:

It does its purpose, show off the ground formed with HOS patches.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Something a little more demanding.

BTW, where is that screen from? IGN only has a blurry cam shot. It's exactly the same though... indicating it's a still.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
h-103_30282_pspsyoukai.jpg.jpg

This is doing two things IMHO: Video Ouput and loading data from the PC's DVD drive.

Remember that PSP Dev Kits will not use UMDs, but DVD-Rs (SCE will manufacture UMDs).

Deg

Banned
cybamerc said:
TGS better bring the PS2 quality graphics that we've been promised.

It wont be. You really think they want to price it out of competition? I thought you were a PSP fanboy?

boo to using memory sticks as a memory card.

Jonnyram

Fafalada said:
There's only one cable going out, and you get the PSP picture on big ass TV there.
I call TV-Out.

Granted, that doesn't necesserily preclude the "battery pack" joke. If that's USB, it could still be powering the PSP at the same time as well... :p

Nah, I don't think USB can support the amount of energy PSP consumes :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Right. I'll believe it when I see it. How can those demo screens differ so drastically from this?
Some of the PSP tech demos presented at E3 looked prety much better than anything I've seen on. So I'd say these particular guys just made a crappy looking demo?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Deg said:

boo to using memory sticks as a memory card.

Why boo ?

Some people bitch about Memory Stick Pro Duo just because it is popular.

If you want decent video and music playback ( at a smooth frame-rate, with nice detail and all), this kind of Memory Stick is your best bet.

The Pro Duo format is small in size and it retains the top class Read and Write speeds that the Pro format introduced.

$69.00 for the Sony 256 MB Memory Stick Pro Duo module

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/so25mestprod.html

(lower prices for Sandisk stuff)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
DANG, I heard Sony gives some boring ass presentations, but when the presenter himself is catching some zzz's during the event, then you just know something's gotta be done!
P0006557427024_0.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
snapty00 said:
I don't have any Duo sticks. I have pretty much everything but that.

Well buy some Pro Duo sticks: with a cheap adapter you can use them in any device that supports Pro sticks.

For as low as $50 (maybe less if you search even more) you can get a 256 MB Memory Stick Pro Duo module by Sandisk.

http://att.com.com/256_MB_Memory_Stick_PRO_Duo_Media/4014-3235_9-30604040.html?tag=pl&q=

A 512 MB Memory stick Pro Duo module by Sandisk can be bought for about $100-120:

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/search/search__cat_id--465,prod_id--11489223,start--10.html

($122 is Newegg.com's price)

For as low as $39 you can get a 128 MB Memory Stick Pro Duo module by Sandisk:

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/search/search__cat_id--465,prod_id--11697758.html

($39 is Newegg.com's price)

Considering people do not complain about buying 8 MB Memory card modules for PlayStation 2 at almost $30 per Memory Card I do noit find these prices unreasonable.

jiggle

TGS can't come soon enough!
Hopefully I won't be disappointed. Although, that's highly unlikely as long as they show Popolocrios Portable:)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
cybamerc said:
TGS better bring the PS2 quality graphics that we've been promised.
Or else you'll do what? Continue to be your same cynical self regarding just about anything not Nintendo? :)

evilromero said:
Right. I'll believe it when I see it. How can those demo screens differ so drastically from this?
Funny how you're willing to believe it without really seeing it with regard to the demo screens...

And tech demos aren't meant to be complete workups of actual, fully-realized game scenarios. Tech demos are meant to typically show off a particular feature or performance factor.

Izzy said:
Once again, no WiFi support in I/O section. Makes you go hmmmmmm.
It is a bit of an odd omission but it hasn't been removed from any press material. The slide is about I/O options available to the PSP - perhaps they're simply not regarding it as a means of I/O in the same fashion that they are using USB and Memstick. Still strange that they don't have any slide talking about it though.

panajev2001a said:
Well buy some Pro Duo sticks: with a cheap adapter you can use them in any device that supports Pro sticks.
Most duo sticks come with the adapter so there's no need to buy separately. That said, I can't help but sympathize with snapty on this one. There's nothing about the PSP formfactor that requires that it use the smaller Duo sticks - Sony has smaller devices out on the market now that support the Memory Stick range of media. If its a matter of concerns over difference in transfer speed between the different Memory Stick products, standard size Pro sticks and Duo sized Pro sticks have the same transfer speeds. And Sony is versed in offering the ability to use both Pro sticks and non-Pro sticks in various devices and dealing with the transfer speed differences just fine. Their recently released dsc-w1 digital camera is smaller than the PSP, accepts any kind of Memstick media and will let you record video at 640x480 resolution onto any type of stick, only difference being that Pro sticks can record at up to 30fps and standard sticks can only record up to 15fps.

Going Pro Duo seems to make a bit of sense to me in the cost cutting, logic reducing, money making department. They can push Pro Duo (forcing the other stick formats to retirement) while limiting testing problems they might run into.

neptunes, those slides seem to be just reused excerpts from the original developers conference, but thanks for linking the article and other pics.

neptunes

yea nothing new was mentioned at the European Game Dev Conf.

The one held in may came with a suprise, showing the first psp game in motion, and what a debate that little vid caused. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Crazymoogle said:
Going Pro Duo seems to make a bit of sense to me in the cost cutting, logic reducing, money making department. They can push Pro Duo (forcing the other stick formats to retirement) while limiting testing problems they might run into.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of those are the exact reasons why, but I don't think that gets Sony off the hook from receiving at least a little justifiable grief from existing customers who have bought into the Memory stick format already. If I remember the numbers correctly, there were already somewhere between 20-30 million memory sticks units shipped into retail before Sony brought forth the Duo formfactor. Besides, from what I understand, the only difference between Duo-sized sticks and the corresponding original size is just that - size. Non-Pro Duo sticks have same transfer speeds as original size sticks and Pro Duo has the same transfer speeds standard Pro sticks

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gamespot has their account of the PSP session up now...has some fodder for both those interested in the PSP and its detractors:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/02/news_6106399.html

Confirms Wifi in the presentation, so that's good.

PSP hardware dev kit unveiled. Has a UMD drive and connects to a slaved PSP. That's what's in the pics above.

No UMD writer will be released to consumers OR developers though.

Hedges on MP3 playback, but indicates that details will be revealed one way or another at TGS

Apparently got backed into a corner by reporters about battery life, but this again (as well as price) will apparently be revealed at TGS.

Enjoy. :)

so according to that gamespot report...

"I have no idea what the battery life is going to be like. It will depend on a lot of factors, like how loud the player has the volume."

does the volume really affect battery life so much that it would need to be mentioned like this? I know that more volume = more power used, but is it that big a drain in the PSP? weird.

Top Bottom