• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Hands-on at PS Meeting 2004

cja

h-103_28513_psp0712b.jpg.jpg

"When the experience space of PSP was opened wide, people flocked suddenly. It was the first time in absurd confusion". Gotta love engrish translations :)

Dokodemo Issyo (SCEI)
h-103_28513_psp0712doco.jpg.jpg

Dynasty Warriors (Koei/Omega Force)
h-103_28513_psp0712sang.jpg.jpg

Tales of Eternia (Namco/Tales Studio)
h-103_28513_psp0712to.jpg.jpg

Puyo Pop Fever (Sega/Sonic Team)
h-103_28513_psp0712puyo.jpg.jpg

DarkStalkers Chronicle (Capcom)
h-103_28513_psp0712v.jpg.jpg

Armored Core: Formula Front (From Software)
h-103_28513_psp0712ac.jpg.jpg

Metal Gear Ac!d (Konami/KCEJ)

h-103_28513_psp0712met.jpg.jpg

Gaghary (Bandai)
h-103_28513_psp0712ga.jpg.jpg

The Tower of Purgatory (Bandai)
h-103_28513_psp0712re.jpg.jpg

EGM92

Dear SWEET.............uhhh.... I need a towel...

Those screens look awsome, I'm definitly going to buy it! No more doubts in my mind!

Thanks for the awsome screens.

EGM92

cja

jarrod said:
HOT!!

I'm really hoping Capcom ports the MegaMan and Street Fighter Anniversary Collections also. :)
PortStationPortable ;)

Used your list to get those name titles quickly btw, very useful. :)

AssMan

Banned
Is it me or is playing 3D games on a handheld is completely retarded? Why can't developers just use the power for only 2D games?

AssMan said:
Is it me or is playing 3D games on a handheld is completely retarded? Why can't developers just use the power for only 2D games?

Because the majority of gamers want 3D games, so developers are trying to cater to them.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
If the retail PSP looks this good, I don't know what will happen when I first touch it.
I fear that I will instinctively grab for my dick and drop the PSP.
What a dillema.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
AssMan said:

Why cannot we play both ?

I do not see why we should not play 3D games on a portable.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sactown said:
If the retail PSP looks this good, I don't know what will happen when I first touch it.
I fear that I will instinctively grab for my dick and drop the PSP.
What a dillema.

It is not that heavvy... are you right or left handed ?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
If nothing else, I'll buy this for the hopefully arcade perfect ports of Vampire Savior and whatever else Capcom has down the line (another SF Collection, the Marvel games, etc). Sony had just better let them release these games in the US.

A Ys collection would be nice as well.

refreshZ said:
Do these picks now confirm this to be horseshit?

No Sony is going to continue showing that off to people and then release the system with a considerably lower quality screen. Surely no one will notice that quality difference. :p

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't see how these pics change anything in regards to the Edge article. I'm not saying whether they're right or wrong, but it doesn't change anything.

Still looks really uncomfortable to hold to me, but I won't judge it until I've had a go.

And Sony's never cut features right before a product launch before.

By the way, was this the whole of the playable game lineup? I'm not seeing any launch titles that I really want to jump on. I see one or two if I was already getting a PSP at launch and wanted some more games...

ManaByte

Gold Member
cja said:
Dynasty Warriors (Koei/Omega Force)
h-103_28513_psp0712sang.jpg.jpg

Tales of Eternia (Namco/Tales Studio)
h-103_28513_psp0712to.jpg.jpg

Puyo Pop Fever (Sega/Sonic Team)
h-103_28513_psp0712puyo.jpg.jpg

DarkStalkers Chronicle (Capcom)
h-103_28513_psp0712v.jpg.jpg

Armored Core: Formula Front (From Software)
h-103_28513_psp0712ac.jpg.jpg

Metal Gear Ac!d (Konami/KCEJ)

h-103_28513_psp0712met.jpg.jpg

Nintendo DS, what?

Kobun Heat said:
And Sony's never cut features right before a product launch before.

By the way, was this the whole of the playable game lineup? I'm not seeing any launch titles that I really want to jump on. I see one or two if I was already getting a PSP at launch and wanted some more games...

Sorry, but those (and GT4, Ridge Racer, Wip3out, etc.) are the type of games I want to play. Not "tickle me Pikachu".

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ManaByte said:
Nintendo DS, what?

Sorry, but those (and GT4, Ridge Racer, Wip3out, etc.) are the type of games I want to play. Not "tickle me Pikachu".

dont you already own a ps2?

ManaByte said:
Well, at least I'm judging the system's launch lineup on the merits of the actual games, and not on a throwaway tech demo that will probably never be heard from again. Solid troll attempt though, as always. Cheers.

jarrod

Banned
Defensor said:
Nice. Does anyone know what kind of game The Tower of Purgatory is?
It's a 3D ARPG. Nice. :)

ManaByte said:
Or Square Enix games evidently. :p

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kobun Heat said:
Well, at least I'm judging the system's launch lineup on the merits of the actual games, and not on a throwaway tech demo that will probably never be heard from again. Solid troll attempt though, as always. Cheers.

I think you have it reversed. The stuff shown for the DS at E3 were tech demos, some of which may turn into games. Those above are PSP games.

jarrod

Banned
ManaByte said:
I think you have it reversed. The stuff shown for the DS at E3 were tech demos, some of which may turn into games. Those above are PSP games.
You misunderstood him, the Pikachu DS demo was the tech demo he referred to. And out of the 19 playable DS demos at E3, 13 were confirmed software releases.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I know! It makes *no sense* to have 3D objects on a device that thin! How am I suposed to suspend my disbelief that there's some 3D world there in that screen, when I look at the hardware itself and see that it's thinckness is not nearly what it should be to support the depth of that 3D world. Bah, I say!

Redbeard said:
I choose you, analog stick!

The analog stick is definetly one big advantage the PSP has over the DS right now. I don't even know why Nintendo even thought up a 3D handheld that didn't come with an analog stick. 3D games just don't feel right without it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
jarrod said:
You misunderstood him, the Pikachu DS demo was the tech demo he referred to. And out of the 19 playable DS demos at E3, 13 were confirmed software releases.

If that's the case, then there is only one DS game I'm remotely interested in (Animal Crossing) compared to 24 PSP games out of the bunch that are currently announced.

ManaByte

Gold Member
SolidSnakex said:
The analog stick is definetly one big advantage the PSP has over the DS right now. I don't even know why Nintendo even thought up a 3D handheld that didn't come with an analog stick. 3D games just don't feel right without it.

Super Mario 64 will rock with the digital pad you fool! Consumers do not want analog!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It's a real pity, I agree. I don't know whether it's because of cost (you HAVE to put two on, the touchscreen means the system has to be symmetrical for left handers) or because they want it to be simple for non-gamers (who maybe can't handle an analogue stick?), but it sucks.

SM64x4 seemed to play surprisingly well at E3 from what I saw. Don't know how they've managed that.

I have to admit, not one of the games shown above appeals to me. But that's actually good, I don't want any temptation to buy the PSP until it's cheaper, has a better battery (which is inevitable over time) and any Sony screw ups with the systems breaking are solved.

lexy

SolidSnakex said:

Ironic considering they are the ones who introduced analog controllers in the first place.

jarrod

Banned
ManaByte said:
If that's the case, then there is only one DS game I'm remotely interested in (Animal Crossing) compared to 24 PSP games out of the bunch that are currently announced.
Really? You're not at all interested in...

-Bomberman DS (Hudson)
-Buzz (Nintendo/EAD)
-Castlevania (Konami/KCET)
-Cerulean Dreams (tba/Mezco)
-Dragon Ball Z (Banpresto)
-Dragon Quest Monsters (Square Enix/Tose)
-Dynasty Warriors DS (Koei/Omega Force)
-Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix)
-Frogger 2005 (Konami/KCES)
-Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom)
-Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
-Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
-Megaman Battle Network (Capcom)
-Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo)
-Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (Bandai)
-Monster Rancher (Tecmo)
-Mr Driller (Namco/Driller Project)
-Need for Speed (Electronic Arts)
-New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs (Nintendo)
-One Piece (Bandai)
-Pac n' Roll (Namco/Nintendo)
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
-Picto-Chat (Nintendo)
-Project Rub (Sega)
-Rayman (UbiSoft)
-Sonic DS (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
-SpongeBob SquarePants (THQ)
-Super Mario 64x4 (Nintendo)
-Super Robot Taisen (Banpresto)
-Ultimate Games (TeleGames/Cosmigo)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (Konami/KCEJ)
-Viewtiful Joe DS (Capcom/Clover Studio)
-Wario Ware, Inc. DS (Nintendo)

-tba project (Argonaut)
-tba project (Engine)
-tba project (Majesco)
-tba project (Nintendo/EAD)
-tba project (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
-tba project (Vivendi Universal)
-tba projects (Atari)
-tba projects (Bandai)
-tba projects (Electronic Arts)
-tba projects (From Software)
-tba projects (Hudson)
-tba projects (Rare)
-tba RPG (Namco)
-tba RPG (Nintendo/Brownie Brown)
-tba RPG (Square Enix/Matsuno)
-tba soccer (Dino Dini/DC Studios)

Kuramu

the only reason i have a portable is to get the 2D games. I doubt I'll be upgrading to anything higher than an SP. unless....

garrickk

SolidSnakex said:

I sort of wish the PSP had a second analog "knob" below the four buttons on the right.

jarrod

Banned
garrickk said:
I sort of wish the PSP had a second analog "knob" below the four buttons on the right.
Actually, yeah... why did Sony suddenly drop the dual analogs (which funny enough they started). It's not like PSP isn't going to expensive as is, what another $5 stick? :/

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
jarrod said:
Actually, yeah... why did Sony suddenly drop the dual analogs (which funny enough they started). It's not like PSP isn't going to expensive as is, what another $5 stick? :/
Wait for PSP Dual Shock Edition ;)

ManaByte

Gold Member
jarrod said:
Really? You're not at all interested in...

-Bomberman DS (Hudson)
Also on PSP.

-Buzz (Nintendo/EAD)
Who knows what this is?

-Castlevania (Konami/KCET)
Depends if it's 2D or 3D.

-Cerulean Dreams (tba/Mezco)
Who knows that this is?

-Dragon Ball Z (Banpresto)
You're not serious are you?

-Dragon Quest Monsters (Square Enix/Tose)
Never played the others. I like the DQ main series, but I never played Monsters as I can only deal with one Pokemon at once.

-Dynasty Warriors DS (Koei/Omega Force)
Also on PSP.

-Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix)
Please... Crystal Chronicles was bad on the GCN and it'll be bad on the DS. Four Swords bitch slapped that turd.

-Frogger 2005 (Konami/KCES)

-Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom)
Who knows that this is?

-Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
When was this officially announced?

-Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
Looks like Mario Kart on the PSX. Only Mario Karts I've liked were the SNES and GBA ones. The N64 and Cube ones weren't as fun.

-Megaman Battle Network (Capcom)
The Megaman Battle Network series is crap. I won't touch the GBA games and I won't touch the DS or PSP ones. Or the console one if it's done. Or even the PC one if it's done.

-Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo)
No, I don't like having to tap that retarded screen to shoot.

-Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (Bandai)

-Monster Rancher (Tecmo)
Huh? How are you going to put in the CD to generate your monster??

-Mr Driller (Namco/Driller Project)

-Need for Speed (Electronic Arts)
Also on PSP

-New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)
Need to see more. The E3 tech demo looked like some homebrew fan project.

-Nintendogs (Nintendo)
WTF?

-One Piece (Bandai)

-Pac n' Roll (Namco/Nintendo)

-Pac-Pix (Namco)

-Picto-Chat (Nintendo)

-Project Rub (Sega)

-Rayman (UbiSoft)
Rayman hasn't been good since Rayman 2. And those people are so split up with some doing Beyond Good & Evil and others doing Tork.

-Sonic DS (Sega/Sonic Team)
I'll wait until I see the actual game, not a tech demo.

-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
Also on PSP.

-SpongeBob SquarePants (THQ)

-Super Mario 64x4 (Nintendo)
It's gonna ROCK with the DIGITAL PAD, YO!

-Super Robot Taisen (Banpresto)
Nope. And if you think this will ever come to the US you are on some hardcore crack.

-Ultimate Games (TeleGames/Cosmigo)
WTF?

-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (Konami/KCEJ)
Needs to go away.

-Viewtiful Joe DS (Capcom/Clover Studio)
Also on PSP

-Wario Ware, Inc. DS (Nintendo)
I own the GBA game. I beat it. I didn't buy the GCN version, and have no need for the DS one.

-tba project (Argonaut)
-tba project (Engine)
-tba project (Majesco)
-tba project (Nintendo/EAD)
-tba project (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
-tba project (Vivendi Universal)
-tba projects (Atari)
-tba projects (Bandai)
-tba projects (Electronic Arts)
-tba projects (From Software)
-tba projects (Hudson)
-tba projects (Rare)
-tba RPG (Namco)
-tba RPG (Nintendo/Brownie Brown)
-tba RPG (Square Enix/Matsuno)
-tba soccer (Dino Dini/DC Studios)

Wow, that "tba" series must be pretty popular!

mashoutposse

Ante Up
jarrod said:

$5 x 10,000,000 units = $50 million.

UFC PRIDE

Yes! Here comes the classic 'Make a game list with comments why you hate every single game on it' You guys crack me up.

Wait I got a few more excuses to put under there:

"Look at the character model! LMAO!!111!!!"

"Teh menu screen looks so ghey - I'l never buy this."

"OMG this game is in 2D!!! Teh suck!"

The funniest one is the person saying that Mario Kart looks like a PSONE game - then saying he didn't like the N64 or GC ones, but like the technologically inferior ones on SNES - and the one on a portable - GBA. Classic reasoning.

But what's really funny about

ManaByte said:
those are the types of games I want to play

is that he's referring to a virtual pet simulator, two Dreamcast ports, a PS1 port, a game that's also on the DS, a card battle game, and Armored Core.

He won't play Castlevania on the DS unless it's in 3D... but he's all over Vampire Chronicle.

He won't tickle Pikachu... but he'll raise and cuddle Sony's scary catlike organism.

Transparent.

ManaByte

Gold Member
UFC PRIDE said:
The funniest one is the person saying that Mario Kart looks like a PSONE game - then saying he didn't like the N64 or GC ones, but like the technologically inferior ones on SNES - and the one on a portable - GBA. Classic reasoning.

Because the SNES and GBA ones were more FUN. The tracks were tighter. The N64 had those super wide tracks and the multiplayer races weren't as fun or tight as on the 16-bit versions. The GCN one was just broken.

Technology doesn't make Mario Kart a better game.

Soul4ger

Kobun Heat said:
But what's really funny about

is that he's referring to a virtual pet simulator, two Dreamcast ports, a PS1 port, a game that's also on the DS, a card battle game, and Armored Core.

He won't play Castlevania on the DS unless it's in 3D... but he's all over Vampire Chronicle.

He won't tickle Pikachu... but he'll raise and cuddle Sony's scary catlike organism.

Transparent.

SOMEONE RING THE BELL. This fight is OVER.

Top Bottom