• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Hands-on at PS Meeting 2004

Keio

For a Finer World
So is this the first time playable PSP software has been shown, or are these still emulated on a pc hidden somewhere?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kobun Heat said:
But what's really funny about

is that he's referring to a virtual pet simulator, two Dreamcast ports, a PS1 port, a game that's also on the DS, a card battle game, and Armored Core.

He won't play Castlevania on the DS unless it's in 3D... but he's all over Vampire Chronicle.

He won't tickle Pikachu... but he'll raise and cuddle Sony's scary catlike organism.

Transparent.

I never said I wouldn't play Castlevania if it was 3D. I said it DEPENDS if it was 2D or 3D. If it's 3D it's crap. Nice of you to put words into someone's mouth to fit your agenda.

Since you seem so interested, these are the PSP games I want:

Japanese Games that are coming to the US:
CAPCOM
Breath of Fire
Vampire Chronicle (tentative name, fighting)
Devil May Cry Series (tentative name, stylish action)
Viewtiful Joe Series (tentative name, VFX action)

KONAMI
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (tentative name, action-RPG) - And it's coming to the US!!!

KONAMI COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT JAPAN
Metal Gear Acid (tentative name, genre TBA)

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT
Gran Turismo 4 Mobile (tentative name, driving)
Ape Escape (Sarugetcha in Japan, tentative name, action)
Hot Shots Golf (Minna no Golf in Japan, tentative name, golf game)

NAMCO
Tales of Eternia(RPG)
New Ridge Racer (tentative name, race)

FROM SOFTWARE
Armored Core Formula Front (mech game)

More Games:
Burnout Series
Dynasty Warriors
EverQuest: Champions of Norrath series
Gran Turismo 4 Mobile
Jax and Daxter
MediEvil
NBA Street
Need for Speed Underground
NFL Street
Puyo Pop Fever
SOCOM PSP
Spider-Man 2
Syphon Filer: Logan's Shadow
Tokyo Xtreme Racing
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Transformers PSP
Twisted Metal
Wip3out

Those are the PSP games that I want.

jarrod

Banned
While you're certianly entiled to your own opinions Mana, I feel the need to correct some of your false assumptions and answer some questions...

ManaByte said:
-Bomberman DS (Hudson)
Also on PSP.
-Dynasty Warriors DS (Koei/Omega Force)
Also on PSP.
Actually no, both seem to be different games entirely. DW in particular is more of a stragey focused game on DS, while the PSP game is a traditional slash 'em up.

ManaByte said:
-Cerulean Dreams (tba/Mezco)
Who knows that this is?
It's a 2D shooter iirc.

ManaByte said:
-Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom)
Who knows that this is?
It's a popular court room adventure/sim. Probably the best JP series we've missed out on this generation.

ManaByte said:
-Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
When was this officially announced?
Well, as official as Aounuma's word can be. :)

ManaByte said:
-Megaman Battle Network (Capcom)
The Megaman Battle Network series is crap. I won't touch the GBA games and I won't touch the DS or PSP ones. Or the console one if it's done. Or even the PC one if it's done.
I know I mentioned being entitled to one's own opinion earlier, but when said opinion is so fundamentally wrong it's hard to maintain equal standards. Sorry, MMBN isn't crap, your taste is.

Also, there's no PSP MMBN game.

ManaByte said:
-Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo)
No, I don't like having to tap that retarded screen to shoot.
You don't have to, there's an alternative setup.

ManaByte said:
-Monster Rancher (Tecmo)
Huh? How are you going to put in the CD to generate your monster??
I suspect they'll use GBA carts in place of CDs.

ManaByte said:
-Need for Speed (Electronic Arts)
Also on PSP
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
Also on PSP.
-Viewtiful Joe DS (Capcom/Clover Studio)
Also on PSP
Really though, we don't know they'll be the exact same games. I'd think each would capitalize on PSP's higher spec or DS' additional gameplay options?

ManaByte said:
-Nintendogs (Nintendo)
WTF?
Looks to be a Nintendo dog simulator. Maybe like Sony or Sega's dog walking games?

ManaByte said:
-Pac n' Roll (Namco/Nintendo)
You're not serious are you?
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
You're not serious are you?
Er why not? Both look excellent and fairly innovative, Roll in particular reminds me of an adventure focused Monkey Ball. I think both might get combined in a Pac-Man variety/party game though for release, Pix isn't really strong enough for it's own game it seems so far.

ManaByte said:
-Rayman (UbiSoft)
Rayman hasn't been good since Rayman 2. And those people are so split up with some doing Beyond Good & Evil and others doing Tork.
So what if it's a Rayman 2 port?

ManaByte said:
-Sonic DS (Sega/Sonic Team)
I'll wait until I see the actual game, not a tech demo.
Why not extend the same courtesy to those 24 PSP games then? ;)

ManaByte said:
-Robot Taisen (Banpresto)
Nope. And if you think this will ever come to the US you are on some hardcore crack.
I don't think it's US bound and never implied as much.

ManaByte said:
-Wario Ware, Inc. DS (Nintendo)
I own the GBA game. I beat it. I didn't buy the GCN version, and have no need for the DS one.
Sure, who needs the sequel when you've got the original game. I guess you won't be picking up Halo 2 either? ;)

ManaByte said:
Wow, that "tba" series must be pretty popular!
For sure, it's even got a healther representation on PSP.

UFC PRIDE

Heh, don't you have a PS2/XBX to play those games on already? Seems to me, practicaly all of these games are miniturized PS2 versions.

jarrod

Banned
ManaByte said:
Since you seem so interested, these are the PSP games I want:

Japanese Games that are coming to the US:
Breath of Fire
Doesn't exist. IGN confused Bandai's new PSP RPG for a BOF game. Capcom's only announced Vampire, DMC and Joe for PSP.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
psm_213.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
UFC PRIDE said:
Heh, don't you have a PS2/XBX to play those games on already? Seems to me, practicaly all of these games are miniturized PS2 versions.

If someone could direct me to where I can get that new Armored Core game on the PS2/Xbox I'd agree.

And GT4 PS2 doesn't support custom soundtracks, and that's something they're working on for the PSP version. Put your music on a memory stick, plug it into the PSP, and you have custom soundtracks. :D

jarrod

Banned
ManaByte said:
Because the SNES and GBA ones were more FUN. The tracks were tighter. The N64 had those super wide tracks and the multiplayer races weren't as fun or tight as on the 16-bit versions. The GCN one was just broken.

Technology doesn't make Mario Kart a better game.
Looking at the fact it'll reuse the SNES/GBA control setup most likely, who's to say the DS Mario Kart won't play more like them also?

UFC PRIDE said:

Even if that's the case, it still allows you to play PS2 level games on a handheld so you can go around playing it. No one complained about the GB being just a portable NES basically (minus the color at first).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kobun Heat said:
That's still the same fundamentally flawed blanket statement, but now it's got a giant laundry list attached to it.

How the fuck is stating the games that I want flawed? I am buying the PSP for games that I want, not what Nintendo tells me I should want.

I'll get a DS when there is more than just Animal Crossing on it. Most likely after Zelda is actually shown for it.

Keio

For a Finer World
Before I'm willing to assign any relevance to this pissing contest about better line-ups:

Are these PSP games RUNNING on proper hardware? Is this what can be expected of final games or still demonstrations on "emulated hardware"?

ManaByte said:
How the fuck is stating the games that I want flawed? I am buying the PSP for games that I want, not what Nintendo tells me I should want.
It's not so much the statement of games that you want but the fact that you want pretty much *everything* that Japan is going to produce on the PSP but pretty much *nothing* that they're going to put on the DS even though you haven't seen half of them and have no idea what they will be like or when they will be released.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Keio said:
Before I'm willing to assign any relevance to this pissing contest about better line-ups:

Are these PSP games RUNNING on proper hardware? Is this what can be expected of final games or still demonstrations on "emulated hardware"?

Oh yea, I forgot. This is all just a smokescreen from Sony. The final PSP hardware will hardly be better than the GBA :D

jarrod

Banned
ManaByte said:
I'll get a DS when there is more than just Animal Crossing on it.
But there is more than just Animal Crossing, we've already listed the multitude of games coming. We can't help your fundamentally flawed opinions and standards though sorry, you're on your own there. :p

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
End the pissing match and get back on-topic or this thread is doomed.

Freeburn.

Freeburn said:
End the pissing match and get back on-topic or this thread is doomed.
Okay:

Kobun Heat said:
By the way, was this the whole of the playable game lineup? I'm not seeing any launch titles that I really want to jump on. I see one or two if I was already getting a PSP at launch and wanted some more games...

Specifically, I'd probably get Vampire Chronicle just for the hell of it. But I wouldn't pay $300+ just for a port of an (admittedly rare) game that I already own. Same thing with Eternia.

I'd probably buy Metal Gear Acid too, but that kinda depends on what the gameplay is like.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Latest issue of PSM has a huge video of all the PSP games announced at E3, and it's surprisingly good quality (they filmed it off the wall mounted LCD screen) Best looking game of the bunch IMO is Wipeout. The track architecture is quite gorgeous, use of color spot-on, and the animation is smooth as baby's bottom. To think all those games were announced based on 8MB memory spec... TGS can't come soon enough :)

Why on EARTH would you get the cross-platform titles on the DS? Dynasty Warriors DS should be hilarious. Hilarious as in eye-woundingly awful with PSOne-era visuals, of course.

Then again, why would I bother with a DS when I have this:

B00005QXA1.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Virtually identical 1996-era 2D/3D, better screen and controller, and has a better library of games!

Hilarious as in eye-woundingly awful with PSOne-era visuals, of course.

You know, it's a tough choice. . .

Last gen graphics I can see or several generations forgotten graphics that are still a pain in the ass to see under normal lighting conditions.

My current state of satisfaction with the GBAsp as a portable increases! >:|

I really love the games, but god damn it - Can't Nintendo get the whole PART YOU LOOK AT ALL THE FUCKING TIME right?

It's fine in the dark.

It's fine in direct sunlight.

It's a pain in the ass to play in a car thanks to reflections and what not.

I'm pretty close to just hocking my GBAsp and just playing all my GBA software on the GBA Player. >:|

. . . and it was then I realized, they may well be talking about the Nintendo Demographic Segmenter. @_@

ManaByte

Gold Member
Drinky Crow said:
Why on EARTH would you get the cross-platform titles on the DS? Dynasty Warriors DS should be hilarious. Hilarious as in eye-woundingly awful with PSOne-era visuals, of course.

Then again, why would I bother with a DS when I have this:

B00005QXA1.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Virtually identical 2D/3D, better screen and controller, and has a better library of games!

Shame that Sony stopped making those :(

PSOne + LCD Screen = gift from god.

Drinky Crow said:
I don't think DW is "cross-platform" so much as they're putting a different game bearing the franchise moniker on each system.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
I know I mentioned being entitled to one's own opinion earlier, but when said opinion is so fundamentally wrong it's hard to maintain equal standards. Sorry, MMBN isn't crap, your taste is.

MMBN was kind of average and cliché though. And I'm not just saying that to mess with you, jarrod. :p

Anyway, I hope they'll release a new Kururin game for DS. I bet it could turn out really cool if they used the touch screen in a good way. Now, THAT would make me buy a DS!

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
MMBN was kind of average and cliché though. And I'm not just saying that to mess with you, jarrod. :p
The first was a bit pedestrian and limited but starting with MMBN2 the series really started to shine. It was a leap forward really... at the least it's far from crap.

Izzy

Banned
PSP is so awesome. I'm going to buy it at lauch. Darkstalkers Chronicles, Wipeout and Tales of Eternia are too tempting for me to resist.

Barring EVERYTHING else, I say analog nipple >>>>>> Stylus for gaming.

And I say that as a 7 year PDA stylus gamer. I even tried gaming on my Cintiq, which is an active digitiser LCD (DS/PDAs are passive/touch only). The only none RTS games that benefitted from those are very gimmicky/kitchy stuff.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Does anyone have a side on pic of the PSP? I want a look at those shoulder buttons. They look like they might dig into you after a while.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Alright, time to put this news to some perspective:

(1) Were the games actually playable or video only?

(2) Were the games running on the actual unit or as a feed from a PC?

Pardon my scepticism, but these look like the PSP shells as nailed to a wall as in E3, with a feed possibly from beneath.

Wireless LAN info + UMD costs.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/12/news_6102335.html

Gamespot said:
Sony also revealed that up to 16 PSPs can connect together using the device's wireless LAN. The PSP will be able to run its wireless LAN in ad-hoc mode, meaning devices can directly communicate without the need of a central hub device. Sony reps also confirmed that the PSP will be able to connect to the PlayStation 2 through its USB port.

During the conference, SCE presented an innovative translation program for the PSP called Talkman. Currently in development, Talkman will be able to interpret nine different languages with voice output. SCEI will release Talkman simultaneously with the PSP’s launch in Japan.

In other hardware-related news, Sony Computer Entertainment’s Fumiya Takeno revealed in the conference that the production cost of the UMD, the media used by the PSP, is about the same as a DVD, at 250 yen ($2.30) per disk.

jarrod said:
DVDs are $2.30 per disc? I seriously doubt that...

Those numbers are based on the whole of the DVD prodution, including DVD case, instructions, etc. Basically, what they charge third parties on a per disc basis for manufacturing.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Those numbers are based on the whole of the DVD prodution, including DVD case, instructions, etc. Basically, what they charge third parties on a per disc basis for manufacturing.
So they're quoting their own DVD manufacturing cost fees rather than actual production costs? I dunno, I just don't believe that a propietary, caddy encased optial media disc could come in lower than industry standard widesperead dual layer DVD. Or are these quotes forecasts?

Top Bottom